The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

GOLD! A new marketing tool I'm using with ridiculous ROI

Ken Elshoff

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Apr 21, 2015
Durant, Iowa
I have a couple questions:

Does anyone know of a service that will append phone numbers to a list of addresses that you upload? It makes sense that might be a missing piece of the puzzle for folks who have a list of addresses and want to know the phone numbers associated with those addresses.

Does anyone know of a service that will allow you to upload a list of phone numbers then it tells you which ones are landlines and which ones are cell phones? This might help save time for those who want to target cell phones only.

Become a Fastlane INSIDER to view the forum ad free.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
Don't forget..... make sure the service you choose to use does NOT ring the phone at all, not even a ding. If it dings the phone at all, it is not legal under certain circumstances. I think the company Johnny Boy mentioned does it legally.

Johnny boy

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
May 9, 2017
Washington State
I have a couple questions:

Does anyone know of a service that will append phone numbers to a list of addresses that you upload? It makes sense that might be a missing piece of the puzzle for folks who have a list of addresses and want to know the phone numbers associated with those addresses.

Does anyone know of a service that will allow you to upload a list of phone numbers then it tells you which ones are landlines and which ones are cell phones? This might help save time for those who want to target cell phones only.
Skip tracing services provide phone numbers for addresses if you have it formatted correctly. I use this for real estate. They need (First name, last name, street address, city, state, zip) all in their own boxes in an excel spreadsheet. You can get phone numbers for these people for .30 each. I use needtoskip.com and upload the file to their site and get numbers back in less than 2 days sometimes 1.

Johnny boy

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
May 9, 2017
Washington State
I was looking at this a few months ago for use in real estate, but in Florida it's illegal as of last year :bored:

I see that there are even attorneys focused on going after people using this tactic now, so be careful.
Ringless Voicemail Notifications? Receive $500 to $1500 Per Voicemail

Bummer, I liked this delivery mechanism.
You can filter numbers through the DNC, and it's still going to be a while until it's a problem in all states. AND, I have no problem finding loopholes such as using foreign companies when it does become illegal for any reason. I haven't ran into anyone getting mad about the messages because they sound personal, are highly focused, and are an offer to help the person.

edit: I think I might have my buddy report my number to see how they track me down so I can avoid leaving traces or how I can avoid anything sticking in court.

Scot

Ductus Exemplo
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
I wonder how long before marketers ruin it...
I had a local real estate agent run this one me once. She kept dropping voicemails on me and I had no clue how she was doing it.

Same BS line "I have you on a list for people I needed to follow up on.. blah blah blah.. give me a call" I wasn't selling or buying either. After the third time, I called back tore her a new one since I had texted the line several times to take me off the list.

If you keep spamming it, it gets annoying really quick.

Scot

Ductus Exemplo
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 10, 2016
Florida

Darius

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Apr 8, 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
Decided to run a test to verify it doesn't ring the phone - and it does. I have good cell service + connected to wifi - which may be affecting it. The phone might not have rung if my signal strength was low enough to not immediately catch the call.

It was half a ring from an unknown number and then <60 seconds later, a voicemail from the number I selected to show. I tested it on 2 different cell phones.

If @minivanman is right about the legal part of it, could be very risky.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
Decided to run a test to verify it doesn't ring the phone - and it does. I have good cell service + connected to wifi - which may be affecting it. The phone might not have rung if my signal strength was low enough to not immediately catch the call.

It was half a ring from an unknown number and then <60 seconds later, a voicemail from the number I selected to show. I tested it on 2 different cell phones.

If @minivanman is right about the legal part of it, could be very risky.
No, it either drops it in the box or it rings. It doesn't have anything to do with strong service.

Darius

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Apr 8, 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
No, it either drops it in the box or it rings. It doesn't have anything to do with strong service.
Got ya.

I'll only speak for T-Mobile - there have been times when someone will call me and if my signal strength is low, it will ring on their end for 5-10 seconds before ringing my phone at all.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
This tech has been around for a long time. I remember looking at it way back in my mortgage brokerage days (20+ years ago). Waaaay more expensive back then. Might be good to use when reaching out to potential retailers.

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ
getUnscripted.com
Thread moved to GOLD, some actionable stuff!!

Question is, how long does it remain actionable before it becomes a saturated technique, only to become a guru strategy of past marketing tactics that no longer work?

