The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

If you are a 50+ Entrepreneur where do you get most of your help from?

• 40+ Older Mentor

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • under 40 Younger Mentor

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • I work alone.

Votes: 6 66.7%

• Total voters

Seniorpreneur

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Aug 4, 2007
Edmonton, AB Canada
I wanted to know how many in this group are 50+ Entrepreneurs? As far as I have been able to research this subject older entrepreneurs don't have a formal 'business support' group to go to in their own communities. If this is correct and if you are presently a 50+ Entrepreneur where are you getting most of your help from?

Seniorpreneur

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

V8Bill

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
334%
Feb 9, 2012
Australia
I'm curious; why do you ask? Do you think it makes a difference? I've never really understood how to define a "mentor". I've rarely known anyone's age, especially on forums where ages are rarely displayed.

I was recently typing with a nameless (but smart and wise) being. I not only didn't know their gender I was shocked to discover they were a teenager which was awesome which is why I'm curious and wondering what you're thinking/planning.

I'm "50+" but refuse to grow up in the normal usage of the term. I like to think that I live by the adage that old age is mandatory but maturity is optional. Then again, I've never been exposed to the aging and oxidising agents of marriage and off spring.

Last edited:

Seniorpreneur

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Aug 4, 2007
Edmonton, AB Canada
I'm curious; why do you ask? Do you think it makes a difference? I've never really understood how to define a "mentor". I've rarely known anyone's age, especially on forums where ages are rarely displayed.

I was recently typing with a nameless (but smart and wise) being. I not only didn't know their gender I was shocked to discover they were a teenager which was awesome which is why I'm curious and wondering what you're thinking/planning.

I'm "50+" but refuse to grow up in the normal usage of the term. I like to think that I live by the adage that old age is mandatory but maturity is optional. Then again, I've never been exposed to the aging and oxidising agents of marriage and off spring.

@V8Bill, The question matters to me because this is my focus group. I'm the Founder of the Seniorpreneur Project to help Seniors 50+ with the topics of Financial Literacy, Lifelong Learning, & Senior Entrepreneurship. Also, I have written a non-fiction self-help book on these topics. Yes, I believe in collaboration between younger & older entrepreneurs if it works for both of them.

You mention that your 50+ but refuse to grow up in the normal usage of the term. What are you presently working on? What is your purpose in the second half of your life? Thanks for the e-mail.

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014
@V8Bill, The question matters to me because this is my focus group. I'm the Founder of the Seniorpreneur Project to help Seniors 50+ with the topics of Financial Literacy, Lifelong Learning, & Senior Entrepreneurship. Also, I have written a non-fiction self-help book on these topics. Yes, I believe in collaboration between younger & older entrepreneurs if it works for both of them.

You mention that your 50+ but refuse to grow up in the normal usage of the term. What are you presently working on? What is your purpose in the second half of your life? Thanks for the e-mail.
Lmfao, I guessed it in my post above.

You're here for one reason - market research. It doesn't work like that around here. Settle down first, provide some FREE content to the 50+ members on here, and who knows, something might click. But if you're just here to validate your focus group or get new clients, it won't turn out well for you.

V8Bill

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
334%
Feb 9, 2012
Australia
@V8BillYou mention that your 50+ but refuse to grow up in the normal usage of the term. What are you presently working on? What is your purpose in the second half of your life? Thanks for the e-mail.
I'm not your target Senior. I don't have a "second half", I've left my mark on this world so now I just live daily with a focus on freedom. I also have almost nothing in common with people who consider themselves seniors and hope I don't for at least the next 40-50 years. After that. we'll see. But I also didn't send you an email so maybe your reply was meant for someone else. Not sure. Good luck with your market research but @MoneyDoc gave some great advice which might be worth considering.

Seniorpreneur

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Aug 4, 2007
Edmonton, AB Canada
I wanted to know how many in this group are 50+ Entrepreneurs? As far as I have been able to research this subject older entrepreneurs don't have a formal 'business support' group to go to in their own communities. If this is correct and if you are presently a 50+ Entrepreneur where are you getting most of your help from?

Seniorpreneur
I'm not your target Senior. I don't have a "second half", I've left my mark on this world so now I just live daily with a focus on freedom. I also have almost nothing in common with people who consider themselves seniors and hope I don't for at least the next 40-50 years. After that. we'll see. But I also didn't send you an email so maybe your reply was meant for someone else. Not sure. Good luck with your market research but @MoneyDoc gave some great advice which might be worth considering.

