The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

What is the best project management tool?

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

May 19, 2020
hey guys,

Was wondering what is the best project management tool? There are lots of tools available in the market for project management, but I want to know which one is the best?

Thanks in advance!

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

mve0991

Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Apr 5, 2020
The Netherlands
Last edited:

Andy Black

Dad, Husband, Inbound Marketeer
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I like Basecamp combined with Trello. I have an insider thread with a video showing how we use Basecamp.

Andy Black

Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland

serge94

Running a B2C SaaS
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Apr 20, 2020
Europe
I'm actually at an impasse on choosing a proper tool. We've used Asana successfully in the past and I love all of the features, especially the Timeline and Calendar views, but I also want to have a place inside it to save notes & stuff, kind of like a Wiki. And maybe link between tasks and notes, that would be cool. Right now I'm trying out Quip, Notion, Asana & Evernote and figuring out what to stick with.

To answer your question: it depends on how big the team is, what you're working on, etc. basically it depends on your needs :) They're all good in their own way, I don't think there is a clear winner among them.

Last edited:

NMdad

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Aug 6, 2017
New Mexico
^^^ This is the right answer.
Yep. I tried Jira but found it nearly incomprehensible & extremely cumbersome to configure. I use ClickUp, which is similar to Asana, but I believe ClickUp has more ways to view things. My projects are mostly related to client-based software & support (bugs, support issues, development tasks, etc.), but ClickUp works well for non-software projects too.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

MythOfSisyphus

Silver Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jan 15, 2018
Australia
If you're into ridiculous levels of customisation and find that some of the other offerings don't have what you need then check out Clickup. I switched to it from Trello late last year and have really enjoyed it. It's probably overkill for my level of use which is individual rather than a team but I enjoy it.

There's a somewhat steep learning curve but once you get the hang of it there's not really anything you can't do.

serge94

Running a B2C SaaS
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Apr 20, 2020
Europe
Notion is great too.

Notion is soooo slow because they're always requesting the page through the network instead of having a locally replicated database that syncs with their servers. I tried it for a few months and it was super frustrating having to wait for the loading animation to finish every time I did something. I have great internet and a good computer and still it was slow.

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ
You guys have been trolled by a tag-team spammer.

Partner one lays the bait, and open ended question that draws in links from users...
Partner two arrives (with zero posts and a new account) and post backlinks...

Nonetheless, you can keep the recommendations coming, but just be vigilant for drive-bys.

Andy Black

Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
About 15 years ago I spent €2k on a one week project management course.

The guy giving it was one of those wise old fellas retired from the corporate world and enjoying teaching the next generations.

I only really remember one thing from the course, and he told us it in the first 10 minutes and then said we could all go home (which of course we didn’t).

He said: “A project manager‘s job is to pass a test.”

Find out what the test will be,
what day the test will be performed, and then do what needs done to pass it.

If you need to deliver 37 red widgets by 13:00 on 01-Jun-20 then that’s the test that will be applied at that date and time.

“It’s 13:00 on 01-Jun-20. Did you deliver 37 red widgets to ABC specification?”

“No. You didn’t say it had to be ABC specification. You just said to deliver 37 red widgets which I have here.”

“Ah, but we need them to ABC specification.”

“But that’s not what you said, and not what we agreed.”

So part of your job is to define the test so if people keep changing their mind or engaging in scope creep then you can amend and agree the test accordingly.

“Oh, you need the 37 red widgets to be at XYZ specification? That’s going to cost $X,XXX more to be delivered on the original date and time.”

Simple right?

I did wonder what we’d do as project managers if the businesses actually needed 15 blue widgets and not 37 red ones, to which he replied “That’s not your job. Someone in the business need to determine what’s needed or not. You’re the postman. You’re job is to deliver.”

EDIT: I just put this into it's own post and also posted to LinkedIn:

Last edited:

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
This program helped me to triple my revenue over 7 months while also moving to a new city in the...
MARKETPLACE Fox Web School "Legend" Group Coaching Program 2020
Hi Fox, After reading your threat and watching some of your youtube I have several query ? 1...
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
If you read the last message then you know I'm removing my courses from Udemy next month. You...
MARKETPLACE Grow Your Business With a Book (An Unorthodox Marketing Strategy That Built One of the Largest...
PS. what do you think about the idea of setting up live Busking experiences on Air BNB? I could...
FEATURED! Introducing... WEALTH EXPO$ED, A Short Story By MJ DeMarco
Hi Mj, I just bought it. And reading it. I think is a great idea to write using the stories to...
MARKETPLACE Kill Bigger Incubator
@Kak Thanks for the reply. Whats interesting is that I have an idea that's been cooking which...

Forum Sponsor

sponsor

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom