The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

juanalou

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Jul 13, 2016
Barcelona, Spain
I'm going to give a couple notes here. I currently work for a CPG startup that has distribution in grocery chains. It's not the same category as your product, and I could be wrong, but this isn't coming from nowhere either ;)
  • Avoid coupons - your conversion will be low, and the people that tend to buy are people that only buy when your product is on deal. You are looking to create actual fans - people who will repeat-purchase at full price. Discounts can have this same effect of cheapening your brand.
  • Free samples - usually avoid. It has always been a failure for us, but there are some pretty famous success stories that used them heavily. You don't have distribution, so it will definitely do you no good to give someone a free sample if there's then nowhere they can go buy it.
  • I see small batch is a problem, which isn't surprising. Please tell me your packer is in the US and not Spain.
Getting distribution will be a little tough if you don't have a gimmick. Buyers for major chains don't usually take risks, and if they do pick up a niche product, they're often looking to rip it off with private label, which is an ugly experience.

You might want to start by profiling your customer then working backwards. Where do they shop? How do they make buying choices? What influences those choices?

Small shops are an option, as actually is AAFES like someone suggested, but expect that to be a long process. Have you thought about the concessioners that have the contracts for university book stores, national parks, and airports?

Since you're selling a healthy alternative to a bag of gas station chips, you might want to look in places like the above where people have limited choices and therefore aren't as price sensitive.

BTW - Your packaging is beautiful. Love it.

Nice, thanks for the feedback. Maybe you could help us out finding distributors :)

Manufacturing and packaging will be done in the USA. No worries there.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

juanalou

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Jul 13, 2016
Barcelona, Spain
+1 here.

A lack of nutritional panel and a list of ingredients is a value attribute (I spoke about this at 2016 Summit) which will lose customers and reduce the size of the market.
We decided not to post Nutritionals yet because we can improve them to it depending on how much funds we get with the campaign. Could always over-deliver tho. What do you think?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
We decided not to post Nutritionals yet because we can improve them to it depending on how much funds we get with the campaign. Could always over-deliver tho. What do you think?

When it comes to food and indigestibles, I would NOT be posting one ingredient list, and then delivering another.

What you ultimately advertise is what you should deliver, I might buy your product because it LACKS or HAS a certain ingredient. Other people will as well.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014
When it comes to food and indigestibles, I would NOT be posting one ingredient list, and then delivering another.

What you ultimately advertise is what you should deliver, I might buy your product because it LACKS or HAS a certain ingredient. Other people will as well.

This. You're selling a product to a health conscious market. You would lose all credibility, probably immortalized online till the end of time.

Maybe you could help us out finding distributors

Go direct to as many outlets as possible first. Delay adding the insanity of a distributor until you have the capital and time/manpower to manage them.

Red

Nigerian Lottery Prince
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Feb 23, 2010
Phoenix

The thing is, you're a part of a seedy industry -this means you have a great opportunity to shine here. The food industry has played with terms like "natural" and "healthy" to mean anything but the definition they have bought & paid for. I don't trust food manufacturers. I'm not alone. Your target audience has been fooled many times before. If you're not up front about ingredients, I automatically assume you're hiding something. Or, at the very least, using sub-par contents or being shady about things. That may just be me... but... I know that's the way it is for many of my peer circle as well.

To say that your product's contents will "depend on how much funds you get" is another red flag. This tells me you don't care about quality like I do because you've made it an option rather than a non-negotiable priority. You care about capitalizing on a hot niche right now. The problem with your plan is that your target audience is consumer-savvy & sees through bullshit -whether it's intentional or not. I'm not trying to bust your balls here, even though I'm sure it feels like it at this point, but I am trying to give you a reality check for your target health-conscious market.

The approach you're taking is a mis-assessment of your target customer & that's why I think you're going to have trouble with this plan/product.

Last edited:

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014
your target audience is consumer-savvy & sees through bullshit -whether it's intentional or not.

