The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Would you move to Hamburg, Germany?

fmvpinho

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jan 8, 2022
Hello fastlaners,

I have been offered a job that implies me and my family (5 year-old and partner) moving from Lisbon, Portugal to Hamburg, Germany. I am 37 years old and my husband 38. The family gross salary will increase by 35% with upside if my husband is able to get a job there as well.

We are debating a lot whether we should take this opportunity or not as we see pros and cons to it.

Pros:
- higher income that would allow us to accumulate higher savings and possibly ditch the jobs faster
- great challenge in a energy transition company that needs to build teams, processes and systems from scratch
- tipically working hours are better defined in Germany (culturally in Portugal people tend to leave the job late in the day)
- as we pursed less dependency on the jobs we took advantage of low interest rates and used our savings to invest in 3 rental properties so by selling our house we would liquidate all the loans and become debt free plus having an addition 200k€
- be exposed to a different culture and experiences

Cons:
- be away from family and friends ( we do a lot of gatherings)
- my husband will have to look for a job which could be hard as neither of us speak german (only english)
- child is about to start primary school which will be challenging and she only speaks portuguese
- we were planning on having another child shortly

Your opinion is greatly appreciated!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Robdavis

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom
If your husband would be out of work and you would be having a baby, then wouldn't you both be out of work at the same time? Or would your husband stay at home and raise your child and you would go back to work as fast as possible? Have you got a plan for this?
Would you buy a house in Germany or would you rent?
If you current child is to go to a German school and be taught entirely in German how would they cope if you don't speak German? Would you get them a language tutor or would the school provide special assistance for your child?
Does it matter to you that Hamburg will be colder than Portugal?

fmvpinho

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jan 8, 2022
If your husband would be out of work and you would be having a baby, then wouldn't you both be out of work at the same time? Or would your husband stay at home and raise your child and you would go back to work as fast as possible? Have you got a plan for this?
Would you buy a house in Germany or would you rent?
If you current child is to go to a German school and be taught entirely in German how would they cope if you don't speak German? Would you get them a language tutor or would the school provide special assistance for your child?
Hi!

We would have to delay project baby! We would rent. The child would have to go to an international school. There is one portuguese-german school in Hamburg.

Thanks!

monnffffiiiiiii

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
Oct 16, 2022
Before you read my answer, I need to establish some credentials.

- M, 28 years old, from Belgium.
- Visited all countries in Europe
- Lived in eight countries worldwide in ten years, among which 6 in Europe.
- Speak four EU languages

So when it comes to moving to an EU country, I like to think I know what I am talking about.

Now, here's my answer to your question.

(Before proceeding, I want to apologize to potential Germans reading the following answer).

--------------------------------------------------------------

No. You should not move to Germany.

For several reasons:

1. In the age of remote work, money is independent of your location. If you don't think you earn enough in Portugal, get an online job.

If your job cannot be online, get one you can do online.

Here you can learn new skills for (almost free) within 6 months and get a high-paying online job: Google Professional Certificate Training Programs | Coursera

And if you don't want to do that, build a business in Portugal.

2. Germany is not only a horrible country to visit. It's also a horrible country to live in.
  • The weather is abominable
  • The people aren't nice
  • There's a serious real estate crisis in most cities
  • It's ugly
  • Taxes are high
  • It has become dangerous over the last 10 years.
  • It's dangerously nihilistic
  • In Europe, I'd move pretty much anywhere EXCEPT Germany.

3. Germany is suffering from a serious energy crisis. They won't be able to offset the consequences of relying on Russian gas before at least 2027. The government has spent €500 billion since February 2022 in energy alone.

4. As a result of the energy crisis, Germany is deindustrializing. Germany will not grow economically in the next 4 years, but shrink.

5. Wokeness in Germany is pretty bad. It's the worst non-English-speaking country in this regard, with France.

6. German is an ugly and difficult language to learn, and you won't even go far with this - barely to Austria.

7. Germany has become a dangerous dictatorship. The government will throw you in prison if you download one movie illegally. The digital and IRL surveillance is extremely high.

These are the points against moving to Germany. Now the points for remaining in Portugal.

