The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Where did you learn marketing, sales, copy?

Marketing, social media, advertising

AlexLegault

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Jun 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Hey guys, I've read a couple of books so far on copywriting and direct marketing (both by Dan Kennedy) and just recently finished an online copywriting course on Udemy.

I'm just starting to apply my new skills but am wondering if you know any great sources or people to learn from when it comes to copy, sales and marketing and if you prefer books to online courses.

After reading the thread "Getting started is this simple..", my current goal is to learn copywriting skills and then find work that pays a little more (I'm that guy currently working minimum wage living paycheck to paycheck) which will give me a little more free time to work on a "fastlane" business. Learning these skills while working would also "kill 2 birds with one stone".

I first discovered the power of copywriting while posting a "room for rent" ad on Kijiji for my girlfriend. I literally went from getting 290 views a month to 300 views overnight. I thought that was badass, it's almost like a superpower or something lol.

Anyways, thanks for your time and if you have any suggestions let me know!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Hey guys, I've read a couple of books so far on copywriting and direct marketing (both by Dan Kennedy) and just recently finished an online copywriting course on Udemy.

I'm just starting to apply my new skills but am wondering if you know any great sources or people to learn from when it comes to copy, sales and marketing and if you prefer books to online courses.

After reading the thread "Getting started is this simple..", my current goal is to learn copywriting skills and then find work that pays a little more (I'm that guy currently working minimum wage living paycheck to paycheck) which will give me a little more free time to work on a "fastlane" business. Learning these skills while working would also "kill 2 birds with one stone".

I first discovered the power of copywriting while posting a "room for rent" ad on Kijiji for my girlfriend. I literally went from getting 290 views a month to 300 views overnight. I thought that was badass, it's almost like a superpower or something lol.

Anyways, thanks for your time and if you have any suggestions let me know!
@SinisterLex has a few copywriting threads.

@eliquid has a big online marketing thread.

I've a few threads linked to in my signature.

You may want to check out the Marketplace for examples of copywriting and their results.

As with anything, the best learning comes from doing.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
I learned by taking on bottom-of-the-barrel clients and by running my own ads.

Basically... by DOING.

I learned everything I know from this. I learned web design when I created a Wordpress website by myself trying to start a 'business'. That skill got me a job.

I learned Adwords by testing an affiliate offer. Cost $50 for a skill that, right now, helps pay my bills. I learned copy from reading CA$HVERTISING and then going on Fiverr.

F*cking Fiverr. $5 for 500 words. Those days make me shudder, not gonna lie.

Go out and DO. There are loads of clients willing to deal with lack of expertise if it means they can pay less. Loads.

Brian C.

Rolling Thunder
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
339%
Apr 13, 2016
Massachusetts, USA
my current goal is to learn copywriting skills and then find work that pays a little more"

Skip the learning part and jump right into finding work where you can add value.

You'll learn a lot more that way

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
My experience closing $4,000 in sales on two calls:

I was on a call with a guy who wanted to hire me to help him quit smoking.

I gave him a kick-a$$ free consultation, he experienced a lot of value up front, and I helped him get started in the right direction. He was interested in my services, and he had about $15 million in net worth...and would have paid $5,000 to fix the problem.

...and at the end of the call I never asked for the sale. After emailing him a week later, he disappeared, never to be heard of again.

I once read a book and studied a copywriting talking about this thing called a "call to action"....made sense, but I didn't apply it.

I felt the pain and fu*ked up.

The next guy who emailed me asking for my help, I skipped the free consultation, I skipped any value-add listing the benefits, and went straight to the features which probably just confused the heck out of him, and told him that it'll cost $2,000 for my services.

Three days later, I got a notification for a $2,000 sale in my paypal account.

All the copywriting books told me about adding scarcity, to put a time constraint on making sales.

Another call I had , I didn't do ANY sales whatsoever. I literally just answered the guys' questions and gave him the true answers he was looking for....and he ended the call saying "I'll think about it".

According to the wolf of wall street straight line persuasion system, I'm supposed to jump back in and tear apart that objection and close the sale on the spot..."What do you mean you have to think about it....do you have to think about it if you need to bail yourself out of jail..no, you just pay!"

No.

I didn't do any of that.

The next night, another PayPal notification for another $2,000 deposited in my account.
  1. You do something.
  2. You mess up. You feel the pain.
  3. You do something else. You feel the pleasure for the sales when you get it right.
  4. Rinse and repeat.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Another thing I have to add:

if you feel like you really can add value to a company or a person, just do it.

Don't ask for permission. Just F*cking do it. For free.

Then go up to them and say "Hey I did this for you, if you're interested I'll give it to you"

Many will not be interested. Some, however, will. Give them what you did and then follow up via PHONE (not email, screw email).

Another way to not ask for permission: just start something, anything.

Even building a shitty niche e-commerce site that uses SEO, dropshipping, and FB ads teaches you a LOT of skills that can then be marketable. Plus, it becomes a portfolio piece. Who cares if it's owned by you?

My niche site that ended up failing is HOW I GOT STARTED.

Get started, dammit!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.