The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

8 Steps That Will Radically Change Your Life in 30 Days or Less, Guaranteed.

G

GuestUser112

Anybody here handy with Excel? I'm adjusting the Kaizen spreadsheet to fit the present Date & Time but I can't figure out the function so I've been putting the dates in manually. It's not a huge headache but it seems like it would be a very useful thing to know. How functions in Excel work, that is.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Gsuz

If you want the crown, you gotta take it
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Jul 3, 2012
Anybody here handy with Excel? I'm adjusting the Kaizen spreadsheet to fit the present Date & Time but I can't figure out the function so I've been putting the dates in manually. It's not a huge headache but it seems like it would be a very useful thing to know. How functions in Excel work, that is.

Just edit the first date (A15) in the date column and it will adjust all the other dates accordingly. In case that does not work: Click the cell and move the mouse to the bottom right until a little + sign appears, then click and drag it down.

Jamesdoesmith

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Aug 14, 2014
I am chewing threw the book for a second time and these articles are a great find. I am doing a similar thing with your limo freetime. I have the ability sure to do alot of things to jump into the fast lane, But reading is essential. Part of the process.

EricZ

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Oct 18, 2014
Germany & California
Love it,
for the internet age or "modern" entrepreneurs it's "YOU ARE WHAT YOU MEASURE".
And the only way to replace a habit, is with another habit. So if I am the sum of all my habits - let them be good habits!!!
Habit-1.jpg

Mike Kavanagh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 17, 2013
I only have two questions.

Why haven't I seen this thread before?
and
Why isn't it gold?

Mr.B

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Nov 8, 2014
Australia
I've been tracking my daily habits for a while. Tried Chains CC and a couple of other apps, but they didn't have the flexibility I needed. The one that I like best and have been using since it came out is called Habit List. If you run iOS, grab this app, it has helped me consistently focus on the habits that I'm forming and has helped me stay on course.

@MJ DeMarco, thanks for this post, it reminded me of how many times I 'took action' in the past by buying a domain for an idea I hadn't even properly formed, making the 'perfect' site (despite having nothing of value to offer on it) only to become dissolutioned and abandon everything in search for an information product that would show me exactly what I needed to do to make all the monies!

Strangely enough, when I started focusing on creating processes everything changed.

G

GuestUser112

This might just be my favorite thread so I'm just going to comment here and shoot it back to the top of the list so those who haven't seen it can take a look. The first page of this thread is actually my default browser page - reminds me of my priorities every time I open Google Chrome.

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014
Read this a couple of months ago, read it again today... I still think it's one of the best posts on this forum.

• Are you jumping from one idea to the next with no focused action or plan? - This describes me perfectly.. Everyday I have something new. It's time to choose one and execute it to the best of my abilities.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I just posted the PDF below on the Insider Forum.

Its a variation dressed up to-do list that I use to help in the Fastlane change process described above.

Here's what it looks like.

Feel free to copy the formula or download the one on the inside.

getshitdone.JPG

Last edited:

Bila

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Dec 2, 2014
Ontario Canada
Last edited by a moderator:

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Check out "Tickmate" on Google Play - Free, Very simple, tracks stuff, counts days.

That's looks like a great program however the point of the to-do list is to keep things written by hand, and not digital. I've done both and going digital doesn't seem to have the same effect... it just seems like another app of many floating on my machine, when the written document is always front-and-center, and I have to interact with it physically, as opposed to clicking and then you're done.

One of key things on this is the sidebar, completing that every day BURNS into your head what you're trying to do. It's the reminders that keep you on track. And trust me, after writing the same thing for 7 days (insofar as the weekly goal) by the 7th day if you haven't finished, you're like, MAN I GOTTA FINISH!!

Kreedos Phoenix

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
282%
Nov 30, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
@MJ DeMarco This post was equivalent to a jolt of caffeine and is on point with where I am at and am striving to become. Excellent write up here, specifically dig how you broke down action and how it should be consistently applied toward your process of becoming greater. Awesome, just awesome. Thank you for this!

User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 12, 2015
This is just amazing information and what I needed to hear to focus and stop going from one project.

Thanks for this amazing post. I'm looking forward to read your book and get on the Fast Lane.

Krzysztof

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Jul 20, 2014
Warsaw, Poland
Thank you for posting this thread on fb @MJ DeMarco! I am torn between having built habits in some areas, while not being able to do so in others.

