The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

100 Unsexy Business Ideas: Name as many as you can!

P789

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Sep 23, 2020
Legazpi, Philippines
Another one that is common to the Furry fandom:

Fursuit Making

For those who don’t know about the fursuit, it is a custom suit where people with fursonas (Furries) commission makers for more than $1,000. This is where the fursona of a person becomes reality. Recently, one of it is valued at $50,000 in one bid.

ce20c10c9688609f039087a97491b8325b42df3c_hq.jpg

It can be slowlane or fastlane depending on number of commissioners and the level of execution of this idea.

But the problem with it is that anyone can make their own fursuits because of YT Tutorials as well as it is a small to medium niche.

Edit: Changed the image

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Thoelt53

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Dec 8, 2016
Boston, MA
Another one that is common to the Furry fandom:

Fursuit Making

For those who don’t know about the fursuit, it is a custom suit common to the Furry fandom where people with fursonas (Furries) commission makers for more than $1,000. This is where the fursona of a person becomes reality. Recently, one of it is valued at $50,000 in one bid.

It can be slowlane or fastlane depending on number of commissioners and the level of execution of this idea.

But the problem with it is that anyone can make their own fursuits becuase of YT Tutorials.

images
People are F*ckin weird man.

Balkins

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Jun 18, 2016
The way I had it explained to me was that the angle for growth was concrete and construction.

First you're filling holes in the lots you stripe , then bidding for sidewalk construction.

Definitely unsexy but you can start for a few hundred dollars.
I know a guy who does nothing but driveways. Who specializes in repairing asphalt driveways. He knows the money is in doing new driveway but in the meantime... he's booked solid months ahead. And guess what... when the time comes to build the new driveway who do you think gets the job???

fridge

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
Jun 4, 2020
USA
Not sure if this one was mentioned yet, but Christmas lights seem very profitable. About to go into my first year of hanging lights and my minimum is $700 to start with. I'd imagine if you could get a decent sized crew together, you could sell over $100k+ worth of lights and labor from October-December.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Not sure if this one was mentioned yet, but Christmas lights seem very profitable. About to go into my first year of hanging lights and my minimum is $700 to start with. I'd imagine if you could get a decent sized crew together, you could sell over $100k+ worth of lights and labor from October-December.
Are you buying lights retail, wholesale, or import?

fridge

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
Jun 4, 2020
USA
Are you buying lights retail, wholesale, or import?
For now since I'm just starting and will only be doing 5-15 houses this year, I just went with lights from christmaslightsetc. Comes out to a little over $1.10 a bulb for C9 lights, with everything else (clips, spool, plugs, handmade extension cords) my cost is likely going to be around $1.80-$2.30 a bulb after these accessories. I'll be charging the customer $7 a bulb my first year with a $700 minimum and then bumping up to $9 a bulb my second year with a $900 minimum. Nice thing is with most Christmas light business models, you technically own the lights and the customer is just leasing them, so every year after the first year of buying the lights is straight profit from labor if the customer is repeat.

Last edited:

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Any unsexy business ideas for 2022?
Same as last year... and the year before... and then there was the year before that...

The basics are the same. I know, I know. With the net, there's just a chance of a bigger audience -- that translates into bigger possible rewards.

I've worked just about every day since I was 11 years old. I'm still doing the same old stuff as I did then when I was a lot shorter and considerably younger. Oh, the current services I provide and the rewards I receive are different from those days. BUT I still go out and talk to everyone I can find. I try to connect with them -- renew or make a new friend. Then, if possible, I ask them if we can do business together. If they say no, I ask them to refer someone to me who needs my services. My businesses may not be sexy, but I have a bunch of clients, tenants, and friends who feel warm and fuzzy about them and me...

matduans

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
Dec 30, 2021
malaysia
Something that cannot be stressed enough on the Fastlane forum is that people would be better off pursuing businesses in UNSEXY industries. Industries that FEW people are talking about because they are boring, unpopular, or possibly even unlikely to be discussed among the general public, and etc..

