The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

“Chat” Suggestion For MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Not sure if people would use it, INSIDERS? What say you?

Odysseus M Jones

[B...{r<°∆°>}--O--{<°∆°>k}...E]
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Feb 2, 2020
It's tiresome checking in to multiple places.
I like to keep all my entrepreneurs in one basket.

Hey I've been thinking that you should create a discord server for the INSIDERS of your community. It would really make getting the INSIDERS option way more appealing.
What are the benefits?
And what can we do there that we can't do here?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Wouldn't people post on discord instead of here? So I'd be checking two places?

Ok I'll stop typing now because of @Odysseus M Jones just asked all my questions. I'm open to it, I just don't see the point yet.

D

DeletedUser84644

It's tiresome checking in to multiple places.
I like to keep all my entrepreneurs in one basket.

What are the benefits?
And what can we do there that we can't do here?
well discord is basically an instant messaging platform originally created for gamers with chat rooms and stuff but it can be used outside of just gaming. and as for the point of people posting there instead of the forum I can tell you that in a lot of Reddit communities they do have a discord server that they link to despite having a forum. But I will agree that it does take away the incentive to post on the forum. And since the INSIDERS option is meant to be an exclusive perks kind of package then the discord idea should be exclusive as well. It basically gives the INSIDERS a more instantaneous way of communicating with one another.

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
But I will agree that it does take away the incentive to post on the forum. And since the INSIDERS option is meant to be an exclusive perks kind of package then the discord idea should be exclusive as well.
Are you kidding me? Is that how you defend your idea?!

Man what is going on with this generation....

Listen.

It's very simple.

A forum is a threaded system of communication, Discord is a real-time chat.

There is a MASSIVE difference between the two, and they are not interchangeable.

I will never post a massive post on Discord, because it will get lost. You'll lose your pants trying to scroll to it through all the chats. Whereas on the forum, you can easily find the thread...

But I can easily answer a stupid question that you may have on there. Much faster, and doesn't require a post. You can also ask as many follow-ups as you want, and we can basically have a proper, real-time conversation.

So very valuable content will always go in the forum. Small discussions and chats can go there, and everyone can participate or not as they wish. I think it's a solid idea, doesn't take anything away. There already are different Discord servers amongst members of TFLF, but not one with everyone in. If you need real-time help "Uhhhh how do I make this line on my website from white to red?" -> you probably want to ask that on Discord. Not the forum. Why? Because no one but you cares about how to make the line on your website red.

D

DeletedUser84644

Listen.

It's very simple.

There is a MASSIVE difference between the two, and they are not interchangeable.

I will never post a massive post on Discord, because it will get lost. You'll lose your pants trying to scroll to it through all the chats. Whereas on the forum, you can easily find the thread...

But I can easily answer a stupid question that you may have on there. Much faster, and doesn't require a post. You can also ask as many follow-ups as you want, and we can basically have a proper, real-time conversation.

So very valuable content will always go in the forum. Small discussions and chats can go there, and everyone can participate or not as they wish. I think it's a solid idea, doesn't take anything away. There already are different Discord servers amongst members of TFLF, but not one with everyone in. If you need real-time help "Uhhhh how do I make this line on my website from white to red?" -> you probably want to ask that on Discord. Not the forum.
Ok. Thanks for the enlightenment.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Isn't it more of a chat-forum VS long-form?

I agree that I don't want to take content away from the forum. But there has shown some interest in a random chat as referenced in our MASSIVE "Random Thoughts" thread.

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
Yes exactly. Imagine like a WhatsApp group with all INSIDERS in. Everyone sees the chat, everyone can write stuff, and talk to each other. It's more of a place for relaxing than serious discussions. I mean, if you have 200 unread messages from the chat when you log in, you'll probably not scroll back to see what's going on 200 lines ago.

The other advantage of Discord is that you can separate on different sub-channels. So say we have one for "newbies" or "introductions" or "ask a question", etc. Then basically they are like different WhatsApp groups, with their own chat if that makes more sense. And people can check out whichever one they want.

Hadrian

QUEST MASTER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Oct 8, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
I use it all the time! It’s more instant and interactive for sure but it would take from the web forum! Would be great for niche chats though eg. I’d love to chat to app devs. and share info, ideas and resources!

D

Deleted50669

I agree that I don't want to take content away from the forum. But there has shown some interest in a random chat as referenced in our MASSIVE "Random Thoughts" thread.

I think a lot of the value in many threads is the ability to backtrack peoples' rationale and deduce new insight from the overall conversation. A chat-based model would lose most of that value, not that it doesn't have its own merits - it's just off-brand.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
I would say it’s a bad idea.

From running a large free FB group in the past once you split the places you generally split the people too. Some people go to one platform and some to the other and you start to lose a common place where everyone talks.