1. Good weather has twice the impact on mood as anti-depressants have.

2. The number one indicator of happiness in life is people. And people are a hell of a lot nicer in Portugal than they are in Germany.

3. No place like home. After living across the globe for ten years, I eventually came back to Belgium.

4. The well-being of your family: clearly, it's better for your child and husband if you stay in Portugal.

Conclusion: if you'd ask me "should I move from Germany to Portugal", my answer would have been a big YES.

I don't think anyone is bad enough in life to have to experience living in Germany.

But the other way around? Absolutely not.

I am not against moving per se. But in this situation, the only upside you get, really, is money. You lose at everything else.

Money can be hacked with an online job or with a business, which is the purpose of this forum.

Just my €0.02.

Good luck!

Last edited:

fmvpinho

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jan 8, 2022

So when it comes to moving to an EU country, I like to think I know what I am talking about.

(Before proceeding, I want to apologize to potential Germans reading the following answer).

For several reasons:

1. In the age of remote work, money is independent of your location. If you don't think you earn enough in Portugal, get an online job.

Here you can learn new skills for (almost free) within 6 months and get a high-paying online job: Google Professional Certificate Training Programs | Coursera

2. Germany is not only a horrible country to visit. It's also a horrible country to live in.
  • The people aren't nice
  • It's ugly
  • Taxes are high

3. Germany is suffering from a serious energy crisis. They won't be able to offset the consequences of relying on Russian gas before at least 2027. The government has spent €500 billion since February 2022 in energy alone.

4. As a result of the energy crisis, Germany is deindustrializing. Germany will not grow economically in the next 4 years, but shrink.

5. Wokeness in Germany is pretty bad. It's the worst non-English-speaking country in this regard, with France.

6. German is an ugly and difficult language to learn, and you won't even go far with this - barely to Austria.

7. Germany has become a dangerous dictatorship. The government will throw you in prison if you download one movie illegally. The digital and IRL surveillance is extremely high.

These are the points against moving to Germany. Now the points for remaining in Portugal.

2. The number one indicator of happiness in life is people. And people are a hell of a lot nicer in Portugal than they are in Germany.

3. No place like home. After living across the globe for ten years, I eventually came back to Belgium.

4. The well-being of your family: clearly, it's better for your child and husband if you stay in Portugal.

Conclusion: if you'd ask me "should I move from Germany to Portugal", my answer would have been a big YES.

I don't think anyone is bad enough in life to have to experience living in Germany.

I am not against moving per se. But in this situation, the only upside you get, really, is money. You lose at everything else.

Money can be hacked with an online job or with a business, which is the purpose of this forum.

Just my €0.02.

Good luck!
Thank you so much for taking the time and for such an honest opinion! It truly helps a lot!

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria

For several reasons:

• The people aren't nice
  • It's ugly
  • Taxes are high

Just my €0.02.

Good luck!
As a German: In some points you overdo a bit. But I have no argument to go to Hamburg, too.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
Hello fastlaners,

I have been offered a job that implies me and my family (5 year-old and partner) moving from Lisbon, Portugal to Hamburg, Germany. I am 37 years old and my husband 38. The family gross salary will increase by 35% with upside if my husband is able to get a job there as well.

We are debating a lot whether we should take this opportunity or not as we see pros and cons to it.

Pros:
- higher income that would allow us to accumulate higher savings and possibly ditch the jobs faster
- great challenge in a energy transition company that needs to build teams, processes and systems from scratch
- tipically working hours are better defined in Germany (culturally in Portugal people tend to leave the job late in the day)
- as we pursed less dependency on the jobs we took advantage of low interest rates and used our savings to invest in 3 rental properties so by selling our house we would liquidate all the loans and become debt free plus having an addition 200k€

Cons:
- my husband will have to look for a job which could be hard as neither of us speak german (only english)
- child is about to start primary school which will be challenging and she only speaks portuguese

Depends on how far away you are from your goal of financial freedom.

If your strategy is to save your way to accumulate rental properties, is 35 percent pay rise worth the hassle?

piano

Trying to find the right notes
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
Sep 21, 2022
Germany

For several reasons:

• The people aren't nice
  • It's ugly
  • Taxes are high

Just my €0.02.

