The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

1-1 Coaching Available

D

Deleted50669

All, I've decided to start a coaching business, and if you'd like some 1-1 coaching please reach out. My approach is inquiry-based (socratic method). As I am in the early stages, I am offering this opportunity at an extremely low rate (and no, this is not me buttering you up for a post-sale, I genuinely just want help people improve while continuing to hone my craft). I have prior experience successfully coaching a few executives as well as a few millennials. Am available for phone or video coaching. With that, I'm here if you're interested.

- Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

KLaw

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 4, 2012
ohio
All, I've decided to start a coaching business, and if you'd like some 1-1 coaching please reach out. My approach is inquiry-based (socratic method). As I am in the early stages, I am offering this opportunity at an extremely low rate (and no, this is not me buttering you up for a post-sale, I genuinely just want help people improve while continuing to hone my craft). I have prior experience successfully coaching a few executives as well as a few millennials. Am available for phone or video coaching. With that, I'm here if you're interested.

- Cheers

That's all you got. Not much of a sales pitch. Zero details of your experiences.

D

Deleted50669

That's all you got. Not much of a sales pitch. Zero details of your experiences.

To your point, I hold a masters in organizational psychology and have been through a 6-month leadership coaching certification program. I have 74 hours of leadership coaching in my log with clients in the non-profit and private sector.

KLaw

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 4, 2012
ohio
To your point, I hold a masters in organizational psychology and have been through a 6-month leadership coaching certification program. I have 74 hours of leadership coaching in my log with clients in the non-profit and private sector.

Still weak. What benefits did they receive and successes achieved through your coaching?

D

Deleted50669

Still weak. What benefits did they receive and successes achieved through your coaching?

They clarified the personal challenges getting in the way of their career goals and developed a plan to gain the appropriate mindsets, skills, and practice to overcome them. In one scenario, a vice president had frequent disputes with her board, and I coached her around becoming less emotionally reactive to criticism. In another instance, I coached a new manager to build his delegation skills.

I appreciate you pushing me to consider these pieces. I see how a client would be left in the dark without those elements. Thank you.

D

Deleted50669

What is in it for me?

At a high level, a source of personal accountability and objective feedback. In any area you plan to improve, my role would be to bring new awareness around any blindspots or frustrations holding you back. Unlike consulting, which is the practice of problem solving through recommendations rooted in the consultant's expertise, a coach will ask the right questions to facilitate critical thinking and discovery in the client about what an ideal future looks like, and what must be done to attain it. It is an inquiry-driven process where the client continues to learn about them-self.

KLaw

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 4, 2012
ohio
They clarified the personal challenges getting in the way of their career goals and developed a plan to gain the appropriate mindsets, skills, and practice to overcome them. In one scenario, a vice president had frequent disputes with her board, and I coached her around becoming less emotionally reactive to criticism. In another instance, I coached a new manager to build his delegation skills.

I appreciate you pushing me to consider these pieces. I see how a client would be left in the dark without those elements. Thank you.

Still weak though. Numbers and data my friend. How did they improve financially or quality of life? Support your answers w before and after data. That will get you, at least, some credibility.

D

Deleted50669

Still weak though. Numbers and data my friend. How did they improve financially or quality of life? Support your answers w before and after data. That will get you, at least, some credibility.

Last edited by a moderator:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I am offering this opportunity at an extremely low rate

This is considered advertising however since you are getting feedback on your approach, I'm gonna let this ride for now.

eagleye101

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jul 24, 2013
Athens, Greece
Hi @404profound

I am your potential client.
How do I know it?
How do you know it?

Let's say we meet randomly.
What will happen between "Hi, my name is 404profound" and me saying "Here's my money"?

I've been involved in a business working with coaches the previous 6 month trying to help them get clients and the biggest problem was this: despite them being highly qualified in their fields, they couldn't communicate it to their clients correctly. Their approach was similar to yours "If I reduce prices clients will come". Stop doing that, you're waisting everyone's time and you're not making money.