@Bill, I'm now assuming that your not a 50+ entrepreneur. I've already done my market research. The purpose here is to connect with like minded people to find out what successes and/or problems they have had with their own entrepreneurial projects. I know that there is probably 80% or more that would not be interested in talking about this subject. I have all kinds of free content on my website, on my Blog on on my social media sites (Facebook, Twitter, & LinkedIn). I hope that I have explained myself more fully. I have no problem with people over 50 that are enjoying their own leisure retirement and are not interested in productive longevity.

V8Bill

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
334%
Feb 9, 2012
Australia
@Bill, I'm now assuming that your not a 50+ entrepreneur.
I presume you're old enough to know what they say about making assumptions. Which part don't you believe? I can assure you I'm both but if you want to come in here, offer zero value and kick up dust - be my guest.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
@Bill, I'm now assuming that your not a 50+ entrepreneur. I've already done my market research. The purpose here is to connect with like minded people to find out what successes and/or problems they have had with their own entrepreneurial projects. I know that there is probably 80% or more that would not be interested in talking about this subject. I have all kinds of free content on my website, on my Blog on on my social media sites (Facebook, Twitter, & LinkedIn). I hope that I have explained myself more fully. I have no problem with people over 50 that are enjoying their own leisure retirement and are not interested in productive longevity.

Wow, you're a dick.

Last edited:

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
on-your-side.jpg

Let me do some translation:

@Bill, I'm now assuming that your not a 50+ entrepreneur.

"I came in here to validate my beliefs. You're questioning my beliefs, so obviously you're a liar. My beliefs can't be wrong. You're just younger than 50."

The purpose here is to connect with like minded people

"My purpose here is to seek confirmation, maybe clients, and to find a few people to interview for my shitty biased blog/podcast/etc. that support the poorly researched book I wrote and company I'm creating."

I have no problem with people over 50 that are enjoying their own leisure retirement and are not interested in productive longevity.

"You're over 50 and lazy. I'm above you but a gentlemen, so I'll state that in a manner where people will realize I'm an a**hole but then I'll refuse to admit that I'm an a**hole because I'm so much of an a**hole that I don't even realize it."

Last edited:

Seniorpreneur

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Aug 4, 2007
Edmonton, AB Canada
I presume you're old enough to know what they say about making assumptions. Which part don't you believe? I can assure you I'm both but if you want to come in here, offer zero value and kick up dust - be my guest.
on-your-side.jpg

Let me do some translation:

"I came in here to validate my beliefs. You're questioning my beliefs, so obviously you're a liar. My beliefs can't be wrong. You're just younger than 50."

"My purpose here is to seek confirmation, maybe clients, and to find a few people to interview for my shitty biased blog/podcast/etc. that support the poorly researched book I wrote and company I'm creating."

"You're over 50 and lazy. I'm above you but a gentlemen, so I'll state that in a manner where people will realize I'm an a**hole but then I'll refuse to admit that I'm an a**hole because I'm so much of an a**hole that I don't even realize it."

Seniorpreneur

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Aug 4, 2007
Edmonton, AB Canada
@Bill, So you are a 50+ entrepreneur! Congratulations on being on the side of productive longevity. People often say that all entrepreneurs are the same. Your a good example of older entrepreneurs that are different. Are you happy in your role as an older entrepreneur or are you frustrated a lot of the time. Personally, I get some help from a younger mentor who handles all my technical computer services work. Do you get any 'business support' help or are you working alone?

Waspy

Float like a butterfly
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Dec 6, 2016
U.K.
This forum has an seeming obsession with age. And I can't fathom it.

Your age means jack shit. The market doesn't care. Your
mentors don't care. The only person who cares how old you are, is you.

How many times you have travelled round the sun is a useless metric

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Wtf?

Seniorpreneur joined this forum in 2007 according to his profile. He has 30 messages and 5 of them are in this thread.

What the hell have you been doing here this whole time?

1. Have you read the book this forum is based on?
2. Have you read the gold and notable threads on this forum? They contain a wealth of information about how the people of this forum think and behave. Their attitudes and beliefs. Their day to day processes. Everything you came here asking.

