The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Taking Action And Getting Results

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

timosaurus

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jan 9, 2015
Edit: Apologies, everyone. Didn't mean to come off like a complete douche (reading over my comments, I definitely look like one). Very new to the forum so I'm still learning how everything works. I'll be more open minded as I am still VERY inexperienced and still have so much to learn. Looking forward to any more comments, tips, advice, especially criticisms. Sorry for the misunderstanding, I'll be better about it.

---

Good day everyone,

The purpose of this journal is keep myself accountable and track my progress through mastering Internet Marketing and Business. My favorite quote of all time is "You're the average of five people you associate with the most." If you want to be more healthy and fit, hang out with people who work out and eat healthily. If you want to be successful with relationships, hang out with people who befriend easily, date often, and have a vast network of connections. If you want to be more successful, hang out with people who are more successful with you (ideally people who are 20 years ahead of you). Inversely, if you want to be less successful, hang out with people who are less successful than you. Your mind will naturally gravitate towards those around you by the process of osmosis of knowledge and beliefs. Having a mastermind group of sorts is essential to integrating the fundamentals of value creation and value capturing into my natural intuition.

This purpose of me creating this journal is to connect with people who are on the same road or further along than me. My goal is to update this daily if possible with any insights, achievements, or lessons that I may come across. Even if nothing is learned that day (BIG IF), it’s important that I at least check in.

timosaurus
Somewhere in California
January 9, 2015

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

timosaurus

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jan 9, 2015
January 9, 2015

As of today, I am currently building up a marketing firm I started back in June. Slowly but surely, I am learning the ropes and building the business, but I could be taking MUCH more action. It gets to a point where enough is enough and I need to get a return on my time and emotional investment.

Little insight today is that I constantly need to be learning from those better than me. Polished talent doesn’t come from within, but from without. After talking to a buddy of mine who mentioned that he is currently applying to MBA programs, I realize that I must constantly be bettering myself to be able to compete in tomorrow’s arena. There are over 7 BILLION people in the world. I was reading today about a 12 year old who started a nuclear reactor in San Francisco. THIS IS MY COMPETITION. I need to get sharper so achieve financial independence, move on to prosperity, then finally wealth and impact (ref. Tai Lopez).

To mitigate any lacking of skill or knowledge, I am going to give myself my own personal MBA and create my own curriculum. As of now, this is my schedule for the next “semester”:

MBA Program: Semester 1
  1. Secret Society Mastermind by Timothy Marc
  2. 67 Steps by Tai Lopez
  3. Self-Made Wealth by Eben Pagan
  4. Source Wave by Alex Becker and Alex Cass
  5. How to Start a Startup (Stanford Course)
  6. Marketing Step by Step by Eben Pagan
  7. Get Altitude by Eben Pagan
  8. Straight Line Persuasion System

Addition:
  1. Speed Read a book two hours a day.
  2. Post in the Fastlane Forum everyday.
Some of these courses require an everyday attendance (67 steps by Tai Lopez). Some are a once a week thing with daily exercises (Self-Made Wealth). Regardless, I will be downloading this information to aim to be in the top 10% of my field, however long it takes (three years, five years, ten years+…)

My only fear is to get back on once I fall off. Just like anything in life, you fall of. (Gym, social circle, girlfriends...), but I have to get back on it.

Over time, I think I may drop one or two of these courses, it may be unsustainable running my marketing firm simultaneously. My business is my number one priority and is not something I will compromise on.

Action Items:
  1. Set a HARD DATE (January 15) when I’m going to begin my “semester”
  2. Build a spreadsheet covering my “class schedule.”

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Can I retitle your thread? These "I'm going to be a billionaire!" threads aren't well received here. Thank you for the progress/journal report and welcome to the forum.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Welcome to the forum!

Read this book first...

http://www.themillionairefastlane.com/

I do wish you the best of success so take the following constructive criticism in the spirit it is meant.

I understand you need to start somewhere and self education is important but consider implementing 'just in time' learning.

Your posts to date just seem like new year's resolutions. No real 'meat and potatoes'.

Example...

Post in the Warrior forum everyday.

How does this actually further you? (I would even argue that you should stay far away from WF)

Action Items:
I would consider the above 'action fakes'. Action fakes are tasks you complete that make you 'feel' good but do little to really propelling you forward.

EDIT to add: Also, why wait till January 15th?

Again, welcome to the forum and spend some time reading thru all the gold threads as they alone are more valuable than an MBA. :)

Last edited:

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
This reminds me of what someone once said to me. "Before you can advocate for someone else, you must learn to advocate for yourself."

In fast lane terms: "Before you can become a billionaire, you must learn to become a millionaire."

