The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What is the BEST "value" you ever paid for?

Supercar

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Mar 14, 2012
Michigan, Arizona
I just learned how to get the Amazon Kindle Android App to read books out-loud:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgZuaeUTbAk

Just make sure to go into Settings in TalkBack and enable a hardware shortcut to turn TalkBack on or off. Else, it is extremely annoying when you need to navigate the phone.

I think Alexa can read Kindle books out-loud too. That is if you can stand having her around your house.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

TheJackal

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Dec 19, 2017
Tennessee
  • A library card
    • Modern libraries are fantastic with their reserve system, computer access along with expensive software, and somewhat up-to date technical books that can get you started on adding value. For free.
  • Evernote
    • I bought a year's subscription. Don't even know what I paid. Why?
    • When I have a thought, no matter what device I'm on, I can write it down
    • I can search past things easily
    • If I write something out away from the computer I can photograph it and bump it to evernote
    • It's helped me organize my thoughts tremendously
Are you still loving Evernote? I used it when it was brand new years ago. Almost went back a year or so ago but heard they'd made a lot of upgrades that screwed with performance. Thoughts?

Departed

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Jul 15, 2017
Europe
Are you still loving Evernote? I used it when it was brand new years ago. Almost went back a year or so ago but heard they'd made a lot of upgrades that screwed with performance. Thoughts?

Before you go with Evernote give Onenote a try. I used both in parallel and Evernote is not worth paying a yearly subscription if you ask me. However, one thing to consider is that onenote and Evernote take a slightly different approach. There are a lot of reviewes and comparisons out there (e.g. https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/evernote-vs-onenote)

SeePetey

Highly Trained Ape
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Mar 8, 2012
Elsewhere
I was thinking of a couple other things today...

If you look on any fan page you will see that this thing has practically a cult-following. Instant Pot is an electric pressure cooker.

I love my instant pot!! I bought my first for Cyber Monday. It is truly the crown jewel of my mini-kitchen that I built inside a 20' shipping container out where I work.

rsz_img_20171223_174158 (reduced).jpg

Today for Christmas dinner, using the instant pot, in about 2 hours we cooked 2x pork roasts, a giant batch of teriyaki chicken and jasmine rice (in a single pot, at the same time), and a huge pot of mashed potatoes. The meat was as tender as any I've ever cooked or had before.

My whole team is buying them for their wives and mothers lol.

OMDA

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Dec 21, 2017
FL
I haven't had any issues with performance.

It's not uncommon for me to quickly get some ideas down on my phone (Android) and organize them/develop them on my computers later. Haven't had issues with the windows or Android app.
I've had some difficulties on Linux, but that's because their web interface doesn't have the features of the windows app.

I'm also surprised at the online MS tools working on the browsers, but don't use them as often as Evernote.

Dan_Fastlane

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jan 3, 2017
World Citizen
51JIBIFurYL.jpg

best price/value ever had hahah

KLaw

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 4, 2012
ohio
If you have big hands you might want to go with the long handled version. Some of them open differently to change the blades, but they all do basically the same thing. Choosing the right blade is more important, a lot of the japanese ones are high quality and very sharp.
I got one for Christmas. Actually, I got 3. I didn't ask for a lot. But, now I am scared to use it. Any tips? Thanks.

mike24601

Consumption Bear
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Apr 8, 2017
Illinois
I got one for Christmas. Actually, I got 3. I didn't ask for a lot. But, now I am scared to use it. Any tips? Thanks.

They are pretty safe compared to, say, a straight razor. You may find yourself getting nicked more often if you are not careful. Just go a bit slower and be careful around the chin. Investing in a "Styptic pencil" from the drug store is a good idea, it will stop bleeding from nicks very fast and you won't walk into work with little blots of toilet paper on your face. Use a good quality lubricating shave cream and you're golden

OMDA

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Dec 21, 2017
FL
Another one:

Spending a few bucks on adwords and getting real information on your market. Significantly better than working with zero data and hoping for the best after wasting much more time of your limited life than those few dollars were worth.

dgr

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
271%
Feb 20, 2016
Spain
Blue light blocking glasses. 20-30$ usually.

They have remove my headaches when working with the computer and my eyes are less tired after long sessions of work (cough, cough, surfing the internet, cough). They also helps me sleep better if I use some screen with blue light at night.

Actually I have one model that is not yellow, but the image proofs better the concept.
gafas.jpg

D

Deleted50669

The domain name for the business I’m building, and your books.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hungryhippocampi

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Dec 27, 2017
North Carolina
Most books provide a great return if you can glean one nugget of wisdom that moves you forward. Even fiction -- the books by Patrick Rothfuss are a great example where I gleaned wisdom from the Ademre and Kvothe's dedication to learning their ways.

Other items:
1. My MBA -- it cost me time only and resulted in a well paying job (as far as those things go) , a love for entrepreneurship, and a strong belief in my ability to learn and adapt to whatever may come my way.
2. My Vitamix blender -- the thing is a workhorse!
3. My Big Berkey water filter -- I like knowing that I'm drinking really clean water without flouride.

Best value from a health perspective: Crossfit membership, coconut oil, apple cider vinegar, Life Extension Foundation supplements: great quality two-a-day multi, turmeric, fish oil, zinc.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
71IcW-ig7PL._SL1500_.jpg

Acupressure mat. There are a zillion of these being private labeled on Amazon. They're all the same so just go for the cheapest one. I think I got mine for 20 bucks or so.