Good luck!
I disagree with the language part, I think it's one of the most beautiful languages.
However everything else is pretty spot on and have to agree on!
Great post!

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
I disagree with the language part, I think it's one of the most beautiful languages.
However everything else is pretty spot on and have to agree on!
Great post!
I live in Germany more than a half century and NO . German has nice slangs, but German itself is an acurate language, but it is not beautiful!

piano

Trying to find the right notes
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
Sep 21, 2022
Germany
I live in Germany more than a half century and NO . German has nice slangs, but German itself is an acurate language, but it is not beautiful!
I feel like there could break out a war between us any moment lmfao. I don't know man, I think if you speak very poetically, then you can dominate most languages imo. Example:
Ich dacht', dass wir eine schöne Sprache sprechen. Eine, die trotz unseren Charakters und Wortgebrauch in Schimmern geraten könnte! Denn so lebensfroh wir sein können, wenn wir ein Bierchen vermahlen, so können wir wohl auch doch in den Gebrauch von klanglichem Bier 'n Genuss kommen.

Although maybe it's just the few words that I really like, e.g:
Unverfälscht
liebewollend
Federleicht
Ertüchtigt

That's just my cup of beer though.

Kokaka

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Aug 9, 2019
Hello fastlaners,

Pros:

Cons:

If I would you, I would investigate the real estate market in portugal and see if you can do something fun there, might be able to make alot of money and you have experience in this field.
Also alot of people moving to Portugal from Scandinavia because covid changed the world in that people now can work online, and prefer a warmer county with a scandinavian salary.
Many move to Lissabon and Porto.
Hmm might nit be a bad ida will research. Maybie even make an office and housing solution for ex telemarketers from Germany/Scandinavia. The CEO will limit the salary and taxes by mounting business abroad. Just an idea I recieved. Need too look into this.

Anyway. About your moving conundrun.
I have alot of experience with Brazilians moving to the EU in search of a better life.
However I have found out that alot are haveing trouble learning the language (You speak english, it helps), become isolated, having trouble finding friends. Become sad, start to miss friends and family and go back to Brazil. Even though salary here is way higher.

If you get a high paying job however, the distance to friends and family decreses dramatic. Peoplw always think distance but you have to think time. Time is ofset by money because you can travel by plane. Would not surprise me if its faster to fly from Germany to Portugal than taking the train between Porto and Lissabon.

However, another option could be the following.
You have a skill that businesses in outher countries want. See if its possiblw to this job or similar online. Stay in Portugal with Portuguese living expenses and have a Greman salary (or any other, higher paying country for that matter).
Maybie you will earn less but your net profit each mont increase due to halved living costs.

My 2 cents

fmvpinho

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jan 8, 2022
Depends on how far away you are from your goal of financial freedom.

If your strategy is to save your way to accumulate rental properties, is 35 percent pay rise worth the hassle?
Probably not!

fmvpinho

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jan 8, 2022
If I would you, I would investigate the real estate market in portugal and see if you can do something fun there, might be able to make alot of money and you have experience in this field.
Also alot of people moving to Portugal from Scandinavia because covid changed the world in that people now can work online, and prefer a warmer county with a scandinavian salary.
Many move to Lissabon and Porto.
Hmm might nit be a bad ida will research. Maybie even make an office and housing solution for ex telemarketers from Germany/Scandinavia. The CEO will limit the salary and taxes by mounting business abroad. Just an idea I recieved. Need too look into this.

Anyway. About your moving conundrun.
I have alot of experience with Brazilians moving to the EU in search of a better life.
However I have found out that alot are haveing trouble learning the language (You speak english, it helps), become isolated, having trouble finding friends. Become sad, start to miss friends and family and go back to Brazil. Even though salary here is way higher.

If you get a high paying job however, the distance to friends and family decreses dramatic. Peoplw always think distance but you have to think time. Time is ofset by money because you can travel by plane. Would not surprise me if its faster to fly from Germany to Portugal than taking the train between Porto and Lissabon.

However, another option could be the following.
You have a skill that businesses in outher countries want. See if its possiblw to this job or similar online. Stay in Portugal with Portuguese living expenses and have a Greman salary (or any other, higher paying country for that matter).
Maybie you will earn less but your net profit each mont increase due to halved living costs.