In my case: "Before I can become the Babe Ruth of a the writing world, I must learn what is necessary first." How to respond to naysayers, and negative people without being thrown out of balance. Not having and emotional reaction. In one example: An author tracking down a reviewer to her house, and taking it to far. The author's community frowned on that, and I believe she's on the Bad Behavior Author's list.

While I sometimes get annoyed with the process, the delays, and being patient, I know every step of the way is necessary to create my character, and perform with excellence once I get there.

What I've learned in life is there different levels and a process to go through, a learning experience, every day, every hour, every minute, you learn something through trial and error to get there. We may think we're ready for billionaire, but haven't even learned the steps of where we are at the moment in the journey. Bottom line, a billion actions that need to be taken to become a billionaire.

timosaurus

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jan 9, 2015
I recommend that you read the Millionaire Fastlane first.

What you need is concrete/specific knowledge or concepts. That's why I recommend you start with The Millionaire Fastlane . It's like 10 times better than what you can get from most self proclaimed experts.

Will do! I'll order the book through Amazon Prime and burn through it. Was reading some people's summaries covering it online, I'm excited to get my hands on it.

timosaurus

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jan 9, 2015
Can I retitle your thread? These "I'm going to be a billionaire!" threads aren't well received here. Thank you for the progress/journal report and welcome to the forum.

Hi MJ! I really appreciate you asking, and yes, let's change it. I was just thinking out loud when I created the title, and I always liked W. Clement Stone's saying, "Aim for the moon. If you miss, you may hit a star." If you think the title is still inappropriate, would you mind renaming it "Taking Action And Getting Results"? Cheers!

Edit: Changed the retitling to "Taking Action And Getting Results." Based off everyone's feedback, that's what I should be focused on. Less studying/talking, more doing.

Last edited:

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Here we go again. At least you're willing to change the thread title. How about instead of "business mastery" you make it "making my first dollar online"?

Your "mba program" is bullshit. Those are mostly just fluffy selp help programs, where YOU are the product. Tai Lopez is full of shit, dont listen to anything he says. Belfort's program is good but only useful if your business involves direct sales. The stanford program is supposedly good by the caliber of speakers, but all this "startup" stuff is just about raising millions of VC and then maybe figuring out how to make money a few years down the road (or never). So if you want to go that road, sure read up on the fluff.

I hope you didnt pay for the programs yet.

If you want to know how to become a real entrepreneur who builds profitable businesses out of thin air, read MJ's fastlane book (mindset, building a business on a great foundation) and after that "ready fire aim" by michael masterson (growing the business). After that, start a business and apply everything you learned from these 2 books. For mindset, read "how to get rich" by felix dennis. Thats all you need to get started.

If you ever feel like you should read another book, just reread them first.

I read many books and watched a lot of programs, including some that you mention. They didnt help me one bit. What made me go from 0 to mid-5 (soon 6 and sky is the limit in my market) figures a month and building a real asset was the exact combination of the 3 books mentioned above and REALLY applying them.

Good luck.

Last edited:

timosaurus

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jan 9, 2015
Welcome to the forum!

Read this book first...

http://www.themillionairefastlane.com/

I do wish you the best of success so take the following constructive criticism in the spirit it is meant.

I understand you need to start somewhere and self education is important but consider implementing 'just in time' learning.

Your posts to date just seem like new year's resolutions. No real 'meat and potatoes'.

Example...

How does this actually further you? (I would even argue that you should stay far away from WF)

Thanks for pointing that out! I actually meant "The Fastlane Forum," it would be ridiculous to post on the WF forum unless I had an actual question (technical especially). If you don't mind me asking however, what do you have against WF? Thanks again!

I would consider the above 'action fakes'. Action fakes are tasks you complete that make you 'feel' good but do little to really propelling you forward.

EDIT to add: Also, why wait till January 15th?

Again, welcome to the forum and spend some time reading thru all the gold threads as they alone are more valuable than an MBA. :)

You may be right, but I think you say that just because of the timing of year. I actually meant the week of January 15, the Monday closest to it more specifically (January 12). But they are not "action fakes," but rather "action items." I see them as a necessary structure and framework to keep myself organized, like a class schedule. And I should also add these are not New Years Resolutions, but rather a "resolution," but rather a continuation of their education, regardless of the time of year.

Then again, what I am posting is only talk, and we'll only see for sure by the results I produce and my actual progress.

Thanks AllenCrawley!

timosaurus

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jan 9, 2015
This community is really not what I thought it was. One day in and I'm receiving so much flack, mostly stemming from a title that wasn't well thought out. Very "supportive."

Here we go again. At least you're willing to change the thread title. How about instead of "business mastery" you make it "making my first dollar online"?

"Business Mastery" because it's one of my aspirations. "making my first dollar online"? I made 4K of disposable income last month through my own efforts and with a business I just started. Just because I just created a new account doesn't mean I'm starting from complete scratch. If you actually read my post, you would see that I run a marketing firm in Los Angeles with a team I screened, hired, and pay myself.