Also, there are already summit WhatsApp groups and smaller masterminds etc. I get there would be some pros but it seems it would overall just take away from the forum.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
That “random thoughts” thread is like having a chat room inside the forum. You don’t bother reading start to finish, but if you’re online you can post there knowing whoever else is online may chatter back to you. That’s the beauty of chat rooms, which are different from forums. I can see the appeal of dropping into a chat room, but I’d guess it would take away from the forum too.

PapaGang

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Jul 10, 2019
Milwaukee, WI
Don't know if it splits the audience, or if it brings in new people. Maybe a bit of both.
I'm trying to figure out what having an official TFLF accomplishes that unofficial servers don't already?
Like, it seems that MJ already has enough going on. But maybe I'm wrong.

Also, what sort of valuable questions get asked and answered on a Discord server?

Not opposed. I'm trying to figure out how this would be valuable to me and to others.

Listen.

It's very simple.

So very valuable content will always go in the forum. Small discussions and chats can go there, and everyone can participate or not as they wish. I think it's a solid idea, doesn't take anything away. There already are different Discord servers amongst members of TFLF, but not one with everyone in. If you need real-time help "Uhhhh how do I make this line on my website from white to red?" -> you probably want to ask that on Discord. Not the forum. Why? Because no one but you cares about how to make the line on your website red.

^ Now that's how you describe a difference between two different communication methods.

PapaGang

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Jul 10, 2019
Milwaukee, WI
Is there a way to have real-time group chat on the forum? I'd participate in a real time chat, but I think the point Fox makes is pretty valid.
Right. This would seem to be more valuable. Why? The people are already here.

PapaGang

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Jul 10, 2019
Milwaukee, WI
@MJ DeMarco
I propose a discord server for all newbies.

They will only be allowed to post on the forum once a moderator sees that they're not posting about:
"Should I go to college?
Should I get a job?
What should I do?
Should I learn coding?
It's investing Fastlane?
My idea isn't Fastlane, help!
I'm so depressed"
Etc etc etc
Ok NOW I see value in the Discord server. :rofl:

Charnell

Block me if you're a quack
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City

Choate

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Mar 25, 2014
Boston
The forum is a special place and I think a Discord server would detract from that. With the forum, there is an established standard to the quality of content that gets posted - and there's a sense of community.

My guess is that a Discord server would be a lower quality place overall. Are the most serious and successful here going to be incentivized to participate in quick chats answering Google-able questions? Or is it going to attract the people who would rather use it as an excuse to action fake and waste time chatting?

I'm not saying it's all negative. It would be nice to have a quick chat. INSIDERS-only is certainly a plus. But I'm not sure the value add is fully there.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
A use case that could be valuable is if you’re working late at night and stuck on something. Maybe there’s 5 other people in the chat room and you can drop in and have a chat with them. Maybe it helps alleviate that loneliness of working late at night on your own? Maybe the bit of support and a set of fresh eyes can help you get unstuck too?

Maybe there could be a “Chat Thread” on the inside, and maybe one on the outside? Maybe the “Random Thoughts” thread is our nearest to a chat thread and if it’s still part of the forum then we’re not losing people but keeping people on the forum?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Any live chat will be full of ears with few valid mouthpieces to satiate it. Not really worth the effort or distraction in my opinion.

PapaGang

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Jul 10, 2019
Milwaukee, WI
I’ve used Discord and Slack and can’t tell the difference. To my eyes they’re identical, and messy.
Discord is like if you gave a 17 year-old a directive to design Slack, but more messy.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Is there a way to have real-time group chat on the forum? I'd participate in a real time chat, but I think the point Fox makes is pretty valid.

There are chat plugins for the forum, but they aren't very robust. We had a chat feature many years ago and it went largely unused. Of course, that was a different era so maybe the past doesn't equal the future.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
There are chat plugins for the forum, but they aren't very robust. We had a chat feature many years ago and it went largely unused. Of course, that was a different era so maybe the past doesn't equal the future.

You could run a poll, see how many people would actually be interested in it.

No idea on your end how complicated it is to add into the forum but could be worth a try! I saw they added a chat feature on reditt although it doesn't seem to be used.

Have an awesome day =)

Redwolf

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
196%
May 6, 2018
Southern California
If we wanted to try it out, there isn't a lot of time commitment setting up a discord server... so at least there isn't a large sunk cost... unless you want some spiffy bots. Add a banner on this site and start a thread advertising it as a place for quick questions or however you envision it supplementing this forum.

I guarantee there are a lot of posts that never happen because of the permanence, reply delays, and perceived "dumb question" mentality of a forum, vs a chat based medium like Discord. Will that decrease the signal to noise ratio? Perhaps. Oh, and you will need moderators for it, for sure, just like here.

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
If you want to further create an addictive sense of community, nothing comes close to chat.

MarkLavagne

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 27, 2019
Singapore
If you want to further create an addictive sense of community, nothing comes close to chat.
I respectfully disagree. As other folks pointed out, chat dilutes valuable information with senseless noise.

Here is a community united by substance, not medium or app. It does make sense though to create it for newbies and channel noise like "wat shud I do wiz my life while I'm playin gamez" there.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.