I gotta be honest, I LOL'ed at this. There's no industry built more thoroughly on complete and utter bullshit than healthy/organic/natural CPG. Go into a Whole Foods, look at how busy it is, then tell yourself people can see through bullshit. :clench:

That said, @Red is right that you need to seriously think about your product and what goes into it. You're not selling a pencil or a light bulb, you're selling people something they put in their body. As in any other business, be worthy of your customers' trust, especially the kind of trust that leads them to feeding their kids with your product.

3things

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Jun 17, 2013
Canadia
I like the overall idea, the site is clean as is the product packaging mockup. You're on the right track but it feels like there's a lot of work currently a bit 'un-done'.

Here's what I see missing from the website at first glance:
- any detail on the nutrients contained, and their benefits
- an ingredients list, and the benefits of those ingredients
- any/overall benefits of your product - save time, save money, lose weight, etc etc. (there's a pretty sparse 'features' section, but no benefits that will actually sell me something)
- the story behind the brand, the why, the people behind the brand, where you source your ingredients, the back story of the farmers growing the ingredients (i'm going a bit extreme but you get the idea - people buy into stories)
- all of the above just add up to a lack of credibility/trust

Maybe take a look at the Harry's case study for some tactics on growing an audience (their product was shaving but the underlying tactics can be applied): How to Gather 100,000 Emails in One Week (Includes Successful Templates, Code, Everything You Need)

juanalou

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Jul 13, 2016
Barcelona, Spain

To say that your product's contents will "depend on how much funds you get" is another red flag. This tells me you don't care about quality like I do because you've made it an option rather than a non-negotiable priority. You care about capitalizing on a hot niche right now. The problem with your plan is that your target audience is consumer-savvy & sees through bullshit -whether it's intentional or not. I'm not trying to bust your balls here, even though I'm sure it feels like it at this point, but I am trying to give you a reality check for your target health-conscious market.

The approach you're taking is a mis-assessment of your target customer & that's why I think you're going to have trouble with this plan/product.

What I meant was: we decided not to post nutritionals because at the end if we can put more money into R&D (we have spent all seed money in lab time, bio-tech consultants and equipment) we could (for example) up the amount of carbs from 20 to 25 and protein from 18 to 24g to say something. Do you suggest we post the current nutritionals and then deliver something with more nutrients? We will never deliver less.

We will add ingredients for sure when I update the site, should be done around midnight CET.

Also, natural means nothing, but we have adquired all materials from a gluten free , organic and non GMO certified vendor in the USA. Not that it is our target market but as MJ said earlier, wouldn't want to lose a niche because we use non natural stuff.

rollerskates

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Jan 10, 2017
Texas
I think it's a great concept, but I have a couple of concerns/issues like others:

1. Nutrition panel, this is a biggie. I would not buy or invest without it. I would need to know in addition to being gluten free, is it dairy free? Sodium content (this is a big issue with convenience foods)? Nut free? Soy free? Does the facility process nuts, wheat, and/or soy? What is the protein source? I am one of those people who can't eat a big list of things so I may not be your ideal customer. But I COULD BE, if I knew the answers to these questions.

2. You said you are based in Spain but you are targeting the US. Are you familiar with the US food industry or is anyone on your team? It isn't clear where they are being manufactured, and not that it's a big deal, but it would be good to be familiar with the American food industry, at least a little, especially in order to target trade shows.

3. I know someone who travels for business a lot but drives. Are these a good car meal or are they crumbly and/or greasy?

4. What are they like texturewise? Like rice cakes (HORK)? Pop chips (HORK)? Or really like potato chips (YUM)?

I think your concept is great, and the website looks nice and clean. But I've never been excited enough about food to give my email address for it. I would be more likely to follow a social media campaign for a product I am interested in.

Ronak

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
317%
Sep 13, 2013
Nice design...I echo the comments on wanting to know nutrition info and ingredients.

Is this fried? If so, that may be an issue if you're aiming for the health conscious.
What's the pricepoint at retail?