This is a good thing.

Many entrepeneurs don't want to run an UNSEXY business!!!!!!!

Nobody wants to run a fish cannery in the middle of the alaskan wilderness. Most aspiring entrepreneurs don't dream about collecting debt from strangers over the phone. And they definitely don't want to become chimney cleaners.

Again... this is actually a very very good thing. For the chimney cleaner, the cannery owner, and the debt collector who ignored every other entrepreneurs advise and did the exact opposite of Amazon FBA, Dropshipping, and Upwork Freelancing. Not everything has to be an online business you guys!

Why spend thousands of dollars marketing your oversaturated supplement in an extremely difficult market where every other personal trainer is selling the same thing that nobody will remember in 10 years? Especially if you can just open up a slaughterhouse and master the process and have customers come to you after barely even marketing your business in the last 5 years.

It may be gross and disgusting to witness animals being butchered up into pieces. But it's not your fault that the majority of people like eating animals. It's also not difficult to persuade someone to buy something if he already knows he needs it.

THIS IS WHY WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT UNSEXY BUSINESSES MORE OFTEN. BY CREATING THIS THREAD WHAT I AM DOING IS BUILDING AN ECHO CHAMBER WHERE WE CAN BRAINSTORM AND DISCUSS AS MANY UNSEXY BUSINESS IDEAS AS WE CAN POSSIBLY THINK OF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you don't have a business idea yet I want you to be mumbling the words, "think UNSEXY" until you find it.

In fact, I'll even give you a list of 100 random UNSEXY business ideas that may or may not interest you:

- Agricultural/Fish&Livestock related:
1. Bamboo Nursery
2. Mushroom Cultivation ( this is my current niche. In january I started a small farm in my basement. there is little competition but a very high barrier of entry)
3. Garlic Farming
4. Beekeeping
5. Spice Production
6. Deep Sea Crab Fishing
7. Worm Farming
8. Lavender Farming
9. Tree Seed Supply
10. Seafood Cannery
11. Wool Production
12. Fish Farming
13. Cricket Farming
14. Nut Processing
15. Exotic Animal Breeding/Trading
16. Pineapple Plantation
17. Truffle Tree Planting
18. Agricultural Vehicles (such as Tractors )
19. Rubber Plantation
20. Pig Farming
21. Carrot Cultivation
22. Cattle Ranch
23. Slaughterhouse
24. Palm Oil Plantation
25. Sugar Cane Plantation
26. Dairy Farm
27. Onion Farming
28. Florist Business
29. Livestock Feed Production
30. Flour Milling

-Blue Collar Trades, Manual Labor & Manufacturing:
31. Construction Business
32. Plumbing Business
33. Electrician Business
34. HVAC Business
35. Waste Management
36. Garbarge Collection
37. Manure/Fertilizer manufacturing plant
38. Auto Glass Repair Shop
39. Auto Body Repair Shop
40. Laundry detergent/Cleaning chemical manufacturing
41. Medical Equipment (wheel chairs, hospital beds...)
42. Recycling Industry
43. Scrap yard
44. Pest Control
45. Painting Company
46. Landscaping
47. Chimney Cleaning
48. Carpet Cleaning
49. Crime Scene Cleanup
50. Graffiti Removal
51. Mining Industry
52. Any other type of natural resource extraction
53. Lawn Care
54. The RV Industry
55. Machine Shop
56. Aluminum Door Window Fabrication
57. Candle Making
58. Ginger Oil Manufacturing
59. Iodized Salt Manufacturing
60. Noodles Manufacturing
61. Rubber Band Manufacturing
62. Bread Making
63. Disposable paper plates/plastic cups manufacturing
64. Baking Powder Manufacturing
65. Woodworking
66. Granite Counter-top Installation Business
67. Cabinet Manufacturing