You're talking like someone running a community center focused on helping the elderly sell candles and knit sweaters to their bingo group. It's just odd.

As far as I have been able to research this subject older entrepreneurs don't have a formal 'business support' group to go to in their own communities.

As far as I have been able to research, almost nobody else has this either.

There are some pretty restricted entrepreneurial programs setup in my own community but they are mostly aimed at high school/college level kids to introduce them to the idea and little else. Most of us start with nothing and build up from there as we go with little to no "formal" help provided.

Look - entrepreneurs of ANY age get support at the same place: wherever they can.

We network. We reach out. We find mentors. We help others. We go to conventions and pay for courses and read books. We pay freelancers to help with things we can't understand ourselves. We join forums, like this one.

You are obsessed with age. Age doesn't matter.
The value you think you can add to others matters.
The ideas you come up with matters.
The execution of those ideas matters.

Age is an excuse. It may have it's own unique excuses but it's still just more excuses.

Do you think a 20 year old with no real world experience and still-developing social skills is in a better position to make "things" happen than a 50 year old with 3 decades worth of connections, experience and real world knowledge? I'd say that's ridiculous. If you are 50 and less able to make things happen than an indebted college student I really don't know what to say to that other than you've wasted a lot of damn time and have some serious catching up to do.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
@Bill, So you are a 50+ entrepreneur! Congratulations on being on the side of productive longevity. People often say that all entrepreneurs are the same. Your a good example of older entrepreneurs that are different. Are you happy in your role as an older entrepreneur or are you frustrated a lot of the time. Personally, I get some help from a younger mentor who handles all my technical computer services work. Do you get any 'business support' help or are you working alone?

Oh now you believe he's 50+? You get help from a younger mentor for all your technical computer stuff? LOL

You are living like you are an old fart. Your brain sees age as a barrier. I guess a 60 year old cannot fix a computer and a 30 year old cannot give you business advice?

I think you are a poor example that old entrepreneurs are different. Why would an older entrepreneur be frustrated all the time vs a younger one? Is it because he can't read the tiny print on the screen? Jeez.

I'm 45, going to be 46 in a few months. I believe MJ is getting close to 50. I guess in 4 years I'm going to become a frustrated old fogie and wither away.

BTW, I mentor a handful of entrepreneurs and while I do have a sense of their age, I really don't know, remember or even care how old they are. Do you think I would ever accept age as an excuse for one of my mentees? "Oh, I can't do that because I'm 50+ and John over there is only 30." "Yeah, you are right, I need to put together a different lesson for you because you are old."

Seniorpreneur

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Aug 4, 2007
Edmonton, AB Canada
Wtf?

Seniorpreneur joined this forum in 2007 according to his profile. He has 30 messages and 5 of them are in this thread.

What the hell have you been doing here this whole time?

1. Have you read the book this forum is based on?
2. Have you read the gold and notable threads on this forum? They contain a wealth of information about how the people of this forum think and behave. Their attitudes and beliefs. Their day to day processes. Everything you came here asking.

You're talking like someone running a community center focused on helping the elderly sell candles and knit sweaters to their bingo group. It's just odd.

As far as I have been able to research, almost nobody else has this either.

There are some pretty restricted entrepreneurial programs setup in my own community but they are mostly aimed at high school/college level kids to introduce them to the idea and little else. Most of us start with nothing and build up from there as we go with little to no "formal" help provided.

Look - entrepreneurs of ANY age get support at the same place: wherever they can.

We network. We reach out. We find mentors. We help others. We go to conventions and pay for courses and read books. We pay freelancers to help with things we can't understand ourselves. We join forums, like this one.

You are obsessed with age. Age doesn't matter.
The value you think you can add to others matters.
The ideas you come up with matters.
The execution of those ideas matters.

Age is an excuse. It may have it's own unique excuses but it's still just more excuses.

Do you think a 20 year old with no real world experience and still-developing social skills is in a better position to make "things" happen than a 50 year old with 3 decades worth of connections, experience and real world knowledge? I'd say that's ridiculous. If you are 50 and less able to make things happen than an indebted college student I really don't know what to say to that other than you've wasted a lot of damn time and have some serious catching up to do.

