The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Why does everyone want to get there so fast?

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
All these goals about making millions before 25, 30 or 1 year or 15 months... Why does everyone want to get there so fast?

Part of the fun is getting there. Ask yourself, if you got to your goal today, what would you be doing differently? I bet you would still be talking about the same things, except maybe doing it in a nicer home or car. But ultimately, your day to day would be the same (this is assuming that you work for yourself).

Making money is not something that you just turn off. If you acquire the skills to make $5m, you don't just say, "well I'm here. I'm just going to sit around for the next 20 years." You will probably use your knowledge and begin another business after you get bored of retirement. If this is the case, then really what difference does it make if you reach that point at 25, 30 or 35?

My point is to enjoy the journey because most of your life will be inside that journey.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Skys

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Dec 20, 2011
The Netherlands
I realised my 'why' to this question this week. I am 29 years old and just finishing at the university. I failed education after education and my study loan is high. I hated school but I thought I had determination. Education was the way. I wanted to help people and to do that I needed an diploma.

After reading MJs book I realised how stupid I have been wasting so much time while I could have gotten to my goal without education. I think I wanted to rush things to make up for all my mistakes in the past 8 years! And do that within 'so-and-so' years.
I have two big goals now:
1. Have a major impact in the lives of peoples
2. Give my family the legend in the deserves (I am the last of my family, the only one who can keep the family-name alive)

Lots of limiting believes to defeat ('being to old' is one of them). But these goals are way bigger then the 'little me' (ego). I am going to make a major impact in the lives of people.

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Jun 29, 2011
Why does everyone want to get there so fast?

You know that feeling of driving, say, a silver Ferrari down the road with your hair blowing in the wind? Well...I don't. :smug2:

Personally, I've spent the past 20 years of my life craving super cars, mansions, yachts and private jets. Over the past six months, my craving for things like that have all but disappeared (with the exception of owning a Ferrari). Now, I crave, more than anything, succeeding in business so I feel like I can succeed at anything. If I end up creating a business that makes millions of dollars, you're right, I wouldn't stop. But I would also like to drive my Ferrari before I get my license taken away due to a broken hip and bad eyesight. Ultimately, I'd like to take what I learned from the first success and apply it to a business in a different arena to both prove to myself that I can be successful at any business and challenge myself with something new. I don't think I've posted anything about making millions within a time frame like that, but that is my sincere reasoning behind wanting it to happen.

I do agree that people that aren't "there" yet sometimes try to push things to happen too fast, but I also think it's part of the learning process. Some people have to be told by people such as yourself that they need to slow their roll and have fun during the process. Then we feel like idiots for a minute, digest what you said, and adjust our beliefs and actions based on what we've learned.

Skys

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Dec 20, 2011
The Netherlands
1. Commit or don't commit. No half-measures
2. Cut loose from all negative influences
3. Choose the right mountain.
4. Fear nothing
5. Start now
6. Go!

This is from Felix Dennis. He calls it 'the upside-down pyramid of getting rich'. Its supposed to be a pyramid, lol. but MJ has no CENTER function in his forum(???)

So. I am fully committed. Yes. I am. I have 100% commitment to becoming someone of MASS value. Each day I see how limiting believes start to evaporate and get replaced by thoughts that help me. I don't have any negative influences. I Have a supportive mother, who really stands behind everything I want to. My girlfriend is the same. The sidewalkers in my life, i just meet them once in a while because they have been friends for over 10 years now. They have no negative influence. We talk music, we play cards. Its fun.

I have become fearless. I had this realisation some time ago. I lost a good friend when I was 12, then another one when I was 15. My dad has been found dead in his appartment when I was just 18. At 21 my uncle died, who partly raised me. I AM GOING TO DIE. F*ck it.
Then, if you realise how HARD it has been for me to lose my dad at that age... F*ck failure. F*ck hurting. I know what HURT really is. I spit it in the face and come back stronger. I had a shitty life and i use it as a strength.