- RANDOM MISCELLANEOUS:
68. Debt Collection
69. Vending Machines
70. Blood/Sperm/Hair/Sperm other legal body part donation center
71. Self Storage Units
72. Hair Wig making
73. Head Lice Removal
74. The Funeral Industry
75. Acne Reduction Creams
76. Security Guard Service
77. English Teaching Abroad Agency
78. Drivers Ed School
79. Pawn Shop?? Maybe Payday Lending??
80. Pet food; not necessarily for dogs but also other pets such as Parrots, Turtles, and Hamsters...
81. Foreskin Restoration Devices; I dare you to google this
82. Porta-Potty Rental
83. Sex Doll Brothel; I threw up in my mouth a little bit but there are a lot of lonely guys out there.
84. Airplane Repossession
85. Accounting Firm
86. Insurance Agency
87. Power Washing
88. Caring for the elderly; people are getting older.
89. Wholesale Distributor
90. Medical Transcription Services
91. Biotechnology Lab
92. Personal Assistant
93. Other types of cleaning business/janitorial services
94. Concrete Pouring
95. Bricklaying
96. Franchising
97. Healthcare Industry
98. Anything I didn't already mention that was on Mike Rowe's "Dirty Jobs"
99. If you are in a business with high barrier of entry you could offer consultation for a big price!
100. Selling "shovels" (accessories, equipment, add-ons, extensions, necessary components) to any industry that's ever existed including the ones I just listed.

Don't you understand...??? An UNSEXY business idea is not necessarily an ugly duckling. It doesn't matter what people think about her right now. She could become a beautiful swan if you feed and nurture her properly!!!! Don't be ashamed if people find out you own a slaughterhouse!!!!!!
Disclaimer: I am not saying that each and every single business idea will work for you. It's going to depend on multiple factors such as your personality, work ethic, the individual niche you are choosing and etc..Maybe none of them are for you and that's fine. I am also not an expert on most of these ideas. So you might want to do some research if you find one of these ideas worth executing. But that's not the point of this thread. My aim is to encourage other aspiring entrepreneurs to pursue UNSEXY business ideas!

So what are some of your UNSEXY business

matduans

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
Dec 30, 2021
malaysia
what if do total house cleaning service? i just think most people home full of stuff they dont use. what if we throw away all their old stuff like old cloth, books, medals, toys etc & make their house clean & minimalist. bcs i used to keep a lot of things & fell guilty to throw it away. i think most of use keep things bcs we might "use" them somewhere in the future. but the truth is most likely we wont. but after i remove those stuff, i dont really miss them anymore. i actually forget them overtime.

Boogie

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Nov 27, 2014
Midwest, USA
what if do total house cleaning service? i just think most people home full of stuff they dont use. what if we throw away all their old stuff like old cloth, books, medals, toys etc & make their house clean & minimalist. bcs i used to keep a lot of things & fell guilty to throw it away. i think most of use keep things bcs we might "use" them somewhere in the future. but the truth is most likely we wont. but after i remove those stuff, i dont really miss them anymore. i actually forget them overtime.

I prefer to sell or donate stuff rather than throw it away. Trash goes straight to a landfill.

With some marketing and maybe a bit of woo woo, you can build an entire business around cleaning out people's stuff.

Marie Kondo built a business around a bunch of spiritual woo and asking if something sparks joy for the owner and then removing it from the house if not. It's a de-cluttering business with a bit of spiritual stuff in the middle to make it marketable and higher paying.

Last edited:

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
I think you are more talking about an organizer rather than a house cleaner. The cleaning comes after the extra stuff is removed so you can see the space and the bottom of the piles.

matduans

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
Dec 30, 2021
malaysia
I prefer to sell or donate stuff rather than throw it away. Trash goes straight to a landfill.

With some marketing and maybe a bit of woo woo, you can build an entire business around cleaning out people's stuff.

Marie Kondo built a business around a bunch of spiritual woo and asking if something sparks joy for the owner and then removing it from the house if not. It's a de-cluttering business with a bit of spiritual stuff in the middle to make it marketable and higher paying.

wow interesting concept

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
This is only for people who own or have access to a parcel of land suitable for grazing on the outskirts of a small or large city.