In fitness I've been able to keep eating healthy and working out for 2,5 years now. During this time I had only minor slip ups, especially keeping my eating habits during holidays. However, I've been easily able to get back on track. I guess most important reason here is that I see myself as a person who is fit and will be fit for many decades to come. In my mind that's just WHO I AM, so it's easy to follow the good habits. My friends have asked me many times "are you on a diet?" to which I’ve always replied the same – “no, diet is something temporary, these are my eating habits”. However, what’s worth mentioning is what happened 2,5 years ago that made it possible. Because until then I had never kept working out for more than 2-3 months at a time. I decided to go on a rock-climbing training. It just was a cool thing that I wanted to try. A month prior to the training I said to myself “I have to get at least a bit ready or I won’t get back alive” as this was after 8 months of doing NOTHING. No gym, no swimming, no basketball, no sports at all. To my horror for the first time in my life I wasn’t able to do a single pull-up, not even a chin-up! And it was despite me being rather slim. That was definitely the moment that I made a decision to change and made everything after that very easy.

On the other hand I have been struggling with building such habits in the business area. I’d like to do so many things, that I easily get sidetracked. Because of this in 2014 I’ve lost 4 months of my life and some money implementing a new idea instead of focusing on my existing business. Why was that? I did not have the habit of doing whatever it takes to get new clients. It was easier for me to spend this time developing a website etc. instead of calling prospective clients, finding ways to get in the door and sell, sell, sell. Even though the latter would make me money instead of losing it. However, what I think is my main blocking point here? BELIEFS. My parents really did their best with the knowledge they had to give me good education which led to me getting a good job. Last year I’ve left the corporate world after 7 years, but my belief system still tells me that I am a great CORPORATE RAT, not a successful ENTREPRENEUR.

Now I’m starting to focus on what’s really important. But as making the calls to prospective Clients and so on feels uncomfortable to me, I lose a lot of time on snoozes, fb and other distractions (heck, even taking the time to reply to this post is me getting away from what I need to do!). I understood that if I am going to succeed, I need to target my blocking points:
  • Defining THE WHY - I’m still working on it, turned out it’s not as easy as I thought to really nail it.
  • Changing my beliefs – I AM BORN TO BE A SUCCESSFUL ENTREPRENEUR. This will definitely be the hardest part.
  • Sending a “what I’ve accomplished last week” email to a friend that I know can keep me accountable and not let me get away with “I’ve tried” excuses. Frankly speaking I have not implemented it yet as it scares the hell out of me ;). But I want to introduce it on two fronts – the friend I’ve mentioned and an acquaintance who is a successful businessman. In his case I don’t even expect him to read the emails if he doesn’t care, but he came to my mind once I’ve asked myself the question “sending to whom the weekly summary with not much accomplished would make me feel most ashamed?”
  • Keeping a progress sheet – however here I will make it pen and paper as it’s too easy for me to ignore another file on my desktop.
  • StayFocusd – Chrome add-on that allows me to browse sites I put on blocked list for a total of 10 minutes between 7am and 9 pm. For now this includes fb, NBA and news sites but will be expanded as I find out where else my time is lost. Surprisingly the pure knowledge that it is set magically makes me stop caring about visiting these sites.
  • Xtreme alarm clock – thanks for the idea @Magik! This solves the issue of snoozes with having to solve math problems.

Thanks again for this thread and I hope that my experience can be of value to someone as well!

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013

Its a variation dressed up to-do list that I use to help in the Fastlane change process described above.

View attachment 8916

That's fantastic!
Do I have your permission to make a software version of this and put it online linking back to the forum?

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida

View attachment 8916

You know what I like about this... a person will pick up your book and go "well...ok so this guy is a millionaire, of course writing a book about it is so easy for him, he just uses the magical unicorns and it's done like it's nothing!" Yet we see, right here, that it is always, always a process and it's the same for everyone. I think that perspective needs to be adhered to as you go through life - you see nice cars, celebs, people at gucci store, and you think "probably magic unicorns." when in reality, if they showed you their daily planner, it'd be filled from top to bottom with micro steps of their process.

Sean Marshall

Independent since 2010
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
704%
Aug 17, 2011
San Diego, CA
Good stuff!! Thank you MJ! I really appreciate the inconvenience aspect. I think I'm becoming addicted to this freaking Mexican Coke. I can't stand it in the States but here it's the perfect drink to go with some tacos after a dive. BUT, I'm drinking in my house while slouching in front of my computer. Not cool. I need to stop buying it when at the store and I need to have some more discipline. Totally going to apply these steps!

MattJM

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 16, 2015
Thank you so much MJ, I've been thinking about too many things and chopping and changing what I do every day, this has helped clear the path to a better daily routine, a better process. Thank you!!