For me. 3.. 5 and 6 are the reasons i feel anxious about wanting it to happen 'now'. START NOW. With what? I am fully committed but I don't have an idea (event) and I have only small process (finishing my education is one of them = no study loans). I am not working on a website. I am not writing an ebook... I just try to listen to what others has to say. Their complaints etc.
This is also partly because of the 'choose the right mountain' part, which kind of is related to MJs philosophy that 'doing what you love' and 'doing what you know' doesn't make success.

I am in the process of starting. A lot of things are just a F*cking waste of TIME. Learning how to code? Come on. I read the outsource vs learning to code thread. It's insane to start to learn how to code if your goal is to bring a need to the market. DELAGATE. Writing a book? I LOVE WRITING. But, competition is BIG. HUGE. Entry... No GO. I also would HATE to see something I love turned into something I HATE. I rather become the next shit-digger then turning a love into a hate.
So... Me wanting to get to millions NOW.. or within 6 years ..is not really the thing I AM after. What I am after is MY mountain. As Felix calls it 'the money with MY name on it'.

I think, with me, there are a lot of people on this forum that has that same thing. In the process of choosing the right mountain. Wanting to start but not really having anything to START with. That leads to anxiety and that leads to WANTING it NOW..and becoming an consumer of getting rich quick books...
With a limited mindset, you will have limited results. At the moment, I am just breaking out my way from consumer to producer. My mindset is too limited I am too blame for that.

I dont even want to become a MILLIONAIR within now and x, i want to do something for PEOPLE within x. Time is limited. My dad proved it too me. My buddy proved it.. Thats the driving force that makes me scream: WHAT CAN I DO

little rant, but probably not the only one here that have these thoughts.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
I'm sick and tired of being broke, thats why I want to get there quick. But like Skys, I can't wait to get my product out there as it will provide great value for a lot of people. I'm definitely enjoying the process and value the experience more than just the financial rewards I will (hopefully) get in a few years.

LamboMP

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Aug 13, 2007
Toronto
All these goals about making millions before 25, 30 or 1 year or 15 months... Why does everyone want to get there so fast?

I mostly hear this from YOUNG PEOPLE, in the 16-20 year age bracket. Once maturity hits in, they realize that there is more to life than money, and this kind of talk declines rapidly. Things like family values trump a "get to 5 mil before 25" goal.

AcquireCurrency

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Jul 20, 2011
I think it's pretty obvious. Why make $5m in 15 years if you have the potential to do it in 5 years?

No doubt I will enjoy the business process, but I want the security and freedom money brings as early as possible in my life. I will probably continue with business ventures and such even when I am rich.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
I love the process. It's fun. I woke up at 2 AM because something was bothering me about the copy on my website, lol.

I'm insane.

I want the freedom of money, as soon as I can, but at the same time, I love the process, even the parts that I hate.

Determined2012

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jun 22, 2012
Chicago, IL
@BioPhase,

I want to get there as fast as humanly possible for one very specific desire only: I'd rather have 60 years to live the life that I have imagined, versus 20 years. I would also rather live the life that I have imagined while I am at my best health and still have the highest level of enthusiasm and zest for life.

I am almost 30 (28 years old).

I want to reach my goal at or before I am 35. Setting this timeline incites in me focus, determination, hope, possibility, drive, desire, passion, persistence, and the excitement to have something to look forward to that is going to (hopefully) change my life and those around me for the better.

911Carrera

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Aug 1, 2011

Part of the fun is getting there. Ask yourself, if you got to your goal today, what would you be doing differently? I bet you would still be talking about the same things, except maybe doing it in a nicer home or car. But ultimately, your day to day would be the same (this is assuming that you work for yourself).

Making money is not something that you just turn off. If you acquire the skills to make $5m, you don't just say, "well I'm here. I'm just going to sit around for the next 20 years." You will probably use your knowledge and begin another business after you get bored of retirement. If this is the case, then really what difference does it make if you reach that point at 25, 30 or 35?

My point is to enjoy the journey because most of your life will be inside that journey.

