The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What would you do if you CANNOT get a Job ?

Xavier X

Gold Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Jan 1, 2016
These United States
I love when people tell me they have done everything, and haven't been able to get a job.. any job, for the last 3 years.

Then I ask the last 10 places they've applied to this month, and get:

tumblr_inline_neem03of6V1qjnjex.jpg

Checking out at the grocery line once every six months and casually asking the indifferent cashier "y'all hiring?" isn't quite a job search.

Most jobs today require an online application, with unpaid questionnaires and tests which typically average 2 hours to complete.
That's usually the first layer of items to weed out the chronically lazy.

@topic
If you had zero chances of a job and no money, you would do essentially what most entrepreneurs do:

Option 1: Learn a marketable skill for free.
Option 2: Buy low, sell high.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
ive applied for a job at a bakery that rejected me because i have no experience (minimum wage) not being to get a job is a very real thing..

also gave a reference where my previous employers would vouch for me saying im a good worker...

Tuesday go out and apply for 10 jobs. Wednesday go out and apply for 10 jobs. Thursday go out and apply for 10 jobs. Friday go out and apply for 10 jobs. If you do this, then you are actually trying, if you go and apply for 1 job that means you did it so you can say that you applied for a minimum wage job and was turned down. If no one calls you by next Monday, go back to all the places you applied at last Tuesday. On Tuesday go back to all the places you applied at last Wednesday. On Wednesday go back to all the places you applied at last Thursday. Thursday go back to all the places you applied at last Friday. See what effort looks like.

alan3wilson

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jun 26, 2016
If I had absolutely no money and couldn't sell a product for someone else, I'd sell used electronics. I did that for a few months last year and when I began, most people were giving them to me for free. They didn't see the value in damaged items but I knew there was a market. With the cash rolling in, I continued buying and identified other items that could be bought for little and sold high.

It'll pay the bills but it's a lot of work.

great ! so you just asked people for used electronics to give you?

alan3wilson

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jun 26, 2016
I love when people tell me they have done everything, and haven't been able to get a job.. any job, for the last 3 years.

Checking out at the grocery line once every six months and casually asking the indifferent cashier "y'all hiring?" isn't quite a job search.

Most jobs today require an online application, with unpaid questionnaires and tests which typically average 2 hours to complete.

@topic
If you had zero chances of a job and no money, you would do essentially what most entrepreneurs do:

great points!

What do you think are the best marketable skills nowdays?

also if you would have no money then how you would buy low and sell high?

I think a solution could be to list an item for sale on ebay, get paypal money then buy with that money an item for low price elsewhere and ship to the buyer right?

Xavier X

Gold Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Jan 1, 2016
These United States
great points!

What do you think are the best marketable skills nowdays?

also if you would have no money then how you would buy low and sell high?

I think a solution could be to list an item for sale on ebay, get paypal money then buy with that money an item for low price elsewhere and ship to the buyer right?

There's hardly any such thing as "best marketable skill." However, there's such a thing as choosing skills wisely.

Learning how to paint sunsets on canvas is a marketable skill, but will most likely result in yet another starving artist.
Learning a versatile programming language on the other hand will keep you in high demand if you're not lazy.

If you have no money at all, you can always start by getting free items and selling them.
Craigslist has a "free stuff" section where people literally beg people to come take valuable items for free.
Sometimes because they have no use for it, other times because they're moving or have no more storage space.

For instance, when I moved last month, I listed a bunch of stuff on Craigslist for free, and people came to pick them up.
Of course, no one's going to be handing out brand new iphones and ipads, but you'll find things that can definitely be sold.

Most common electronics I noticed being given away were CRT TVs and DLP TVs. As well as pianos, furniture etc.

In the past, I have sold items on ebay (mostly ipods) before actually buying the item. However, you'll need an account with good reputation to pull that off.
ebay isn't going to release funds to a new account before the item is shipped or received.

Xavier X

Gold Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Jan 1, 2016
These United States
*extended from above post*

For the heck of it, I just looked in the free section of my local Craigslist (or former), and found a few interesting items there.

Like this boat which needs a new motor. Some boat mechanic would probably haul it out, fix it up and sell for a profit.

00i0i_2IL7tMQtSDh_600x450.jpg

And this lawnmower, the owner says "suddenly won't start." Stuff like that is usually just a part needing replacement.
Someone will pick it up, identify and replace the broken part = profit.

00707_4eMIo1vHatE_600x450.jpg

These two examples are for more advanced/technical hustlers, but a lot of turnkey items can be found on there for just about anyone to flip.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia

@topic

Gave me the laughs. Then I started crying...
So sad and so true.

