The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

A new marketing tool I'm using with ridiculous ROI

21elnegocio

WholeFlips Wholesaling Houses Virtually
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Feb 28, 2012
Downtown Phoenix, AZ
Any more stories from those who tried this technique due to this thread?

I have tried Slydial, slybroadcast, and callfire all in the past. I like the one I am currently using for my whoesaling business right now. I hit my real estate leads through my cold calelrs, sms, and rvm's.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
617%
May 9, 2017
Washington State

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
I'm promoting rehab centers, how would I use this?

I can't call people up and say "Hey, this is Jimmy - I'm just calling to see if your loved one still had a meth problem. If so, I might be able to help you with that."

Great share OP.

And I'm looking for a serious answer to my question - perhaps its one of those niches not suited for this marketing method?

James Klymus

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 28, 2018
Chicago, Illinois
Have you considered buying small landscaping businesses in your area and taking over their book of business? If you can get seller financing, you can potentially get new business with essentially no money out of pocket.

I literally just finished interviewing a guy for my podcast that is doing just this -- he buys small landscaping companies for their equipment value, gets seller financing to keep his out of pocket costs low, and then consolidates their book of business into his brand. He's bought 5 companies so far, and has consolidated them into a $1M business, and doesn't need to do much outside marketing because he's pulling in the existing clients when he purchases.

Just something to think about -- I'll post a link to the episode when it comes out next week in case you find it helpful...
Thats smart, since most of the landscaping companies near me are just small operations.

@Johnny boy Im going to try this for my local lead gen business, thanks! I really dont like cold calling too, it seems really tedious and harder to scale than ppc, or this method.

Pink Sheep

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Apr 29, 2019
This is great lol :)
Will definetly keep in mind for the future!

CareCPA

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
356%
May 2, 2017
Pennsylvania
Have you considered buying small landscaping businesses in your area and taking over their book of business? If you can get seller financing, you can potentially get new business with essentially no money out of pocket.

I literally just finished interviewing a guy for my podcast that is doing just this -- he buys small landscaping companies for their equipment value, gets seller financing to keep his out of pocket costs low, and then consolidates their book of business into his brand. He's bought 5 companies so far, and has consolidated them into a $1M business, and doesn't need to do much outside marketing because he's pulling in the existing clients when he purchases.

Just something to think about -- I'll post a link to the episode when it comes out next week in case you find it helpful...
This is what we're trying to do for our accounting firm. Acquire small players and consolidate them into our client list. Seems to beat marketing spend, at least in my limited experience.

In our industry, we can get them for 1-1.25x annual revenue. The hardest part is finding books of business where the clients are open to not meeting in person (obviously not an issue with landscaping).
I've got some other consolidation ideas about 60% formed in my mind, just need some time to work through the logistics...

21elnegocio

Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Feb 28, 2012
Downtown Phoenix, AZ

This is a great strategy that I have been looking into. I learned it from Dan Peña. Is there a sweet spot price range for landscape acquisitions ?

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
This is a great strategy that I have been looking into. I learned it from Dan Peña. Is there a sweet spot price range for landscape acquisitions ?
Sounds more like the Bob Iger/Disney method:
Pixar
Marvel
Lucasfilm
20th Century Fox

21elnegocio

Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Feb 28, 2012
Downtown Phoenix, AZ

21elnegocio

Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Feb 28, 2012
Downtown Phoenix, AZ
The investor/entrepreneur I spoke with suggested buying for equipment value or slightly above -- focus on those owners who are struggling and need to sell (it's a low-margin business, so there are a lot of these owners).

Make sense, will be implementing soon. Just focusing on getting our marketing company up then we will be onto this, we want to acquire business that tie into real estate investing, wholesaling, retail side due to data we have. Still trying to figure out how we can maximize our data but it is homeowners, real estate agents, and investors/flippers data we have.

Duane

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Jul 23, 2015
Lakeland FL

This is great stuff to add gas to the fire.

It's a great way to expand into new areas without having to do as much leg work upfront as well.

Find struggling businesses in hot areas, buy them out for pennies on the dollar and rebrand/remodel it under your company.

Swift

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
May 10, 2019
USA
I've tried door-to-door sales, door hangers, sending physical mail, email marketing, PPC ads, Facebook ads, cold calling, craigslist, etc...

All of it "kinda" works. It's either too expensive, too inefficient, too tedious, too something.