Easy for you to say when you're already there bro. You can't expect people in undesirable living situations to enjoy their journey instead of trying to get there fast. With money you can enjoy the journey of creating and running businesses without lots of stress. If you have a good enough income (like 75k/year in a major city)to live a decent life and have fun then I say enjoy the journey and don't rush but that's not the case for most.

Whole Paradigm

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Nov 15, 2011
The truth? I'm afraid that if I hit that point of wealth when I'm 90 I won't be able to enjoy it. I'm aware of my own mortality and for that reason there is always a bit of anxiety as a result of awareness of my own ticking clock. Also, I'm not yet mature enough to fully realize that wealth REALLY doesn't matter. No matter how many Zen books I read...

For me, when I stop chasing the gold at the end of the rainbow, I'll probably find the gold... But that takes time to correct, like all bad habits.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Also, I'm not yet mature enough to fully realize that wealth REALLY doesn't matter. No matter how many Zen books I read...

It's not about what money says, it's about what money does. At least that is how I see it.

leono

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Apr 12, 2012
I've by and large (but not completely) got rid of deadlines for my goals. They just don't work for me. Instead what I do is put deadlines on the tasks I need to do, which has been much more effective and fun.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
You only get to live once. Why not do it as soon as you can?

Because we are all doing it every day!

But saying what you did, you imply that you aren't really living now, but will be REALLY living once you've made it. So if you get there in 2 years, does that mean you just wasted the past 2 years not really living?

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I think it's pretty obvious. Why make $5m in 15 years if you have the potential to do it in 5 years?

No doubt I will enjoy the business process, but I want the security and freedom money brings as early as possible in my life. I will probably continue with business ventures and such even when I am rich.

Because when you get there in 5 years, like you said you will continue doing the same for the next 10 years. I'm not saying do it slowly, but it seems like everyone has self pressure to do it fast. If you pressure yourself for that speed and growth to the point where it's no fun, it's probably not worth it.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Easy for you to say when you're already there bro. You can't expect people in undesirable living situations to enjoy their journey instead of trying to get there fast. With money you can enjoy the journey of creating and running businesses without lots of stress. If you have a good enough income (like 75k/year in a major city)to live a decent life and have fun then I say enjoy the journey and don't rush but that's not the case for most.

My point is that if you pressure yourselves into huge money goals in tight timeframes that you may miss many "smaller" opportunities and you may also put too much stress on yourself. Getting there fast, doesn't mean that you live like crap until that day. Your business grows and you may increase your standard of living if you want.

The reason I made this post is not because I'm "there". Truth is that I was always "there" in my mind since 2005. I never had a desire to make tons of money. I remember sitting with MJ at a bar in 2007 and I told him that I've always wanted a Ferrari. He told me that I'll never get one because I don't have the drive to make money anymore. And that was true. I never thought I would be able to get a Ferrari. I didn't care about the fastlane at all.

What I did have was a simple easy life on less than $30k a year and alot of freedom. I created my business as a hobby. It's goal was to make $50/day to see if I could do it. Instead, I created value for my customers because I didn't concentrate on the bottom line.

Looking back... if my goal was to make $1,000,000. I would have kicked the ghillie suit idea to the curb. I mean who goes into a niche with 1800 searches a month expecting to make $1m? Read Irman's post about $1k to $700k in 18 months. He did it as a hobby also. I doubt he was thinking he'd do $700k either.

I really do think that the timeline pressure can break your business. Sometimes people make poor decisions because of just the bottom line and wanting to increase growth. If you focus on profits (which people tend to do with money goal deadlines) vs. value and customer service it will hinder your business.

Sorry, I have to cut this post short... I'll finish it up later tonight.

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Jun 29, 2011
Looking back... if my goal was to make $1,000,000. I would have kicked the ghillie suit idea to the curb. I mean who goes into a niche with 1800 searches a month expecting to make $1m?

Great point.

Shuffle

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Nov 8, 2011
Manhasset, NY
Because the best revenge is to live well :)

Half kidding but in all seriousness, it's just human nature to do so whether you are rich or poor. It just comes down to how well you have learned to control your own realizations and perceptions of these things.