Here's the problem: When you reach certain level of understanding in your field, it's hard to remember how it was when you were in your initial steps. Guess what, your clients are in their inital steps and they will understand only if you speak to them in the language they understand. Otherwise you'll come across as cocky, smartass or know-it-all. The best approach I've seen, is research what people want and create a solution oriented language to speak to them as simple as possible.

Hope this helps

D

Deleted50669

Hi @404profound

I am your potential client.
How do I know it?
How do you know it?

Let's say we meet randomly.
What will happen between "Hi, my name is 404profound" and me saying "Here's my money"?

I've been involved in a business working with coaches the previous 6 month trying to help them get clients and the biggest problem was this: despite them being highly qualified in their fields, they couldn't communicate it to their clients correctly. Their approach was similar to yours "If I reduce prices clients will come". Stop doing that, you're waisting everyone's time and you're not making money.

Here's the problem: When you reach certain level of understanding in your field, it's hard to remember how it was when you were in your initial steps. Guess what, your clients are in their inital steps and they will understand only if you speak to them in the language they understand. Otherwise you'll come across as cocky, smartass or know-it-all. The best approach I've seen, is research what people want and create a solution oriented language to speak to them as simple as possible.

Hope this helps

Thank you, that's very helpful. It's easy to forget that jargon doesn't serve a purpose outside the ivory towers. I will keep your feedback in mind going forward.

sam9530130

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Dec 29, 2016
Canada
Maybe you should help a few people for free (here or somewhere else) so that you have testimonials and a proven track record. Then, if you did an outstanding job, you can get referrals from them. Right now, I don't see any reason why someone would consider working with you. There are so many coaches providing the exact same service you are so you have to bring something amazing to the table if you be able to stand out and build that kind of business.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Based on feedback, maybe you re-present your pitch here.

Elevator speech =

If they say 'tell me more'... =

Your call to action and close =

Joe Cassandra

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
509%
Jul 25, 2013
Woodstock, GA
At a high level, a source of personal accountability and objective feedback. In any area you plan to improve, my role would be to bring new awareness around any blindspots or frustrations holding you back. Unlike consulting, which is the practice of problem solving through recommendations rooted in the consultant's expertise, a coach will ask the right questions to facilitate critical thinking and discovery in the client about what an ideal future looks like, and what must be done to attain it. It is an inquiry-driven process where the client continues to learn about them-self.

This sounds like you're dancing around the 'general' and not getting 'specific'. Most likely because you're afraid of turning people away.

If you want to have this take off, you need a niche. Take it from someone who's self-employed, and I flailed for a year (even after quitting my job) until I found these things:

1) A niche
2) A niche with people who have money
3) A niche with people who have money and value coaching

So...what you need to do is:

1) Find a niche --- "I help 30-somethings stuck in a job to get a 10% raise and a new career"

2) Find a niche with people who have money --- [See above. 30 somethings have money.] BAD NICHE - "I coach college students to do well on their exam" (college students are broke)

3.) Find a niche with people who have money and value coaching: I can't think of a good example of this...but you need to target a niche with people who value outside consulting. For example, you may find doctors don't respect other non-doctor opinions. Or, you find most lawyers are burned out and need guidance to find a new career without taking a huge hit to their earnings

I PROMISE YOU: If you swim around the "oh I help people accomplish their goals" pool and stay 'general'...it'll be a swift few months and you'll join the other 99% of life coaches working at Starbucks.

#REALTALK

Maybe you should help a few people for free (here or somewhere else) so that you have testimonials and a proven track record. Then, if you did an outstanding job, you can get referrals from them. Right now, I don't see any reason why someone would consider working with you. There are so many coaches providing the exact same service you are so you have to bring something amazing to the table if you be able to stand out and build that kind of business.

This would probably be a waste of time. No one takes free advice and goes and implements it. It's why the coaching business and "online course" business do so well.

A recent accounting friend of mine asked me : "Joe, where do you find all the clients for your business." He wanted to know because he wants to fastrack his way to partner in his firm.

I took 3 hours and put together an ebook for him of exact strategies and scripts(I did this so I could share with others too)...and I gave it to him.

