The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Started a Business Documentary Channel on YouTube

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...
A

Anon3x156

Hey everyone, I started a business documentary channel on Youtube.
This is not my first channel. I have one more channel right now which has around 900k views and pulls 1200 views every day. However it's not even monetized, it's around 690 subs right now. The viewer to subscriber conversion rate is so goddamn low because of the niche of the channel. I also had another one which was monetized and had over 1m views.

But I wanted to make a new channel, with a possibility to grow to millions and a great CPI so I can make a decent income.

I got great content ideas on my mind right now which I'm about to start creating and I think they will really provide value to the viewers.

The channel doesn't have any subscribers right now, I tried to make a video about the latest Elon Musk stuff going on to get the video suggested by YouTube but it didn't really work out.

The hardest thing to achieve is to get that initial audience, so youtube can test your videos' click-through rate and watch time and decide whether suggest the video or not.

I'm trying to think about ways to get my first 50-100 subs. I'm also thinking about using YouTube Ads to get an initial audience. I'm open to ideas if you have any.

ytadvertisewhyitworksbefore.jpg

Here is my first video:

I hired a professional voice over artist on Fiverr for this video but it cost me $25 and he was one of the cheapest artists on Fiverr.
Professional voice over is really expensive. I got $3700 saved up right now but I don't want to spend all my money to voice overs without earning any income from YouTube.

I'm thinking about spending around $200 to buy a good quality microphone and doing the voice overs myself. It's obviously not going to sound as professional as a voice over artist but it's going to be way more affordable and sustainable for me.

Also I'm thinking about buying Doodly for whiteboard animations to improve the general quality of my videos.. There is a $56 one-time buy opportunity right now that sounds good to me. Their monthly is $39, or $20 if you buy annually.

I'm not a native English speaker so my grammar is a whole mess. I'm using a website called grammarly to fix the grammar issues in my scripts.

I'll be updating this thread and sharing my experiences.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
You should read my first book, Millionaire Fastlane , it should be available in Turkey in your language. I'm guessing you haven't read it based on this post. Quite simply, you are chasing money.

A

Anon3x156

You should read my first book, Millionaire Fastlane , it should be available in Turkey in your language. I'm guessing you haven't read it based on this post. Quite simply, you are chasing money.
Shit you caught me. But if you look at the current situation of YouTube, isn't everyone chasing money? Most of those viral videos doesn't necessarily "add value" to any one.

Screenshot_20220429-025707_YouTube.jpg

I got some plans to make a video series that I tell the stories of big companies reaching their first 1000 customers, big entrepreneurs making their first million, big YouTubers getting their first 1000 subscribers and so on.

I'm not some millionaire or a stock market expert so I don't know how else I can create value through videos in the Finance / Business niche.

Thank you for the comment, good to see you here.

A

Anon3x156

Also I tried to read it once but didn't really read the whole book (i got attention-deficit). I'll try to read the whole book this time. Omw to read it again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Angler

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
271%
Sep 9, 2021
But I wanted to make a new channel, with a possibility to grow to millions and a great CPI so I can make a decent income.
How are you doing things differently compared to others? Do you have a unique editing style, humor, storytelling, or brand message? Or perhaps you know how to gauge a short-attention-span audience... Do you already have a following to leverage(in this case no, as you said so yourself)? What are your value skews that will make your channel stand out? Lastly... do you just want to be another YouTuber who chases money?

or do you want to build a BRAND that you can leverage into a money-making system USING youtube as a tool? The answer to those questions is why MJ called you out for chasing money.
Most of those viral videos doesn't necessarily "add value" to any one.
I call bullshit with this one man. The Youtuber you mention has been on the grind since 2013. I don't think you observe her process with the first channel. She has 1 million subscribers and around 60 Million views. her second channel started last year and blew to 500k subscribers and around 20 Million views in a year.

Perhaps her editing isn't that crazy compared to this forum's own YouTuber star James Jani. Nevertheless, she is still experiencing ALOT of growth and profit.

Coincidence?

Probably not. She probably has a cult-like following from her first brand. Seeing that her first brand, which is the lifestyle/photography niche(prone to emotional/icon-idoling->perfect for creating loyal fans). She earned the ability to promote her second channel after 11 years of putting in time on youtube. These cult-like followers from her first channel get funneled into her second channel assuming she promotes her second channel. Then, being the loyal followers that they are, SOME WILL WATCH AND LOVE THE VIDEOS, many times over. Hence, the algorithm will pick up and promote these videos... even if the production quality isn't that great, her value skew is her brand. One that took her 11 years to build. She's put in the work and hours to be able to get views based on mediocre content.

imagine Justin Bieber getting punched vs you getting punched. Which one will people want to know more about? Oh... Justin Bieber and not you? Why? Well, because he has millions of people stalking him and loving HIM and his work.

