The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

$100k 2017

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
Stop.

Stop.

Stop.

Here's the deal: With very rare exceptions, you need to have a system in place to make $100K from nothing. Making $100k/yr is easy with the right system in place. People writing books, running forums, selling on Amazon, and cleaning rugs on here all make that much. However, to make it from general hustling/odd jobs is very very hard and highly dependent on luck (buy some hustle item that makes 5-6x profit in very high quantity without saturating the market).

$100K is $400/day, 5 days a week, 50 weeks a year (allows for two days a week without earning money, and two weeks off per year. Maybe that's excessive, but people who say they'll be earning every single day are not being realistic either. You will not be hustling on Christmas day (nobody will be buying). You will not be free from illness/flu every single day of the year.)

I'd encourage you to get some sort of high-autonomy job (Check out @Fox and @SinisterLex ) and then try, on the side, to make $3,000. Why $3,000? Because I feel this is doable for most people in 1-2 months with little experience, and it represents a substantial windfall-about an extra month of income for most middle-class employees. It gives you a win, it's manageable just by hustling, and it lets you get your feet under you before you go for the gold.

Right now, you made $57 by shoveling snow. In financial terms, you're like the 450lbs guy who finally hit rock bottom over the weekend, committed to turning his life around, bought a set of trainers, and walked his first half mile this morning. That's great. But jumping from that to saying you're going to be 180lbs and 6% body fat by next January is simply unrealistic. Setting goals this big and this far apart is an action fake. It's a way for you to let your brain be boggled by the enormity of the task, sink easily into defeat, and then have an excuse for why you gave up.

Instead, set an attainable, measurable goal, for this Friday, and meet that. Take that $57, buy something on craigslist, and turn it into $100 somehow. Alternately, look for events that can create processes of saving in your life that will leave you with more money, that you can invest in a business (for example, switching from a $50/mo smartphone to a $30/mo Project Fi phone is an event, saving $20/mo or $240/yr is the process that effortlessly results). You can't win the game on defense. But the defense can set the offense up for an easy four quarters, if you do it right.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
RHL is on the money. Build a system.

I started a completely new skill less than a year ago. I made pennies the first few months but built a system.
Month one... $100
Month six... $4500
Month twelve... $30k+

With some work and following my plan I think I can break one million in sales per year in the next two years. And that isn't pie in the sky, its carefully written down and worked out. But it all started with something that is somewhat scalable, a plan and a system. Plus I am not special, I got 90% of the information on here and just put it to use. I already see people getting my results in a way faster time too so it is possible.

Go read the gold threads and follow your gut. Best of luck.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

RHL

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
I started a completely new skill less than a year ago. I made pennies the first few months but built a system.

This is why "defense," slashing expenses, is so important starting out. Fox is in a competitive and difficult, but very "low-initial-capital" industry. If he bombed early on, he lost time, and time is money, but in most industries, the prospect of losing both (ex: 2 months and $20,000 down the tubes on a failure) is very, very real when you first start out. You need to weatherproof your financial situation for the storm of failure that you'll have to sail through to get to the clear skies on the other side (Just like I'm sure Fox had to have another job or a means of providing food and shelter for those first few months). So, do three things:

1. Start to grow your little pile of cash in MANAGEABLE, bite-sized increments.
  2. Remorselessly slash all frivolous expenses. Add the money saved/earned from cutting/selling this stuff to your pile above, and repeat.
  3. Start to build a system that will take the uncertainty out of making a modest, but consistent amount of money each and every day.
That's it. The secret to making $100K is not to make it all in a week or a month, just like you don't become fluent in a language by cramming on the plane before you land in a foreign country. It's to make a couple of sales, and a few hundred dollars, every day. That's the start of the faslane. I look forward to hearing about that crisp $100 bill you earned on Friday.

Last edited:

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
So much of this thread is day dreaming. First come back to reality and try to make $1000.

5,000 landscaping clients at $20? Seriously? Can you get 15 new clients a day? Can you even handle the billing?

10,000sf warehouse? Entertainment niche?

Wtf?

RHL

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
ok so the past few days ive been doing nothing rly, (well went snowboarding) been waiting all year... was gonna take a trip to a nearby island but got on the bus and was it was to crammed so i freaked out and left...i was considering moving cities but am thinking of just staying for now, getting a couple of jobs..clocking 80 hours a week to just have a few grand then go from there....what do you guys think, id like to get a car to make my life a bit easier

You shouldn't have gone snowboarding. I know it's anathema here, but you really need to read Your Money or Your Life or Mr. Money Mustache's blog. While hardcore saving isn't a route to millions and a life of freedom, part of getting started effectively is that you need to go into ultra austerity mode right now. Zero dinners out. Zero movies. Zero snowboarding trips. Get a Republic or a Fi phone, cheapest handset they carry, get a bicycle. You can't out-exercise a bad diet (bad spending habits). Proper nutrition is key to getting yourself in shape. Until you start posting some profit, you need to bank everything. After working 80 hours a week, you won't have the clarity or the energy to launch a fastlane business very quickly. Better to work a more normal schedule and stretch every dime.