My 2 cents
Thanks! I appreciate this!

Happyheart

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Dec 11, 2020
The cost of living may be a lot higher than you think, eating up your pay raise and visiting family in Portugal will also incur extra cost. If you move to Germany move to former eastern Germany because of the low housing prices and affordable (state pays 2/3) daycare. I would not have my child be in a portugese school while living abroad, you can alway have language lessons yourself, but where do you have the opportunity to learn language immersively?

Also, I cannot imagine the Portugese working harder than the Germans when I look at their population and economy, but that could just be me being prejudiced.

The Germans don‘t have much humor, it is true to an extent.

So you have to consider everything and make your own decision.

P.S.
I am a non-German living in Germany and agree with most comments made above.

monnffffiiiiiii

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
Oct 16, 2022

Bingo

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England
When I was in Munich in the summer at no point did I think what horrible weather, what an ugly country and what dreadful people. Quite the contrary.

Regards the language.

Kolnische Wasser v Eau de Cologne. :smile2:

Dan

c23r

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jan 24, 2022
Earth
  • The language is mostly a problem outside of work.
  • Don't use too much logic, just follow your heart.
  • Checkout if there are meetup groups, and contact them, ask them for their experience.
  • Ask yourself: Is this a just temporary thing, or a permanent one? A lot of people move back after 3.5 years.
  • Do not break ties to your home country, if this is only temporary, or if you don't know.
EDIT:
I contemplated a bit more about it. You said: "5 year-old and partner"
Ask your child. Is he/she happy about it? There would be much less contact to great parents and family. Young children can be very sensitive at this age. Unless he/she is very happy to go on this adventure, I would not do it.

Last edited:

Kokaka

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Aug 9, 2019
You can also look into it from an economy point of wiew.
Calculate the living expenses for you and your family for both Portugal and Germany.
Chanses are you might actually lose money if you take this job due to higher living costs. Portugal is very cheap.

polaroid22

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Oct 26, 2021

For several reasons:

• The people aren't nice
  • It's ugly
  • Taxes are high

Just my €0.02.

Good luck!
Great answer! I am from Belgium as well. Checked out the coursera link, as only working online/remote sounds great. But can you recommend certain websites to find actual jobs? (Already work in IT atm)

monnffffiiiiiii

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
Oct 16, 2022
Great answer! I am from Belgium as well. Checked out the coursera link, as only working online/remote sounds great. But can you recommend certain websites to find actual jobs? (Already work in IT atm)

Flexjobs
Angellist
Remoteok
Remote.co
Justremote
Virtualvocations
Pangian
Weworkremotely
Remotive
Skipthedrive
Workingnomads
Jobspresso
Jobscribe
Outsourcely
Europeremotely
Nodesk
Letsworkremotely
Hubstaff Talent
Flexa Careers

polaroid22

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Oct 26, 2021
Flexjobs
Angellist
Remoteok
Remote.co
Justremote
Virtualvocations
Pangian
Weworkremotely
Remotive
Skipthedrive
Workingnomads
Jobspresso
Jobscribe
Outsourcely
Europeremotely
Nodesk
Letsworkremotely
Hubstaff Talent
Flexa Careers
whoah thanks, that's a a huge list! Do you work remotely yourself? Have you used these sites before?

Thanks!

monnffffiiiiiii

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
Oct 16, 2022
whoah thanks, that's a a huge list! Do you work remotely yourself? Have you used these sites before?

Thanks!
I used to, until I was fired a few weeks ago.

Now the problem is that I can earn money on Medium + I am building a biz right now and am trying to raise money, so I don't really feel like looking for another job....but then idk, doesn't feel right somehow. Feels a bit too easy.

You can also check out MeetFrank (an app), Remoteur, Daily Remote, and Remote Weekly which are newsletters.

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Sep 11, 2018
My first question would be: why Germany? Any special reason? Why not a country where you can function in English?