For sampling, you can consider having smaller sizes made, maybe partner with a gym chain to give them away.

I don't see how you can make this project happen without physically coming over here to launch it, seems like this is a "get their hands on it" type product- You want to get real time feedback from your prospects. If I were you, I'd get on a plane, and start hustling, knock on doors, etc.

There are also some box of the month companies that might want to feature these.

juanalou

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Jul 13, 2016
Barcelona, Spain
I think it's a great concept, but I have a couple of concerns/issues like others:

1. Nutrition panel, this is a biggie. I would not buy or invest without it. I would need to know in addition to being gluten free, is it dairy free? Sodium content (this is a big issue with convenience foods)? Nut free? Soy free? Does the facility process nuts, wheat, and/or soy? What is the protein source? I am one of those people who can't eat a big list of things so I may not be your ideal customer. But I COULD BE, if I knew the answers to these questions.

2. You said you are based in Spain but you are targeting the US. Are you familiar with the US food industry or is anyone on your team? It isn't clear where they are being manufactured, and not that it's a big deal, but it would be good to be familiar with the American food industry, at least a little, especially in order to target trade shows.

3. I know someone who travels for business a lot but drives. Are these a good car meal or are they crumbly and/or greasy?

4. What are they like texturewise? Like rice cakes (HORK)? Pop chips (HORK)? Or really like potato chips (YUM)?

I think your concept is great, and the website looks nice and clean. But I've never been excited enough about food to give my email address for it. I would be more likely to follow a social media campaign for a product I am interested in.

1. We decided not to post nutritionals because at the end if we can put more money into R&D (we have spent all seed money in lab time, bio-tech consultants and equipment) we could (for example) up the amount of carbs from 20 to 25 and protein from 18 to 24g to say something. Do you suggest we post the current nutritionals and then deliver something with more nutrients? We will never deliver less. Chips are baked.

2. Manufacturing on big scale will be done in the USA. Yes, we have a US based advisor (who provided seed money) and team member.

3. They are not crumbly nor greasy. Chips are baked.

4. Texture, Sun Chips come to mind.

GoodluckChuck

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Feb 2, 2017
my house
Kind of out of the box but the first thing that came to mind was bars in Utah.... I know, random..

In many beverage selling establishments in Utah it's illegal to sell a beer without food. Perhaps something like this would be a way to get some bites taken out of your product. Places like ski resorts would have a hayday with these. All those ski bums that want to buy beer but don't want to order a meal could grab a meal to go.

Just an idea :)

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016
If this product can really deliver on its promise, it should be in every grocery store, c-store, and airport snack shop in the civilized world.

Learn to sell it.

Seriously, one of the best ideas I've ever seen.

juanalou

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Jul 13, 2016
Barcelona, Spain
If this product can really deliver on its promise, it should be in every grocery store, c-store, and airport snack shop in the civilized world.

Learn to sell it.

Seriously, one of the best ideas I've ever seen.
Great to hear that.

I will let you guys know when I update the site. Looking way better now!

Nam88

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 31, 2012
Here's what I would do, since your product is a niche product.

I would go with facebook ads.

You can choose lead objective or direct sale sale (called conversion)

You make a very nice video where you point out the benefit.

The structure of the video should be something like this.

First 5 seconds of the video are critical. Start by showing off the product, it's benefits/solutions or just how great it is. For about 20 seconds.
C:\Users\NamHing\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.png
Then show some information and instructions with text in the video, or other benefits/solutions
Most of my videos are 40 seconds to 1 1/2 Minutes in length.
Edit to make quick transitions for short attention spans.
Get some some decent stock background music. Only 8% listen to the audio!
Render final ad video in 1:1 square to use maximum space in Facebook.

(anyway you can see American info commercial they do great video … miracle blade etc)

You lead them to a regular e commerce funnel. Where they add to cart and all the way to the checkout page where you say that you’re out of stock or developing your product and that if they want you send them a sample package for free. They will need to put their info so you will have your email and potential customer data.