If you had started hustling when I first mentioned it, you'd have $200 extra dollars now. $200 can buy an entire day of freedom, that's what the average American worker earns in a day. Cut out everything that distracts you from your goal. Start fighting NOW, not when it's convenient. If you can work through the holidays, you can work through anything. I made multiple sales calls TODAY, on Christmas eve. I sold over $800 worth of product in the last two days to last-minute buyers. Did you make any calls today? Did you chase down any leads?

Your competition isn't taking the weekend off. You can't afford to, either.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
So I wanted to dive into this with retrospect a bit, since this is a former competitor of mine. If people find this helpful awesome.

Here's the #1 seller on AMZ doing ?? $40k sales +?? with the exact same product with an improved product of my own.
  1. One thing on my website that I don't have customer reviews (oops) although I only had a couple of customers reply back with one of them stating my toys got ripped apart by they're dogs within the first day.. Yeh, made in China quality.
  2. Still have struggled with my advertising, looking into the Delomo glove I actually have a higher skew value than the product since my bundle includes toys with the glove at a cheaper price, no one will buy it if they don't know about it right?
  3. I haven't offered a money back guarantee as Delomo offers.
  4. The main reasons Delomo kicked my a$$ would actually be they did a more efficient job at marketing the product. My strategy has been IG/FB linked to my website, that's all. Oddly enough this ?company? doesn't even exist on facebook? Or at least I cant find them
  5. I was never on youtube showcasing the product as when I tried it out the product sucked as mentioned before. As bio stated they do have a better product
  6. Also they have affiliate marketing plugs on youtube/websites with direct link buy box to AMZ (I haven't done any affiliate marketing)
  7. They're copy write is a bit better than mine.
I feel optimistic though looking into this. If a basic product with amateur level marketing can do 5 figures, what happens when you have an awesome product, with awesome marketing?

I'm happy to have taken these lessons in. And hope you lurkers learned something as well.

I'm sorry but you are delusional here. I think that you are still making excuses. The main reason that yours did not sell is because you didn't put any effort into it at all.

Let's look at your reasons (and I'm really doing this to help others who cannot figure out why their "same" product is not selling $40k a month like the #1 listing).

1) One thing on my website that I don't have customer reviews (oops) although I only had a couple of customers reply back with one of them stating my toys got ripped apart by they're dogs within the first day.. Yeh, made in China quality.

You could have easily "made up" some reviews. Come on, it's your own website, you control the content.

You got one reply and blame it on made in China quality. Well your competitors are made in China aren't they? Guess why your quality was bad? It's not because of China, it's because of you

2) Still have struggled with my advertising, looking into the Delomo glove I actually have a higher skew value than the product since my bundle includes toys with the glove at a cheaper price, no one will buy it if they don't know about it right?

So your crappier glove was cheaper and you included a toy? You really think that that is a value skew? If I'm trying to buy a dog comb, I want a dog comb. Not a crappier dog comb and a toy. I don't need a toy.

3) I haven't offered a money back guarantee as Delomo offers.

I don't know how much more this converts, but why didn't you? It's not like this is a hard thing to do. You could have typed up a single sentence on your website.

4) The main reasons Delomo kicked my a$$ would actually be they did a more efficient job at marketing the product. My strategy has been IG/FB linked to my website, that's all. Oddly enough this company doesn't even exist on facebook? Or at least I cant find them.

Are you comparing your website to your website or to their Amazon listing? How do you even know how much they sell on their website? I bet that they sell 99% on Amazon.

The reason they kicked your butt is because they rank very high on Amazon and have good reviews. It's not because of their social media strategy.

5) I was never on youtube showcasing the product as when I tried it out the product sucked as mentioned before. As bio stated they do have a better product.

Finally you get to the real reason. Your product sucked. It has zero to do with youtube. They have 2 videos, 11 subscribers and 26k total views on Youtube.

6) Also they have affiliate marketing plugs on youtube/websites with direct link buy box to AMZ (I haven't done any affiliate marketing)

This is irrelevant.

7) They're copy write is a bit better than mine.

Again, pretty irrelevant

Here's what you should have done:
1) Order the top 10 gloves from Amazon
2) Test out the top 10 gloves from Amazon
3) Choose the best glove out of the 10
4) Find the best features out of the 10
5) Try to incorporate some of these features into the best glove
6) Find 5 manufacturers that make that glove and add your features
5) Find a way to differentiate your glove (I would have done it by color)
6) Take great photos of your glove. Make a good video
7) Make a good Amazon listing
8) Launch at a lower price, breakeven
9) Get reviews
10) Run PPC
11) Breakeven on your first 500 units
12) Raise price
13) Profit

This is what you did
1) Contact one manufacturer in China
2) Order gloves
3) List on Amazon
4) Make a website
5) Twiddle thumbs

I'm sorry to be so hard on you, but it's clear that you aren't learning your lesson. The fact that you listed "I had a shitty product" as your #5 reason tells it all. You don't give a sh*t about the people purchasing your product. You don't care if it works or not. You just want money.