Guess what he did after reading it (if he even did).....................*singing* NOTHINGGGGGGGGGGGG!! *end song*

Not to mention, 80% of the people who buy a course end up using ZERO of it anyway.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Nice job on taking feedback constructively.

Here's a strategy I accidentally discovered: trawl the forum and help people there and then.

"Show don't tell" your expertise at XYZ.

Do it well enough so that other people start tagging you when someone gets stuck with XYZ problem.

Do it so you become known as "The XYZ Guy".

Rules of the game:

1) You can't say you're an expert in it. You can only show it.

2) You can't PM people offering help, or ask them to PM you. They have to PM *you* because they liked what you've done and want to know more.

What would you do differently, and how differently would it play out?

Not saying a free offer or a market place ad wouldn't work, just saying...

EDIT: Here's a post I wrote recently (and no, I'm not saying you're spamming):

Last edited:
D

Deleted50669

This sounds like you're dancing around the 'general' and not getting 'specific'. Most likely because you're afraid of turning people away.

If you want to have this take off, you need a niche. Take it from someone who's self-employed, and I flailed for a year (even after quitting my job) until I found these things:

1) A niche
2) A niche with people who have money
3) A niche with people who have money and value coaching

So...what you need to do is:

1) Find a niche --- "I help 30-somethings stuck in a job to get a 10% raise and a new career"

2) Find a niche with people who have money --- [See above. 30 somethings have money.] BAD NICHE - "I coach college students to do well on their exam" (college students are broke)

3.) Find a niche with people who have money and value coaching: I can't think of a good example of this...but you need to target a niche with people who value outside consulting. For example, you may find doctors don't respect other non-doctor opinions. Or, you find most lawyers are burned out and need guidance to find a new career without taking a huge hit to their earnings

I PROMISE YOU: If you swim around the "oh I help people accomplish their goals" pool and stay 'general'...it'll be a swift few months and you'll join the other 99% of life coaches working at Starbucks.

#REALTALK

This would probably be a waste of time. No one takes free advice and goes and implements it. It's why the coaching business and "online course" business do so well.

A recent accounting friend of mine asked me : "Joe, where do you find all the clients for your business." He wanted to know because he wants to fastrack his way to partner in his firm.

I took 3 hours and put together an ebook for him of exact strategies and scripts(I did this so I could share with others too)...and I gave it to him.

Guess what he did after reading it (if he even did).....................*singing* NOTHINGGGGGGGGGGGG!! *end song*

Not to mention, 80% of the people who buy a course end up using ZERO of it anyway.

The moment you realize you don't have holes in your game, because you have no game :l How humbling it is haha

Aaron T

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
345%
Aug 27, 2017
I love the ideas of a good 1:1 and with mentoring. Even posted a thread about what it takes to be a good Mentor. Normally when I get people that ask me for Mentorship or when I do my weekly 1:1 meetings with my employees it is all about them. Their needs, focusing on their objectives. But they have all come to me because they know me and what I can help them with.

I never actually once thought of doing something like this as a business. So what is interesting is that while the constructive feedback is focused on @404profound it is actually very helpful for me too! I don't plan on doing this as a business because for me it is pretty time intensive. I enjoy Mentoring and being Mentored for entirely different reasons. I love the giving. But I think the ideas, the information here could be turned into an idea thread and maybe formed a bit better. That could be useful to many people.

On the other hand the information is probably in a thread somewhere. I am still reading a lot more than posting. I hate being redundant and therefore not giving any value.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
I love the ideas of a good 1:1 and with mentoring. Even posted a thread about what it takes to be a good Mentor. Normally when I get people that ask me for Mentorship or when I do my weekly 1:1 meetings with my employees it is all about them. Their needs, focusing on their objectives. But they have all come to me because they know me and what I can help them with.

I never actually once thought of doing something like this as a business. So what is interesting is that while the constructive feedback is focused on @404profound it is actually very helpful for me too! I don't plan on doing this as a business because for me it is pretty time intensive. I enjoy Mentoring and being Mentored for entirely different reasons. I love the giving. But I think the ideas, the information here could be turned into an idea thread and maybe formed a bit better. That could be useful to many people.