I have a lawn care company and I've been doing some real estate wholesaling (to stay busy in the winter). I've been using all sorts of advertising and it never worked as well as I wanted.

I recently came across a website that sends people a recorded voicemail that you make, except the person thinks it is an actual person who left a voicemail, not a robocall they have to listen to. It doesn't ring their phone, just leaves a voicemail and says "missed call" from whichever number you choose. It's called SlyBroadcast.

So I tried it. I paid for 100 voicemails for $10. I uploaded a couple lists. Some for real estate (people who had ugly homes). And some for people I wanted to sign up for lawn care (numbers in my zip code for women over 40 who have nice homes).

I recorded one message saying "I drove by your home and wanted to see if you'd be interested in selling it to me" and another saying "I signed up your neighbor for lawn care and offered them 20% off if someone on their street signed up too so they gave me your number, call me back and lets sign you up so I can take 20% off for both of you".

I got back tons of calls, made appointments and signed people up, and got leads for real estate deals.

It cost me $10.

Depending on where you get your numbers, you might have to pay for that part. But for me it was cheap.

That's a mind-numbing ROI...

It's scalable, efficient, and best of all, it is ACTIVE marketing. It's not sitting around waiting for responses, you can tell in a couple hours if it works or not.

Think about it. What do you do if you see a facebook ad? "meh". A google ad? "meh". A robocall? You hate them. Telemarketers? Burn em alive. Physical mailers? Straight to the garbage. Someone leaving a voicemail that sounds personal? You're actually going to listen to that. They listen on their own time and nearly every single person will give a voicemail their undivided attention if it sounds like a human with a real message.

And it costs $0.10 down to $0.06 each if you buy in bulk. It doesn't charge for undelivered messages either.

I can think of a ton of ways to use this to kick a$$ in sales.

Car sales? Get a list of people recently discharged from bankruptcy and send them a voicemail saying you can help them get a car loan. Or send voicemails to all previous customers.

Digital marketing agency? Search for local services and upload every phone number that doesn't have a website link on their google business result, same with craigslist services. Send them a voicemail that you can build them a website.

I remember cold calling people when I worked as a car salesman, I would rather just take that list, upload the numbers to a system, spend a few bucks and get way more results without bothering people and annoying them.

I found this because I'm lazy. I hate knocking on doors. I hate bothering people with a phone call. I hate having to compete with facebook ads that don't convert. I hate sending expensive mailers that are going to get tossed in the trash. Every time I do something that will never scale, I get angry. When I find something that will scale, I get excited.

I'm not a salesperson for SlyBroadcast, I've posted on here for my lawn care company before.

Check it out. To be safe you might want to run numbers through the do-not-call list.

I'm very happy I found this. I'm going to use it as my primary marketing tool if it continues to perform this well.
Gonna try this out targeting accounting firms with a lead gen offer

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ

This article deserves its own thread. So few people appreciate this way of doing business. Build an audience, educate audience, nurture an audience, then sell to audience. Never thought to write the book though...

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
I'm capturing people's telephone numbers, through a lead form.

Then I contact them asking them if they still want to book a decorator using the slybroadcaster.

But out of 30 calls, only 1 person called back, they stayed on the line for 9 seconds and hung up.

Perhaps you guys can help me find out what's causing the low conversions.

1) Here's my ad (which is getting people to provide me with their info, so that part is converting fine).

2020-02-06_0746.png

2) Here's my audio file that is used to call people up with.

Note that 99% of my demographic consists of women.

The audio file (voice message) is of a dude.

3) The telephone number I'm asking them too call me back on is:

844-253-9085

(its a pay per call offer).

Is that sort of number spammy? Does it stink of telemarketing? I'm from the UK.

Should I use something like 251-515-325 that sort of number?

I'm targeting women nationwide in America.

4) Lastly, I'm having the slybroadcaster do its thing as soon as they leave their number.

This could be in the morning, middle of the day or middle of the night (if that's when they submit their info).

..... Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Swift

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
May 10, 2019
USA
I'm capturing people's telephone numbers, through a lead form.

Then I contact them asking them if they still want to book a decorator using the slybroadcaster.

But out of 30 calls, only 1 person called back, they stayed on the line for 9 seconds and hung up.

Perhaps you guys can help me find out what's causing the low conversions.