All your reasons put the blame on your marketing, website or social media. The truth is that if you actually sold 10 a day on Amazon, it would have lasted one month because you would have 50 1-3 star reviews and get shut down by Amazon.

RHL

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
as for earning $100 by friday im stumped to be quite honest unless im selling a service (my labour) or item..i wouldnt be sure where to start..

If you don't have a job, get one. Even minimum wage is better than zero. Also, your job functions like a fastlane gateway: You will spot B2B and B2C problems that customers of the business have or the business has, but only people who work in the trenches know about. You solve that pain, and you will get rich.

thanks for the input guys, ive been writing down alot of stuff recently and my reasoning for pursuing my startups in the summer is because it is seasonal, i want to build a small business in landscaping/residential property upkeep, do all the hustle myself > acquire customers > then hire people to do all the physical labour for me and branch out (build repeat customers)

Now is the time to hustle up some spare money, and then and buy your equipment for a substantial discount over what people are paying the rest of the year. In the summer, everyone else who waited to start until it was warm and comfortable out will be getting their crew and their gear together. You can buy old tractors and be fixing them up/prepping them now. The best time to buy an Aston Martin is when there's three feet of snow on the ground. The best time to buy gear to cut grass is when it's covered with ice. Call and secure clients. Offer discounted snow removal if they also sign up for summer mowing. The name of the game is locking in annual contracts, especially if part of the contract is prepaid (i.e., "X/mo, but you also pay Y if snow amount is over Z inches"). Research and see what you need to do and where you need to go to get a steal on gear and load up. Plow trucks are going to be at a premium right now, but one substantial snowfall could pay for one. Maybe you want a bobcat instead. That can do snow, and construction in the summer.

And stop talking about a business that will scale to eight or nine figures. Right now, you need to make eighty or ninety dollars. Keep your eyes on the ball, get off your a$$, and make it happen!

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
I've read the last four pages of this progress thread, and it seems to be filled with action fake.

You need to do something to get your business started.

@biophase gave you good advice. What have you done since then? Did you look at different products to import? Did you at least get price quotes from suppliers to confirm what he's saying is true? Did you make a list of other options?

You need to be pushing your business (life) forward everyday.

Moving to Calgary is cool, but that has zero impact on your ability to create an income stream. You didn't have a business before. You don't have a business today.

Your goal for 2017 was "to make $100k!" You missed that, and I'm guessing by a lot because you failed to take action and learn. Currently you're in a similar predicament.

When will you take your first step? 2018? Because 2018 is F*cking 26 days away. Then 2018 hits and you realize "Oh shit, Chinese New Year is a thing," and don't do anything for another month. Next thing you know it's March 1st, and you don't have a product, don't have any samples, just a couple emails that you exchanged with a supplier or two.

If you're going to be successful, then you need to do it.

In a previous post you mentioned that you've "paid your dues". What dues have you paid? Reading a book or two? Taking some pictures and putting them on Instagram while smiling to yourself that you got a handful of followers?

At which point did you create value that was scalable and learn from it?

This is your life. You can take control and dominate, or you can delude yourself that you're making progress. You decide.

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013
if you've been broke all your life (like many of us here), do $1K first.
then $10K.
then $100K.

everybody dreams of making millions but if you've never walked that road, you won't know what to expect and it's easy to get overwhelmed and distracted.

and don't start next year, start today, this week.

good luck.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
i will be updating this until dec 31st, looking to post a picture of $100's scattered everywhere (preferably in a beautiful porsche)

Huh? And this helps how?

This thread is a candidate for the #landfill -- I see lots of action-faking, motivational circle-jerking, and absolutely no plan or discussion of value. It's like you think this will be easy because you posted "$100k in 2017 posting random quotes on social media!"

2 pages in and I have no clue what's going on other than you like skiing and pictures of fast cars. None of that will make you hit $1k in earnings, much less $100k.

Have you read @Fox GOLD thread? Any of the GOLD threads?

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
So, for the covers I’ve found manufacturers that will wholesale anywhere from $3-$10. Currently there are some sellers on amazon, one in particular retailing at $39.99 with over 300 reviews, Now a problem I anticipate is getting into a me to product, with this seller many others have jumped on the band wagon and are doing the same thing which saturates the market a bit. One seller somehow squeezed a Hail Mary and has lots of reviews & $70.