Thanks @Johnny boy - Rep+!!!

DustinH

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
May 24, 2017
Nashville
I've tried door-to-door sales, door hangers, sending physical mail, email marketing, PPC ads, Facebook ads, cold calling, craigslist, etc...

All of it "kinda" works. It's either too expensive, too inefficient, too tedious, too something.

I have a lawn care company and I've been doing some real estate wholesaling (to stay busy in the winter). I've been using all sorts of advertising and it never worked as well as I wanted.

I recently came across a website that sends people a recorded voicemail that you make, except the person thinks it is an actual person who left a voicemail, not a robocall they have to listen to. It doesn't ring their phone, just leaves a voicemail and says "missed call" from whichever number you choose. It's called SlyBroadcast.

So I tried it. I paid for 100 voicemails for $10. I uploaded a couple lists. Some for real estate (people who had ugly homes). And some for people I wanted to sign up for lawn care (numbers in my zip code for women over 40 who have nice homes).

I recorded one message saying "I drove by your home and wanted to see if you'd be interested in selling it to me" and another saying "I signed up your neighbor for lawn care and offered them 20% off if someone on their street signed up too so they gave me your number, call me back and lets sign you up so I can take 20% off for both of you".

I got back tons of calls, made appointments and signed people up, and got leads for real estate deals.

It cost me $10.

Depending on where you get your numbers, you might have to pay for that part. But for me it was cheap.

That's a mind-numbing ROI...

It's scalable, efficient, and best of all, it is ACTIVE marketing. It's not sitting around waiting for responses, you can tell in a couple hours if it works or not.

Think about it. What do you do if you see a facebook ad? "meh". A google ad? "meh". A robocall? You hate them. Telemarketers? Burn em alive. Physical mailers? Straight to the garbage. Someone leaving a voicemail that sounds personal? You're actually going to listen to that. They listen on their own time and nearly every single person will give a voicemail their undivided attention if it sounds like a human with a real message.

And it costs $0.10 down to $0.06 each if you buy in bulk. It doesn't charge for undelivered messages either.

I can think of a ton of ways to use this to kick a$$ in sales.

Car sales? Get a list of people recently discharged from bankruptcy and send them a voicemail saying you can help them get a car loan. Or send voicemails to all previous customers.

Digital marketing agency? Search for local services and upload every phone number that doesn't have a website link on their google business result, same with craigslist services. Send them a voicemail that you can build them a website.

I remember cold calling people when I worked as a car salesman, I would rather just take that list, upload the numbers to a system, spend a few bucks and get way more results without bothering people and annoying them.

I found this because I'm lazy. I hate knocking on doors. I hate bothering people with a phone call. I hate having to compete with facebook ads that don't convert. I hate sending expensive mailers that are going to get tossed in the trash. Every time I do something that will never scale, I get angry. When I find something that will scale, I get excited.

I'm not a salesperson for SlyBroadcast, I've posted on here for my lawn care company before.

Check it out. To be safe you might want to run numbers through the do-not-call list.

I'm very happy I found this. I'm going to use it as my primary marketing tool if it continues to perform this well.
I know some real estate people use this. I think it's also been called SlyDial in the past. It's great for targeting specific neighborhoods to a specific demographic. I know of a real estate brokerage here that is using it to leave messages on agents' phones to invite them to recruiting seminars (where they try to recruit them to their brokerage).

I hate cold calling. Tried it a few times but it sucks for me. I like to talk to people too much on the phone so I'm very inefficient at it. A 3 minute conversation always turns into a 15 minute one. Maybe it's a southern thing. But I like this tool because it's use of leverage and saving time. More people should use it in their business to get the word out on an offer. It doesn't ring your phone but you automatically get a voicemail and most people will check their voicemail.

DustinH

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
May 24, 2017
Nashville
I think we should setup a SlyBroadcast promo code for the Fastlane Forum and get a discount for all Fastlaners that sign up. We are giving them some free marketing on here.

jcvlds

JC
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jul 9, 2016
Mexico > Texas > Florida
I think we should setup a SlyBroadcast promo code for the Fastlane Forum and get a discount for all Fastlaners that sign up. We are giving them some free marketing on here.
Take it on. Reach out to them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ
getUnscripted.com
Damn, where's @IceCreamKid -- this stuff is right up his alley!