Good example would be working out. We all start off asking what's the best way, how can I get results fast, how can I recover fast, what's the best movement etc. If you still have the motivational fire burning in you after trying out as a beginner, you learn over time through the actual action of working out, that you just have to work it out yourself and that there is no best way for everyone. You set your foundation of how you can attain this and that, after having tried something first. After that, you say "I know this pain that I'm going through, will only give me rewards" because you SEE what you want and KNOW what you have to do to get there.

So as to why people want to attain wealth/riches so fast, is because they are unsure of what they are doing at that very moment.

911Carrera

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Aug 1, 2011
My point is that if you pressure yourselves into huge money goals in tight timeframes that you may miss many "smaller" opportunities and you may also put too much stress on yourself. Getting there fast, doesn't mean that you live like crap until that day. Your business grows and you may increase your standard of living if you want.

The reason I made this post is not because I'm "there". Truth is that I was always "there" in my mind since 2005. I never had a desire to make tons of money. I remember sitting with MJ at a bar in 2007 and I told him that I've always wanted a Ferrari. He told me that I'll never get one because I don't have the drive to make money anymore. And that was true. I never thought I would be able to get a Ferrari. I didn't care about the fastlane at all.

What I did have was a simple easy life on less than $30k a year and alot of freedom. I created my business as a hobby. It's goal was to make $50/day to see if I could do it. Instead, I created value for my customers because I didn't concentrate on the bottom line.

Looking back... if my goal was to make $1,000,000. I would have kicked the ghillie suit idea to the curb. I mean who goes into a niche with 1800 searches a month expecting to make $1m? Read Irman's post about $1k to $700k in 18 months. He did it as a hobby also. I doubt he was thinking he'd do $700k either.

I really do think that the timeline pressure can break your business. Sometimes people make poor decisions because of just the bottom line and wanting to increase growth. If you focus on profits (which people tend to do with money goal deadlines) vs. value and customer service it will hinder your business.

That's just another way of seeing things, this might work for you, but it won't work for me and many others. You don't care about making lots of money, you're fine with making enough to live and you enjoy the work more than the money and the money just comes to you. That's fine and a lot of people succeed that way.. But having a strong drive and being hungry for more is also another way most people succeed and it is a big part of what drives this economy and why America is the most powerful country in the world.

I don't think there is anything wrong with wanting a certain amount of money by a certain age. It's goal setting and it helps people achieve great things. Being satisfied and not hungry will hurt your business more than being aggressive. Stay hungry my friends.

Skys

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Dec 20, 2011
The Netherlands

What I hear here is, a lot of people here are actually 'chasing money' while you where 'chasing needs'?
The 'rush' of getting there ASAP is actually a kind of selfish approach. He or she wants a business that makes a lot of money SOOOO they need to find a need. What I find interesting in the books from Richard Branson, that he never got into business to become an entrepreneur. He just wanted to make something that made the lifes of people more fun. Felix Dennis wanted to be filthy rich, but he did not force himself into business. He just saw 'a mountain' and did it.

I think when people hear things like "You need to be fully committed" they feel like they should force things to happen. Another day wasted is another day wasted. Damnit, yesterday I still didn't come up with a need that can be solved. Another day closer of poorness. But, what all sucessful entrepreneurs seem to have in common is a very good ability too listen and act uppon what they hear. They did not force an business uppon others. They listened and based their business on what they heard. They didn't FORCE a need to be solved. They just did, because they really listened. They didn't force themselve to listen.

I think a lot of people here hate to admit it, but I think it's true. A lot of people are still in the chasing money phase, where they realise they need to fulfill a need to get that money. It's a bit like being at a party and knowing how to get a cat on your lap. You get a cat on your lap by not giving it any attention. So now you want the cat on your lap. What are you going to do? You are going to force yourself not giving the cat any attention. Its fake. Your still giving it attention by forcing yourself not giving it attention.The cat knows, she stays away

Goals like "I want to be a millionair before" are money chasing goals. You WANT money BEFORE this or that. Thats why people like you have a bigger chance of succeeding. You just really LOVE the process. Not the process of chasing money (you can love a process like that aswell). No, you seem to LOVE to build a business. Felix Dennis LOVED that process. Branson LOVED that process. MJ LOVED that process.