No idea how they managed that but good for them. Pricing I could stay in the sub $30 range possibly but would need to sell via different venues, which brings me back to the importance of building a brand. As I have an interest in animals, having some type of local events to boost familiarity with my name should help cement me into the brand people want to suppport.

Back to the prices, I see a sub $10 profit or so with the cover, don’t know how to include taxes and shipping but when I have it in my hands with the bill paid it can be calculated. As for the beds I know wholesale (again alibaba) we can buy for under $5, maybe could retail these for under $20 and still squeeze in a small profit. Like I mentioned I have no clue about shipping fees so this will be my education process. I’ve read the thread you posted about “do you want it the easy way or hard way” what I took from that is taking tiny profits is something people will overlook, so in the example of dog beds, even if we’re paying $10 and selling them for $20, and only make a few bucks after shipping costs, lots of people will not pursue something tedious like that. Thanks for that thread btw! For toys I meant under $5, see tons of suppliers that sell super cheap ( under $1 even ) so maybe giving away free toys and chalking it up as an advertisement fee could be a great approach, everyone loves free stuff. Thanks again for taking time to reply!

First, there are over 5 pages of car covers on Amazon. The market is super saturated will Chinese manufacturers.
Second, the type of car cover you are talking about will cost you $10 for 500pcs. $12 for 100-300 pcs. I'm going to assume that you are purchasing only 100pcs.
Third, the size of the car covers makes shipping costly, probably about $7 per unit. Customs cost is $.33.

I'm just ballparking the shipping based on you ordering 100 units and putting them on a pallet. I'm guessing $700/pallet, so $7/unit. I shipped a whole container and my per unit prices were still in the $2+ range.

So you are talking about $19.33 landed at your house. Then another $2 to ship to Amazon facility. So you are at $21.33 landed at an Amazon warehouse.

Now if you price it at $29.99 and Amazon will take 15% commission ($4.50) and charge you $5.56 to fulfill it. So you get $19.93, which leaves you $1.40 loss per unit. Once you toss in Amazon warehouse fees, this product is a loser at $30. I highly doubt that you will make any money and give you a 99% chance that you will lose money on them.

You may be able to get $35 for them. At $35, you would profit $2.86 per unit. As for the one selling at $70, they were the original brand that invented these.

You are jumping into the "me too" sea of products and will not survive this. I'm telling you that you will lose whatever money you put into the 3 products that you have decided on.

I have literally just gotten new quotes on this product 2 days ago because my original manufacturer's price went up 30%. I know this product in great detail to the specs on every material layer. These are initial quotes from new factories, pasted below.

Now you may look at them and say WTF, he said $12 a unit, these quotes are at $8. Well, they will usually quote you their lowest price version. I already know that to get the cover up to the specs to compete in the $35-$50 range that you will need to add $2-$3 to these prices. These $8-$9 prices would be the ones you see selling for $20-$25 on Amazon. Also, not included in the quote is the carry bag and the cardboard insert card which is usually between $.60-$1 a piece.

Hi
This is Wendy from China. Thanks very much for your inquiry for our Pet Car Seat Cover.
We are experienced in supplying Pet products, and we are a reliable partner in quality control and cost saving. Hope we can build business relationship in the nearest future.
The XL size is 57*60", and the quote for 200 pcs is $8.6/pc FOB China port. If the order quantity can reach to 500 pcs, it will be $7.9/pc FOB China port.
We are ready to provide sample for your to check details, it is $80 including freight. Would you like to check the sample first?
Thanks and hope to hear from you soon.

Hi Kenric,
Thanks for inquiry on pet cover, this is Neumann from bags co. ltd.
pls check attached quotation contains price and packing list.
1. 100 pcs Basic 2 black color: PET-141X, EXW price $8.9/pc
Basic 3: PET-184X, we do not have stock, if 500 pcs we can produce, EXW price :$10.9/pc
2. shipping cost will be calculated when qty and delivery address is given.
3. LOGO, qty at 300 pcs, your logo can be added; 500 pcs, you can customize pockets, zipper, mesh window, etc., pls check "OEM" atatched.

Hi Kenric,
For 200pcs, size 136*139cm, FOB Guangzhou Unit price is $12
Regards,
Gina

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Why does the other version have 2200 4.5 star reviews?

I can already tell from you photo that yours had way less bristles. Your bristles are also alot shorter and thinner than the Delomo.

Let me ask you these questions:
How many of the top brands of pet grooming gloves did you buy from Amazon?
How many factories did you order samples from before you chose to go with your production order?
How many of these gloves did you put on and test out on a dog?
How many silicon tips came on each of your gloves, how many were on the competitors?

It's not the product that sucked... it was your effort. I bet I could sell these successfully on Amazon if I wanted to.

Thiago Machado

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
May 20, 2014
Before you make another post, fix your mindset.