Doesn't look like it's available as an affiliate program. :hilarious:

IceCreamKid

With Great Power Comes Great Electricity Bill
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Jun 8, 2010
California
Damn, where's @IceCreamKid -- this stuff is right up his alley!
I've been using Slydial to leave voicemails for clients 1 week after their appointment just to say the usual, "Thanks for your business. If there's anything you need I'm here for you".

I've never heard of SlyBroadcast and am not sure if they're affiliated with Slydial, but I'll give the OP's strategy a go next week. I feel a bit nervous because this feels like borderline spamming people, but I suspect people don't mind voicemails nearly as much as robocalls.

Off topic, but for you offline guys looking for new channels for marketing...give Google Local Services a shot. It didn't work out for my niche, but I've heard it working way better in other niches resulting in a lot of $$$ saved vs their former Google AdWords campaigns.

fdolas

New Contributor
Jan 14, 2019
I've been using Slydial to leave voicemails for clients 1 week after their appointment just to say the usual, "Thanks for your business. If there's anything you need I'm here for you".

I've never heard of SlyBroadcast and am not sure if they're affiliated with Slydial, but I'll give the OP's strategy a go next week. I feel a bit nervous because this feels like borderline spamming people, but I suspect people don't mind voicemails nearly as much as robocalls.

Off topic, but for you offline guys looking for new channels for marketing...give Google Local Services a shot. It didn't work out for my niche, but I've heard it working way better in other niches resulting in a lot of $$$ saved vs their former Google AdWords campaigns.
Thank you for the Google Local Services tip. Looks like a great if your business provides one of the approved services. Mine doesn't fit but hopefully they'll expand it in the future.

UnrealCreative

It's Only The Beginning.
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Sep 20, 2016
San Juan
Witnessed the dark side of this today.

Someone left a blank voicemail from a local number.

It's fairly common for me to get silent voicemails, as the person on the other line will just call back, text, do something else. Whatever.

First thought was "Huh! I wonder who that was."

*click*

"...blah blah blah blah blah HEALTH INSURANCE ENROLLMENT."

I wasn't even a qualified lead. Just curious who called.

Ah ffs...

Charnell

Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Oct 12, 2014
South Dakota
Well, just tested in on my phone and it rang. Twice. Two missed restricted calls.

Will still use it for B2B either later in the evening or early in the morning.

Ken Elshoff

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Apr 21, 2015
Durant, Iowa
You can filter numbers through the DNC, and it's still going to be a while until it's a problem in all states. AND, I have no problem finding loopholes such as using foreign companies when it does become illegal for any reason. I haven't ran into anyone getting mad about the messages because they sound personal, are highly focused, and are an offer to help the person.

edit: I think I might have my buddy report my number to see how they track me down so I can avoid leaving traces or how I can avoid anything sticking in court.
Skip tracing services provide phone numbers for addresses if you have it formatted correctly. I use this for real estate. They need (First name, last name, street address, city, state, zip) all in their own boxes in an excel spreadsheet. You can get phone numbers for these people for .30 each. I use needtoskip.com and upload the file to their site and get numbers back in less than 2 days sometimes 1.

Out of curiosity, does needtoskip tell you whether the numbers they are giving you are cell or landlines?

piesandak47

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Mar 7, 2014
It has been around for at least 3 years, as far as I recall. Marketers are mostly introverts, so it won't saturate.

Same reason cold calling is still effective.
Agreed. Most "online marketers" will bend over backwards to NOT talk to an actual human being.

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ
getUnscripted.com
Any more stories from those who tried this technique due to this thread?

Valor

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Jan 1, 2014
Pennsylvania
This tech has been around for a long time. I remember looking at it way back in my mortgage brokerage days (20+ years ago). Waaaay more expensive back then. Might be good to use when reaching out to potential retailers.
Exactly my thoughts when I read this. If I end up pursuing more wholesale accounts later this year, I'm now planning to make a list of prospects and leave them an email with a "soft" pitch basically asking if they're interested in receiving free samples, and then go from there.

AniM

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Apr 11, 2018
DC
I'm just getting started wholesaling real estate and I'm going to try this method.

Right now I've built a small buyers list but I need to get a business entity before I start marketing.

