The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What steps do you wish you had taken sooner?

just10

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Jul 16, 2017
Knoxville
What actions, skills, or books do you wish you had learned about when you were 18?

This is pretty open ended I thought it might be kind of fun and constructive to learn what others had wish they had done to prepare themselves for adulthood or entrepreneurship.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ravens_Shadow

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
642%
Oct 2, 2012
Austin, TX
To stop thinking so hard and just do it. Learn along the way rather than waiting to read the right book or watch the right video.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I quit playing piano as a teen ... wasn't cool. Sorry I stopped as I was getting pretty good -- but puberty called.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
None, any change would have put me on a different path. I like where I am.

just10

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Jul 16, 2017
Knoxville
I quit playing piano as a teen ... wasn't cool. Sorry I stopped as I was getting pretty good -- but puberty called.

I did the same thing in 7th grade, because I thought "you can't play rock music with a piano." (wrong and there is other genres 13 year old me) I'm picking back it up as soon as I have the time again. You don't realize until its too late how much time you have to waste as a kid.

just10

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Jul 16, 2017
Knoxville
Reading books. If I remember, the millionaire fastlane was the first business book I read and it inspired me to soak up knowledge and find a clear vision where I want to go with my life

It was my first business book as well, I want to find more business books but I'm not sure which to trust.

Luke Phillips

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jul 5, 2017
Australia
Books I wish I read at 18:
Actions/mindset I wish I took/had:
  • Not care about what other people thought.
  • Not Buying a house to live in but rather buying multiple as investments.
  • Not be worried about what 'might' happen and just do it!
Skills I wish I learnt:
  • How to sell
  • How to market
  • Coding/programming
  • Persistence

Nicoknowsbest

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
396%
Mar 31, 2014
Austria
I wish I had gotten out of my head sooner, started earlier, smiled more and made people laugh more.

Life, business and humans are based around communication.

Being a good communicator opens doors.

Being a great communicator opens parallel worlds.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Fully trusting myself. I gave years of full energy and capability to helping others grow their businesses.
I learned a lot and love who I worked for but I will never have that same energy and focus again as I did when I was 15-25.

Growing a group. I love my Facebook group (over 3000 people) but it would have been cool to start even earlier so they could have been there from day one. Of course the irony of that is probably no one would have wanted to watch but I wish I started connecting with people earlier on my journey.

Joe Cassandra

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
509%
Jul 25, 2013
Woodstock, GA
I wish I cut more classes in college and spent that time on building something.

- I don't use anything I 'learned' in college
- I would've been self-employed by 24 rather than 28

[Yes, 4 years is alot of wasted time..life is short]

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
If I'm being honest - it's not spending so much money on stupid shit.

It's hard going from zero income to regular income and not being excited about spending it. I lived a life of charity until that first job and it felt like there was no end to the things I wanted to spend money on. Restaurants and fancy home made meals, junk food, concerts, alcohol, video games and movies, computers and tvs and audio equipment, nice furniture, lots of "mindless" travel and road trips, a money pit of a car, etc. The list is endless.

If I were to do it again, I'd be very purposeful with my money back when income was high and expenses were low.

I could have paid off the house I'm in almost 5 years ago (I'm on pace for paying it off in 7 more at this point). I could have saved up enough to start any business I wanted without much worry of cash issues. I could have been purposeful with my travel instead of mindless and seen the world or experienced incredible things instead of just "wasting time" in new places. I could have focused on exercise instead of alcohol. I could have been buying books instead of video games. I could have been buying my friends and family dinners out and getting closer to people I've since fallen out of touch with instead of chowing down on nonsense for myself out of boredom. I could have gotten into real estate investing at a very young age.

In short - I would have wasted a lot less money on selfish nonsense and spent it purposefully on investments in life, friends, family and business.

Greg R

Act, Assess, Adjust
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
465%
Oct 28, 2015
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
What actions, skills, or books do you wish you had learned about when you were 18?

This is pretty open ended I thought it might be kind of fun and constructive to learn what others had wish they had done to prepare themselves for adulthood or entrepreneurship.

Everything happens just as it ought.

Stop wasting time thinking about what is out of your control and get some sales.

Focus on what you can control right now. Not the past, not the future.

The target is not there to avoid you. It is there to be hit.

Focus.

Good luck.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States

Same here.

