The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What is the best project management tool?

Anything related to matters of the mind

violetwilliams

New Contributor
May 19, 2020
hey guys,

Was wondering what is the best project management tool? There are lots of tools available in the market for project management, but I want to know which one is the best?

Thanks in advance!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

mve0991

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Apr 5, 2020
The Netherlands
Last edited:

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I like Basecamp combined with Trello. I have an INSIDERS thread with a video showing how we use Basecamp.

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria
hey guys,

Was wondering what is the best project management tool? There are lots of tools available in the market for project management, but I want to know which one is the best?

Thanks in advance!
For managing what kind of project?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

serge94

Running a B2C SaaS
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Apr 20, 2020
Europe
I'm actually at an impasse on choosing a proper tool. We've used Asana successfully in the past and I love all of the features, especially the Timeline and Calendar views, but I also want to have a place inside it to save notes & stuff, kind of like a Wiki. And maybe link between tasks and notes, that would be cool. Right now I'm trying out Quip, Notion, Asana & Evernote and figuring out what to stick with.

To answer your question: it depends on how big the team is, what you're working on, etc. basically it depends on your needs :) They're all good in their own way, I don't think there is a clear winner among them.

Last edited:

Beerbread

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Dec 2, 2019
New Jersey
I use Trello and it works fine for my needs! Especially if you're by yourself but you want to hold yourself accountable.

NMdad

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Aug 6, 2017
New Mexico
^^^ This is the right answer.
Yep. I tried Jira but found it nearly incomprehensible & extremely cumbersome to configure. I use ClickUp, which is similar to Asana, but I believe ClickUp has more ways to view things. My projects are mostly related to client-based software & support (bugs, support issues, development tasks, etc.), but ClickUp works well for non-software projects too.

MythOfSisyphus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
521%
Jan 15, 2018
Australia
If you're into ridiculous levels of customisation and find that some of the other offerings don't have what you need then check out Clickup. I switched to it from Trello late last year and have really enjoyed it. It's probably overkill for my level of use which is individual rather than a team but I enjoy it.

There's a somewhat steep learning curve but once you get the hang of it there's not really anything you can't do.

serge94

Running a B2C SaaS
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Apr 20, 2020
Europe
Notion is great too.

Notion is soooo slow because they're always requesting the page through the network instead of having a locally replicated database that syncs with their servers. I tried it for a few months and it was super frustrating having to wait for the loading animation to finish every time I did something. I have great internet and a good computer and still it was slow.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
You guys have been trolled by a tag-team spammer.

Partner one lays the bait, and open ended question that draws in links from users...
Partner two arrives (with zero posts and a new account) and post backlinks...

Nonetheless, you can keep the recommendations coming, but just be vigilant for drive-bys.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
About 15 years ago I spent €2k on a one week project management course.

The guy giving it was one of those wise old fellas retired from the corporate world and enjoying teaching the next generations.

I only really remember one thing from the course, and he told us it in the first 10 minutes and then said we could all go home (which of course we didn’t).

He said: “A project manager‘s job is to pass a test.”

Find out what the test will be,
what day the test will be performed, and then do what needs done to pass it.

If you need to deliver 37 red widgets by 13:00 on 01-Jun-20 then that’s the test that will be applied at that date and time.

“It’s 13:00 on 01-Jun-20. Did you deliver 37 red widgets to ABC specification?”

“No. You didn’t say it had to be ABC specification. You just said to deliver 37 red widgets which I have here.”

“Ah, but we need them to ABC specification.”

“But that’s not what you said, and not what we agreed.”

So part of your job is to define the test so if people keep changing their mind or engaging in scope creep then you can amend and agree the test accordingly.

“Oh, you need the 37 red widgets to be at XYZ specification? That’s going to cost $X,XXX more to be delivered on the original date and time.”

Simple right?

I did wonder what we’d do as project managers if the businesses actually needed 15 blue widgets and not 37 red ones, to which he replied “That’s not your job. Someone in the business need to determine what’s needed or not. You’re the postman. You’re job is to deliver.”

EDIT: I just put this into it's own post and also posted to LinkedIn:

Last edited:

DChamb3

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 11, 2021
hey guys,

Thanks in advance!
I understand this is a somewhat older thread, but I figured I would chime in since this is the field I'm currently in.

In my experience, this really depends on the type of project you are managing and what features you are looking for. Microsoft Project is widely regarded as the gold standard and is great for large scale projects and programs but would only inhibit you on a smaller or less complex project or group of projects. Other factors to consider may be whether you are looking to have the project management software be utilized for scheduling resources in other departments and to what degree you expect it to be integrated with other business functions within the organization.

When I was working in the IT sector, we used AutoTask for the most part which was very good for scheduling internal resources and tracking the types of projects that we did but it did not have as many of the bells and whistles for tracking projects. ProCore is heavily favored in the construction industry and I've heard very good things about it as well.

Above all else though, I would say that the most important factor is going the be the Project Manager. Project Management software is a great tool, but it should be to supplement your fundamental skills, not replace them. I think that communication, risk management, and proactivity are the best skills for a Project Manger to possess, regardless of the software they utilize.

Hope this helps!

MattL

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 31, 2014
Finland
I use ClickUp.

I'm blown away by how much they give you for free. The project management software niche seems so oversaturated, maybe the only way to get a piece of the market nowadays is to have an insane offer? Or maybe I'm on some free trial.

BlackLynx

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
279%
Jan 21, 2019
Belgium
+1 for Clickup

It's like a giant box of Legos - you can build whatever you want with it

bracknelson

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Oct 28, 2020
The use of project management tools is an effective way to deliver projects on time and organize tasks. I have used Asana for project management, one of the best things about Asana is its user interface. It’s simple and easy to use. But which tool we use depends upon what kind of project we manage.

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
There is a project Taiga Agile - they don't give a lot for free account when hosted by them but you can install full version on your PC or server for free.

I don't know if its recommended but its working option if you're in need for PM software for yourself or team.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
You guys have been trolled by a tag-team spammer.

Partner one lays the bait, and open ended question that draws in links from users...
Partner two arrives (with zero posts and a new account) and post backlinks...

Nonetheless, you can keep the recommendations coming, but just be vigilant for drive-bys.

I died when i read this. I read the OP and thought, what a stupid question without context.

What's the best car?
what's the best dinner?
what's the best <noun>?

Thus the responses of people posting what works for them, not knowing really how it applies.

The thing I love even still is the fact that there are so many quality forum members here that will try to help anyone no matter how bad their initial question was. Thread after thread, people want to help in their own way. Can't find a better forum in that way!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.