I disagree with some points made above (horrible weather? Just like everywhere above Spain, including Belgium), but I agree that there's something that smells fishy in Germany. It's not a country I'd want to move to, after having my sister living there for a long time. I don't want to offend anyone, but Germany has a lot of BS marketing. They say they are "efficient", yet they've got the most chaotic admin I've seen in my life (not very digital, tons of stupid big mistakes, very slow). That plus trains thay run like my arse, with constant cancellations, change of bus of routes without notifying customers, and a long etc. My sister has been suffering their "efficiency" for over a decade. It's all marketing, they are a decade behind in efficiency.
It used to be a country where quality of life felt at the top of the bar. But now there is a lot of weird people on the streets. I agree that it doesn't feel safe anymore.

Have you considered Amsterdam? I've only been there for a weekend, but it felt like the good old Germany in terms of quality of life, safety and polite, friendly and chill people. I've visited Brussels and Paris as well, I didn't like them much. But I'd gladly move to Amsterdam if it was time for a change.

I wouldn't move anywhere unless more boxes are ticked. Having kids and husband is a lot to consider.

Tommo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Jan 21, 2018
Perth Australia
Having lived in Hamburg in the eighties my opinion is it was a fantastic city, clean, great people (as far as city folk can be great) and lots to do.
I think you will find it very expensive and with high taxation.
The EU has a stranglehold over Germany so I would not consider it an option today.
Summers were great but winter was brutal.
You really need to learn the language though if you do proceed.

fmvpinho

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jan 8, 2022
My first question would be: why Germany? Any special reason? Why not a country where you can function in English?

I disagree with some points made above (horrible weather? Just like everywhere above Spain, including Belgium), but I agree that there's something that smells fishy in Germany. It's not a country I'd want to move to, after having my sister living there for a long time. I don't want to offend anyone, but Germany has a lot of BS marketing. They say they are "efficient", yet they've got the most chaotic admin I've seen in my life (not very digital, tons of stupid big mistakes, very slow). That plus trains thay run like my arse, with constant cancellations, change of bus of routes without notifying customers, and a long etc. My sister has been suffering their "efficiency" for over a decade. It's all marketing, they are a decade behind in efficiency.
It used to be a country where quality of life felt at the top of the bar. But now there is a lot of weird people on the streets. I agree that it doesn't feel safe anymore.

Have you considered Amsterdam? I've only been there for a weekend, but it felt like the good old Germany in terms of quality of life, safety and polite, friendly and chill people. I've visited Brussels and Paris as well, I didn't like them much. But I'd gladly move to Amsterdam if it was time for a change.

I wouldn't move anywhere unless more boxes are ticked. Having kids and husband is a lot to consider.
That was the job offer. I was not considering moving until now. Thanks for sharing your view.

Einfamilienhaus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Feb 8, 2019
Germany is like a mediocre company. You get mediocre pay, but at the same time no one expects you to excel.

If you want to have a safe ball professionally and strive for security, you are definitely in good hands in Germany. However, as soon as you aim for higher positions, you have to deal with outdated structures.

German society is structured in orders. If you want to break out of the previously determined order, you will not be happy in Germany. To understand, it takes an estimated 6 generations in Germany for someone to move up to the next higher income bracket.

Moreover, in Germany it is only worthwhile to start a career with a higher education degree. If you are dependent on Germany to get your education to achieve a higher social advancement, then good night.

As an example: In Germany, prospective medical students can wait about 10 years for a place at university. If I have a medical degree abroad outside of Europe, I have to renew it in Germany by catching up on my studies. But at the same time, I take away the limited study places for applicants who have been trained in the German education system.

To put it in a nutshell: If you come from low-income areas, Germany is a good bet. But you will find that your children who grow up there will have an extremely hard time. There is no good social permeability there.

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Sep 11, 2018
That was the job offer. I was not considering moving until now. Thanks for sharing your view.
That makes sense. I'd still look into other places though, given you are able to get a job offer from abroad. But, as some said above, consider the cost of moving family over in terms of social integration and a getting a job for your husband.

If this helps: I moved abroad multiple times and I don't regret. But if I had family to take with me, that'd probably be a different story and I'd probably rather stay in my home country (given I was really settled there) and look for a remote job with a better pay than what you get in a Mediterranean country. The lower cost of living plus having friends and family closer, together with a remote job pay that most locals can't dream of, is to me a nobrainer. You'd be able to invest extra money. Unless the adventure aspect is top of the list (living abroad can be a great experience by itself).

Best of luck :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.