But I will pick Option 2. I find Option 2 more conducive towards a potential Fastlane.

alan3wilson

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jun 26, 2016
Gave me the laughs. Then I started crying...
So sad and so true.

But I will pick Option 2. I find Option 2 more conducive towards a potential Fastlane.

yeah good points

but if a guy doesnt have any money how is he supposed to buy low items? if he doesnt have any money?

Xavier X

Gold Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Jan 1, 2016
These United States
yeah good points

but if a guy doesnt have any money how is he supposed to buy low items? if he doesnt have any money?

As I stated in a few posts above, there's always the option to scout your local Craigslist free section (if you're American).

Step 1:
Browse Craigslist "free stuff" section
Step 2: Pick up free items
Step 3: Sell free items right on Craiglist or ebay (for smaller size items).

Now you have a little capital to further make a dollar out of your 15 cents.

Another option:

Take out a micro loan of even $100. Before doing that, Identify a specific item that can be readily purchased and sold for a profit.
If you mess up that portion, you'll end up worse than you began. So, high demand items like Apple products work well.

The reality in life/business/hustle/bootstrapping (whatever) is: Those who want to do will do, and those who seek out excuses will find.

Sequential

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Aug 8, 2017
UK
Guy has no money and your advice is to take out a loan based on a high risk, single transaction?

High amount of idiocy on these forums lately.

Xavier X

Gold Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Jan 1, 2016
These United States
Guy has no money and your advice is to take out a loan based on a high risk, single transaction?

High amount of idiocy on these forums lately.

Those who are not willing to take risks (within reason) are nearly guaranteed to fail.

If a $100 micro-loan to kick-start a series of buy & flips on small low risk items (Apple products) is too much risk to bear, then I have bad news for you.

You're not cut out for this shit!

I don't instantly resort to name-calling like you've just done. If you have a better solution for the OP, then by all means present it.

Some of the options I've stated in this thread are things I did a decade ago and bootstrapped exponentially, starting from a single used laptop bought and resold.

Repeating that process in different variations got me to the point of opening a full service video and media production company. A company with a good sized video production studio, operated by 3 full time employees and 1 part-time employee. Not taking into account independent contractors. This studio/business ran for years before I re-invented it to what it currently is, and still being molded into.

Now, with your significant lack of "idiocy," what exactly do you have to your name in the entrepreneurial space? I'll wait.

You said yourself in this thread that you graduated college and couldn't find a job. That says more about you than it does of the job market.
I see one of your posts talks about publishing your mother's books. My guess is you still have your umbilical cord intact.

Show some respect.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
yeah good points

Mow two lawns.

Now you have $60.

The first purchase in my 2-year electronics flipping spree was $50.

Every time I made a profit, I reinvested most of it, and bought more items.

5-years later, the profits have bankrolled a business that will soon be selling for $xxx,xxx.

It all started with that $50 Nook.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
yeah good points

Option 1 then. Then move to option 2.
But seriously....it's kind of impossible to have no savings at all, even for lower income people.

Even when I meet with non Fastlaners who don't save, they still find money to buy shit lol.
Money isn't a problem, the ways of using it IS.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Mow two lawns.

Now you have $60.

The first purchase in my 2-year electronics flipping spree was $50.

Every time I made a profit, I reinvested most of it, and bought more items.

5-years later, the profits have bankrolled a business that will soon be selling for $xxx,xxx.

It all started with that $50 Nook.
IMO painting and pest extermination and home help cleaning services might make DOUBLE the revenue. Good demand where I come from.

Some companies offer all those services as their range. THAT could have been a good Fastlane...but hehe I would have to worry about employment. Where I come from, the locals will not do those 'manual jobs' and will just rope in foreign workers to do it....

And foreign workers aren't the best quality manpower compared with locals who are more educated and geographically synched there....

I am actually thinking of doing something like you did, but with household items. Electronics is good, but I think I can up the game by adding better copy or information products pertaining to the products. Where I come from, people resell like criminals instead of traders and business people.

BrooklynHustle

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Apr 3, 2014
DMV
Just asking what would you do in the worst situation you cannot get a job?

what kind of hustles would you do if you have 0$ and cannot get a job ?

would you ask for alms in the street ?
I don't have a "job" right now and haven't for the last 4 years, so....

But basically it comes down to what skills/knowledge do I have that would be valuable to someone else/the market

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
Here is a young guy, he's not rich, but he has been self-employed since he was 12. He's been making web businesses for himself, and doing side-projects for others. He tends to use Python, and he is a self-taught AI guy. He has turned down jobs from Apple and Facebook because he likes to just work on fun stuff. He really needs to read TMFL.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMtHmKO8GsA

Sequential

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Aug 8, 2017
UK
Those who are not willing to take risks (within reason) are nearly guaranteed to fail.

