The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What improved your life so much that you wish you did it sooner?

Kirk84

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Jun 9, 2020
Munich, Germany
Deleted all social media. (No, I’m not missing my school friends, I haven’t talked to in 20 years.)

Stopped watching / reading news.

Got rid of toxic people and in general everyone who drains my energy. (I believe, I do not need more than 2-3 close friends.)

Stopped listening to self-help gurus. (Most people are clueless anyways.)

Spend way less time on E-Mail. (These day about 10 minutes a day.)

Practice deep work.

Invest in the best guitar gear available on the market. It‘s just so much more fun playing and practicing with high end equipment.

Most importantly: Stop drinking! I spent more than 10 years of my life drinking and partying, basically living as a weekend alcoholic. I haven’t had a drink in several years. Today I can enjoy a glass or two.

Stopped smoking roughly five years ago.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

highway

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Aug 9, 2022
Getting my Computer Science degree. It opened up so many opportunities I never would have had without it. Travel, investing, home ownership, knowledge, personal growth, etc.

hodio

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Jul 24, 2022
Hanoi, Vietnam

Saw this question on Reddit and thought it was a pretty thought-provoking question that may lead to some interesting answers.

It can be whatever in any aspect of your life, both big and small things.
To me it is: Delaying gratification. Delaying or sacrificing your present's enjoyment for your future self. If i had read a book instead of playing video games when i was 16, i might be a millionare by now. Well, guess my 25-year-old self is gonna have to thank me then.

Last edited:

Naman

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Aug 20, 2022

Saw this question on Reddit and thought it was a pretty thought-provoking question that may lead to some interesting answers.

Reading MJ's book

BLITZSCALER

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Sep 30, 2018
International $$
Me helped the Ivy Lee Method
The most helpful is about there: focus only at one task at the time

Also put your mobile phone away and all stuff what distracts

Write down all 6 most important task in the most important order at the evening before the next workday.( That's very important!!! I waste lot's of time by thinking in the morning, which task to do, my brain doesn't work very well at morning..) The next morning start with the first task, like in the book The One Thing, by Garry Keller, or Eat That Frog, by Brian Tracy. Your first domino must fall, keep in mind the pareto principle.

Also: Don't think about time, I work on the task until it's finish. My deadline is to complete these 6 tasks.
When I'm tired I make a nap in my bean bag. I hear at my body, when I'm tired I sleep, when I'm awake I work, when I'm hungry I eat aso...

What helps me too: I feel when I'm stressed, my blood pressure grows, get pain in my back. I ask myself, what makes me angry, what is making me nervous about this situation? Then I ask why it makes this feelings in my Ego?

The feeling of completing the most anoying and important task is very satisfying!

For writing down these task I use a little sheet of paper, don't use your phone.

Also I use Green Tea and blueberries for focus, yes it activates your brain, studies have proven it. Use frozen biological Blueberry, they have the most nutrients, because they get instantly frozen after they pick them.
I take also 2 capsules of Johannis Herbs, because this helps against stress. Stress blocks my ability to think clearly.

Here some stuff about this technique
Or search on your own on Google: Ivy Lee Method

shashikr

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
May 8, 2022
india

Well particularly nothing changed my life yet but changed my mindset and perspective toward the world after reading self-help books. I have social anxiety and I accept it, and I desperately want to get rid of it asap to reach my vision. Right now, I am 20 years old and living with my family. I am thinking about forcing myself out of my comfort zone by leaving home and living seperately. I know 100% that this will turn out to be best decision of my life and I will be able to work on my full potential cuz it feels like hell going out with my F*ckin anxious mind telling 100s of stuff in public.

DuncDad

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Jul 8, 2016
purple mattress. sleep is key.
adding the oura ring and reviewing the data to get better sleep has powered me to do lots of other important things.
lot of cool biohacking you can do to help your main 'machine' run better.
I want the Oura to measure blood sugar and I'm all over it.
Rest is a weapon, Sleep is a game-changer

DuncDad

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Jul 8, 2016

Two things:
  1. Getting a dog. And now I have 4!
  2. Becoming a Swift Water Rescue Technician at 45, should have done it at 25 if only I knew it existed. I absolutely loved it but the fitness levels required are best kept for the younger folk
    :hilarious:

hobbsie

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Sep 16, 2021
Deleted all social media. (No, I’m not missing my school friends, I haven’t talked to in 20 years.)

Stopped watching / reading news.

