• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

FORUM SEARCH

Get answers about starting a business from real entrepreneurs. Powered by Google.

NOTABLE! What is the WORST "value" you ever paid for?

Discussion in 'Lessons from Success/Failure' started by MJ DeMarco, Apr 11, 2018.

Tags:
  1. NuclearPuma

NuclearPuma Bronze Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,263
    It's pretty slow lane. If you've read a few personal finance books you've probabaly seen the material before. The advice is pretty solid though. He advocates automated systems for savings and bills and highlights the importance of low credit score. Focus on the big costs (such as interest) and not the pennies (saving money on coffee). So it can be good for someone who is new to managing their own finances who hasn't read anything about it before.

Olimac21 likes this.
  2. p0stscript

p0stscript Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,195
    In the early eighties my friends and I decided on a holiday of a lifetime to Hawaii. Since it was a very long haul flight from the UK we travelled via California, spending a few nights in LA before flying on to Honolulu. Since we had never been to America before we thought we'd see the sights and pre booked a restauraunt meal in Beverly Hills. This was the worst value I ever paid for, the meal was adequate, the service subpar, and for the first time in the USA we were made to feel like third class citizens all for a premium price. Thankfully it did not spoil the vocation and was a notable exception to the hospitality and warmth we encountered everywhere else.

MJ DeMarco likes this.
  3. Autobahn1985

Autobahn1985 Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $107
    Rolex Submariner... I always wanted to buy me one of those James Bond watches once I "made it", and I did... Sub No Date... But in the end, it's just a watch, the fake one of my friends is wearing costs like 1/10 of it, and despite a liiiiiittle "tick" it is hardly distinguishable... And I am wearing my 80 bucks G-Shock or 200 bucks Slow Watch most of the time... pissed away a lot of money on appearance, but it didnt give me the satisfaction I always thought it would... And now, Bond is wearing Omegas anyway - half the price, and not every douchebag in the club is wearing one :D

NateTheGreat and MJ DeMarco like this.
  4. Youngrahn

Youngrahn Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $107
    Mine is not just one specific product or an experience.

I'll say 'All the skin care products I had purchased and used until last summer, 2017'

When I was in my 20s, I spent a lot of my time at tanning shops in Korea and
    at the beaches in Hawaii. It was one of the biggest mistakes in my life. I damaged my skin so bad that my skin became extremely dry and itchy and I had to cover my enlarged pores every time I put on make-up.

Ever since then, I spent at least 7,000 dollars on multiple excruciating laser treatments to reduce the size of my pores and probably more money on expensive skin products.

When I visited my family back home in Korea last summer, I desperately looked for another 'the best dermatologist in the country' online again. While I was searching for more information on 'how to minimize pores' I accidentally ended up on a blog and I found out this blogger was an entrepreneur who owns a very small skin care shop in Seoul

After almost 2 hours of subway ride, I found this place and got to meet with this blogger.

According to her, you CAN minimize your pores, but you CAN NEVER do it with a couple of laser treatments and expensive products over night

because,

#1. Laser treatments initially damage your skin and eventually weaken it and cause it to become more sensitive and to break out.

(So, I stopped spending money on laser treatments)

#2. A lot of these fancy skin products (especially what major skin care companies produce) contain Sulfate, PEG, Parabens and other ingredients that make your skin lose its control in the long run.

(So, I started buying new skin products such as Witch hazel rose petal toner from Thayers, moisturizers from Physiogel, beauty soap from Dove, and other Ph balancing cleansers from Eucerin and some Korean cosmetic brands. And I learned that products that smell good, lather well, and cleanse perfectly had actually destroyed my skin barrier which keeps its natural moisture)

#3. Unless you get rid of what's in your pores physically, you can Never ever make them smaller by trying to do the same chemically. Well, it may seem like it works but only for a short period time.
    Actually I had only been relying on treatments and products that constantly treating (and damaging) the outermost layer of my skin but never even realized I should focus on getting rid of what's in them first until then.

(So, I started getting rid of these nasty blackheads with a remover every other day after shower, then applied my rose water toner 7 times every 30 seconds followed by moisturizer.
    Oh yes, It's very time-consuming but totally worth it.)

She charged me only 200,000 won (almost 200 dollars) for her service that lasted a few months while I stayed in Korea and I voluntarily spent another 200 on the products she had displayed on the shelves that she never tried to sell to me.
    I must have been really tired of those doctors who had always tried to give me a lecture about their newest technology and their expensive equipments. I didn't mind giving her more money at all at that time :)

I followed her advice and now I never look for another best dermatologist or buy any skin products without checking their ingredients.
    Also, I am happy with how my skin looks and feels

Phew! That was a long story! But I guess it is a happy ending :)
    Thank you for reading!

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
    Mr.C, becks22, keith4444 and 3 others like this.
  5. Maxboost

Maxboost Bronze Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,367
    I love watches but that Rolex Submariner will retain its value so its not really a waste. You should at the very least break even. Seiko and Casio G shock is the best value out there.

6. Shuhari

Shuhari New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $61
    All books of the 4-hour series. Thinking not about the 50 bucks that these cost in total, but more about the lost time. Most of us are so prone to the idea that there exists a shortcut to whatever we desire and when marketed effectively baaaaaam, you're sold on this worthless piece of advice. Such a scam...

7. Get Right

Get Right Platinum Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $25,450
    1. College (had to unlearn everything to make any money)
    2. Homelite products (learned my first cuss word owning them)
    3. A wrinkle in time (movie my kids made me watch...)
    4. Pretty much everything on TV (I cut the cord 3 years ago)

Kingmaker likes this.
  8. Danny reds

Danny reds Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $174
    Must be some good healthy gluten free pizza... LOL

Thats the price you pay for their green clean commitment!

9. Danny reds

Danny reds Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $174
    Must be some good healthy gluten free pizza... LOL
    Thats the price you pay for their green clean commitment!

I went to whole foods on Friday. Walked out with four paper bags and paid $280 bucks for some meat and veggies.

Is it really grass fead? Cage Free?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
  10. andyhaus44

andyhaus44 New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $68
    Dr. Stacey A. Maxwell-Krockenbergers “guru” seminar — she doesn’t give you your money back if you’re not able to attend

11. NaPal

NaPal Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $416
    Why'd you go with a POS POS? We're about to rollout Harbortouch. $100/mo for 2 system as a service, fully supported, with onsite techs.

12. NaPal

NaPal Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $416
    1. College (Lets start my adult years $100k in debt is not the answer)
    2. Marriage (Overrated, it's a piece of paper, kiddos would get so many handouts if my wife was a single mother w/3 kids)
    3. Jewelry
    4. All cheap ass furniture made of particle board, which is everything now days.

13. MidwestLandlord

MidwestLandlord Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $33,290
    Literally only have 2 POS options in the industry, because the POS has to work with onsite 3rd party equipment. Didn't have a choice, essentially. No other company was compatible.

NaPal likes this.
  14. Ronak

Ronak Silver Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $7,000
    A little protip, you can get the same exact thing from GS1 UK for half price, I think you get 250 UPCs for 200 pounds or so. The UPCs are good internationally.

15. ShellShock

ShellShock Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $147
    Some sales book by a guy Geoff King. Seemed pretty generic and honestly i would have better spent my money on Sandler or SPIN.