Love to chat with anyone else who's using it for real estate. I have a lot to learn

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

PizzaOnTheRoof

1% Better Every Day
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
About to try this out and would like some feedback on my voicemail script. Trying to keep it fast and casual since it's only a voicemail.

The target market is local service businesses and tradesmen.

Hey, this is ____ from _______.

The reason I called is to schedule an appointment with you about how my team and I can get you some more phone calls to your business every week.

If you're interested, I would love to schedule a call or meeting with you sometime this week.

I'm available from 9am to 4pm, Monday through Friday, so feel free give me a callback or text and we can move forward.

Look forward to speaking with you, bye.

floridaman

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Dec 28, 2018
Orlando, FL
About to try this out and would like some feedback on my voicemail script. Trying to keep it fast and casual since it's only a voicemail.

The target market is local service businesses and tradesmen.

Hey, this is ____ from _______.

The reason I called is to schedule an appointment with you about how my team and I can get you some more phone calls to your business every week.

If you're interested, I would love to schedule a call or meeting with you sometime this week.

I'm available from 9am to 4pm, Monday through Friday, so feel free give me a callback or text and we can move forward.

Look forward to speaking with you, bye.
The only thing I would add is a piece about them making more money, closing more sales. You DO mention that you can get them some more phone calls, which is good. But what do they really want? More time or money, so connect your value prop (more calls) to what they want (more deals closed/more money/more time). "The reason I called is to schedule an appointment with you and show you how I can get you more phone calls to your business each week, so you can close more sales and make more money."

That's my 2 cents! I'd love to hear feedback from others.

PizzaOnTheRoof

1% Better Every Day
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
The only thing I would add is a piece about them making more money, closing more sales. You DO mention that you can get them some more phone calls, which is good. But what do they really want? More time or money, so connect your value prop (more calls) to what they want (more deals closed/more money/more time). "The reason I called is to schedule an appointment with you and show you how I can get you more phone calls to your business each week, so you can close more sales and make more money."

That's my 2 cents! I'd love to hear feedback from others.
Thanks! That makes sense. Too bad I already sent it out haha.

I'll edit it for the next 50 I send out though.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
gonna use this lol

Hi whats up?

My name is Tim,

I am a chef and started a food delivery business which does gourmet food for people who are time poor..yeh gourmet as in like the best food ever like not cheap calories in a box meals…. I only want to do it for a few people as you know I put so much effort into these meals I don’t have time to do a gazillion a week. Think of me as your personal chef who delivers your food in a doggy bag……ok not a doggie bag that sounds wrong… more like vacuum sealed so it keeps nice and fresh. I guess it’s a company for gym junkies or not I honestly have no idea right now. I mean all the calories are counted and provided on the menu. But anyone can eat right……. so ah yeh basically I was bored and picked up a phone book and thought id give you a buzz. Anyway ah yeh feel free to shoot me a message on ********** to get a menu you could call but ill probably be in food service and also I hate getting sales calls from randoms so I never pick up the phone if I don’t know who it is…cough.. all good ill call you back if I know who you are.

This will be fun hahahahaha

focusedlife

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Mar 16, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
WizBangLink.com
This thread is insanely good.

I knew of Ringless Voice Drops for a minute and I knew of one guru type dude that was doing this some way, somehow related to the car industry (Syd Michaels I believe is his name).

Anyways, I definitely see opportunity and lots of ruinous potential from other damn marketers.

With that being said, I think the stuff Jon Buchan has (Charming Offensive Guy) some funny sales scripts for sale that folks could really benefit from.

Basically what he does (if you haven't heard of him) is uses his style of what he calls charmingly offensive humor in his cold outreach and has a ton of folks claiming results using his style.

All the stuff is fairly formulated (he studies & uses comedy formulas)

Here's a mini checklist of what I think is everything one would need based on what I've read and piecemealed together to make hay while the sun is out:

Dang, you could pretty much offer this as a service, huh?

You could be a full on omni-present lead gen service provider.

*I'll script the message and outreach folks using ringless voice drop, linkedin, and email

I wonder what folks might pay for a bundled service like that?

mobonobo

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Apr 27, 2014
London
Hi guys, a bit late to the party here. So I called Slybroadcasts and didn't get through, instant chat was a bit of a non starter too.