Here's why:
  • Your name is sparechange.
  • You have $800 to your name.
  • You're talking about employees and 10,000 sqft warehouses when you haven't made $1
  • You're "hungry for success" (but took a ski trip??? aren't you unemployed?)
  • You're talking about throwing stacks of money on a car you don't have.
Fastlane is a mindset.

People with money don't say this nonsense.
People with money are working all the time, whether they want to or not.

Re-read the millionaire fastlane and then go out and get yourself a copy of the 10x rule by Grant Cardone.
Internalize the concepts of both books. (Mindset fixed.)

Right now, you have no action plan of how to make 100k per year.
Forget the warehouse and the Lamborghini's for now.
Make a plan and take action.

Master one at a time:
Mindset > sales > leadership > management

Last edited:

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
I'm sorry but you are delusional here. I think that you are still making excuses. The main reason that yours did not sell is because you didn't put any effort into it at all.

Let's look at your reasons (and I'm really doing this to help others who cannot figure out why their "same" product is not selling $40k a month like the #1 listing).

1) One thing on my website that I don't have customer reviews (oops) although I only had a couple of customers reply back with one of them stating my toys got ripped apart by they're dogs within the first day.. Yeh, made in China quality.

You could have easily "made up" some reviews. Come on, it's your own website, you control the content.

You got one reply and blame it on made in China quality. Well your competitors are made in China aren't they? Guess why your quality was bad? It's not because of China, it's because of you

2) Still have struggled with my advertising, looking into the Delomo glove I actually have a higher skew value than the product since my bundle includes toys with the glove at a cheaper price, no one will buy it if they don't know about it right?

So your crappier glove was cheaper and you included a toy? You really think that that is a value skew? If I'm trying to buy a dog comb, I want a dog comb. Not a crappier dog comb and a toy. I don't need a toy.

3) I haven't offered a money back guarantee as Delomo offers.

I don't know how much more this converts, but why didn't you? It's not like this is a hard thing to do. You could have typed up a single sentence on your website.

4) The main reasons Delomo kicked my a$$ would actually be they did a more efficient job at marketing the product. My strategy has been IG/FB linked to my website, that's all. Oddly enough this company doesn't even exist on facebook? Or at least I cant find them.

Are you comparing your website to your website or to their Amazon listing? How do you even know how much they sell on their website? I bet that they sell 99% on Amazon.

The reason they kicked your butt is because they rank very high on Amazon and have good reviews. It's not because of their social media strategy.

5) I was never on youtube showcasing the product as when I tried it out the product sucked as mentioned before. As bio stated they do have a better product.

Finally you get to the real reason. Your product sucked. It has zero to do with youtube. They have 2 videos, 11 subscribers and 26k total views on Youtube.

6) Also they have affiliate marketing plugs on youtube/websites with direct link buy box to AMZ (I haven't done any affiliate marketing)

This is irrelevant.

7) They're copy write is a bit better than mine.

Again, pretty irrelevant

Here's what you should have done:
1) Order the top 10 gloves from Amazon
2) Test out the top 10 gloves from Amazon
3) Choose the best glove out of the 10
4) Find the best features out of the 10
5) Try to incorporate some of these features into the best glove
6) Find 5 manufacturers that make that glove and add your features
5) Find a way to differentiate your glove (I would have done it by color)
6) Take great photos of your glove. Make a good video
7) Make a good Amazon listing
8) Launch at a lower price, breakeven
9) Get reviews
10) Run PPC
11) Breakeven on your first 500 units
12) Raise price
13) Profit

This is what you did
1) Contact one manufacturer in China
2) Order gloves
3) List on Amazon
4) Make a website
5) Twiddle thumbs

I'm sorry to be so hard on you, but it's clear that you aren't learning your lesson. The fact that you listed "I had a sh*tty product" as your #5 reason tells it all. You don't give a sh*t about the people purchasing your product. You don't care if it works or not. You just want money.

All your reasons put the blame on your marketing, website or social media. The truth is that if you actually sold 10 a day on Amazon, it would have lasted one month because you would have 50 1-3 star reviews and get shut down by Amazon.

@sparechange I hope you're taking notes. This is literally... STEP BY STEP... how to sell on Amazon and win.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
I've read the last four pages of this progress thread, and it seems to be filled with action fake.

You need to do something to get your business started.

@biophase gave you good advice. What have you done since then? Did you look at different products to import? Did you at least get price quotes from suppliers to confirm what he's saying is true? Did you make a list of other options?

You need to be pushing your business (life) forward everyday.

Moving to Calgary is cool, but that has zero impact on your ability to create an income stream. You didn't have a business before. You don't have a business today.

Your goal for 2017 was "to make $100k!" You missed that, and I'm guessing by a lot because you failed to take action and learn. Currently you're in a similar predicament.

When will you take your first step? 2018? Because 2018 is F*cking 26 days away. Then 2018 hits and you realize "Oh shit, Chinese New Year is a thing," and don't do anything for another month. Next thing you know it's March 1st, and you don't have a product, don't have any samples, just a couple emails that you exchanged with a supplier or two.

