The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Growing an MMA news channel on YouTube

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
I was wondering what you guys think of my landing page for email sign ups!

This is it here
MMA Fight Talk

I havent got any subscribers yet, I don't know if its too early to say if its not working or not. Maybe I should run with it for a few weeks and see how it goes.

Just having a bit of a creative brain fart, do any of you have any suggestions for me or ideas to improve this?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I was wondering what you guys think of my landing page for email sign ups!

This is it here
MMA Fight Talk

I havent got any subscribers yet, I don't know if its too early to say if its not working or not. Maybe I should run with it for a few weeks and see how it goes.

Just having a bit of a creative brain fart, do any of you have any suggestions for me or ideas to improve this?
Remove a load of words. If you were to have one sentence what would it be? Maybe something like "Get the latest news and fight analysis straight to your inbox"

The section where people enter their email is hard to read. Maybe have it white?

Maybe ask for their first name too, that way you can send your first few subscribers a video welcome email and use their name.

Imagine people don't read the blurb on the page and just go to the button. What should it read then? Something like "Signup to the newsletter" maybe?

Change the button colour to match the red in your brand colours.

Screenshot_20230518-072026_Chrome.jpg

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Remove a load of words. If you were to have one sentence what would it be? Maybe something like "Get the latest news and fight analysis straight to your inbox"

The section where people enter their email is hard to read. Maybe have it white?

Maybe ask for their first name too, that way you can send your first few subscribers a video welcome email and use their name.

Imagine people don't read the blurb on the page and just go to the button. What should it read then? Something like "Signup to the newsletter" maybe?

Change the button colour to match the red in your brand colours.

View attachment 48871
Thanks for that Andy, I will implement that now!

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
I made some improvements on the landing page that I have in my description of some of the videos I post. And the landing page is also inclded on my youtube page banner.

I also have a substack that I link to aswell. I get the transcript from my youtube videos, then ask chat GPT to write my newsletter. It is so simple and I love this tool. I am getting views on my landing pages now, but no subscribers on the substack as yet, see how it goes. But at least people are visiting the newsletter, hopefully reading. Next step is to get them to sign up.

The silence detection tool in filmora is going to save me hours of time. It auto deletes silences in the audio when I upload the file and deletes them. This enables me to create longer videos, with better editing and not sacrificing the quality. Infact, it improves it.

I added music to this video here, and I script the first minute of my videos now. I think this is working really well. Getting subscribers is no longer a pulling teeth exercise.

View: https://youtu.be/GKo3kuPybgU

Last edited:

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I made some improvements on the landing page that I have in my description of some of the videos I post. And the landing page is also inclded on my youtube page banner.

I also have a substack that I link to aswell. I get the transcript from my youtube videos, then ask chat GPT to write my newsletter. It is so simple and I love this tool. I am getting views on my landing pages now, but no subscribers on the substack as yet, see how it goes. But at least people are visiting the newsletter, hopefully reading. Next step is to get them to sign up.

The silence detection tool in filmora is going to save me hours of time. It auto deletes silences in the audio when I upload the file and deletes them. This enables me to create longer videos, with better editing and not sacrificing the quality. Infact, it improves it.

I added music to this video here, and I script the first minute of my videos now. I think this is working really well. Getting subscribers is no longer a pulling teeth exercise.

View: https://youtu.be/GKo3kuPybgU
Watched it all. No filler words. A bit fast for me to follow - maybe because I don't know the subject.

Personally, I love how you don't ask people to subscribe to the channel or newsletter until you sign off, and you do it quickly. What do your viewing stats say at that point? Is there a drop-off in views?

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Watched it all. No filler words. A bit fast for me to follow. I don't B now if that's because I don't know the subject.

Personally, I love how you don't ask people to subscribe to the channel or newsletter until you sign off, and you do it quickly. What do your viewing stats say at that point? Is there a drop-off in views?
Thanks Andy.

There tends to always be a drop off in views at the very end of a video and a gradual decline on all videos from start to finish.

What helps is trying to make videos so that the viewer doesn't know the end of the video is coming.

Doing that's helped me not get a big drop off at the end.

It hasn't had any negative effect at all, my videos are performing better than they ever have now.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
I will also add, that I have found great value in replying to nearly all of the people that comment on my videos.
(unless they are angry trolls, or giving me abuse)

People talk back to me, I like comments, and they remember it. A few times I have gotten subscribers by just engaging with their comment and having a chat.

For people that don't subscribe, they remember you anyway and you might get them as a subscriber the next video of yours they watch.