So, in a way. MJ has it wrong. He says "do what you love" won't make you rich. That's not true. You need to LOVE building a process and being an entrepreneur. Thats something you truly LOVE or it will not happen because you will FAKE the "I am not chasing money" and answering a NEED is always something you NEED to be doing to get there.

Pete799p

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Aug 18, 2011
What I hear here is, a lot of people here are actually 'chasing money' while you where 'chasing needs'?

I agree with this statement but it seems to me that the more experience I have in business the more I learn that the most important part is to be in business. There have been a lot of ideas that I have had over the years that I did not think filled a need or I just underestimated how many in the market had the need. I like the idea of testing as fast as you can for as little money as possible and then adjusting. It seems like BIO started his site to make x amount of money. As it turned out the need was greater then he expected and his value added was too. He listened and reacted very well to the situation and made a great business out of it.

I think what people really need to do is not look for the next million dollar idea but just look for the next idea. Then build it and test it as quickly as possible for as little money as possible. Set small easier to achieve goals like I am going to make $10 a day then $50 dollars a day etc. Eventually you will be making some serious coin if you can keep growing your goals or you move on to the next idea.

EastWind

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Oct 31, 2009
USA

I personally want to make it fast so I can enjoy it in my youth! Better to have $5million when you are 30yrs than when you are 70yrs old!

EastWind

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Oct 31, 2009
USA
I mostly hear this from YOUNG PEOPLE, in the 16-20 year age bracket. Once maturity hits in, they realize that there is more to life than money, and this kind of talk declines rapidly. Things like family values trump a "get to 5 mil before 25" goal.

Yeah, because they dare to dream and dream big. Is it maturity keeping adults from talking like that or is it fear and experience of failure and being jaded by past experiences? I love to hear the youth talk about wanting to move mountains! I love to hear about the "impossibilities" I'm older and cautious and I hate it, I yearn to be like I was when I was 15. When I dreamed I could move the world over night! That's what it takes, what's what we need. Call it youth, and it's great. That enthusiam combined with experience!? Wooooo! can't be stopped

Skys

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Dec 20, 2011
The Netherlands
Biophase, I am still waiting for the rest of your comment from page 1. Very interested!

thomashoi

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
375%
Apr 3, 2012
Singapore
The title caught my attention. I heard somebody says something like this:"If you are not impacting people's lives positively, you are probably wasting life!"

At the end of the day, it's not about the money we are really interested in although it can buy us time freedom. I think the more important thing is to help each and everyone on earth to have a better life, to create something they already have the talents to do so.

Will $1 million mades me happy, Yes, but that is temporary... I'm happy when someones come up to me and says how my actions have helped them to become a better person, to fully utilize their potential to serve mankind.

I'm a Singaporean and I'm amazed at how people in my country are still so crazy about paper qualifications and the parents literally send their kids for extra classes as young as 3 years plus.... I mean that will be stealing their childhood... failing in National exams as young as 12 years old mean that you are destined for failure.... So some parents spend more than $10,000 to prepare their children for the exams at 12.

But nobody questions the fact that a degree does not guarantee a JOB especially during recession, but on the flip side it's during recession the entrepreneurs are born... millionaires are created in these tough times....

And so I have a mission to educate my fellow people that a degree is not everything and our country needs entrepreneurs badly. But who the heck would believe me without any track records? SO i need to get to the fastlane fast... Sell my company for $10 million and became the overnight success story to be talked about in my country and I can share how I started my company from a $69 investment on a shoe string budget... without a degree...