If you're going to be successful, then you need to do it.

In a previous post you mentioned that you've "paid your dues". What dues have you paid? Reading a book or two? Taking some pictures and putting them on Instagram while smiling to yourself that you got a handful of followers?

At which point did you create value that was scalable and learn from it?

This is your life. You can take control and dominate, or you can delude yourself that you're making progress. You decide.

@sparechange - You're in a tough place right now, so I've been debating whether or not to make this post. However, I find personally that pain is the absolute best way to create progress. The pain you're feeling right now, harness that and turn that into something positive.

Also, you asked not to be pitied... so now time for some tough love:

2 years ago, I made the post above. You were action faking then. You continued to action fake until now - and ended up homeless and depressed.

Your life is yours.

You make it what you want to make it into.

In your post above you called yourself a lot of dark things. "Worthless bum", "total loser", "absolute moron"... referred to your existence as "my total shit useless life".

F*ck that.

That's the past.

You're not your past. You're only your present and future self.

In the past, you failed not because you were worthless, a loser, or a moron ... you failed because you were a pussy with low self worth. You didn't believe in yourself and because of that, you didn't take action.

You were scared.

And where did being scared get you?

Crying on the F*cking street. Think about that. You were too scared to take action and fail, and because of that ended up in the absolute worst position that you'll ever be in.

Oh, and that guy that you're angry at because he didn't give a shit about you crying in the street? Here's a wake up call: No one cares about you with the exception of a few close friends/family. And that goes for anyone. No one gives a shit about anyone. And because of that: No one's going to help you become who you want to be. No one.

The only person that can help you be who you want to be is you.

It's all in your head.

You not taking action for 4 years - that's in your head.

You thinking you're a loser - that's in your head.

If you believe that, then that's who you'll be.

Stop thinking that.

Stop being a pussy.

You've hit your rock bottom. It's time to man up and start living the life that you planned to live 4 years ago. It's time to take control over your own life and make of it what you want. You're in control and have the power to do anything you want. However, same as before, in order to become something you need to start by doing something.

Save up cash. Build up some security. Start going to the gym, shaving, dressing better, eating better, or whatever to build up your self esteem. Stop thinking of yourself in the terms that you self defined. And then in a few months when you're a little bit more confident, go at it again.

It's your life. You choose how to live it.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
alright, this will be a fun goal to achieve, i recently did my first ever entrepreneurial startup with $0 (got a shovel and made $57 in a few hours work clearing snow, its completely alien to me to make money from nothing..i was brainwashed to get jobs and be an employee...anyways i just wanted to make this thread for my dream of making $100k and tracking it every once in a while

i have a few business plans that i will be executing in the spring/summertime (maybe winter time to) and believe i can achieve this magic number...ive been broke all my life, ''rich'' to me was holding a few grand in my hand...will be really nice to hold $100k, ill prolly take a bath in it and go swimming, until then..im just at $55 net so far, guilty of spending $2 for a hot chocolate and peanut butter bar so theres $99.945 to go..there will be multiple streams of income so if i can get some to take off i can hire people to do the work for me whilst i work on other things/enjoy my life...

good luck to everyone on theyre journey to freedom...

[work hard & make people HAPPY] ''some guy in a red ferrari f430''

million$$$smile

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
703%
Dec 25, 2012
Midwest
This is by no means a put down, but have you ever been tested for ADHD?

I am by no means a doctor, but I have a couple of friends that display similar traits, and once they were tested, and treated, their focus was 100% better. They were able to focus on one particular goal and actually accomplish something.

Just a thought...

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Ok. I would defer to your judgment. Brainstorm session over, now the evaluation of the idea... no worries if they ended up being ideas that need to be tossed out due to factors that I didn't see.

Just out of curiosity, you said you thought you could sell these if they were yours. How would you approach it?

Pretty much what CareCPA said.

I would have ordered the top rated ones on Amazon. At least the top 10. Maybe 15.
Then I would have gone through all 10-15 and read the 1-3 star reviews to see what people said.
Then I would have gotten a dog and tested all the gloves.
Then I would have looked through alibaba for manufacturers of the top 3 and ordered samples from 3-5 factories.
Then I would have ask manufacturers to make any changes based on the customer complaints.

Looking at his product I can easily see that he probably ordered from the cheapest factory. The nubs are too short and not dense. The glove stitching on the back is off centered and the fingers look just weird. The fabric.. ugh and yuck. No wonder it was $2. I wouldn't have picked that model either, there are other better ones selling on Amazon.

I would also not have picked a blue hand. Why did he do blue? Everyone else has blue. I would have made mine orange I think.