Your "mba program" is bullshit. Those are mostly just fluffy selp help programs, where YOU are the product. Belfort's program is good but only useful if your business involves direct sales. The stanford program is supposedly good by the caliber of speakers, but all this "startup" stuff is just about raising millions of VC and then maybe figuring out how to make money a few years down the road (or never). So if you want to go that road, sure read up on the fluff.

I hope you didnt pay for the programs yet.

"Bullshit"? Hostile, aren't we? I graduated university and this a continuation of my education process. If anyone is successful or financially "tall", it's because they're standing on the shoulders of giants - learning from people who came before them. These programs are also to help out out with entrepreneurial mindset and a better understanding of business in general, as I already have technical skills (web development, animated video production, graphic design, etc.). I need to round myself out.

If you want to know how to become a real entrepreneur who builds profitable businesses out of thin air, read MJ's fastlane book and after that "ready fire aim" by michael masterson. After that, start a business and apply everything you learned from these 2 books. For mindset, read "how to get rich" by felix dennis. Thats all you need.

If you ever feel like you should read another book, just reread them first.

I appreciate your recommendations, but as I've mentioned I am already building and running my business with my team. And I HOPE you're kidding thinking I can "start a business and apply everything learned from these 2 books." To start a business, yes. To run and grow you need technical skills as well, unless you're selling lemonade on the street corner. If you could "start a business and apply everything you learned" from books alone, everyone would be doing it.

I read many books and watched a lot of programs, including some that you mention. They didnt help me one bit. What made me go from 0 to mid-5 (soon 6 and sky is the limit in my market) figures a month and building a real asset was the exact combination of the 3 books mentioned above and REALLY applying them.

Good luck.

Which books and programs did you go through? I would love your critique so I can avoid said books and programs. Thanks.

Last edited:
D

DeletedUser394

I'll be a bit nicer than usual. I'll also disregard the fact that I hate Patrick Bateman and this thread title is whack.

Look at it from our perspective. We don't know who you are, what you've done thus far, etc.

You start a progress thread with no actual goals, unless you deem 'become billionaire' to be a credible goal.

You say you're going to read a bunch of books, but post no action steps beyond that.

This self imposed 'class schedule' is pretty freaking weird man. These are not goals or accomplishments. From the outside looking in, they seem like action fakes.

timosaurus

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jan 9, 2015
I'll be a bit nicer than usual. I'll also disregard the fact that I hate Patrick Bateman and this thread title is whack.

Look at it from our perspective. We don't know who you are, what you've done thus far, etc.

You start a progress thread with no actual goals, unless you deem 'become billionaire' to be a credible goal.

You say you're going to read a bunch of books, but post no action steps beyond that.

This self imposed 'class schedule' is pretty freaking weird man. These are not goals or accomplishments. From the outside looking in, they seem like action fakes.

Understood. That's actually Bruce Wayne, not Bateman, but I can see how one may mistaken that. The avatar I chose was just for fun because I like the film, but again, I understand where you're coming from.

The action steps are internal with my team, but I'll be careful to post actual action steps for the public to see. Thanks for pointing that out, still learning the ropes of how these progress threads work. I really do appreciate your constructive post man, thanks.

Mr.B

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Nov 8, 2014
Australia
what do you have against WF?

Have you actually spent much time on Warrior Forum? That place is sick... And I don't mean in a good way.

This community is really not what I thought it was. One day in and I'm receiving so much flack, mostly stemming from a title that wasn't well thought out. Very "supportive."

I've found this place to be very supportive, especially for those who are taking real action.

While education is important and getting your mindset right is essential, buying into every entrepreneurial system is not necessarily the answer.

Personally, I've gotten more from @IceCreamKid's Astonishing Secrets Thread than I have many of the books I've read over the past decade.

I also find that speed reading and 'burning through' books is not as valuable as taking the time to read them slowly and consider them deeply. I often read the good books multiple times before progressing on to another title.

I wish you all the best.

Last edited by a moderator:

timosaurus

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jan 9, 2015
Have you actually spent much time on Warrior Forum? That place is sick... And I don't mean in a good way.

I've found this place to be very supportive, especially for those who are taking real action.

While education is important and getting your mindset right is essential, buying into every entrepreneurial system is not necessarily the answer.

Personally, I've gotten more from @IceCreamKid's Astonishing Secrets Thread than I have many of the books I've read over the past decade.

I also find that speed reading and 'burning through' books is not as valuable as taking the time to read them slowly and consider them deeply. I often read the good books multiple times before progressing on to another title.

I wish you all the best.

Thanks Mr. B! Really appreciate your insight. You're right, taking action is more important than buying into every entrepreneurial system. Great point. I'll cut off some of those programs I mentioned.