Now obviously you can't keep this up as a really big channel. But if you dont have a channel that just explodes out of the gate, I can't see it hurting.

Helps build a relationship more with your audience.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I will also add, that I have found great value in replying to nearly all of the people that comment on my videos.
(unless they are angry trolls, or giving me abuse)

People talk back to me, I like comments, and they remember it. A few times I have gotten subscribers by just engaging with their comment and having a chat.

For people that don't subscribe, they remember you anyway and you might get them as a subscriber the next video of yours they watch.

Now obviously you can't keep this up as a really big channel. But if you dont have a channel that just explodes out of the gate, I can't see it hurting.

Helps build a relationship more with your audience.
"Do things that don't scale." (Paul Graham)

I do this too. Get into conversation with people while you're a small enough channel to do so. Those initial subscribers are often your diehard fans, and the most likely to share your content and give constructive feedback.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
I took Andy's advice last night and slowed the pace down just a little bit.
I have an option now for people to donate to the channel in the description as well.
Unlike the newsletter, I do not mention it in the videos, as I find asking for something like that a bit cringe.
But now the people that want to support me and the channel at least have the option to donate if they choose.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLDlSRrwGcU

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
So I am 2 months into this YouTube channel and these are the things iv'e learned aswell as channel statistics:
28 videos made.

Subscribers: 74
Average View Duration: 1:45.
Click through rate: 4.5%
Impressions: 201,000
Views: 12,000
watch time: 300 hours.

1 month after this post i have grown quite a lot.
Still small in the grand scheme of things but I have more than doubled my stats on the previous month.

Subscribers: 320
Average View Duration: 2:15.
Click through rate: 6.2%
Impressions: 503,000
Views: 39,600
watch time: 1400 hours.

People can be real assholes who comment on your stuff on the internet lol.
There is some miserable people out there, I just try ignore it.
Most is positive however.

Last edited:

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
People can be real assholes who comment on your stuff on the internet lol.
Yeah, and I bet they haven't published any videos themselves.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Bad news:

It appears the UFC is very strict on making copyright claims against youtube channels, even if it does fall under fair use and transformative content. several channels such as this below have seen their channels basically destroyed:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjourCVIm_E

Curently I do use UFC video and pictures in my channel, videos i limit to 8 seconds at most for a clip and i commentate over this, but I don't think this is good enough anymore to fall under fair use, so i have had to pivot and change things up a bit to ensure nothing like this happens to me.

The good:

I have reached out to several artists that do painting of ufc fighters, vector graphics etc to ask if i can use their art on my channel as part of my b-roll and if they want to work with me on this. I have art secured that looks great after an artist said yes, and i can use their artwork as my b-roll footage.

I already have one taker after sending a few messages and emails.

I even contacted the UFC to see if they want to work with me on this, see what they say i guess!

Other good news:

Taking the extra time to secure footage/images that don't fall under copyright will differentiate me from other channels in this niche and I am now exposed to less risk of getting taken down.

One of my videos is blowing up and currently has 33,000 views so far. It's doing alot of the heavy lifting for me and the channel now sits at 430 subscribers.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
533 subscribers now
2800 hours of watch time.

I am over half way there now.

My last 2 videos have absolutely tanked however, but when i look at the stats for AVD and CTR it doesn't appear to be because they are bad videos, but youtube isn't pushing them right now.

When this happens, it's hard not to feel the videos are a waste of time, but the 2 videos are more evergreen, they will be relevant for a few months at least. I have tried making my last 6 or so videos relevant for at least the next few months, so that way views will keep trickling in.

I have started to mention past videos in all of my new videos now to drive people to my past work, see how that goes.

Not much news or things happening in MMA at the moment so i have kind of just forced these last 2 videos out to keep momentum going.

Last edited:

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Update on the channel:
3800 watch hours, I am about to hit the monetization requirements that sits at 4000 watch hours for this.
640 subscribers, 360 away from the 1000 short term goal.

This video also just got me my first email subscriber, so my marketing is working on getting email sign ups!
(For those interested, the lead magnet I am using starts at 4:26)
View: https://youtu.be/pYA7soW7bHA

I will take @Lex DeVille advice for the next video and put the marketing for it more to the front end of the video to see if that produces more sign ups. I think it will, as more people are watching closer to the beginning, so i will see how this effects the overall retention and report back to you all.