Got rid of toxic people and in general everyone who drains my energy. (I believe, I do not need more than 2-3 close friends.)

Stopped listening to self-help gurus. (Most people are clueless anyways.)

Spend way less time on E-Mail. (These day about 10 minutes a day.)

Practice deep work.

Invest in the best guitar gear available on the market. It‘s just so much more fun playing and practicing with high end equipment.

Most importantly: Stop drinking! I spent more than 10 years of my life drinking and partying, basically living as a weekend alcoholic. I haven’t had a drink in several years. Today I can enjoy a glass or two.

Stopped smoking roughly five years ago.
Avoiding social media is a game changer.

Delete your accounts, and spend your time living in the real world.
Much more rewarding.

jwharton333

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Sep 23, 2022

Like others have mentioned, Stoicism was a huge game changer for me.

I was accustomed to being in control of things, and I also had a pretty hedonistic lifestyle. Quarantine seriously F*cked with me and put an end to all of that. Very little in my control anymore, no more fun parties, just me, sitting on my a$$ at home, DoorDashing more F*cking fast food.

I've always enjoyed Tim Ferriss's work, and he mentioned Stoicism in a podcast. That led me down a rabbit hole. My mental and physical health improved drastically. My mindset about difficulties and setback turned from defeat to intrigue about how they could be used to my benefit.

There's a lot of material out there, and it's pretty popular these days. Anyone struggling should take a look.

Speculatooor

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
Jul 11, 2019
Netherlands
In exact order:
#1 Hair transplant
#2 Reading books consistently
#3 Making enough money to achieve a certain freedom
#4 Bodybuilding (and clean diet)
#5 Sensible bedtimes, leaving phone in another room

I think a supportive environment is the most important of all. Friends, family, girlfriend, etc.

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
Fasting was key to improving my energy levels and controlling my weight(went from 210 to 155). It changed my life. It got me off my blood pressure meds and improved my self-confidence. We live in a society that is addicted to food.

Avoiding social media is a game changer.

As well as po*nagraphy.

1. Fast and eat a healthy diet.
2. Meditate. If you are highly resistant to it, you need it.
3. Read anything and everything.
4. Exercise. Do push-ups in your bedroom. Do anything. It’s good for your mind/brain.

I’ve centered my whole life around fasting, meditating and getting some exercise. It has significantly improved my mental health and physical health.

mikecarlooch

Apprentice & Student Of The Game
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

Before jiu jitsu, I had never been in a fight or ever stood up for myself.

This affected all areas of my life during high school, I had no balls to do anything even though I was a gym rat.

Brazilian jiu jitsu is one of those things where if you do it for long enough, it inevitably builds your confidence and character.

Also, from my experience, people who go to jiu jitsu gyms seem to be doing cool stuff in their lives.. A lot of them are heavily interested in entrepreneurship.

The people that you train with become your family. Rickson Gracie shows this in his autobiography.

You also won't encounter many yes-men. People are straight up and honest with you.

Here's one of my favorite jiu jitsu rolls ever:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4ASonA9t6c

Also check out this video of joe rogan getting his black belt
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTIb16BiGc4

doster.zach

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
197%
Oct 14, 2021
Missouri
Fasting was key to improving my energy levels and controlling my weight(went from 210 to 155). It changed my life. It got me off my blood pressure meds and improved my self-confidence. We live in a society that is addicted to food.

As well as po*nagraphy.

1. Fast and eat a healthy diet.
2. Meditate. If you are highly resistant to it, you need it.
3. Read anything and everything.
4. Exercise. Do push-ups in your bedroom. Do anything. It’s good for your mind/brain.

I’ve centered my whole life around fasting, meditating and getting some exercise. It has significantly improved my mental health and physical health.

For the people that haven’t tried a multi-day fast I recommend trying it, it opens yourself up to the fact you don’t need to eat multiple times a day(or even every day).

This helps you rid the excuse of, “well I gotta eat something so guess I’ll have to eat this airport pizza that doesnt even taste good”

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
it opens yourself up to the fact you don’t need to eat multiple times a day(or even every day).

Funny how the people around you will attack your eating habits or philosophy. When I started fasting the people around me we’re shocked. They were like “omg you gotta eat something that’s bad not to eat”. And these are people who are overweight. The biggest comment I got was “you lost weight because of depression”. Nope, I overate when I was depressed.