EricZ

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Oct 18, 2014
Germany & California
You know what I like about this... a person will pick up your book and go "well...ok so this guy is a millionaire, of course writing a book about it is so easy for him, he just uses the magical unicorns and it's done like it's nothing!" Yet we see, right here, that it is always, always a process and it's the same for everyone. I think that perspective needs to be adhered to as you go through life - you see nice cars, celebs, people at gucci store, and you think "probably magic unicorns." when in reality, if they showed you their daily planner, it'd be filled from top to bottom with micro steps of their process.

I agree!
How many times have you heard this from people?
I'm not even rich and mega-successful yet, and I'm already hearing excuses from people who simply just don't want to try.
It all boils down to one thing - they're friggen LOOOOSERS!
Losermantra.png

Krzysztof

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Jul 20, 2014
Warsaw, Poland
@EricZ, I don't want to sound judgemental, but what you've written about the "losers" is exactly the attitude that I'm trying to change in myself. I've noticed that sometimes my thinking goes along the lines of "I understand how it is, they don't, I am better than them". I believe this kind of thinking is poisonous in relationships with other people and for the mind in general. Someone can have wrong ideas about getting successful and still be a great person and a true friend. It's more beneficial to stop judging others and focus on our goals and our journey. Again, please don't take my comment personally, because as I've written it is a trait that I've been trying to deal with in my own behavior lately :)

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
@EricZ, I don't want to sound judgemental, but what you've written about the "losers" is exactly the attitude that I'm trying to change in myself. I've noticed that sometimes my thinking goes along the lines of "I understand how it is, they don't, I am better than them". I believe this kind of thinking is poisonous in relationships with other people and for the mind in general. Someone can have wrong ideas about getting successful and still be a great person and a true friend. It's more beneficial to stop judging others and focus on our goals and our journey. Again, please don't take my comment personally, because as I've written it is a trait that I've been trying to deal with in my own behavior lately :)

I think he's talking about the people who SAY they would be successful if/only. I have people tell me "if I had a system that you had (self publishing) I'd be working hard/making tons of money." O RLY? Then I have to shake my head because those people tend to be the ones who haven't accomplished much on their own... they might have a job, but the projects they start to do never get off the ground. You can't trick the process. So the pic above is great. Even if these people HAD the process..they'd still lament about 'luck' because they ACTUALLY want the luck part to go all the way to someone else doing the work and them just getting the reward. Game recognizes game, and the part of the game is ability to create action consistently.

EricZ

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Oct 18, 2014
Germany & California
@Krzysztof -- exactly what @Rawr said!
Too many people use "luck" as an excuse, don't even try, when they should just get out there and go for it -- hurry up and fail!
But even before I reach my goals I'm hearing excuses from people who see me trying, then they reflect upon themselves and make excuses!
I think it's a form of ego-schutz, face saving, ego-baby-sitting, whatever.
Indirectly that motivates me, because if I'm trying that hard that people are making excuses for themselves, well "maybe" I'm on the right path.

The Germans have a cool and perfect saying for it; „Da wo die Angst ist, da geht’s lang!“ -- where the FEAR is, is where you gotta go!
Yoda!

Ken Newhouse

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 30, 2015
Finally! Someone who will tell it to us straight - willing to get in our face with the realities of business and success! This is an incredibly well-written article and is what I (and anyone looking to be successful) need to hear to get re-focused and re-energized.

Dr. Ken NEwhouse

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Finally! Someone who will tell it to us straight - willing to get in our face with the realities of business and success! This is an incredibly well-written article and is what I (and anyone looking to be successful) need to hear to get re-focused and re-energized.

Dr. Ken NEwhouse

Thank you!

I forgot to mention that these are the new "to do" lists that are available on the inside (PDF) or for sale here.

todolistgreenfinal.jpg

http://www.viperionpublishing.com/productivity

Last edited:

Flora

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
233%
Jan 5, 2015
Grove, OK
I have spent years studying "luck" and I created a business around it. It is true that too many people use luck as a crutch. Hoping that a lottery ticket will be their savior. I can say the exact same thing for people who are running what I call the 'get rich quick marathon'. They are constantly running from one scheme to the next. What I have found is that people who are truly lucky are the ones who know their worth, are willing to accept a challenge even if it fills them with fear; then they by means of education and experience know in their deep belly when to walk through the door of opportunity. A useful accountability tool not only helps provide proof of progress but it also helps us to know when to accept opportunity's invitation. Thanks for the checklist image.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.