The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Where to learn sales?

stefanlazar

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Dec 28, 2022
Romania
Hey Fastlaners!

I want to learn selling, but I don't actually know any good places to do so! I'm thinking of reading some books (If you have any recommendations, please let me know) and I wanted to ask you what you think the best place (online page/books/other) for learning is?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Hey Fastlaners!

I want to learn selling, but I don't actually know any good places to do so! I'm thinking of reading some books (If you have any recommendations, please let me know) and I wanted to ask you what you think the best place (online page/books/other) for learning is?
I suggest not making it your goal to "learn". The market doesn't pay for your learning. Consider making it your goal to help people, and then help people and get paid.

I can't remember reading any sales books.

Below is my take on sales.

TL;DR
1) Find out what people want to buy.
2) Sell to the people who want to buy it.

Controversial thought: sales training is to get employees to think like business owners.

Some braindumps:

stefanlazar

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Dec 28, 2022
Romania
I suggest not making it your goal to "learn". The market doesn't pay for your learning. Consider making it your goal to help people, and then help people and get paid.

TL;DR

Controversial thought: sales training is to get employees to think like business owners.

Some braindumps:

Thank you for the recommendations and for the braindumps! Your reply made me realise a few things, like not having to know any sales if I'm selling EXACTLY what people want to buy. Even though it sounds simple, it's not that easy to comprehend!

Although, I don't want to learn sales just in order to make money (even though it could help), but for other things. From what I know, selling is used in A LOT of daily things: human relationships, selling yourself/your resolve, entertainment and other things. I want to learn sales as a general life skill that's good to have.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Thank you for the recommendations and for the braindumps! Your reply made me realise a few things, like not having to know any sales if I'm selling EXACTLY what people want to buy. Even though it sounds simple, it's not that easy to comprehend!

Although, I don't want to learn sales just in order to make money (even though it could help), but for other things. From what I know, selling is used in A LOT of daily things: human relationships, selling yourself/your resolve, entertainment and other things. I want to learn sales as a general life skill that's good to have.
Every person I've met who's been formally trained in sales seemed to have a hard time relating to people. Same with marketers who talk incessantly about traffic and conversions.

Imo you'll do better to understand people, and how to make friends, build relationships, and create win-wins.

This forum is a good place to start. Observe how different people communicate and build relationships differently, and the different results they get.

Engage in public and private conversations, and improve your communication skills and empathy.

Just my 2c.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
May I suggest you go through the first row of links in my signature.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
Hey Fastlaners!

Jeb Blount series.

Tom Williams on buyer centered selling.

Shono

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Aug 8, 2021
Do you think sales books have a merit to use? I've heard many contrary opinions on this topic, ie. I hear someone say spin-selling is an absolute read, then on the other hand people say reading is just avoidance; it's better to break eggs before you learn to make an omelette and keep learning on the job that way, then if you get stuck, but only then, try to find a book that is specific to your needs.

Also, do you think getting some sort of retail sales job is the best avenue, or could I get sales experience doing cold calls with a similar gain in positive attributes? I am super introverted and hate the notion of doing an in person sales gig, but on the other hand have no problem with phone calls... Any input is highly appreciated

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Do you think sales books have a merit to use? I've heard many contrary opinions on this topic, ie. I hear someone say spin-selling is an absolute read, then on the other hand people say reading is just avoidance; it's better to break eggs before you learn to make an omelette and keep learning on the job that way, then if you get stuck, but only then, try to find a book that is specific to your needs.

Also, do you think getting some sort of retail sales job is the best avenue, or could I get sales experience doing cold calls with a similar gain in positive attributes? I am super introverted and hate the notion of doing an in person sales gig, but on the other hand have no problem with phone calls... Any input is highly appreciated

TL;DR

Some braindumps:

Hey @Droopynips he already answered your questions. Also...

I would second this suggestion. Make sure you read through his first row of links.

Lastly, just my two cents on reading to learn sales.

Putting aside for a moment the fact that most of my friends will tell you I've always been a salesperson, I didn't start my sales career until I had read probably 30 books on the subject. They eventually all start to sound the same.

So I like what you said. Go get the experience, and when you run into a problem, find a book that helps you solve that specific problem.

I felt that spin selling was good, but geared a lot towards financial sales. If you absolutely positively have to read one book before you start, I would suggest Socratic Selling. That one probably had the biggest impact on me in sales.

Hope that helps...

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore

Recommend you to gain some job experience in sales to learn it. Sales is changing too fast that most books are out of date.

The buyer decision variables, and buyer journey is different across industries.

Ignore 90 percent of the books which is about “manipulation”. Easily misled if you do not have real experience pitching.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I can't remember if I linked to this one:

DMass

Breaking Chains One Day At A Time...
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Sep 11, 2021
I worked in Sales for over 15 years, B2C and B2B.

I remember when I started, I thought that Sales was some kind of witchcraft that required 100's of tricks, canned responses, and some superhuman level of persuasion.

I was wrong.

I was successful, and in the last 10 years I had the highest revenue and profit margins for the companies I worked with. I didn't have the highest conversion rate, but I personally think that is a red herring metric. Focus on what you produce, that's what you get paid on.

The secret I learnt was that Sales is easy if you want it to be.

It's the art of connecting people who are in a position to buy with what they want or need. Thats it.

There are going to be die-hard salespeople who will talk about how they convinced that one customer who was adamant that they were never going to buy to buy.

"I've just spent 4 weeks, 35 hours talking Mr Smith round, I used this technique and that technique, demonstrated the product. Gave this amazing Sales pitch, followed it up with an amazing Presentation, and handled 27 objections. And I finally landed it... I'm just so amazing"

In that time, I would've landed 10x the number of clients for 10x the profit (read: profit, not revenue).

Work smarter, not harder.

I was always taught there is a rule of 3.

One-third of people will buy from anyone because they need what you are selling or have been primed by a previous salesperson, these are the easy sales.
Another third of people will never buy from you no matter what, you could include a free Ferrari, and they will still need to think about it and come back to you (code for leave me alone and I'm never calling you)

It's the final third that can make or break you. These are the ones that can be influenced and that you can win. Just interact with them like you would an old friend or a family member.

Avoid the overzealous "I've drunk too much Red Bull" approach and focus on figuring out how you can help them.
  • What problem are they trying to solve?
  • Do you have something that can help them?
  • How can you help them?
  • What sets your product or service apart from the others on the market?
Be polite, be respectful, and be honest. Too many salespeople call themselves salespeople when in fact, they are just dishonest, disingenuous and devious dogs who take pride in lying and manipulating people to get them to do what they want to do. Thats a sign of a sociopath and will come back and bite you in the a$$ later on.

You want to walk on the side of the angels not the devil, don't be one of them!

Make sure you put your clients needs before yours.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.