In summary, I would have made a better product or at least at the same level of quality as the others.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
looking at launching a niche, have been trying to find some warehouses to lease/rent and oh wow, anywhere from 5 - 6 figures...ill have to talk to some property owners and see if i can manage a profit share type situation...anyone have experience in this???

why do you need a warehouse? You've got a living room don't you?

you're very quickly falling into the trap of "bullshit excuses".

You don't need a warehouse until you're pushing massive quantities of product.

Until then, you can live with the products.

They won't bite.

Merging Left

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 20, 2014
the person i did a lawn for $15 i thought was a silly situation imo, he did have $25 cash on him and was reluctant to pay $10 extra so i low balled mid pitch. after as i said he paid me $25 and then asked for $10 back..just a funny situation in my eyes! anyone that owns a home in vancouver is a paper millionaire, maybe he was a renter ^_^

This is a mindset issue. Of course he can afford $25. To him, you're not worth $25.

You need to stop thinking of rich people as having money to throw around because they don't care. They have that amount of money because the recognize what is valuable, and they DON'T burn money on useless things. In fact, they're probably very mindful of their spending. Stop expecting free money from rich people, and start providing value that they would be happy to spend money to receive. That mindset will serve you well when dealing with people at every income level.

Grahamj

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
209%
Sep 9, 2012
I just read this post and have to say that it was the most exhausting thing I've done in a while. I'm not too sure where you are or which business you are currently in. There's been a TON of advice from members in the post and it doesn't seem like you've taken any of it.
You started with an entertainment warehouse, lawn care, beach rentals, T-shirts, solar bag, and now something with pets.
Everyone gave you the advice to start with one idea and execute. I think you need to stop chasing money. If you have UNSCRIPTED try reading it again.

Stop chasing money and start adding VALUE. People break into saturated markets all the time, but it's not with a poorly produced Facebook advertisement.

Getting a sales job could help you too. It might help you to understand why people buy.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
So this is the first time I've read this thread and OMG it is a clusterfuck. It's been 9 months and you have gotten nowhere. It's not due to lack of trying, it's due to lack of any direction. Why can't you try one thing and stick to it. What's with all these other posts about books and videos and seeing the next shiny object. You know that if you only mowed lawns, you'd probably have a decent list of weekly clients by now.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
@biophase has given you a reality check but I think you are still in fairyland. Buyers like you are the kind that suppliers on Alibaba and similar sites dream about.

Do you know how to screen in your B2B site searches? Can you tell the difference between manufacturers and traders? (They all say they are manufacturers.) Do you know anything about shipping? For example, the difference between FOB, EXW, CFR, CPT, CIF. Will you ship via air courier, air freight, or sea freight? Will your supplier prepay freight? Do you intend shipping direct to FBA? Do you know what little protection the various buyer protection schemes actually provide?

You need to spend some more time learning: 1. Market research, and 2. Calculating exact costs rather than flying by the seat of your pants.

You seem to think you have a business plan, but all I see is wishful thinking.

It's a big read, but I suggest you have a look at my AMA GOLD Sharing my lifetime experience in export/import. Product sourcing specialist.

I wish you all the best, but your approach concerns me.

Walter

Waspy

Float like a butterfly
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Dec 6, 2016
U.K.
sparechange said:
i have a few business plans that i will be executing in the spring/summertime (maybe winter time to)

Execute today!

Run into 2017, don't make your start line halfway through the year.

Good luck!

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
ill have to get an instagram (need a phone) and have a physical presence in the community, thinking to organize some type of show/event related to the petworld. believe my efforts would be more efficient in the real world.

moving within the next few weeks so when im done that ill come up with something

Go donate the bed to a local rescue or shelter. Stop trying to use FB ads to sell it. You are just wasting money.

Last night I was trying to buy 2 23" monitors. I can find them online from a reputable store for $99 each shipped. I go on craigslist and people are asking $90 for a used one. WTF. Why would I buy from you?

1) I have to drive to meet you, I don't know if it works can we plug it in somewhere? If so now I have to bring a laptop to plug it in, I have to look for dead pixels. Then fork over $90 cash.

or

2) Click a button, the NEW monitor shows up tomorrow at my house, pay with credit card, get 2% cashback, can return if it breaks... and spend $8 more

You have no value proposition so you aren't getting any sales.

If you can't sell at $10, you should toss it.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
even though I'm not free yet, the belief in myself that I can do it is through the roof having been the process of importing my own product, marketing, selling it, building & buying traffic etc.

A small fish in a big sea........

"even though I'm not free yet"

This is wantrepreneur mentality -- the suggestion that you'll be "free": have all this money, and never have to work again.

End of the day, all that matters are numbers.

You learned stuff. You're on the right track. Now put up numbers.

Don't imagine yourself being "free" until you're actually free. Imaging yourself in a position of success when you're not there yet is often times incredibly detrimental.

To restate my point: don't be satisfied until you win, there's a lot of roadblocks ahead and bumps in the road that you're unaware of, get ready to go through them.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Word on the block is my 2 year anniversary is coming up shortly.........