Ideally it should be located in an area where city people have bought hobby farms.

Our family had a cattle stud breeding property about 100 miles from a big city. The stud breeding was more of a hobby than a business, and we had highly productive land, so what could we do to generate more income?

The answer was to have an agent buy weaner bulls for us at a distant big selling center, and send them to us in trailer loads. When they arrived, we worked as a team (including our daughter) and castrated the lot using a very sharp knife. On one occasion we neutered 58 bulls in a day. By the end of the day our dogs were rolling their eyes when we threw them the sweetbreads.

Surrounded by hobby farms operated by wealthy city business people we had a ready market for what were now weaner steers. Steers were worth a lot more money that entire bulls. They were all sold once the cut healed and our youngest son who was appointed manager for this project banked good profits.

He branched out into buying weaner bulls at local saleyards, and advertising in a rural newspaper that had a big readership among hobby farners. He got an order for 20 steers from an outer suburban city resident, who turned up with a rented furniture removal pantechnicon! He pulled out a roll of banknotes that would have choked a horse and after he handed over the cash we loaded the animals.

That was the one and only suburban sale we made.

Walter
P.S. I hope the rental company had suitable insurance.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
This is only for people who own or have access to a parcel of land suitable for grazing on the outskirts of a small or large city.

Ideally it should be located in an area where city people have bought hobby farms.

Our family had a cattle stud breeding property about 100 miles from a big city. The stud breeding was more of a hobby than a business, and we had highly productive land, so what could we do to generate more income?

The answer was to have an agent buy weaner bulls for us at a distant big selling center, and send them to us in trailer loads. When they arrived, we worked as a team (including our daughter) and castrated the lot using a very sharp knife. On one occasion we neutered 58 bulls in a day. By the end of the day our dogs were rolling their eyes when we threw them the sweetbreads.

Surrounded by hobby farms operated by wealthy city business people we had a ready market for what were now weaner steers. Steers were worth a lot more money that entire bulls. They were all sold once the cut healed and our youngest son who was appointed manager for this project banked good profits.

He branched out into buying weaner bulls at local saleyards, and advertising in a rural newspaper that had a big readership among hobby farners. He got an order for 20 steers from an outer suburban city resident, who turned up with a rented furniture removal pantechnicon! He pulled out a roll of banknotes that would have choked a horse and after he handed over the cash we loaded the animals.

That was the one and only suburban sale we made.

Walter
P.S. I hope the rental company had suitable insurance.
This brings back memories. We went to visit my paternal grandma one summer. She had married a hog trader. And that man had hog feed yards on 3 sides of the house. It rained 28 days out of 30 that year. So, every afternoon we went to town to escape the stench.

glai7159

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 18, 2022
I've been contemplating ideas for the elderly care space for a while now. And every idea I come up with ends with the same conclusion, Where the hell does the money come from?

For example: Dementia and Alzheimer caregivers give over 470 billion dollars a year in unpaid aid to loved ones who remain at home due to the outrageous costs of nursing homes and care centers.

• At $470 billion in 2013, the value of unpaid caregiving exceeded the value of paid home care and total Medicaid spending in the same year, and nearly matched the value of the sales of the world’s largest company, Wal-Mart ($477 billion). [AARP Public Policy Institute. (2015). Valuing the Invaluable: 2015 Update.]

If you really would like to change the world this is one way to do it. I was thinking of a way that medicaid/care could be subsidized and used to pay your friends and family for taking care of you, Or a home-care app that allows you to find trained "freelance" caregivers(but that comes with many problems of course, Especially vetting).

If anyone would has any ideas HMU, Or take this idea, but you better use it and change the world because a lot of people need help and with humans living longer alzheimers care is really going to begin taking an unprecedented toll on productivity and QOL in about 30 years.
So @Sagemoney, what happened with this idea? I help a lot of health tech entrepreneurs and I'd like to know if you guys went ahead. Esp cos they're talking about supplementing the dwindling supply of aged care workers with paid relative carers.

glai7159

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 18, 2022
I've been contemplating ideas for the elderly care space for a while now. And every idea I come up with ends with the same conclusion, Where the hell does the money come from?