Targeting: you brainstorm the categories that your product would be appealing too.

I saw from ealier post that categories that could be in your potential target audience are

People who love camping, body builder, busy office worker that want to eat healthy.

Be aware that you need to think about targeting first before doing the video. If you think that your product would sell in the body builder niche you should include an image of a body builder in the video or something that resonate with audience. You can put more than one in the video.

Of course one video for every niche would be the best but it's costly and time consuming. You can re-use the video in your kickstarter campaign btw.

When you target on fb don’t go broad (like bodybuilder) . Use people who like magazine , celebrity ( in the niche) , brands of supplements or merchandise related ( already buying audience)

When you have enough click or email ( at least 300) in fb pixel (you should set one) you can create a lookalike audience. Facebook will analyze this 300 people find similarities and create and audience of 2 mil with same characteristic and trust me they know us better than ourself.

With enough test you will have already idea of which people you should target at fairs etc, age range , gender. Maybe your potential customer are bodybuilder? Maybe, it’s just an assumption.Just data can tell and data don’t lie. J

I can’t allocate budget for this type of test unfortunately depends on many factor including your video targeting offer.

Sorry If I made this long post but your product is really interesting and the input here are really good. If you don’t know where to start with facebook adveriting you can find many related group on fb.

rpeck90

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
Nov 26, 2016
United Kingdom
A piece of feedback from someone who'd buy but has reservations...

When you mention "whole meal in a bag", I pictured this:

chicken-can-3.jpg

You may wish to position it differently - nutritional snack or something ("instead of buying crisps/chips, buy these they're healthier")

trh90

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Mar 14, 2017
USA
Since I'm as green as they get on the business side of this I'll comment from the consumer side with dietary issues.

Gluten Free - awesome
I'm going to want to know the nutritional information (I know you have addressed this). Being gluten free means there is a lot of missing nutirients in my diet, how many of those is this going to fulfill? Macro and Micro. That will tell me if it really will be a meal replacement for me. You will never please everyone here because that varies so much per person but it helps them decide. Most packages don't go too deep in micro but for gluten free people this is important.

Can I throw a bunch of bags of these in the boat for lunch while fishing eliminating the need to pack lunches?

Are they going to be a good midmorning snack for me since I have to eat around 9:30 am due to such a long period between breakfast and lunch when I'm at work?

How readily available are they going to be? Grocery stores or only order online?

What is the shelf life? Can I throw a bunch in the closet in my office for months and have for when I forget lunch or the snowstorm hits and I'm stuck here in the middle on nowhere with nothing but candybars? What are the preservatives? Another gluten free person's issue.

Many gluten free people are dairy and soy free as well. Are they dairy free? Is there going to be future soy free ones available?

Of course price will be an issue. Gluten free always means high prices even though it shouldn't.

Taste. It has to taste good. So many things labeled gluten free is full of sugar and tastes like cardboard. A lot of "healthy snacks" are not good either. If it comes in a package it is probably mediocre at best. You have to beat that. That will set you apart in the gluten free world. If my teenage boy won't eat it chances are my chickens won't either. Yes I've had stuff that bad. Get a good test market.

Samples or individual packages available will help people decide to try it. I won't buy a big bag of something that chances are is going to end up being chicken food. I like the small packages to try it out first.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014
Of course price will be an issue. Gluten free always means high prices even though it shouldn't.
How readily available are they going to be? Grocery stores or only order online?

@juanalou Read this comment and you'll understand why grocery is a giant ghetto to be avoided until you're already turning. Folks want a healthy product that meets all kinds of obscure dietary requirements, and they want it to be price competitive with a Frito product.

Welcome to every single day of my life :smile:

Start with a non mainline grocery channel.