Happy with how it's going at the minute. I will start building an email sequence once i have figured the best way to get a predictable consistent drip of new email subscribers with my lead magnet.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Update on the channel:
3800 watch hours, I am about to hit the monetization requirements that sits at 4000 watch hours for this.

This video also just got me my first email subscriber, so my marketing is working on getting email sign ups!

I will take @Lex DeVille advice for the next video and put the marketing for it more to the front end of the video to see if that produces more sign ups. I think it will, as more people are watching closer to the beginning, so i will see how this effects the overall retention and report back to you all.

Happy with how it's going at the minute. I will start building an email sequence once i have figured the best way to get a predictable consistent drip of new email subscribers with my lead magnet.
Good work.

Have you sent a video message to your solitary email signup?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I did them in the past, making sure to ask them to reply. Loads of people were shocked that I'd sent a personal video/email.

I'd say something like the below:

Hi Bob,

Thanks for signing up to my new newsletter <name of newsletter>.

I'm super curious how you found out about it and what you'd like me to write about.

Just reply and let me know!

Cameraman

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Sep 25, 2021
UK
I did them before making sure to ask them to reply. Lpads of people were shocked that I'd sent a personal video/email.

Hi Bob,

I'm super curious how you found out about it and what you'd like me to write about.

I think it's a great idea. It reminds me of the sorts of ideas I read in "Evergreen Assets" by John Lamerton. I think I'm going to dig out my copy and re-read it. It's one of the most actionable books I've ever read.

It only takes a minute to record a personal subscriber message and I can imagine the huge impact it will have on someone. Well worth testing out.

I may use it as a follow up message a couple of days after they subscribe. I can check that they downloaded the free book and if they have any questions.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I think it's a great idea. It reminds me of the sorts of ideas I read in "Evergreen Assets" by John Lamerton. I think I'm going to dig out my copy and re-read it. It's one of the most actionable books I've ever read.

It only takes a minute to record a personal subscriber message and I can imagine the huge impact it will have on someone. Well worth testing out.

I may use it as a follow up message a couple of days after they subscribe. I can check that they downloaded the free book and if they have any questions.
It's also something we can do while small that the big guys have no hope of doing.

And those conversations can be very enlightening.

I liken it to the 3,500+ PMs I've had with people in the forum. It helped me loads to help other people.

Cybom

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Dec 18, 2021
Update on the channel:

Great progress!
Keep up the good work @Timmy C !

I did them before making sure to ask them to reply. Loads of people were shocked that I'd sent a personal video/email.

Hi Bob,

Simple and a wonderful idea to get closer to your first subscribers and get valuable feedback, love it!

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
It's been very busy despite producing less videos for the channel as of late.

Much has been being worked on behind the scenes.

I have my own website now, so far it's my free ebook offer aswell as a helpful article I wrote on maintaining shoulder health whilst doing martial arts that is based on my own experience. I am only doing and creating things that I think will help people or entertain them. Some MMA news articles are on the site also.

I had a nightmare of a time trying to set up AWS with squarspace and chose a different email marketing alternative that I'm happy with and that's mostly dialled in now, so I'm happy with that being 90% done.

A funny thing happened today when I trained BJJ at my local gym. Someone recognized me from my youtube channel and started talking to me about it.

He said my channel is good and mentioned i had over 73,000 views on a video. He said to keep going, that it's going good. I haven't told anyone at my gym about my channel BTW. This was completely organic

As @Andy Black said: "No pressure down the gym then, now you're a celebrity."

Latest content isn't getting much views, I think due to not many exciting things happening atm in MMA.

So I'll pivot for a week or so and make MMA content that's a bit different but still in my niche.

Last edited:

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
A funny thing happened today when I trained BJJ at my local gym. Someone recognized me from my youtube channel and started talking to me about it.

He said my channel is good and mentioned i had over 73,000 views on a video. He said to keep going, that it's going good. I haven't told anyone at my gym about my channel BTW. This was completely organic
This just shows the power of putting yourself out there. Just wait till you get your processes dialed in, are producing consistently, and have a body of work built up.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
This just shows the power of putting yourself out there. Just wait till you get your processes dialed in, are producing consistently, and have a body of work built up.

Yeh it's all coming together.
I'm not just focusing on building a channel, but a business around the channel.

Slowly but surely the puzzle pieces are being put in place.

It's OK to slowdown at times. Theres Still some important chess pieces to put in place but these things take time.

Tiago

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Mar 22, 2014
What if you capitalize now on the Musk vs Zuckerberg fight?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

cornishpasty

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
327%
Mar 14, 2023
Cornwall, UK

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.