You... you haven't earned the love or offered enough value. Yet.

A

Anon3x156

How are you doing things differently compared to others? Do you have a unique editing style, humor, storytelling, or brand message? Or perhaps you know how to gauge a short-attention-span audience... Do you already have a following to leverage(in this case no, as you said so yourself)? What are your value skews that will make your channel stand out? Lastly... do you just want to be another YouTuber who chases money?

or do you want to build a BRAND that you can leverage into a money-making system USING youtube as a tool? The answer to those questions is why MJ called you out for chasing money.

I call bullshit with this one man. The Youtuber you mention has been on the grind since 2013. I don't think you observe her process with the first channel. She has 1 million subscribers and around 60 Million views. her second channel started last year and blew to 500k subscribers and around 20 Million views in a year.

Perhaps her editing isn't that crazy compared to this forum's own YouTuber star James Jani. Nevertheless, she is still experiencing ALOT of growth and profit.

Coincidence?

Probably not. She probably has a cult-like following from her first brand. Seeing that her first brand, which is the lifestyle/photography niche(prone to emotional/icon-idoling->perfect for creating loyal fans). She earned the ability to promote her second channel after 11 years of putting in time on youtube. These cult-like followers from her first channel get funneled into her second channel assuming she promotes her second channel. Then, being the loyal followers that they are, SOME WILL WATCH AND LOVE THE VIDEOS, many times over. Hence, the algorithm will pick up and promote these videos... even if the production quality isn't that great, her value skew is her brand. One that took her 11 years to build. She's put in the work and hours to be able to get views based on mediocre content.

imagine Justin Bieber getting punched vs you getting punched. Which one will people want to know more about? Oh... Justin Bieber and not you? Why? Well, because he has millions of people stalking him and loving HIM and his work.

You... you haven't earned the love or offered enough value. Yet.
Hey, thank you for the comment.
I don't think you have to be significantly different than the other channels to become successful but I'm planning to start using a different editing style in my next videos.

In my opinion, it's the content idea, execution and timing that what matters on YouTube.
Even though this got me thinking about the channel and my style. I think I'll try to re-structure the whole thing after reading the The Millionaire Fastlane .

By the way, the "viral videos that don't add value" wasn't about Sorelle personally. I know she has great videos out there. I just gave that video as an example. There are YouTubers who get the same or even more views, but didn't have a solid audience when they first started. Jake Tran for example. His channel is only 2-3 years old:

Screenshot_20220429-035624_YouTube.jpg

I get your point though.

Eholic

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
Apr 6, 2020
United Kingdom
Hey everyone, I started a business documentary channel on Youtube.
This is not my first channel. I have one more channel right now which has around 900k views and pulls 1200 views every day. However it's not even monetized, it's around 690 subs right now. The viewer to subscriber conversion rate is so goddamn low because of the niche of the channel. I also had another one which was monetized and had over 1m views.

I got great content ideas on my mind right now which I'm about to start creating and I think they will really provide value to the viewers.

The channel doesn't have any subscribers right now, I tried to make a video about the latest Elon Musk stuff going on to get the video suggested by YouTube but it didn't really work out.

The hardest thing to achieve is to get that initial audience, so youtube can test your videos' click-through rate and watch time and decide whether suggest the video or not.

I'm trying to think about ways to get my first 50-100 subs. I'm also thinking about using YouTube Ads to get an initial audience. I'm open to ideas if you have any.

ytadvertisewhyitworksbefore.jpg

Here is my first video:

I hired a professional voice over artist on Fiverr for this video but it cost me $25 and he was one of the cheapest artists on Fiverr.
Professional voice over is really expensive. I got $3700 saved up right now but I don't want to spend all my money to voice overs without earning any income from YouTube.

I'm thinking about spending around $200 to buy a good quality microphone and doing the voice overs myself. It's obviously not going to sound as professional as a voice over artist but it's going to be way more affordable and sustainable for me.

Also I'm thinking about buying Doodly for whiteboard animations to improve the general quality of my videos.. There is a $56 one-time buy opportunity right now that sounds good to me. Their monthly is $39, or $20 if you buy annually.

I'm not a native English speaker so my grammar is a whole mess. I'm using a website called grammarly to fix the grammar issues in my scripts.

I'll be updating this thread and sharing my experiences.

Any feedback is appreciated.
This is truly inspiring, congratulations keep the success up!