@trh90 I'm not trying to be rude, but this was too poignant of an example to not point out to someone interested in going into food.

trh90

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Mar 14, 2017
USA
@juanalou Read this comment and you'll understand why grocery is a giant ghetto to be avoided until you're already turning. Folks want a healthy product that meets all kinds of obscure dietary requirements, and they want it to be price competitive with a Frito product.

Welcome to every single day of my life :smile:

Start with a non mainline grocery channel.

@trh90 I'm not trying to be rude, but this was too poignant of an example to not point out to someone interested in going into food.
I don't consider it rude at all. I was trying to get the point across without being to harsh either. Once you put gluten free or healthy on a package it starts getting ugly. I don't mind paying a bit more but when things become double or triple the price of junk food I want it all and so do most people I know. I wanted it to also be looked at from the consumer with dietary issues point of view. Since that's me I figured I could contribute that much.

Nik Krohn

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Jun 27, 2014
Utah
I just ran a kickstarter raising $330,000 in a 8 day campaign and 90% of the funding came from our email lists. We did a lot of FB ads as well (KS Interest targeting and Lookalike targeting) and they just don't perform like driving traffic to your site post campaign.

My advice: DITCH KICKSTARTER and start selling.

KS is not what it used to be. Out of the $330k raised, only $9200 came from being on the popular page (We were #1 for 3 days and STILL did under 10k).

juanalou

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Jul 13, 2016
Barcelona, Spain
I just ran a kickstarter raising $330,000 in a 8 day campaign and 90% of the funding came from our email lists. We did a lot of FB ads as well (KS Interest targeting and Lookalike targeting) and they just don't perform like driving traffic to your site post campaign.

My advice: DITCH KICKSTARTER and start selling.

KS is not what it used to be. Out of the $330k raised, only $9200 came from being on the popular page (We were #1 for 3 days and STILL did under 10k).
Any tips for building email list?

Nik Krohn

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Jun 27, 2014
Utah
Any tips for building email list?

Lol that is the fun part. Get customers. It is hard to build the momentum for first time ecommerce companies.

Maybe look into finding similar companies that are not competitors and doing some sort of JV.

I use a lot of deal sites (mommy deal sites like Jane, brickyard buffalo, etc) and I usually get their email address with purchase. So I offer a discount on the product and I get 500 orders and 500 emails. This could be a source of emails to build a list

Argue

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Oct 1, 2016
NYC
Very nice product and website.

My first impression is that the emphasis of the product just states features, not benefits.

Customers care about WIIFM (what's in it for me?). Emphasize more on benefits. The only benefit I see is, "stay full for hours". Kinda vague.

Advertise/promote more awareness through social media. Platforms to consider:
  • Facebook (I know you have awareness here)
  • YouTube
  • Twitter
  • LinkedIn
  • Instagram (I know you have awareness here)
  • Pinterest
  • Google+
  • Snapchat
  • Tumblr
  • Reddit
  • Flickr
  • Meetup.com
Find your target market (e.g. a FB food group) and get them to spread the word. Be super efficient by using social media management tools like hootsuite etc.

You could consider placing ads on Craigslist for your product too.

juanalou

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Jul 13, 2016
Barcelona, Spain
Hey guys just updated the site (took longer than expected). Let me know what you think.

We are doing free boxes for the people who sign up and later complete a pre-order. Fb ads are emphasised on this.

www.satisbite.com

RoadTrip

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 27, 2012
I'm intrigued by the idea of meals in a bag of chips. It's especially convenient since I can decide to only eat a few or eat more depending on how hungry I am.

I checked out the ingredients list and what I'm missing as a Paleo enthusiast is greens. For me to consider something a complete meal it would also need to include a decent amount of vegetables. Are you able to incorporate vegetables somehow? You can have a look at Wild Zora bars. They've incorporated meat and vegetables in a convenient snack bar. It may give you some inspiration.

juanalou

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Jul 13, 2016
Barcelona, Spain
Here's what I would do, since your product is a niche product.
When you have enough click or email ( at least 300) in fb pixel (you should set one) you can create a lookalike audience. Facebook will analyze this 300 people find similarities and create and audience of 2 mil with same characteristic and trust me they know us better than ourself.