1) Here's my ad (which is getting people to provide me with their info, so that part is converting fine).

2020-02-06_0746.png

2) Here's my audio file that is used to call people up with.

Note that 99% of my demographic consists of women.

The audio file (voice message) is of a dude.

3) The telephone number I'm asking them too call me back on is:

844-253-9085

(its a pay per call offer).

Is that sort of number spammy? Does it stink of telemarketing? I'm from the UK.

Should I use something like 251-515-325 that sort of number?

I'm targeting women nationwide in America.

4) Lastly, I'm having the slybroadcaster do its thing as soon as they leave their number.

This could be in the morning, middle of the day or middle of the night (if that's when they submit their info).

..... Thanks in advance
For voicemail they don't need to opt in it can be a cold audience but for SMS the laws require an opt in like you've made. What I did to land 1 2k usd client from voicemail was using 2000 messages to say something generic like "Hey I saw your place on google maps if you're interested in getting IDEAL RESULT then give me a call or text back and we'll talk my phone is 555-555-5555" 100 dollars gets you around 2000 voicemails through slybroadcast or even more if you buy bulk packages.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
They expressed interest, they gave you their phone number, and then you contact them and make them call you?

Why not just pick up the phone and call them?

I'm promoting pay per call offers.

My goal is to get them to call a telephone number and stay on the line for at least 1 min. 30 second to get paid by the pay per call network.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOAjd99nxw0

For voicemail they don't need to opt in it can be a cold audience but for SMS the laws require an opt in like you've made. What I did to land 1 2k usd client from voicemail was using 2000 messages to say something generic like "Hey I saw your place on google maps if you're interested in getting IDEAL RESULT then give me a call or text back and we'll talk my phone is 555-555-5555" 100 dollars gets you around 2000 voicemails through slybroadcast or even more if you buy bulk packages.

That's nice for you bro. But, I'm not just gonna randomly call up people and say "hey, do you need home improvement services? - give me a call back. Byeeeee."

That strategy would probably only work when the people you're calling are already pre-qualified somehow - like contacting business owners, or people that have homes for sales...

Swift

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
May 10, 2019
USA
I'm promoting pay per call offers.

My goal is to get them to call a telephone number and stay on the line for at least 1 min. 30 second to get paid by the pay per call network.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOAjd99nxw0

That's nice for you bro. But, I'm not just gonna randomly call up people and say "hey, do you need home improvement services? - give me a call back. Byeeeee."

That strategy would probably only work when the people you're calling are already pre-qualified somehow - like contacting business owners, or people that have homes for sales...
What you do is scrape a list of numbers off people who might need your service through d7leadfinder so they're sorta qualified. I do lead gen for accounting firms so I just went into d7leadfinder entered accountants and got a bunch of numbers for each city. Maybe you could target real estate offices and say you'd do home improvement for their properties or something. It'd be a more lucrative deal to do home improvement on say an apartment complex or neighborhood owned by a real estate firm than just a couple residential homes.

Lyinx

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Oct 28, 2019
Lancaster County, PA
I'm promoting rehab centers, how would I use this?

I can't call people up and say "Hey, this is Jimmy - I'm just calling to see if your loved one still had a meth problem. If so, I might be able to help you with that."

Great share OP.

And I'm looking for a serious answer to my question - perhaps its one of those niches not suited for this marketing method?
I've never done this type of advertising but seriously interested... answering your question as I try to apply to my biz (totally different setup, but same kind of questions)

From your conversation, it looks like you try to reach out to concerned family member most of the time, is that correct?

You could "spray-n-pray"hoping that you'll hit someone, call everyone in one neighborhood, or everyone with a certain area code (for example, a drug-ridden area) send a voicemail to everyone in a certain zip code saying something like this "Hi, My name is Jimmy, we're just down the street from you and we're starting a drug rehab center and we specialize in top end discreet care for people who need help. I'm a recovering drug enthusiast myself, I used to use painkillers, meth, and played with fentanyl, so I'm very familiar with what is needed. If you ever meet someone that needs help, please send them our way, we want to help as many people as we can. Also, we are a non-profit organization and can use all the help we can get, feel free to stop in anytime to see us! /end v.mail

or you could particularly target with facebook/insta/google/etc.. ads and get them "pre-qualified" for a phone call... look to target women with children going to high school maybe? or what is the target audience? Drive them to a landing page where they put in a place to call them (but then you'd probably want to actually call them yourself) I just googled "how to know if someone is using drugs" and this is what I got: How to Tell If Someone Is Using Drugs: Be Aware of The Signs they are a rehab location, and you could put up a webpage with info like this for people to find help.