Wish I would've stuck it out another 4 years.

just10

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Jul 16, 2017
Knoxville
Everything happens just as it ought.

Stop wasting time thinking about what is out of your control and get some sales.

Focus on what you can control right now. Not the past, not the future.

The target is not there to avoid you. It is there to be hit.

Focus.

Good luck.

Thanks for your advise! I'm getting sales everyday through eBay and Mercari, I'm trying to learn skills that will allow me complete control of my brand. I really like the answers I'm getting on my first thread. I will keep you guys updated on my progress (if your interested).

just10

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Jul 16, 2017
Knoxville
If I'm being honest - it's not spending so much money on stupid shit.

It's hard going from zero income to regular income and not being excited about spending it. I lived a life of charity until that first job and it felt like there was no end to the things I wanted to spend money on. Restaurants and fancy home made meals, junk food, concerts, alcohol, video games and movies, computers and tvs and audio equipment, nice furniture, lots of "mindless" travel and road trips, a money pit of a car, etc. The list is endless.

If I were to do it again, I'd be very purposeful with my money back when income was high and expenses were low.

I could have paid off the house I'm in almost 5 years ago (I'm on pace for paying it off in 7 more at this point). I could have saved up enough to start any business I wanted without much worry of cash issues. I could have been purposeful with my travel instead of mindless and seen the world or experienced incredible things instead of just "wasting time" in new places. I could have focused on exercise instead of alcohol. I could have been buying books instead of video games. I could have been buying my friends and family dinners out and getting closer to people I've since fallen out of touch with instead of chowing down on nonsense for myself out of boredom. I could have gotten into real estate investing at a very young age.

In short - I would have wasted a lot less money on selfish nonsense and spent it purposefully on investments in life, friends, family and business.

Thats something I struggle with. I've been trying to keep my head down and avoid buying things I don't need so I can put it toward my business and education.

just10

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Jul 16, 2017
Knoxville
I wish I cut more classes in college and spent that time on building something.

- I don't use anything I 'learned' in college
- I would've been self-employed by 24 rather than 28

[Yes, 4 years is alot of wasted time..life is short]

Glad you got on the right track while you were still young!

just10

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Jul 16, 2017
Knoxville
Books I wish I read at 18:
Actions/mindset I wish I took/had:
  • Not care about what other people thought.
  • Not Buying a house to live in but rather buying multiple as investments.
  • Not be worried about what 'might' happen and just do it!
Skills I wish I learnt:
  • How to sell
  • How to market
  • Coding/programming
  • Persistence

My 4 year old the property investor looks like a great resource I'm going to read it within the next week! I'm working on learning coding currently, hopefully that skill will come in handy soon.

G

Guest3722A

Rich Dad Poor Dad is a fairly easy read. At 18, I think it would a great one to get at

just10

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Jul 16, 2017
Knoxville
Rich Dad Poor Dad is a fairly easy read. At 18, I think it would a great one to get at

Thanks I'll check it out! I'm glad I'm getting some book recommendations. I hate to get more of a taker, but as soon as I gain some knowledge and relevant experience I'll be able to give others advice.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
543%
Jan 13, 2014
Same here.

Wish I would've stuck it out another 4 years.

Yep, me too. I had a teacher that had been an instructor in a Soviet school and she was a hard a$$. I couldn't take criticism. I didn't understand that she was hard on me because she saw potential.

So: I wish I'd learned earlier that life doesn't owe me anything, including support, encouragement or validation, and criticism is often the best gift another person can give you.

just10

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Jul 16, 2017
Knoxville
Yep, me too. I had a teacher that had been an instructor in a Soviet school and she was a hard a$$. I couldn't take criticism. I didn't understand that she was hard on me because she saw potential.

So: I wish I'd learned earlier that life doesn't owe me anything, including support, encouragement or validation, and criticism is often the best gift another person can give you.

Thats a great insight. I actually like criticism now because it tells you how you can improve. You just can't take it so personally.

cutthroughstatic

I Buy Cars
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
326%
Mar 13, 2015
SoCal --> Richmond, VA
It feels weird to wish I had done anything differently. The only reason I am where I am today is because of the events that happened earlier. It's hard to have success without seeing first hand what failure looks like and why you failed.

Like MJ says in his book...we all have to have our FTE.

I'm glad I wasted time, floundered, and wasn't happy in my past. It allows me to see incredibly clearly what I need to do every day.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.