Do you know what a marketing focus group is? My focus group is the 50+ demographic. I wrote a self-help business book for the potential older entrepreneurs. This has nothing to do with the younger group which is not my marketing focus.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Do you know what a marketing focus group is? My focus group is the 50+ demographic. I wrote a self-help business book for the potential older entrepreneurs. This has nothing to do with the younger group which is not my marketing focus.

I apologize for the rough tone in this thread but it is because the folks here sense you are not here to contribute, but to leverage the forum as some type of research and marketing outreach tool. You've been registered here at the forum for over 10 years, actually member #46, and most of your posts are non-contributory.

After 10 years, the forum has seen enough "drive bys" who backlink to their blogs and then disappear only to reappear when they have something to sell. <-- this is why you're getting heat versus genuine feedback.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I apologize for the rough tone in this thread but it is because the folks here sense you are not here to contribute, but to leverage the forum as some type of research and marketing outreach tool.

@Bill, I'm now assuming that your not a 50+ entrepreneur. I've already done my market research.

I have no problem with people over 50 that are enjoying their own leisure retirement and are not interested in productive longevity.

It's mainly because in a single post he accuses another member of not being over 50 and then bashes him by saying he's not productive.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I'm almost a senior. FML
So am I, which is why I had to Google "FML". Still none the wiser tbh.

You're obviously a cooler close-to-senior than me @Vigilante ... (off to sign into Snapchat for a few hours to try and become cooler).

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
So, why the hell are we calling 50 senior now? I think that's the biggest flaw in OP's argument.

In the past few decades we've seen a huge shift in typical age norms. People are no longer having their first child at age 22, they're waiting till age 30.

So in today's age, why is 50 a senior? I know plenty of 55 year olds who can out run me or kick my a$$.

There is no difference between a 50 years old and a 30 year old in respect to their ability to perform in life and business.

Maybe I'm wrong because I'm not yet 30, but isure as hell won't be calling myself a senior in 20 years.

V8Bill

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
334%
Feb 9, 2012
Australia
Ok, so let's see what value we can extract from this thread for both ourselves and the OP because I have a feeling that underneath all this the OP did mean well:

1) Entrepreneurial types don't like to think in terms of old/young we're all very similar - we want an end result.
2) We (TFF members) have once again put an emphasis on adding value above being used for validation regardless of the best intentions.
3) We don't like assumptions or labels especially if they don't fit.

...what else?

CareCPA

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
356%
May 2, 2017
Pennsylvania
4.) Old people are skeptical of everything, even other old people.

Seniorpreneur

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Aug 4, 2007
Edmonton, AB Canada
I apologize for the rough tone in this thread but it is because the folks here sense you are not here to contribute, but to leverage the forum as some type of research and marketing outreach tool. You've been registered here at the forum for over 10 years, actually member #46, and most of your posts are non-contributory.

After 10 years, the forum has seen enough "drive bys" who backlink to their blogs and then disappear only to reappear when they have something to sell. <-- this is why you're getting heat versus genuine feedback.

@MJ, Thanks for the e-mail! When I joined this Forum over 10 years ago I was in the 'very slow' lane as can be shown by the 'speed rate' that I was assigned at that time. Today 10 years later I have learned how to get into a faster lane. Through some of my key mentors like Colonel Harland Sanders (KFC) and Robert Kiyosaki I was able to get 'personal debt free' and I now have a positive cash flow situation. Also, I am much more comfortable in my active, creative & productive retirement life. . Many seniors 50+ already have the required skills, interests, knowledge, contacts and resources to become business or social entrepreneurs in their new retirement lifestyle. Again, all I want to do is talk to the older 50+ demographic to see how they are doing in their own life, maybe their own small business, and maybe they have developed a new product or service for the current marketplace but require more help to become a senior entrepreneur. I was able to survive many trials & tribulations and I would be very happy to discuss & help the 50+ age group who were somewhat like me 10 years ago. Today we still have ageism and a lot of disrespect for older people. I'm also studying 'seniors issues' especially seniors poverty. I hope this helps to get some more positive discussions going in this very important area. Thanks for listening MJ! I'm just trying to help some older people get into one of those 'faster lanes' and to hopefully enjoy a more fun & productive retirement lifestyle.

P.S. To achieve better & more positive discussions I would also encourage the younger under 40 or 50 members to dream big and discuss what kind of 'retirement lifestyle' that they are hoping to find or looking forward to when they become 50+ Fastline members? Thanks!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.