If a $100 micro-loan to kick-start a series of buy & flips on small low risk items (Apple products) is too much risk to bear, then I have bad news for you.

You're not cut out for this shit!

I don't instantly resort to name-calling like you've just done. If you have a better solution for the OP, then by all means present it.

Some of the options I've stated in this thread are things I did a decade ago and bootstrapped exponentially, starting from a single used laptop bought and resold.

Repeating that process in different variations got me to the point of opening a full service video and media production company. A company with a good sized video production studio, operated by 3 full time employees and 1 part-time employee. Not taking into account independent contractors. This studio/business ran for years before I re-invented it to what it currently is, and still being molded into.

Now, with your significant lack of "idiocy," what exactly do you have to your name in the entrepreneurial space? I'll wait.

You said yourself in this thread that you graduated college and couldn't find a job. That says more about you than it does of the job market.
I see one of your posts talks about publishing your mother's books. My guess is you still have your umbilical cord intact.

Show some respect.
Apple items are not low risk.

But what do I know, I only started a business buying pallets of Apple phones and then getting return-scammed from them on Ebay.

I have published over 90 books actually.
DCrWC9O.png

Mother saw the good profits and wanted to write her own and wants me to sell them and split the profit 50/50... but thank you for taking such a comment out of context.

"My guess is you still have your umbilical cord intact."
"Show some respect"

LMFAO, hypocritcal much?

So I stand by my point, you really want a guy with no job and money to take out a $100 loan and buy "Apple items" with it to sell on?

The profit margin is so low. $1000 of iPhone stock used to make me something like $150 in profit and that is assuming NO ONE scammed me. Amazon and Ebay when queried said being scammed is "the cost of doing business".

Let me guess you will say "sell on craiglists" yeah the haven of scammers.

Now please don't be giving out more idiotic advice. Thanks.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
Apple items are not low risk.

They're low risk, in that if you list one on Amazon at a good price, it will sell in less than an hour, guaranteed. You're not going to get stuck with something you can't sell.

But what do I know, I only started a business buying pallets of Apple phones and then getting return-scammed from them on Ebay.

Well yeah, if you're buying them bulk, you better have your sales process dialed in, because your margins aren't going to be great. Sounds like eBay wasn't a good way to go. eBay is only where I would go to sell my damaged goods. Amazon always had better sale prices, and I can only speak from my own experience, but I never once got scammed by a buyer in hundreds of phone transactions.

If you're buying single items on Craigslist, and flipping online (or even re-listing on craigslist), which someone just starting probably would be, you should be getting $50 profit an item, minimum.

Although, this was back in the day when my bread and butter was the iphone 4 and 4s, so I'm not sure what the buy/sell prices are these days for anything.

Sequential

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Aug 8, 2017
UK
But one, maybe 2 faulty phones, with no comeback because Craigslist, will wipe out his whole $100. Then he is left paying interest with no money.

This may be something you can do on the side with income but not something you should be doing if it is literally life or homelessness situation. In said situation you would be far better offering your time for money be that mowing lawns or flipping burgers. You want the lowest financial operating cost combined with the highest time/labour cost (because it is free when you are young) not to borrow money to try and make money from it.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
But one, maybe 2 faulty phones, with no comeback because Craigslist, will wipe out his whole $100. Then he is left paying interest with no money.

I didn't endorse the loan idea. That's dumb. Just mow a few lawns... there's your $100.

Xavier X

Gold Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Jan 1, 2016
These United States
I didn't endorse the loan idea. That's dumb. Just mow a few lawns... there's your $100.

I primarily offered the OP the advice of getting free stuff to resell, which requires no upfront cash and could be started this very hour.

Adding that he could get a $100 loan was only a second and alternative option.
Plus, I emphasized he should vet the item to be bought and resold as an easily viable item BEFORE getting the $100.

I suggested Apple products because back then, they were extremely easy for me to sell and always sold in a matter of hours.
I sold a very significant number of them in 2 - 3 years. iPhones and iPods. Not a single problem.

You might call getting the micro-loan dumb, but remember hindsight is 20-20.
In that respect, let's assume you didn't have the first $50 you purchased a nook with, and a friend or family member was willing to loan it to you.

knowing what you know now and how it set you on your current trajectory, would taking the $50 loan from them have been worth it?

@Sequential
Quite honestly, there's no indication you've earned enough stripes in life, business or maturity to engage you in sustained bickering.

Sequential

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Aug 8, 2017
UK
I primarily offered the OP the advice of getting free stuff to resell, which requires no upfront cash and could be started this very hour.