So how do you maintain everything around content, ideas etc etc?

Jobless

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jun 8, 2017
EU
If you want to gain an initial audience and some loyal followers, picking "business" as the channel topic is terrible. Find a much more specific niche with less competition, and do something of high quality there. Later you can broaden your topics.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
A

Anon3x156

If you want to gain an initial audience and some loyal followers, picking "business" as the channel topic is terrible. Find a much more specific niche with less competition, and do something of high quality there. Later you can broaden your topics.
Hey, thank you for the advice. This is really gold. Do you recommend choosing a sub-niche in business or a whole different category?

Eholic

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
Apr 6, 2020
United Kingdom
Good point, it seems like most people are going for the business niche and it is becoming saturated, unless it is already.

Jobless

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jun 8, 2017
EU
Hey, thank you for the advice. This is really gold. Do you recommend choosing a sub-niche in business or a whole different category?
Yes you can do a sub-niche. YouTube is so big I think you can pick very obscure topics, as long as you make it interesting.

Eholic

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
Apr 6, 2020
United Kingdom
One of my favourite YouTube channels is The Infographics Show, they not only have curious titles but they are very concise with their content and informative at the same time.

A

Anon3x156

One of my favourite YouTube channels is The Infographics Show, they not only have curious titles but they are very concise with their content and informative at the same time.
I just checked it. It's really an interesting channel honestly. They make videos about everything and still manage to get millions of views. Looks like they make every video that gets them views.

Eholic

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
Apr 6, 2020
United Kingdom
I just checked it. It's really an interesting channel honestly. They make videos about everything and still manage to get millions of views. Looks like they make every video that gets them views.
Thank you. Yeah I think those topics are still trending even these days.

A

Anon3x156

Preliminary Preparations
I haven't shared an update since about 2 weeks. I spent my time learning and trying to improve myself.
I spent some money on a good quality microphone. Sound quality is the most important thing if you want to make high quality videos. The one I bought is Rode NT USB Mini if you wonder.
I also read the @Valier 's thread. Really inspiring thread with lots of valuable information.

I also watched some videos to improve my mindset and video creating skills.

This video is pretty good:

I bought a Udemy course about Motion Graphics with After Effects so I can make better and enjoyable videos. There is also a lot of free videos on YouTube teaching awesome effects. I just bought that course to get a basic understanding of After Effects.
I don't think I'll upload a new video really soon. I really need to get my editing game up first.
Not gonna upload shit just for the sake of uploading.

Chasing Money vs Chasing Value
The toxic hustle culture and the "get rich or die trying" style rap music got me chasing money instead of value. I already knew it but it didn't really bother me at all. I didn't even realize that it was a problem. @MJ DeMarco 's comment made me realize. Even though I still know that YouTube is full of useless videos that are just made for money, being among the Youtubers that create real "value" is a better option.
Even though it's a little hard to read a book that's written in a foreign language, especially when you have attention deficit, I've read most of the TMF , not finished it yet though.

I spent some time thinking how can I create more value for my viewers so they don't regret spending their time on my video, and also come back later to watch more stuff. I really want people to feel inspired and motivated after watching my videos.
I'm gonna do this by finding interesting topics / stories and making a great video from them using my video editing and storytelling skills. I also want people to learn legit stuff, not just feel entertained or motivated. I really wanna give them something solid if that makes sense.

This is not a Fastlane business.. or is it?
If you create a personal brand on social media, you can't sell it as a whole. While you can monetize it, you can't really exit.
MrBeast makes tons of money on YouTube but he still has to spend hours making those videos. He just can't go on auto mode. Even though he has employees helping him, he still works hours and he can't just sell his channel and go into an another business. People want to see his face. He has to be in front of the camera. If he had an accident and was in the hospital for months, he wouldn't have been able to upload videos the entire time.

But my channel is not a personal channel. It doesn't carry my name and I don't show my face.
I can hire a video editor to do the editing, I can hire a scriptwriter to write the script, I can hire a voiceover artist to do the voiceover and I CAN SELL THE CHANNEL TO SOMEBODY ELSE. I don't have to be the owner.

Making Youtube videos is not the perfect idea, I know. Even though it doesn't fully follow the CENTS rules, it's one of the best things that I can do at this point of my life.

A

Anon3x156

Also, figured out that this wasn't really a good deal. The version they offer for $56 is a pretty limited version. The moment you buy it, they offer you tons of animation and image packs, each for $37. I didn't buy it but seen it on a YouTube video.
I think you should definitely stay away. Videoscribe looks like a better option if you want to make whiteboard animation videos.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.