Hi, thanks for your advice, I have followed all of it.

Can you help me with this? I have set up FB pixel and would like to create a lookalike audience with people who converted, but I when I try to create audience I get this:

Screen-Shot-2017-03-19-at-14.43.59.png

Only people who visited website, not people that subscribed.

Here my pixel events:

Screen-Shot-2017-03-19-at-14.57.39.png

AddEmail has
35 count (Report a problem should be moved, if you're listening Facebook)

Could it be that it doesnt have enough data to create an audience yet? By the way, does 'Count' Mean exactly how many people have entered email? because it's way less than 35 after I started running ads.

Edit: When i try to creat a look-a-like audience I cannot use the pixel as source, only page. Why?

Thanks

Last edited:

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Hi, thanks for your advice, I have followed all of it.

Can you help me with this? I have set up FB pixel and would like to create a lookalike audience with people who converted, but I when I try to create audience I get this:

Screen-Shot-2017-03-19-at-14.43.59.png

Only people who visited website, not people that subscribed.

Here my pixel events:

Screen-Shot-2017-03-19-at-14.57.39.png

AddEmail has
35 count (Report a problem should be moved, if you're listening Facebook)

Could it be that it doesnt have enough data to create an audience yet? By the way, does 'Count' Mean exactly how many people have entered email? because it's way less than 35 after I started running ads.

Thanks
You cant create a lookalike from pixel events. That was possible in the past with the old conversion pixel but not with the current version of the facebook pixel.

The people that enter their email have to land on a "thanks for entering your email" page, like satisbite.com/thanks-for-email. This is the page where you fire the "addemail" event, too.

Then create the custom audience for all people that "visited specific pages" with url containing "thanks-for-email". Once that custom audience is big enough (i think 100 or 1000 people, not sure) you can use it as seed for a lookalike.

You could also fire an additional pageview "thanks-for-email" if you have an ajax setup for the signup and dont want the thank you page, but that would be too technical to elaborate here.

Btw: Great idea but looks like pretty hard execution. Good luck!

Last edited:

Bamcis

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 2, 2015
Boise, Idaho
Uhhh, I eat a complete bag of chips for breakfast everyday...

Joking aside, Americans love their chips and they love innovations. This looks like it would sell pretty well over here, contingent on most of what everyone has already said (taste, labeling, nutrition, etc...). With that being said, distribution has been brought up a few times and I've got some ideas for that.

I live in Boise, Idaho and when I was attending Boise State University our business professors told us that Boise is used as a sort of "test market" for major companies to try new ideas of flavors or whatever. These companies use Boise and other "regional metropolitan areas" because there is a comparable diversity to big cities with less risk. If your company was able to get into these smaller "test markets" AND generate sales, I'd say your chances of getting in with a bigger distributor would get a hell of a lot better.

Keeping it in Boise, Albertson's grocery stores started here and over time has acquired a long list of grocery chains throughout the USA such as Safeway. They are working on becoming a publicly traded company and I think they are our nation's 2nd biggest grocery store family, behind Kroger's. The reason I bring up Albertson's is because while they are a big company and control most inventory, they do allow their individual store managers to choose specific items to carry at their individual store. This managerial discretion gives you a chance to sell to a store manager instead of an entire company.

I've considered trying my hand at selling to retail and that is how I would do it. The more sales you have under your belt, the better chances you'll have of getting picked up with a big distributor. I'd say even if those sales are from something small like a vending machine...

BAMCIS

Nam88

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 31, 2012
Yes custom audience from email need at least 100. The perfect seed is between 1000 to 5000 but I'm having success with above 300.

Try this setting: you have to put the url where the page view event fire
sc.png

Let me know how it goes.

Out of curiosity? Did you use a video ad?

Congrats, not sure how much you have spent but it seems that you're doing good.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.