Sad to say I am not anywhere close to as ''successful'' as planned out, ha! I cant say plans generally, well goto plan.

Reviewing with a friend of mine our goals and talking to each other the reasons for our failures. Another friend of mine has 0 interest in engaging with the discussion. Nice!

To be quite honest the past ? 3 ? years of my life have been a major struggle of poverty. Hilarious considering I have mostly been working full time.

I'll write a full description sometime in the future..leaving out some bits.

In the tail end of 2015 I moved out from my parents & got a crappy job for minium wage washing cars in January of '16. Fast forward about a year I got fired in December, my life literally revolved around going to work, paying rent and barely feeding myself. Sometimes I wouldn't even eat because I had $0...Literally I've been there.

Discovered TMF in November of 2016 and began my action faking plan. Dont think I need to go into detail if you have been following this thread from the beginning.

2017 came around and I got a really cool job working at a ski resort, kinda put my life ''on hold'' and had 4 of the best months of my life.

Summer came around and I launched my ''second business'' the original being shoveling snow knocking on doors making some side cash....which led me into landscaping mimicking the same strategy.

Didn't make all the billions of dollars as expected although hey, I worked quite hard on it although could of come up with a more efficient system. Anyways savings were getting low so I went to get a job doing laboring for a construction company.

Tail end of 2017 was quite rough and needed to get away so managed to move to Calgary in December.

Start of 2018 was a complete nightmare and couldn't find a job for about 3 months, yet again being broke as shit was no fun. Ended up finding a crap job and saved up enough money to start importing products from Alibaba. Basically dumped all of my money into this along with a little bit of degenerate gambling (still sitting on some inventory)

And yet again for 2018 in the tail end I'm still in the broke as shit category.

On the + side I do have a ''business'' although hasn't scaled as quickly as imagined. Simply I need a better product to sum it up.

Considering making another thread or continuing here, my whole back story is rooted in this thread so believe it would be nice to continue here although at the same time it is quite cluttered. (suggestions welcome)

Leaving out some bits of my story as they are more personal

Plans for '19 are to increase my sales, along with the addition of new products and finally reach this ***** 100k mark.

If I'm to continue the past over again it is literally a cycle of barely getting by and being exhausted from working all day while having some time off to work even more on my own business & barely pay my bills.

And TBH I'd rather not as my mental health from grinding it out is super low.

*** Sorry for the long post, wasn't that long when I had it in my head ***

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
i want to build a small business in landscaping/residential property upkeep, do all the hustle myself > acquire customers > then hire people to do all the physical labour for me and branch out (build repeat customers)

This is a good idea, and is a system that you will need to build. As @Fox and @RHL are talking about above.

Acquiring customers is the name of the game in any business. Hiring physical labor is the easy part. You need to become an expert in acquiring customers. Come up with your marketing strategy and stick to it until you make it work. Don't try and learn multiple marketing channels at once, because you'll probably fail at them all if you do.

One of my first businesses was a snow-plow business that I sub-contracted out the work. I billed clients on a monthly basis, and I had a deal to pay the Subs weekly or monthly, as long as they cleared out the snow every time there was more than 2-inches on the ground. It was small, but very profitable, and I was able to run it from Texas.

Landscaping is high competition, look at other services as well. Power washing, carpet cleaning, etc. There are lots of options out there.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
alright, this will be a fun goal to achieve, i recently did my first ever entrepreneurial startup with $0 (got a shovel and made $57 in a few hours work clearing snow, its completely alien to me to make money from nothing..i was brainwashed to get jobs and be an employee...anyways i just wanted to make this thread for my dream of making $100k and tracking it every once in a while

i have a few business plans that i will be executing in the spring/summertime (maybe winter time to) and believe i can achieve this magic number...ive been broke all my life, ''rich'' to me was holding a few grand in my hand...will be really nice to hold $100k, ill prolly take a bath in it and go swimming, until then..im just at $55 net so far, guilty of spending $2 for a hot chocolate and peanut butter bar so theres $99.945 to go..there will be multiple streams of income so if i can get some to take off i can hire people to do the work for me whilst i work on other things/enjoy my life...

good luck to everyone on theyre journey to freedom...

[work hard & make people HAPPY] ''some guy in a red ferrari f430''

With nothing actionable here to speak of my question is this...

Why didn't you just say you were going to make 40 trillion this year?

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas

Focus on the ONE business that is most likely to achieve your goals. Most people can't start one successful business let alone several at the same time.

Don't feel guilty spending $2: saving $2 on a coffee per day will NEVER make you rich.

Remember, when you "make" your first $100k - it won't actually be $100k. You'll use that to live on, and then 30% of that will be taxed, etc. Honestly, $100k isn't that much money to me any more, and when you get there you'll see why. Aim higher.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.