I could talk forever about how beneficial this thing has been to my life, but I'll just copy and paste the ad description:
  • RELIEVES back pain and stress in the comfort of your home in as little as 15 minutes per day
  • IMPROVES circulation by increasing blood flow to the back and other areas for optimal health
  • HEADACHE RELIEF can be achieved by standing on the mat barefoot for up to 10 minutes by utilizing the reflexology points of the feet
  • INCREASES relaxation for a more restful sleep to increase energy levels and relaxation
  • Saves time and money by eliminating the need for chiropractors, physical therapists and acupuncture professionals
You'll likely experience some discomfort when initially trying it, but try to push through the first few minutes of pain and you'll feel amazing after.

Per this thread, I bought one of these things.

Damn sh*t this thing is painful. The first time I laid on it I felt like someone was taking a blow-torch to my back. It went away after 10 minutes and then afterward I totally felt different, in a good way. Can't quite explain it... sleepy but alert, energized by peaceful. It was the strangest thing.

I hope the blowtorch thing goes away!

justonemore

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Dec 19, 2017
NewYork
Learned Linux. Cost me nothing.
Using Ubuntu to surf the web is so much nicer than the stuff Microsoft puts out now days.
More secure too.

Readerly

Yes and
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Sep 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
My passport. With it, I can go pretty much anywhere in this big, weird world. Every trip abroad makes me a little less of a provincial. Haven't used it as much lately as I would've liked to, though.

YoungPadawan

Miles to go before I sleep
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Nov 7, 2015
A modified "Confidence Power Plus Treadmill" + IKEA Fredrik desk + two free computer monitors = the best dang treadmill desk ever.

connd.jpg
hk6qKw

ddddd.jpg
c6n2XG

No joke, I've probably walked over 100 miles on this little treadmill and the dual monitor make things so much easier with having multiple webpages open.

Another thing I couldn't live without...
13984-2a698572f01148b6db200091ddd7db22.jpg

iQQHzw

I use legal pads every single day. For writing notes, reminders and my to-do list. I've tried Evernote and Trello and a bunch of other digital notetaking/productivity apps, but when it comes down to it, nothing beats a good old legal pad.

Another thing I love is Google Drive for backing up all of my computer files. For 2 bucks a month, I don't have to worry about my files if my computer takes a dump and I can store and create endless amounts of documents and spreadsheets in Google Drive to collaborate with my virtual assistants.

Attachments

• legal.jpg
    legal.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
Sadie part deuce. I saw that soccer ball at academy one day. Sadie, likes playing fetch with soccer balls. So, why not a tiny one for the house? LOL She popped it in a matter of minutes. Only fitting she popped it on the cushion she ripped. smh.

VdVBeeK.jpg

NickC

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jan 20, 2017
Chicago
2. My Vitamix blender -- the thing is a workhorse!

Lol I just had a salesman trying to sell me one of these last week at costco. It was like 400 bucks and i couldnt justify that but it does look extremely nice

hungryhippocampi

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Dec 27, 2017
North Carolina
Lol I just had a salesman trying to sell me one of these last week at costco. It was like 400 bucks and i couldnt justify that but it does look extremely nice
I got my Vitamix using points from a rewards program. It takes smoothies to a whole new level, I can put kale and spinach and puree it so it's smooth and has zero grit -- every bit as good as Tropical Smoothie Cafe. It has its own cookbook as you can make nutmilks, soups, etc. It also is great at making frozen margaritas. I've used it daily for 4 years now. Edit: to clarify, not daily margaritas...yet ;)

justonemore

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Dec 19, 2017
NewYork
Just thought of a second one. A $10 journal from Target.
I followed this guy belows advice and started a journal.
The idea for me isn't to write down what happened today.
The idea is to take notes when I watch YouTube videos or read books.
Or to capture ideas when I'm brainstorming big decisions.
A place to store mind maps.

He uses the idea of 'Creating the best book you've ever read' by taking notes of what you think the best ideas are from the videos and books you consume.

For me, I'll watch a great video, or read a really good book, and a month(or a week) later I've forgotten it. This really helps.

It's also neat to be able to go back through it and re-see some of the cool things that I found a few months ago.

Here's one of the videos that got me started.
Warning, he uses NSFW language at the beginning. Not bad, but NSFW.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Obni_PPkdiI

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Just thought of a second one. A $10 journal from Target.
I followed this guy belows advice and started a journal.
The idea for me isn't to write down what happened today.
The idea is to take notes when I watch YouTube videos or read books.
Or to capture ideas when I'm brainstorming big decisions.
A place to store mind maps.

Speaking of writing notes, to-dos, and other things...

Here's a value I found incredible:
(The template is FREE on the INSIDE for INSIDERS.)
https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/threads/insider-benefit-the-fastlane-to-do-list.61008/

to-do-list-small.jpg

MMatt

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Nov 14, 2011
A snow plow for my truck has been my best "value" Investment in a while. Saves hours of time and backache for anyone living in a climate that gets snow.

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
vexDzDj.png

Backdrop and lighting setup (shown here in it's infancy)

Cost? Probably $400 when totally built.

Creates like $6,000 in value per month.

Best rolls of construction paper in the universe.

Maxboost

Silver Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Apr 4, 2016
The way I calculate value is to take the amount total amount of the price of whatever I am buying and divide it by the amount of times I will use it. For example, $2000 dollar suit worn twice a year = waste of money, a top of the line 2000$ mac for web dev and programming used everyday = good value.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
These things seem to clean ANYTHING.

HUSTLE/GRIND IDEA
In fact, if you buy a box of them and head off to the Goodwill store, I'm sure you can buy anything there filled with dirt, grime, rust; clean it up, and resell at a profit.

Scrub Daddies can't hold a candle to 'em.
MagicEraserOriginal.jpg

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.