On the other hand the information is probably in a thread somewhere. I am still reading a lot more than posting. I hate being redundant and therefore not giving any value.
You're doing fine.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Really? I thought that was a purposeful game plan.
Actually, in case you're serious (my radar is bad at this) this totally wasn't a purposeful game plan.

I joined the forum in a flurry of posting because I left a forum that was shutdown and took all my posts and unpacked them from my suitcase on arrival. I likely looked like a super spammer when I first arrived.

Then I settled in and just started chatting where I felt it could help. One thing led to another and I do believe it was yours truly who suggested I become a mod.

Huh? Now why did that happen?
(Hint to reader... that was a question to you. How did a newcomer to a forum end up becoming "The XYZ Guy", and what could you do to replicate it?)

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
Actually, in case you're serious (my radar is bad at this) this totally wasn't a purposeful game plan.

I joined the forum in a flurry of posting because I left a forum that was shutdown and took all my posts and unpacked them from my suitcase on arrival. I likely looked like a super spammer when I first arrived.

Then I settled in and just started chatting where I felt it could help. One thing led to another and I do believe it was yours truly who suggested I become a mod.

Huh? Now why did that happen?
(Hint to reader... that was a question to you. How did a newcomer to a forum end up becoming "The XYZ Guy", and what could you do to replicate it?)
Exactly, you were on my radar early on. Then you wore on me.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Exactly, you were on my radar early on. Then you wore on me.
Ha. So I wore you down?

That's what sometimes happens when people genuinely want to help. They can look like spammers and people may look at them with suscpicion.

The way (I discovered) to get round it? Don't be a spammer in the first place. If your focus is on helping people then you get through eventually.

(BTW... thanks for being you all these years @jon.a.)

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
This thread has provided enormous value to me. Thank you for the new tagline.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
This thread has provided enormous value to me. Thank you for the new tagline.
Dammit... you just made me read the thread from start to finish. What tagline?

EDIT: Got it. Your forum tagline...

Last edited:

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
The biggest problem I see is the lack of expertise.

I don't mean coaching expertise either, I just mean the lack of "walking to walk".

For all we know you're a couch potato trying to give fitness advice.
Or a poor person teaching others to be rich.
There's just no compelling "draw" to attract people to you right now.
Especially not for a fee of any sort.

IMHO the best coaches transition from experts in their field to expert coaches in their field.

Look at it this way - if you wanted to get your shit together, which would you pick?

1. The guy with the masters in organizational psychology and a 6-month leadership coaching certification.
OR
2. The guy who is successful who has coached others to be successful in the past?

I'd take #2 every day because there's tangible evidence of success. I know you have what I want and you've given what I want to others in the past.

#1 tells me nothing other than you know how to pass tests. I would seek you out about questions regarding leadership programs and psychology degrees but that's about it.

I realize everyone needs to start "somewhere" but IMHO jumping into coaching without a compelling history is always the wrong place to start.
If you want to teach selling on amazon, I'd like to see the numbers on your prior amazon business first.
If you want to teach facebook ads, I'd like to see the numbers behind your previous ad campaigns.
If you want to teach weight loss, I'd really love to see your before/after.

But if you want to teach coaching.... well I'd really want to see who you've coached in the past, what they have to say, and what they've gone on to do.

It's true some coaches are just really good teachers and very poor "do-ers" but that always leaves a bad taste in my mouth. If it works, then it's hard to really get too upset, because there's value there, but it doesn't sit right with me. Much like the folks who teach budgeting who don't use a budget themselves - it helps people, and it works, but it just feels disingenuous.

My recommendation would be to explain what you've done in the past, where you are right now, and then give free coaching to a few folks who aren't as advanced as you are. Coach them, track their progress, record the results, and then use that as a basis to charge for your services. Then you can say "I helped 4 people and all 4 went from x-box addicts to making their first $1,000 online" (or whatever).

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.