For example: Dementia and Alzheimer caregivers give over 470 billion dollars a year in unpaid aid to loved ones who remain at home due to the outrageous costs of nursing homes and care centers.

• At $470 billion in 2013, the value of unpaid caregiving exceeded the value of paid home care and total Medicaid spending in the same year, and nearly matched the value of the sales of the world’s largest company, Wal-Mart ($477 billion). [AARP Public Policy Institute. (2015). Valuing the Invaluable: 2015 Update.]

If you really would like to change the world this is one way to do it. I was thinking of a way that medicaid/care could be subsidized and used to pay your friends and family for taking care of you, Or a home-care app that allows you to find trained "freelance" caregivers(but that comes with many problems of course, Especially vetting).

If anyone would has any ideas HMU, Or take this idea, but you better use it and change the world because a lot of people need help and with humans living longer alzheimers care is really going to begin taking an unprecedented toll on productivity and QOL in about 30 years.
So @Sagemoney, what happened with this idea? I help a lot of health tech entrepreneurs and I'd like to know if you guys went ahead. Esp cos they're talking about supplementing the dwindling supply of aged care workers with paid relative carers

Bbenn30

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Jan 24, 2022
Something that cannot be stressed enough on the Fastlane forum is that people would be better off pursuing businesses in UNSEXY industries. Industries that FEW people are talking about because they are boring, unpopular, or possibly even unlikely to be discussed among the general public, and etc..

This is a good thing.

Many entrepeneurs don't want to run an UNSEXY business!!!!!!!

Nobody wants to run a fish cannery in the middle of the alaskan wilderness. Most aspiring entrepreneurs don't dream about collecting debt from strangers over the phone. And they definitely don't want to become chimney cleaners.

Again... this is actually a very very good thing. For the chimney cleaner, the cannery owner, and the debt collector who ignored every other entrepreneurs advise and did the exact opposite of Amazon FBA, Dropshipping, and Upwork Freelancing. Not everything has to be an online business you guys!

Why spend thousands of dollars marketing your oversaturated supplement in an extremely difficult market where every other personal trainer is selling the same thing that nobody will remember in 10 years? Especially if you can just open up a slaughterhouse and master the process and have customers come to you after barely even marketing your business in the last 5 years.

It may be gross and disgusting to witness animals being butchered up into pieces. But it's not your fault that the majority of people like eating animals. It's also not difficult to persuade someone to buy something if he already knows he needs it.

THIS IS WHY WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT UNSEXY BUSINESSES MORE OFTEN. BY CREATING THIS THREAD WHAT I AM DOING IS BUILDING AN ECHO CHAMBER WHERE WE CAN BRAINSTORM AND DISCUSS AS MANY UNSEXY BUSINESS IDEAS AS WE CAN POSSIBLY THINK OF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you don't have a business idea yet I want you to be mumbling the words, "think UNSEXY" until you find it.

In fact, I'll even give you a list of 100 random UNSEXY business ideas that may or may not interest you:

- Agricultural/Fish&Livestock related:
1. Bamboo Nursery
2. Mushroom Cultivation ( this is my current niche. In january I started a small farm in my basement. there is little competition but a very high barrier of entry)
3. Garlic Farming
4. Beekeeping
5. Spice Production
6. Deep Sea Crab Fishing
7. Worm Farming
8. Lavender Farming
9. Tree Seed Supply
10. Seafood Cannery
11. Wool Production
12. Fish Farming
13. Cricket Farming
14. Nut Processing
15. Exotic Animal Breeding/Trading
16. Pineapple Plantation
17. Truffle Tree Planting
18. Agricultural Vehicles (such as Tractors )
19. Rubber Plantation
20. Pig Farming
21. Carrot Cultivation
22. Cattle Ranch
23. Slaughterhouse
24. Palm Oil Plantation
25. Sugar Cane Plantation
26. Dairy Farm
27. Onion Farming
28. Florist Business
29. Livestock Feed Production
30. Flour Milling