Mr.B

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Nov 8, 2014
Australia
Thanks Mr. B! Really appreciate your insight. You're right, taking action is more important than buying into every entrepreneurial system. Great point. I'll cut off some of those programs I mentioned.

No worries @timosaurus.

Is your main focus on expanding your marketing firm or do you have another venture in mind? What action can you take right now to grow your business?

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Hi OP. Welcome to the forum.

Who are you going to help?

What problem do they have?

Are they willing to pay for a solution?
How do you know?

Can you help someone this week?

Can you get paid doing it this week?

What would you do if you already knew enough and don't need to do any more studying?

Last edited:

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
This community is really not what I thought it was. One day in and I'm receiving so much flack
"Community?" Realize you only quoted 1 person and have put the rest of us into that one box.

And I HOPE you're kidding thinking I can "start a business and apply everything learned from these 2 books." To start a business, yes. To run and grow you need technical skills as well, unless you're selling lemonade on the street corner. If you could "start a business and apply everything you learned" from books alone, everyone would be doing it.
Have you read the three books mentioned?

Nicoknowsbest

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
396%
Mar 31, 2014
Austria
More than true. I have similar experiences like @theag. I read almost everything out there. No results. The game changer for me was TMF and the FLF. But only, because I restricted my time spent reading. I have to take action before I can move on to reading new stuff.

And I HOPE you're kidding thinking I can "start a business and apply everything learned from these 2 books." To start a business, yes. To run and grow you need technical skills as well, unless you're selling lemonade on the street corner. If you could "start a business and apply everything you learned" from books alone, everyone would be doing it.
The way you answer here shows some immaturity. Look at @theag's rep bank. Look at yours. He took the time to actually give you real advice. Of course it's not that easy, but you should read between the lines and think about what he is saying.

People here are sharp and experienced. Cut the bullshit, provide some value and you will get a TON from this place. If you have the right intentions, you will get support like nowhere else. You have to earn it first though.

You come here, don't write a proper introduction and blast out ridiculous words. People take the time to reply and you attack them for not being supportive and ignore their advice. What do you expect?

Re-read the comments and you will find a ton of lessons that apply here on the forum, and in life.

Welcome to the tough love.

timosaurus

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jan 9, 2015
Apologies, everyone. Didn't mean to come off like a complete douche (reading over my comments, I definitely look like one). Very new to the forum so I'm still learning how everything works. I'll be more open minded as I am still VERY inexperienced and still have so much to learn. Looking forward to any more comments, tips, advice, especially criticisms. Sorry for the misunderstanding, I'll be better about it.

Mr.B

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Nov 8, 2014
Australia
Apologies, everyone. Didn't mean to come off like a complete douche (reading over my comments, I definitely look like one). Very new to the forum so I'm still learning how everything works. I'll be more open minded as I am still VERY inexperienced and still have so much to learn. Looking forward to any more comments, tips, advice, and even criticisms. Sorry for the misunderstanding, I'll be better about it.

Take a moment to answer @Andy Black's questions ^^^

If you don't know the answers, focus on figuring that out first.

It's not about the money or what you can take from others.

It's about how you can help and what you can give.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Apologies, everyone. Didn't mean to come off like a complete douche (reading over my comments, I definitely look like one). Very new to the forum so I'm still learning how everything works. I'll be more open minded as I am still VERY inexperienced and still have so much to learn. Looking forward to any more comments, tips, advice, especially criticisms. Sorry for the misunderstanding, I'll be better about it.
Good for you.

Glad you're going to stick around @timosaurus

You might now enjoy this post.

Nicoknowsbest

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
396%
Mar 31, 2014
Austria
Great answer to all the criticism. No harm done!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Edit: Changed the retitling to "Taking Action And Getting Results." Based off everyone's feedback, that's what I should be focused on. Less studying/talking, more doing.

Per your request, I changed the title. Now we need to see the "results" you speak of. :)

Sociable

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Aug 5, 2015
January 9, 2015

1. Speed Read a book two hours a day.
  2. Post in the Fastlane Forum everyday.
Some of these courses require an everyday attendance (67 steps by Tai Lopez). Some are a once a week thing with daily exercises (Self-Made Wealth). Regardless, I will be downloading this information to aim to be in the top 10% of my field, however long it takes (three years, five years, ten years+…)

My only fear is to get back on once I fall off. Just like anything in life, you fall of. (Gym, social circle, girlfriends...), but I have to get back on it.

Over time, I think I may drop one or two of these courses, it may be unsustainable running my marketing firm simultaneously. My business is my number one priority and is not something I will compromise on.

Action Items:

How did it go so far mate? I'm really curious :)

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago

"Action fakes."

Good term for the Omega types. @axiom

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.