With the extra cash on hand, I can start an investment company to invest in teenage entrepreneurs who have great ideas but lack the funding to start/continue their business. The reason I'm targeting teens (14-16yr old) is because at that age, they don't know what the heck is failure, they got the energy, are hungry and can keep going and going.... also they have not been brain washed by university lecturers who teach them about business when they themselves have not made a dime outside their job.

Blessings,
Thomas

Last edited:

unsteeled101

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Nov 1, 2011
I love making money :) furthermore I enjoy the process of doing it.
Furthermore I live in a poor country, and the only way to help unfortunate people in my country is not by giving them money on the street but
I have to step up so that I can help them in a larger scale.

Like foods, schools and proper housing they all need money.
'finger cross' hopefully I will be there :)

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Biophase, I am still waiting for the rest of your comment from page 1. Very interested!

Hi Skys,

Sorry about the break, I had to leave for 4th of July stuff and haven't gotten back to this forum until now.

So there are really two reasons I made this post:

I feel that when you are trying to get there fast:

You miss out on opportunities
You don't enjoy the ride
You make bad business decisions

Missed Opportunities

So let's imagine that you are 18 and your goal is to make $1 million by 22. When you are young, 4 years can't come quick enough, you work your a$$ off and hit your $1m goal and are super happy. Take a look at the end point, you have $1m at 22 years old. That's awesome right?

My issue is that if you start with that endpoint in mind, you may say to yourself "I need to make $250k a year for 4 years". There is now pressure to pick a business that you think can get you to your goal.

Suppose you had to choose between: Making an Iphone app or Your mom's awesome apple pie

What do you choose? Well, we know that apple pie is hard as hell to scale. Maybe your mom can only make 10 pies a day and you might be opening a shitty slowlane business.

If you focus money at this point you would probably overlook a great business opportunity here. Because you've just read TMF and you have a super high goal, you dismiss a potential business because you think it can't make you enough money to get you to your goal.

I have seen many people build million dollar businesses by starting out small with goals that were small or non-monetary. There was no huge goal in front of them when they started. Many people just want some spending money or just want to cover their mortgage. Then what happens? They end up quitting their day jobs to work on the business... etc...

I have seen others do nothing because every opportunity that came by wasn't "big" enough.

I think that this is the biggest problem I see here. I'm guilty of it. In my post about the dog toy subscription (https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/internet-mobile-apps-software/38158-free-business-idea.html) site, I dismissed it because I felt it's potential was too low. I think about doing this idea pretty much every time I've given my dog a new toy. I could just launch this biz for fun. There would be no business goals for this. The goal would be to give dogs around the USA more toys and make them happy. Maybe it will make me $10k a year or maybe it will $400k a year, who knows.

You Dont Enjoy the Ride

Alot of times as MJ says, we sacrifice our weekends and time at the bars because we are working on our business. I am all for working hard and sacrificing. But there needs to be a balance. There's no reason you should miss a weekend trip with your buddies because you need to redo your website unless you have a real deadline.

But if the deadline is self imposed, don't miss out on experiences for your business! What happens if your website remains the same until next week? What's the downside? This example is at a micro level.

But a self imposed deadline of millions of dollars by age XX can affect you just the same. So ask yourself, what happens if you make millions of dollars at age XX+2?

You make bad business decisions

This is a tough one to write about with examples, but I personally believe it and see it happen every day. I know that when I start to count the money and concentrate on profits that I tend to skew to the business decision that makes more money when it's probably not the "best" solution. I've always caught myself doing this and bounced back. I've also noticed that the dollars come in alot more freely when you don't focus on them.

I run a business where I literally don't care about profits or losses. My main focus is 100% customer driven all the time. I do things that lose money, but help customers. The money doesn't even cross my mind at all. I get paid once a year. New customers come in droves, many are referrals, many read reviews online. It's pretty incredible to see, but it proves in my mind that customer centric focus works.

Last edited by a moderator:

santa

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Jul 15, 2011
UK
It's complicated and not always easy to know the right balance I think.This edited audio from Alan Watts relates a lot to whats being said;

[video=youtube;ERbvKrH-GC4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERbvKrH-GC4[/video]

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.