When I eat it’s like a ritual. I don’t eat meat and I cherish each moment and I pray. I pray to the universe for access and union to its infinite intellect.

Last edited:

Gepi

In it to win it
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Jul 3, 2018
Germany
Funny how the people around you will attack your eating habits or philosophy. When I started fasting the people around me we’re shocked. They were like “omg you gotta eat something that’s bad not to eat”. And these are people who are overweight. The biggest comment I got was “you lost weight because of depression”. Nope, I overate when I was depressed.

When I eat it’s like a ritual. I don’t eat meat and I cherish each moment and I pray. I pray to the universe for access and union to its infinite intellect.
Omg I had the exact same experience. I started fasting on Wednesdays and Fridays for religious/spiritual reasons and I love the effect it has on me. But some people around me seem to think I'm now completely anorexic and have lost it. It's my decision what I put into my body, and if I don't want to put in several times the amount humans are actually supposed to eat on every day (plus too much meat), this doesn't make me anorexic, it makes me mindful of my health and more thankful of good food once I break the fast.

Some other things that really changed my life for the better (despite us all being on the journey of life, there are some things that hugely improve overall well-being):

Healthwise: - stopped smoking long ago. Stopped taking mind-altering drugs (especially weed can really diminish your will power). Started working out (weights and cardio, yoga)

Spiritually: - meditation, yoga, visiting a monastery and blissfully accepting that I want to pray to God almighty every day

Monetary: - working towards a bachelors degree in economics. Soon will be finished and it changed the way I worked, organized myself and what kind of jobs I could get
- starting my own freelance business and hustle as an online teacher - passive income :)

Love/Family-life: - being honest about where my limits in a relationship are and what I won't accept as ok
- helping out others in need is the best thing you can do if you feel down or worthless. Even small things can go a long way.

In general: - being open to have my worldview challenged again and again, striving to learn more and more about myself and the world around me

Ending with a quote: "Do the small things" :)

Vinz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Jun 12, 2021
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

Before jiu jitsu, I had never been in a fight or ever stood up for myself.

This affected all areas of my life during high school, I had no balls to do anything even though I was a gym rat.

Brazilian jiu jitsu is one of those things where if you do it for long enough, it inevitably builds your confidence and character.

Also, from my experience, people who go to jiu jitsu gyms seem to be doing cool stuff in their lives.. A lot of them are heavily interested in entrepreneurship.

The people that you train with become your family. Rickson Gracie shows this in his autobiography.

You also won't encounter many yes-men. People are straight up and honest with you.

Here's one of my favorite jiu jitsu rolls ever:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4ASonA9t6c

Also check out this video of joe rogan getting his black belt
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTIb16BiGc4
I'm seeing jiu jitsu mentioned so often that now I want to try it.
But I'm also dedicating to bodybuilding.
Interesting that you say BJJ had more benefits in character and confidence than the gym. It seems to me it gets you a different type of confidence, one to handle confrontation perhaps ?
Interested in seeing what you think it exactly benefitted you in

mikecarlooch

Apprentice & Student Of The Game
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
I'm seeing jiu jitsu mentioned so often that now I want to try it.
But I'm also dedicating to bodybuilding.
Interesting that you say BJJ had more benefits in character and confidence than the gym. It seems to me it gets you a different type of confidence, one to handle confrontation perhaps ?
Interested in seeing what you think it exactly benefitted you in
It's not even just that it helps with confrontation

The bodybuilding lifestyle can become a very lonely thing.

Jiu jitsu is a community of extremely disciplined people that is hard to find else where, and they're not gonna let you slip. If you're not training hard enough, you're going to get left behind If you quit and don't train for 6 months while everyone else kept going, you're going to be a lower belt and have less skill than your peers. It is a constant driver to be the best that the gym doesn't have most of the time, jiu jitsu strengthens the ego to want to be the best while also giving humility and it's helped me in all walks of life. I'm a blue belt in jiu jitsu and I'd feel ashamed to be submitted by a white belt. I just can't let it happen. It holds you accountable.

When you join a jiu jitsu gym you're joining a family with friendships that seemingly for me will last a lifetime

Vinz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Jun 12, 2021
It's not even just that it helps with confrontation

The bodybuilding lifestyle can become a very lonely thing.