Do you target only meth addicts? How about Cocaine? LSD? Fentanyl? Or do you target any drug user regardless of drug used? If there is a certain addiction that you specialize in, maybe there is one certain thing that they need? Let's say they are addicted to marijuana, where would you find these users? Would they be at the park? or would they be at McDonalds stuffing their face? where would they head to from there? Where would they be when they crash? at home? or would they be in a park down the road? Maybe you can put up signs closeby that would resonate with your target audience?

Is there a certain thing that a concerned family member would buy for the person that they are concerned for? would they buy them clean supplies? or would they buy something to try to wean them from the habit?
If so, where do they buy it? Can you supply this for them? and then put information in with that package, saying "call me at ph# to discuss if you need help? (on the note put something like this if you can "I'm a recovered drug enthusiast that still struggles, I understand your needs/struggles")

If you can find a way to supply the above-mentioned items to the drug users, then you'll find a way to advertise...

Setting up voicemail leads, (that is after all, why we're here)... D7 Lead Finder - Find Free Business Leads in any Industry and pop in for a chat, they might help you with ideas (I just ran a search for drug addicts in Philadelphia, came up with a ton of results for rehab centers, zero leads for drug addicts, but I bet you could change the search terms to something favorable)

If your interested in running google ads, then reach out to @Andy Black, he's known for that type of thing :)

Itsmeantonios

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
May 28, 2020
Canada
For those that are wanting to use this. If you choose another company, just make sure it does not ring the phone (that is illegal if it is a cell phone). Give your own phone number.... if you get a message with no ring, you are good to go. It is legal for the message to be dropped in the mail box of a cell phone with no ring at all but NOT legal for it to ring the cell phone even 1/2 a ring. The company he mentioned above, I believe, does it the legal way.
If you're saying it's not legal for the phone to ring, then the company mentioned by the OP is not legal.

I went to their website and had a test message sent to me. My phone rang for about 2 or 3 seconds with "Private Number" showing up on my call display, the call ended, then I had a voicemail message after about a minute or 2.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
If you're saying it's not legal for the phone to ring, then the company mentioned by the OP is not legal.

I went to their website and had a test message sent to me. My phone rang for about 2 or 3 seconds with "Private Number" showing up on my call display, the call ended, then I had a voicemail message after about a minute or 2.

I am not sure about the laws in Canada. Lots of things aren't legal, especially when it comes to phone 'sales', but that doesn't stop people from doing them. I was just putting that out there so people in the US couldn't say, "I didn't know".

GetShitDone

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Dec 20, 2012
Canada

Sounds like what private equity companies do except at a smaller scale with home services. Very impressive and I can see huge profit there if he simply rinses and repeats what he's doing.

HOw do you guys get a list of phone numbers? Where do you look for phone numbers list?

I'm planning on combining GetProspect (lead finder) with LinkedIn. Basically, after my automation software messages 100 linkedin prospects per day, it will find their phone numbers and then link it to the voicemail software.

This way, I hit the person on LinkedIn + Email + Voicemail. All automatically. 100 a day.

Black_Mamba_427

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jan 6, 2022
I wish I knew about this tool when I worked in Recruitment haha. We had to make 600+ Dials a day and it was pure hell and mind-numbingly boring! It would have been a game changer, for sure.

I can't use it in my current business, but I've been doing something very similar with CRAZY good results as of the start of this month (so the last 3 weeks). Within the first 2 weeks of this Month, I beat my highest earning month.

I noticed that a lot of people read text every day. It's boring. It has no soul or urgency. So instead of messaging people individually one by one trying to get business in, I would send out a mass message as a voice clip that was worded so they think it was personalised to them.

I realised having different conversations with 1000s of different people and trying to remember all their details was time and energy consuming. But I have the ability to control the conversations. So I get everyone to talk about the same thing, at the same time, and then send out pre recorded generic (but what they think is personalised) voicemail responses.

It seems remarkably easier to convince people to pay when they hear your voice. Especially I think on a global scale. E.g. American clients would obviously read my text messages in an American accent, but hearing my English accent reminds them.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.