The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  • Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs who are earning their freedom and living their dream.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane) Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block.

GOLD! A new marketing tool I'm using with ridiculous ROI

Johnny boy

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
May 9, 2017
Washington State
@Johnny boy would you mind if I ask, how did you reply to the folks that called in and were like "Who gave you my number?" (assuming that might've happened a few times, no?).

Trying to get ideas to smooth through those initial awkward stages when first breaking the ice with folks.

Any helpful feedback is much appreciated.
*555-5555 calls me and I write down the number*

"Hello this is johnny boy lawn care"

"Hi, you said a neighbor gave you my number. Who was it?"

"Ah, yes let me check my notes...looks like Rachel gave me your number.. 555-5455 right?" (repeat back the wrong number by one digit)

"No this is 555-5555, who tf is Rachel?"

"Oh I'm so sorry! I dialed the wrong number! You don't happen to live in (city) do you?"

"I do"

"Oh, sweet! Let me enter you in to win free lawn care in our raffle. It's the least I can do for taking up your time. Do you currently use a lawn care company or plan to this year?"

"I'm considering it"

"Awesome, well let's get you a free quote and then we'll enter you in to win free lawn care. I just need some info real quick. Address and email?"

"billbuttlicker@gmail.com and 420 69th ave sw, Beverly hills 90210"

"awesome and does today or tomorrow afternoon work for your free appointment to get that quote? I can be there during the afternoon. It will only take a few minutes"

"uh, 4:30 should work"

"great see you then"

*meet with him and try to sign him up on a contract*

"Funny how all this happened from me dialing the wrong number. Life is funny that way".

Red

Nigerian Lottery Prince
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Feb 23, 2010
Phoenix
Alrighty, gonna try this out.

Looks like I can get the zip code I want from telephonelists & they claim they've scrubbed it against the DNC list & it's a combo of landlines & cell phones.

Slybroadcast claims this works on both types of phone lines. And I can stagger the VM message drop so I'm not blasting 800 people all at once. I'll be staggering them on a coming weekend day when I have no clients scheduled & can field any potential phone calls.

I'll also be creating the VM message from inside my car, as I'm basically asking people if the big a$$ garage house I'm driving by is theirs, haha.

Total investment:

$79 for the zip code with 853 numbers
$60 for 1000 VM's of my pre-recorded message sent out
Total investment, $139 bucks & an hour or two of my time.

Researched AZ law & there seems to be nothing on the books showing this as illegal here.

I'll report back with results.

Kyle T

Aspiring Super Hero
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Aug 22, 2018
Utah
MeasureTwiceMedia.com
Thank you again for this... Closed my first deal using this method.

On Wednesday. Used a VA to scrape 400 phone numbers: $12

On Thursday. I use SlyBroadcastst to drop voicemail, only 200 were successful. Cost: $16

On Friday, I closed a deal in which the client is paying $600 /month.

FoxFire21

Contributor
Speedway Pass
Sep 11, 2013
Kentucky

On Thursday. I use SlyBroadcastst to drop voicemail, only 200 were successful. Cost: $16

Where did you scrape the phone numbers from? Are you B2B, or B2C?

BlackMagician

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 18, 2018
India
Geeknotics.com

Hi Kyle,

Awesome Execution!
How do you start the pitch for web design and SEO service?

I so wish to try this, but here in India, there is no concept of voicemail. No one uses it. I am trying to implement this via whatsapp if I can get the whatsapp numbers.

Last edited:

FoxFire21

Contributor
Speedway Pass
Sep 11, 2013
Kentucky
Alrighty, gonna try this out.

Looks like I can get the zip code I want from telephonelists & they claim they've scrubbed it against the DNC list & it's a combo of landlines & cell phones.

Slybroadcast claims this works on both types of phone lines. And I can stagger the VM message drop so I'm not blasting 800 people all at once. I'll be staggering them on a coming weekend day when I have no clients scheduled & can field any potential phone calls.

I'll also be creating the VM message from inside my car, as I'm basically asking people if the big a$$ garage house I'm driving by is theirs, haha.

Total investment:

$79 for the zip code with 853 numbers
$60 for 1000 VM's of my pre-recorded message sent out
Total investment, $139 bucks & an hour or two of my time.

Researched AZ law & there seems to be nothing on the books showing this as illegal here.

I'll report back with results.
My agreement specifically states it's not scrubbed. Just looking out. It may be different state to state.

Reactions: Red

Red

Nigerian Lottery Prince
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Feb 23, 2010
Phoenix
My agreement specifically states it's not scrubbed. Just looking out. It may be different state to state.
Thanks for the heads up, I read all the fine print, always, but I have yet to pull the trigger. I will report back on that specifically also when I'm able to make this happen. Much appreciated!

MJ DeMarco

Raving Lunatic
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Jul 23, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
getUnscripted.com

Tanu1234

Contributor
Aug 4, 2018
I've tried door-to-door sales, door hangers, sending physical mail, email marketing, PPC ads, Facebook ads, cold calling, craigslist, etc...

All of it "kinda" works. It's either too expensive, too inefficient, too tedious, too something.

I have a lawn care company and I've been doing some real estate wholesaling (to stay busy in the winter). I've been using all sorts of advertising and it never worked as well as I wanted.

I recently came across a website that sends people a recorded voicemail that you make, except the person thinks it is an actual person who left a voicemail, not a robocall they have to listen to. It doesn't ring their phone, just leaves a voicemail and says "missed call" from whichever number you choose. It's called SlyBroadcast.

So I tried it. I paid for 100 voicemails for $10. I uploaded a couple lists. Some for real estate (people who had ugly homes). And some for people I wanted to sign up for lawn care (numbers in my zip code for women over 40 who have nice homes).

I recorded one message saying "I drove by your home and wanted to see if you'd be interested in selling it to me" and another saying "I signed up your neighbor for lawn care and offered them 20% off if someone on their street signed up too so they gave me your number, call me back and lets sign you up so I can take 20% off for both of you".

I got back tons of calls, made appointments and signed people up, and got leads for real estate deals.

It cost me $10.

Depending on where you get your numbers, you might have to pay for that part. But for me it was cheap.

That's a mind-numbing ROI...

It's scalable, efficient, and best of all, it is ACTIVE marketing. It's not sitting around waiting for responses, you can tell in a couple hours if it works or not.

Think about it. What do you do if you see a facebook ad? "meh". A google ad? "meh". A robocall? You hate them. Telemarketers? Burn em alive. Physical mailers? Straight to the garbage. Someone leaving a voicemail that sounds personal? You're actually going to listen to that. They listen on their own time and nearly every single person will give a voicemail their undivided attention if it sounds like a human with a real message.

And it costs $0.10 down to $0.06 each if you buy in bulk. It doesn't charge for undelivered messages either.

I can think of a ton of ways to use this to kick a$$ in sales.

Car sales? Get a list of people recently discharged from bankruptcy and send them a voicemail saying you can help them get a car loan. Or send voicemails to all previous customers.

Digital marketing agency? Search for local services and upload every phone number that doesn't have a website link on their google business result, same with craigslist services. Send them a voicemail that you can build them a website.

I remember cold calling people when I worked as a car salesman, I would rather just take that list, upload the numbers to a system, spend a few bucks and get way more results without bothering people and annoying them.

I found this because I'm lazy. I hate knocking on doors. I hate bothering people with a phone call. I hate having to compete with facebook ads that don't convert. I hate sending expensive mailers that are going to get tossed in the trash. Every time I do something that will never scale, I get angry. When I find something that will scale, I get excited.

I'm not a salesperson for SlyBroadcast, I've posted on here for my lawn care company before.

Check it out. To be safe you might want to run numbers through the do-not-call list.

I'm very happy I found this. I'm going to use it as my primary marketing tool if it continues to perform this well.
Sounds amazing[emoji54]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Janeter1nADrum

New Contributor
Feb 28, 2019
Mexico
I checked out this site. Looks like a good method, providing you already have the phone numbers of the prospects on your list. No list, no deal.

Johnny boy

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
May 9, 2017
Washington State

NICE!!!

mbilal

PARKED
Apr 7, 2018
Germany
How do you use this software?

In B2B, landline numbers are the norm, not mobile numbers. The software unfortunately does not accept landline numbers for me, does anyone have any tips for me?

Many Thanks

rynor

Bronze Contributor
Mar 15, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
The software unfortunately does not accept landline numbers for me, does anyone have any tips for me?
Have you already tried to send the messages? I uploaded 2x separate recipient lists with 100x numbers each, many of which were landlines, and didn't receive any errors.

Their FAQ states:
Slybroadcast can send voicemails to U.S. and Canadian mobile numbers and select landline phones. In order to be compatible, a landline must include a voicemailbox provided by their phone service provider. Slybroadcast does not connect to PBX. When sending to these types of phone systems, users may experience a short ring.

mbilal

PARKED
Apr 7, 2018
Germany
Thank you for your reply.

I would like to send out the messages, but the software does not even accept the landline numbers. I live in Europe maybe thats a problem?

And in my FAQ stands:
"No, Slybroadcast Global does not work to fixed phone lines. When sending or scheduling a campaign, our system will automatially remove any fixed phone numbers from your list."

Andy Daniels

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
May 29, 2017
Oregon
I used their "Try it Now" option and sent a message to my own phone. It rang for half a second from "UNKNOWN" and didn't leave me any voicemail...

Has this happened to anyone else? I'm going to ask their support team about it.

rjrobbins2

Bronze Contributor
Mar 20, 2019
Kansas City, MO
I worked in the mobile phone industry for years and I didnt even know this was possible. But, I am going to give it a try. My business is both B2C and B2B but this will not be good for B2B for my purposes.

I will let you guys know how it works out.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
May 27, 2013
United States
I've been using Slydial to leave voicemails for clients 1 week after their appointment just to say the usual, "Thanks for your business. If there's anything you need I'm here for you".
I just saw this thread, and this is exactly how I'd try this.

I was having my office woman call every customer, and mostly leaving the same voicemail anyways, but F*ck... a way to automate this would be great!

Last edited:

Greg R

Act, Assess, Adjust
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Oct 28, 2015
World Citizen
Not every marketing/sales tactic should be used for every single business.

You're better off selling your brushes via online traffic if it's an e-commerce business. However, if it's wholesale, then it could be effective by calling every single pet shop in the country.

Think about the idiot lawyers that have pinterest accounts and get zero leads. Is pinterest an effective marketing tool? If you're selling to women and the product can be easily purchased then yes. If you're offering a professional service, then no. Can you make it work? Yeah, you can make anything work. But is it an effective strategy? Definitely not.
Dude, I'm going to use this for my stores. ;)

Dianne Cohen

Contributor
Sep 7, 2018
This is very interesting. I have heard of it before but didn't know how I would put it to work in my buisness (residential painting).

I'm currently placing yard signs in front yards and blasting out a mailer to the surrounding houses (Usually 100).

I wonder if there is a way to buy a list of the phone numbers of all the houses I'm already mailing too.
There are a couple of ways. Try theredx.com . If that doesn't work for you, there are a couple of others. I think there is another place called Mojo. If you have a freind who is a realtor, they can get them for you for free.

FORUM SPONSOR

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Post thread…

Search the Forum

New Topics

FASTLANE INSIDERS

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!