Jiu jitsu is a community of extremely disciplined people that is hard to find else where, and they're not gonna let you slip. If you're not training hard enough, you're going to get left behind If you quit and don't train for 6 months while everyone else kept going, you're going to be a lower belt and have less skill than your peers. It is a constant driver to be the best that the gym doesn't have most of the time, jiu jitsu strengthens the ego to want to be the best while also giving humility and it's helped me in all walks of life. I'm a blue belt in jiu jitsu and I'd feel ashamed to be submitted by a white belt. I just can't let it happen. It holds you accountable.

When you join a jiu jitsu gym you're joining a family with friendships that seemingly for me will last a lifetime
Well yeah, bodybuilding can get lonely. I tend to just be by myself when training.
But on the other side, I also like to focus and have some time by myself to destress

I once saw a meme saying "You didn't lift for long enough if you are not in silent competition with the rest of the meme" and it's exactly that for me lol. You compete in your head.

I also see the benefit of direct competition and 1vs1 (the main thing I'm intrigued by)
So I will surely make space for BJJ, hopefully in the near future !

GoldenSummer

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jun 2, 2020
Moldova

There Are 5 main things that helped me
1. Meditation(daily/ recommend medito)
2. Working out (5-6 times/weeks/ would recommend to beginners to start with a goal)
3. Reading (daily/ don't read bestsellers or any of that crap/ read unheard top quality literature that moves toward your goal)
4. p/u the Mentors/Network(this habit will save you so much time and money you will thank me later )
5. Journaling (daily/ recommend to start with a question like"what I am grateful for" )

Arithen

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Dec 13, 2021
Canada
Meal Prepping and Meal Planning

Although I've always been into health and fitness, I would also have a tendency of taking "the convenient route" often, telling myself "let's eat out because we don't have time to cook," only to go out or order something that would have taken the same amount of time as actually cooking!

With Meal prep and simply planning out the week, clean eating is infinitely easier, reaching fitness goals are infinitely easier, and best of all, it taught me a valuable lesson on designing my environment in a way that naturally leads me to better choices, rather than the lazy way out, or something that may be convenient but negatively affects me.

teogjoka

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Jan 5, 2022

Going to the gym.
Such a small task but the confidence it gives you from the way you start to look, the ability to be consistent on a task, and meeting new people all trying to better themselves was one the best decisions I could make

Dan99

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Oct 9, 2022
I grew up very sheltered and ignorant, and whilst I avoided many pitfalls and look back with immense gratitude, I still have much to learn.
The list
1. The bare basics of how people work (such primal motives for common human behaviour such as sex, drugs, alcohol, power and status were elusive to me).
2. That the things you learn can increase the amount of money you get.
3. You need to do things to learn them. General taking action.
4. Meditation.

5. The correct way to train (challenge yourself, don't fry your central nervous system, don't get injured)
6. How to stay consistent with tight schedules.
7. That entrepreneurship was a thing, that early retirement was a thing.
8. That I can control my environment.
9. It's good to spend money on investments in health, education, and time.
10. Uni is a scam unless you need/ would benefit sufficiently from the degree. and many of the people there aren't there to learn.
11. The effect of instant gratification.
12. How to handle friendship properly.
13. How to orient learning around a central project.
14. That school has an agenda too.
15. Extra-curricular activities sometimes give useless skills and aren't enjoyable
16. Some books are not providers of quality information, or enjoyable.
17. There are 'mental skills' that basically amount to party tricks unless they serve a pragmatic function (those stupid 'organisation hacks' that don't work)
18. Journaling: writing things down is good.
19. Any of the monetizable, easily available skills to side hustle online when I had hours of free time every day.
20. How to sleep. ( and to stop reading books full of anecdotes and stories)

I think that'll do.
Thank you anyone who read to the end.

piano

Trying to find the right notes
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
Sep 21, 2022
Germany
Quitting video games probably changed how I viewed life.
I realised that there were other things worth doing as well and that real life experiences are WAY better than getting some stupid a$$ high score or beating your toxic friends in Fortnite.

Other than that, I recently realised that not reading books messed with me.
After I read TMF I didn't want to action fake by reading other books, so I didn't buy other books.
A few weeks later, and I'm sitting all day on my computer chair or phone, scrolling some stupid news which only make me feel nervous and watching dumb youtube videos. I'm also listening to so much (pop-ish) music that it feels bad listening to it. Listening to Boulez feels like a blast now.
To add to that, I lost the thing that calmed me down before bed: books!
So yeah, I ordered UNSCRIPTED yesterday and I'm looking forward to not fry my brain on youtube instead.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.