-Blue Collar Trades, Manual Labor & Manufacturing:
31. Construction Business
32. Plumbing Business
33. Electrician Business
34. HVAC Business
35. Waste Management
36. Garbarge Collection
37. Manure/Fertilizer manufacturing plant
38. Auto Glass Repair Shop
39. Auto Body Repair Shop
40. Laundry detergent/Cleaning chemical manufacturing
41. Medical Equipment (wheel chairs, hospital beds...)
42. Recycling Industry
43. Scrap yard
44. Pest Control
45. Painting Company
46. Landscaping
47. Chimney Cleaning
48. Carpet Cleaning
49. Crime Scene Cleanup
50. Graffiti Removal
51. Mining Industry
52. Any other type of natural resource extraction
53. Lawn Care
54. The RV Industry
55. Machine Shop
56. Aluminum Door Window Fabrication
57. Candle Making
58. Ginger Oil Manufacturing
59. Iodized Salt Manufacturing
60. Noodles Manufacturing
61. Rubber Band Manufacturing
62. Bread Making
63. Disposable paper plates/plastic cups manufacturing
64. Baking Powder Manufacturing
65. Woodworking
66. Granite Counter-top Installation Business
67. Cabinet Manufacturing

- RANDOM MISCELLANEOUS:
68. Debt Collection
69. Vending Machines
70. Blood/Sperm/Hair/Sperm other legal body part donation center
71. Self Storage Units
72. Hair Wig making
73. Head Lice Removal
74. The Funeral Industry
75. Acne Reduction Creams
76. Security Guard Service
77. English Teaching Abroad Agency
78. Drivers Ed School
79. Pawn Shop?? Maybe Payday Lending??
80. Pet food; not necessarily for dogs but also other pets such as Parrots, Turtles, and Hamsters...
81. Foreskin Restoration Devices; I dare you to google this
82. Porta-Potty Rental
83. Sex Doll Brothel; I threw up in my mouth a little bit but there are a lot of lonely guys out there.
84. Airplane Repossession
85. Accounting Firm
86. Insurance Agency
87. Power Washing
88. Caring for the elderly; people are getting older.
89. Wholesale Distributor
90. Medical Transcription Services
91. Biotechnology Lab
92. Personal Assistant
93. Other types of cleaning business/janitorial services
94. Concrete Pouring
95. Bricklaying
96. Franchising
97. Healthcare Industry
98. Anything I didn't already mention that was on Mike Rowe's "Dirty Jobs"
99. If you are in a business with high barrier of entry you could offer consultation for a big price!
100. Selling "shovels" (accessories, equipment, add-ons, extensions, necessary components) to any industry that's ever existed including the ones I just listed.

Don't you understand...??? An UNSEXY business idea is not necessarily an ugly duckling. It doesn't matter what people think about her right now. She could become a beautiful swan if you feed and nurture her properly!!!! Don't be ashamed if people find out you own a slaughterhouse!!!!!!
Disclaimer: I am not saying that each and every single business idea will work for you. It's going to depend on multiple factors such as your personality, work ethic, the individual niche you are choosing and etc..Maybe none of them are for you and that's fine. I am also not an expert on most of these ideas. So you might want to do some research if you find one of these ideas worth executing. But that's not the point of this thread. My aim is to encourage other aspiring entrepreneurs to pursue UNSEXY business ideas!

So what are some of your UNSEXY business ideas??
I needed a pallet of goods shipped to me. The cost to ship to my home was nearly double shipping to a commercial business. It made me think a business where people have good shipped to your location. A commercial place with a loading dock/pallet jack/ forklift. Maybe a small warehouse for storing those items as well. Just charge a fee for receiving them items. It could be profitable I think

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I don't remember seeing this in the thread, but someone offered it on Facebook this morning...

House demolition/cleanup.

I saw prices ranging from like $14k to $35k per demo depending on several factors like location, type of building, size, how much demo is involved, haul off etc.

You'd probably need an excavator, so there's definitely some upfront investment, but you could get a pre-owned one for a few thousand bucks probably. Or borrow/rent one.

If anyone has done this, I'd be curious to learn more about your experience. What was it like? Was it worth it? Was there enough of a market for it?

House CLeaning.jpg

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
I don't remember seeing this in the thread, but someone offered it on Facebook this morning...

I saw prices ranging from like $14k to $35k per demo depending on several factors like location, type of building, size, how much demo is involved, haul off etc.

You'd probably need an excavator, so there's definitely some upfront investment, but you could get a pre-owned one for a few thousand bucks probably. Or borrow/rent one.

If anyone has done this, I'd be curious to learn more about your experience. What was it like? Was it worth it? Was there enough of a market for it?

View attachment 42828
I've done a lot of this type of work over the years as part of the rehab process. Yes, you can make a business out of it. I have a guy that moves mobile homes and buildings. He now has a lot on the highway where he sells those buildings and charges to move them to where the buyer needs them. He's a master at moving stuff and has all the equipment to do that work.

Make sure that you have a good contract for the client to sign which limits your liability. Take lots of pics as you go. You may also need a CDL and a state license in order to operate. It's a dirty hands-on business. You'll also need trucks -- you must haul your equipment and trucks to haul the junk. Part of your engagement contract should include who owns the junk and how to deal with any hazardous waste or health issues. We have found some real gems in some of the junk we've found on some of the sites.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

View attachment 42828
it's a real business and it can be as tiny or giant of a company as you want. I wouldn't even mess with starting a small one though like demoing a bathroom, I would go straight to demoing larger projects with machinery and equipment, because it makes it actually worth doing financially.

You could go all the way up to demolishing skyscrapers and warehouses with wrecking balls and explosive charges.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
it's a real business and it can be as tiny or giant of a company as you want. I wouldn't even mess with starting a small one though like demoing a bathroom, I would go straight to demoing larger projects with machinery and equipment, because it makes it actually worth doing financially.

You could go all the way up to demolishing skyscrapers and warehouses with wrecking balls and explosive charges.

Wrecking balls and explosives! Now you're speaking my language! :playful:

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Sounds like you'd enjoy being the leader of these guys:

images

What a cool business! Never would've thought of this.

I Googled "Residential Demolition" and absolutely nothing shows up in my area. Am I Googling the wrong term? What would you search to find this service?

I searched for "Residential Cleaning" but that mostly returned maid services. Maybe residential/commercial cleaning could be a service, but I doubt Molly Maids is blowing up buildings.

Do construction companies usually offer this? They should be used to hauling off crap from job sites.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

I Googled "Residential Demolition" and absolutely nothing shows up in my area. Am I Googling the wrong term? What would you search to find this service?

I searched for "Residential Cleaning" but that mostly returned maid services. Maybe residential/commercial cleaning could be a service, but I doubt Molly Maids is blowing up buildings.

Do construction companies usually offer this? They should be used to hauling off crap from job sites.
I would look up demolition contractors. Usually the word “contractor” makes you think of an individual person but it can mean a large company working for another company. Think how profitable government contractors are.

Yup, this is one of those boring businesses that can make someone totally rich.

Bbenn30

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Jan 24, 2022

I googled residential demolition and had 10 options pop up. I'm in a very rural part of Colorado though, not sure if having rednecks with lots of equipment is the reason for all the options.

Other thing I thought about with this is you'd have to pre inspect for asbestos and other contaminants before hand. I'm sure the EPA or at the very least the dept. of health would have something to say about you letting out a lot of dust contaminated with asbestos.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Other thing I thought about with this is you'd have to pre inspect for asbestos and other contaminants before hand. I'm sure the EPA or at the very least the dept. of health would have something to say about you letting out a lot of dust contaminated with asbestos.

I looked in a bigger city near here and found one company that does demolition and part of their services include asbestos removal. I wonder what you'd need to know for that part. Maybe some kind of OSHA course or something.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.