Adding that he could get a $100 loan was only a second and alternative option.
Plus, I emphasized he should vet the item to be bought and resold as an easily viable item BEFORE getting the $100.

I suggested Apple products because back then, they were extremely easy for me to sell and always sold in a matter of hours.
I sold a very significant number of them in 2 - 3 years. iPhones and iPods. Not a single problem.

You might call getting the micro-loan dumb, but remember hindsight is 20-20.
In that respect, let's assume you didn't have the first $50 you purchased a nook with, and a friend or family member was willing to loan it to you.

knowing what you know now and how it set you on your current trajectory, would taking the $50 loan from them have been worth it?

@Sequential
Quite honestly, there's no indication you've earned enough stripes in life, business or maturity to engage you in sustained bickering.
I love how you have changed your stance from "take out a micro loan" to "borrow the money from family", ie one end of the spectrum to the other, to support your flawed intial "advice".

Oh?

And what indication do we have that you have? Other than some words...

I mean what networth do I need for my opinion to be as valid as yours?

This forum is cancer because of people like you, giving people suggestions that could bankrupt them, based on experience that worked many years ago.

I'm done on this forum.

Brian C.

Rolling Thunder
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
339%
Apr 13, 2016
Massachusetts, USA
Alright, I'll play along.

For whatever reason, I can't get a job. Can't even work at McDonalds. There are literally NO options for work.

So, I get on Upwork. I take small gigs and continue to work my way up the pay scale. Maybe I take some of that income and invest it into flip opportunities. Maybe I flip items from eBay, yard sales, or craigslist. Maybe I move some of that income into investments; maybe real estate. Maybe securities.

Perhaps I generate a following from Upwork and start a business based on my abilities. Maybe I sell products to my existing client base.

Or maybe I start a different type of business completely. Maybe I shovel driveways when it snows. Maybe I save the income and buy a truck & plow and hire additional plows as we grow.

So many possibilities!

Xavier X

Gold Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Jan 1, 2016
These United States
I love how you have changed your stance from "take out a micro loan" to "borrow the money from family", ie one end of the spectrum to the other, to support your flawed intial "advice".

Oh?

And what indication do we have that you have? Other than some words...

I mean what networth do I need for my opinion to be as valid as yours?

This forum is cancer because of people like you, giving people suggestions that could bankrupt them, based on experience that worked many years ago.

I'm done on this forum.

Do you have any clue that the term "micro loan" is a catch-all? ANYONE can issue a micro loan. It is a factor of the amount, not the issuer.
I bet you only associate it with a micro credit bank or similar lenders. That's like saying a "loan" is something only banks can give.

FYI the suggestions I offered him were valid yesterday, are valid today, and will be valid tomorrow.

Now:

- Notice how over 95% of others on this thread offered specific advice and possible solutions to the OP, except you?
- Notice your ratio of messages to likes received, since you joined a month ago?

What are these signs of?

Your contributions (or lack thereof) to this forum thus far have been sub-par at best, to non-existent. You will not be missed.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States

I don't borrow money from family, ever. Except for the one time I did, lost all of it on a bad business deal, and then made the rule afterwards.

I agree with the sentiment of your posts, however.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States

Plenty of people on this forum giving suggestions that could bankroll them too. Up to the reader to discern the best path for them. Good and bad info everywhere.

I'm done on this forum.

Bye

Envision

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
783%
May 5, 2014
Pre-sell a product i dont have to finance my initial order and go from there.

Work for free at an investment firm until i earned my way in

sell drugs till i have enough money to start a legit business

create a website, fill it with content and monetize with adsense/amazon associates

sell marketing/website services to high end clients like dentists, lawyers, and specialty doctors.

to be honest, id do all of these at the same time till i found one that stuck.

This is a dumb question because when you can do nothing the normal way you're free to do anything any way. If you've got nothing to lose and are at the bottom you're more free than you'll ever be in your life.

The hard part is having money and learning how to not lose it.

daivey

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Apr 6, 2014
Alright, I'll play along.

For whatever reason, I can't get a job. Can't even work at McDonalds. There are literally NO options for work.

So, I get on Upwork. I take small gigs and continue to work my way up the pay scale. Maybe I take some of that income and invest it into flip opportunities. Maybe I flip items from eBay, yard sales, or craigslist. Maybe I move some of that income into investments; maybe real estate. Maybe securities.

Perhaps I generate a following from Upwork and start a business based on my abilities. Maybe I sell products to my existing client base.

Or maybe I start a different type of business completely. Maybe I shovel driveways when it snows. Maybe I save the income and buy a truck & plow and hire additional plows as we grow.

So many possibilities!

if you can't get a minimum wage job anywhere...then you won't be successful on upwork.. don't kid yourself.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.