I called these guys who are a client and use the service for their call centre clients Better Contact Center Software | My Call Cloud Call Center Solutions and they use it for both debt management calls and solar, so your affiliate type niches. I was thinking would it be good lead gen source for B2B but he said they have no B2B clients. It onlty works calling a cell phone and not an office phone and what exec is publishing their cell phone on any kind of email opt in marketing list.

Unless I've missed something here, I think this would form part of a funnel e.g Facebook lead ad/Google ad > voicemail > call back > close

Anyone actually signed up and tried it? Also, I wonder if its available in Europe or U.S only?

Agree with @focusedlife think it would need a couple of angles/channels to get people to convert.

focusedlife

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Mar 16, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
WizBangLink.com
"I signed up your neighbor for lawn care and offered them 20% off if someone on their street signed up too so they gave me your number, call me back and lets sign you up so I can take 20% off for both of you".
@Johnny boy would you mind if I ask, how did you reply to the folks that called in and were like "Who gave you my number?" (assuming that might've happened a few times, no?).

Trying to get ideas to smooth through those initial awkward stages when first breaking the ice with folks.

Any helpful feedback is much appreciated.

Johnny boy

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
May 9, 2017
Washington State
@Johnny boy would you mind if I ask, how did you reply to the folks that called in and were like "Who gave you my number?" (assuming that might've happened a few times, no?).

Trying to get ideas to smooth through those initial awkward stages when first breaking the ice with folks.

Any helpful feedback is much appreciated.
*555-5555 calls me and I write down the number*

"Hello this is johnny boy lawn care"

"Hi, you said a neighbor gave you my number. Who was it?"

"Ah, yes let me check my notes...looks like Rachel gave me your number.. 555-5455 right?" (repeat back the wrong number by one digit)

"No this is 555-5555, who tf is Rachel?"

"Oh I'm so sorry! I dialed the wrong number! You don't happen to live in (city) do you?"

"I do"

"Oh, sweet! Let me enter you in to win free lawn care in our raffle. It's the least I can do for taking up your time. Do you currently use a lawn care company or plan to this year?"

"I'm considering it"

"Awesome, well let's get you a free quote and then we'll enter you in to win free lawn care. I just need some info real quick. Address and email?"

"billbuttlicker@gmail.com and 420 69th ave sw, Beverly hills 90210"

"awesome and does today or tomorrow afternoon work for your free appointment to get that quote? I can be there during the afternoon. It will only take a few minutes"

"uh, 4:30 should work"

"great see you then"

*meet with him and try to sign him up on a contract*

"Funny how all this happened from me dialing the wrong number. Life is funny that way".

Red

Nigerian Lottery Prince
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Feb 23, 2010
Phoenix
Alrighty, gonna try this out.

Looks like I can get the zip code I want from telephonelists & they claim they've scrubbed it against the DNC list & it's a combo of landlines & cell phones.

Slybroadcast claims this works on both types of phone lines. And I can stagger the VM message drop so I'm not blasting 800 people all at once. I'll be staggering them on a coming weekend day when I have no clients scheduled & can field any potential phone calls.

I'll also be creating the VM message from inside my car, as I'm basically asking people if the big a$$ garage house I'm driving by is theirs, haha.

Total investment:

$79 for the zip code with 853 numbers
$60 for 1000 VM's of my pre-recorded message sent out
Total investment, $139 bucks & an hour or two of my time.

Researched AZ law & there seems to be nothing on the books showing this as illegal here.

I'll report back with results.

Kyle T

Aspiring Super Hero
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Aug 22, 2018
Utah
MeasureTwiceMedia.com
Thank you again for this... Closed my first deal using this method.

On Wednesday. Used a VA to scrape 400 phone numbers: $12

On Thursday. I use SlyBroadcastst to drop voicemail, only 200 were successful. Cost: $16

On Friday, I closed a deal in which the client is paying $600 /month.

FoxFire21

Contributor
Speedway Pass
Sep 11, 2013
Kentucky
Thank you again for this... Closed my first deal using this method.

On Wednesday. Used a VA to scrape 400 phone numbers: $12

On Thursday. I use SlyBroadcastst to drop voicemail, only 200 were successful. Cost: $16

On Friday, I closed a deal in which the client is paying $600 /month.
Where did you scrape the phone numbers from? Are you B2B, or B2C?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom