The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What improved your life so much that you wish you did it sooner?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Haha reminds me of the teenager a while back who introduced himself as 100% meat only and declaring that his diet was going to make help him become a millionaire and then got upset when people pushed back.

As I said above, youth is terribly forgiving to poor or imbalanced diets.

Remember all those guys/gals in college who could eat whatever they want and never get fat? That's youth.

By the time they hit their 40s, they're fat sloths. By 50, they're on six prescription medications. Me? I'm on none. Not even an acid reflux pill, which BTW, I had to guzzle down in my 40s as I lived my "low carb" paleo life.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Interesting. Been looking at the Oura ring. Has it made a huge difference? When you first use it, is it easy to learn what to do to make the changes to sleep better?
nothing to it. they've improved the app a lot. the desktop is cool too because you can run correlation studies ..... does this affect that, does that affect this. helped me figure out to go to bed later and get up earlier was the key to better sleep! (picked up 2 hours a day that i use for working out, etc.)

Andreas Thiel

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Aug 27, 2018
Karlsruhe, Germany
As I said above, youth is terribly forgiving to poor or imbalanced diets.

Remember all those guys/gals in college who could eat whatever they want and never get fat? That's youth.

By the time they hit their 40s, they're fat sloths. By 50, they're on six prescription medications. Me? I'm on none. Not even an acid reflux pill, which BTW, I had to guzzle down in my 40s as I lived my "low carb" paleo life.
Guess that still has to kick in for me ... or maybe it never will.

I am 41 now and I have a hard time getting my hands on enough healthy food to not go crazy over the course of one day. So it is Burgers, Fries, Schnitzel or Pizza almost every day. I could order more healthy food, but it gets more expensive and is just not nearly enough to get through the day.

If I want to gain weight, I still need to add protein and do a workout. Fat just isn't happening ... even with beer added into the mix, which I mostly avoid.
Not saying I am healthy - far from it - but genetics seem to make enough of a difference that here are no hard truths that apply to everyone.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Henderson

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Jun 29, 2022
Working 100% Remote and async: Even though I am currently working as a full-time employee this single change improved my physical and mental health immensely. Now, I can go for a walk, stretch, or hit the gym whenever I please. I cook my own healthy meals, take naps when I want and there is zero office politics BS.

Stoping being afraid to walk away: I have been in a lot of exhausting and toxic relationships. Always afraid to stop taking shit. Partly because of being afraid to be alone, partly repetition compulsion. Therapy helped a lot.

Therapy and Anti-Depressants: For too long I believed that seeking help translates to being weak. For too long did I listen to the gospel of..'You just need to work out, bro. Just increase your Omega-3, bro. You don't need meds.' At a certain level lifestyle changes just don't cut it.

Starting boxing: In the gym, I learned for the first time what it really, really means to push beyond what you think is possible. Having done strength training and other forms of martial art for most of my life, I could never push myself as far as in the boxing gym. It transfers to other parts of my life. It builds confidence and makes me believe more in myself. Being on the verge of passing out. Against the ropes. Combos raining in on you. As the trainer screams at you to move you try to hold on till the bell rings. It is marvelous.

Going Vegan: Made me realize how many food insensitivities I had. In the beginning, it was just for health reasons. Then I watched Dominion on Youtube. I will never go back. Helped me physically and spiritually (in a non-woo-woo way).

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Stoping being afraid to walk away: I have been in a lot of exhausting and toxic relationships. Always afraid to stop taking shit. Partly because of being afraid to be alone, partly repetition compulsion. Therapy helped a lot.

And how did you learn to walk away? For example, when you cut ties with a friend who's toxic, do you tell them or just try to have less and less contact until it naturally dies off?

Starting boxing: In the gym, I learned for the first time what it really, really means to push beyond what you think is possible. Having done strength training and other forms of martial art for most of my life, I could never push myself as far as in the boxing gym. It transfers to other parts of my life. It builds confidence and makes me believe more in myself. Being on the verge of passing out. Against the ropes. Combos raining in on you. As the trainer screams at you to move you try to hold on till the bell rings. It is marvelous.

100%

I've been practicing MMA since February (striking only) and it's crazy how much you can push yourself to exhaustion yet you still need to be present enough to remember what to do or how to defend yourself.

Going Vegan: Made me realize how many food insensitivities I had. In the beginning, it was just for health reasons. Then I watched Dominion on Youtube. I will never go back. Helped me physically and spiritually (in a non-woo-woo way).

I never watched any of these videos but I read some books and that was enough to switch from vegetarianism to veganism.

ApeRunner

Very Fast on a Bike
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
326%
May 16, 2014
Cozumel
Guess that still has to kick in for me ... or maybe it never will.

I am 41 now and I have a hard time getting my hands on enough healthy food to not go crazy over the course of one day. So it is Burgers, Fries, Schnitzel or Pizza almost every day. I could order more healthy food, but it gets more expensive and is just not nearly enough to get through the day.

If I want to gain weight, I still need to add protein and do a workout. Fat just isn't happening ... even with beer added into the mix, which I mostly avoid.
Not saying I am healthy - far from it - but genetics seem to make enough of a difference that here are no hard truths that apply to everyone.
Same here. I'm 42. Thin as always. Maybe a slightly bigger belly. Buy I do eat a lot of trash.

I would like to buy protein as before, but I'm broke right now. I do want to discipline myself this year by weightlifting.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
@MJ DeMarco I struggle to eat more plants in my diet, and I have been wanting to do more vegetarian or vegan days and cut out some meat and dairy. My wife and daughter are also extremely sensitive to eating red meat and their digestion will me messed up for days after eating red meat.

Do you have a good resource for meals and snacks? There is so much fluff to sift through on the internet now.

Thanks in advance!

To the OP: buying a mountain bike again. I rode religiously as a kid and teenager, and then stopped from when I was about 18-30 years old. When I was roughly 30 or 31 I got a bike again and ride the heck out of it. I can push myself and do proper workouts, or take it easy and almost meditate and clear my head while in the forest. It hits multiple things at the same time, while keeping me physically active.

My older brother was a big biker when he was younger too, and stopped in his 20s. I pushed him to get a bike again and ride with me. Since he picked it back up he has lost about 70lbs and his eating and physical parts of his life have completely turned around. The bike has literally extended his life and improved every area of it.

I never should have stopped biking. As far as mental, spiritual, physical... Anything at all. The single most impactful thing that makes everything else in my life better is biking. It makes me a better husband, father, learner, I respect the planet more, my stress goes down, my resolve to be better goes up... You name it!

Albert KOUADJA

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Mar 13, 2022
reading food labels. Doing stuff to eliminate heavy metals / parasites. Drinking tea. Learning of

Saw this question on Reddit and thought it was a pretty thought-provoking question that may lead to some interesting answers.

It can be whatever in any aspect of your life, both big and small things.

I would have liked to start my personal development since college.
I would have liked to be surrounded by entrepreneurs from a very young age.
I would have liked to make decisions coming solely from me rather.
I would have liked to know this forum or read the TMF book rather.
I would have liked to leave Facebook sooner rather I spent so much time there without selling anything. lately I've been more than a month and a half without connecting to Facebook. Last time I logged in I posted an article.
I would have liked....

So many things...

pickeringmt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
364%
Apr 24, 2014
Self-acceptance

Letting go of all the judgmental bullshit that keeps you focused on turning everything into a statement about what kind of person you are and comparing yourself to other people.

Once you recognize that you are just a human being working on stuff and all that matters is getting better at working on it you can actually start to live your life you can start doing what you need to do to get your own approval instead of looking for it from everything else.

Ronnie Bryan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
May 4, 2015
Oklahoma
Throwing myself into sales it was a wake up call . Reading TMF it opened my eyes .Joining the Marines it taught me how to follow dependable leaders .I lacked leadership in the home.Both my parents were sidewalkers who had no idea how to achieve goals..plan far ahead...or go beyond hoping to win the lottery. Setting my mind to work on achieving what other's said was too hard or that they would never do helped me the most.I wish I would have started doing that at 13.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

I can't bear to watch it. I think I'll be traumatized for life.

@MJ DeMarco I struggle to eat more plants in my diet, and I have been wanting to do more vegetarian or vegan days and cut out some meat and dairy. My wife and daughter are also extremely sensitive to eating red meat and their digestion will me messed up for days after eating red meat.

Do you have a good resource for meals and snacks?

That's my wife's department. On the meal side, Ill snap a photo of all her recipe and cookbooks tomorrow and post it here. As for snacks, there's too many options there to list. And a lot of that stuff is processed and might not help improve digestive issues. Hell, most potato chips are vegan.

BAUCE

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Jun 21, 2021
Just google MTF and you'll see thousands of pictures
talk about fitting image
100104.jpg

yagya567

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Apr 3, 2022
My morning meditation,

Never knew back then that there could be a way to raise awareness to such an extent,

Now, 20min of meditation in the morning and get so much productive for the day.

Really wish i knew this sooner !
With regards to meditation..often awareness and rise in consciousness is quoted..

What exactly is indicated by it?
Is it..
Ability to arrive at core causes of problem faster?
Streamline productive thoughts?
Faster learning?
..would be grateful if you could elaborate

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
541%
Apr 17, 2022

Henderson

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Jun 29, 2022
I can't bear to watch it. I think I'll be traumatized for life.
Those two hours were the most unspeakable thing I have ever seen in my life. I had to stop after like six minutes and I cried. It is strange to me how we have a rating scale for other beings. Like we pamper dogs, cats, and other pets. Anyway, I don't want to derail the conversation here.

And how did you learn to walk away? For example, when you cut ties with a friend who's toxic, do you tell them or just try to have less and less contact until it naturally dies off?
Learned it through two things mostly:

1. Therapy
2. Having a romantic relationship with a woman that was kind and had a big heart. It was/ is exposure to how things could be different.

Yes, letting things die-off is the most natural for friendships. It is quite natural too. People just evolve in different directions. And if they are not on the same path anymore you just phase them out.

Cait Mack

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Jul 2, 2022

Saw this question on Reddit and thought it was a pretty thought-provoking question that may lead to some interesting answers.

Publishing content online every day. Waking up early. My morning health routine. Investing regularly. All things I wish I started doing 10 years before I started doing them.

Strika

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Apr 25, 2019
France
- Discovering the self-help world: sure, I read a lot of useless books that just give you a short-lived burst of motivation, but a few of them have made a definite impact on me (mindset, flow...). I'm taking action on things, that I considered 'just not my thing' before.

- Barbell training : I used to F*ck around for years on machines, with no real program, no tracking of progress... and no success. Doing the starting strength program helped me build muscle mass, and fixed my knee pain.

- Learning about the red pill: I was the biggest loser with women. I was always the nice guy, putting them in a pedestal, always putting their needs first. The red pill opened my eyes, and allowed me to see that they are not angels, just human beings. It was hard to let go of my illusions, and it made me bitter at first, but now I just accept them just the way they are, I just don't see them as these innocent and angelic creatures.

- Salsa dancing : It's so much fun. And a good way to meet people. I wish I had started earlier so I wouldn't have spent the saturdays of my 20s in front of my computer screen.

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
Traveling and living in different countries. Definitely let me escape my comfort zone at a young age, and allowed me to experience new cultures and different ways of life.

wyattnorton

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
209%
Jan 15, 2019
Northern IL & Southeastern WI
Two quotes from my pops that I consistently return to:

1. Tell me what you fear and I'll tell you why you're wrong.
2. Why wait till tomorrow when you can do it today.

For number one, it is about taking a step of courage. Like going up to the girls I was interested in and talking to them. I found that each thing I somehow had fear towards ALWAYS have some bullshit idea behind them.

For number two, it is always about why am I waiting until tomorrow to do something when I can just do it right now. Like getting contractors to my 2 flip houses, listing items on eBay, eating healthy, etc.

dimalicious

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Jul 6, 2022

I always wanted everything to be perfect when i did something, whathever i tried it had to be done perfectly. So if i was to start working out i would adopt a specific hardcore routine that was merciless fastroad to my goal, or in some assignment i did it ahd to be perfectly executed from the heavy research to the actual creation itself. What ended up happening was as soon as i lost a day in the workout schedule id really take a hit psychologically because im no longer moving as fast as i need to, or as efficiently, and i am trash because i cant keep a 'simple' schedule/routine. Id soon miss another day, and now id be on the edge, then id miss a second dayin a row and id stop working out for a year because id be broken. If for a school course id half a$$ the research id again feel insecure that it wasnt done properly bc i know it needed the dedication adn time to be done correctly id quit altogether on the assigment because it has no chance of being perfect now.

As you can imagine, always pushing perfection and caring too much, and without taking baby steps to build momentum and comitment or by caring. Instead of being jacked af in 2 years and peak athletic form, i worked out a month total in those 2 years. Instead of getting a 95% on the assignment I handed in a piece of crap that was also late and deducted a grade for being late. In trying to do everything perfect i ended up quitting everything and doing nothing at all.

Lately i was able to stay on a workout plan and other product goals because i stopped giving a shit if it was perfect and instead set maneagable goals that wouldnt burn me out. For ex, instead of 2h workouts 4 times a week as before, the routines were now tops 45mins-hour, and if i had a bad day because i slept like a$$ or my knee hurt (which usually irritates me so much i just go home), now id show up and just do a super light or easy version of the workout. So although my workout werent perfect everytime, i managed to stay consistent for the vast majority of times and show up for months and months. I finally saw great progress :).

Its funny because my dad saw this in me years ago and would preach this always, and i just zoned out at this point and ddint listen. I shared my progress to him recently and broke down all the creative solutions i made that were on the surface insignificant but that lead me to stay on course for so long. He patiently heard me out before pointing out how hes been saying this for years and it hit me like. brick that i didnt even take what he said seriously anymore, and it made me really sad.

Kind of alot, idk anyone else in my friends and family group that has had these issues, but applying this 'no longer does something have to be perfect' attitude to other aspects of my life has made a ginourmous change in the quality of life for me and increased my achieving of goals. If your like me, you really gotta stop with that bullshit and just show up everyday, instead of making sure everyday is perfect or else. I recently read Atomic Habits and realized that i accidently stumbled on one of those core concepts; consisntently showing up on a bad day is more important than being perfect on a good day. The book is amazing, and now i structure everything i want to do and want to stop doing with its strategies. Although i am not achieving my goals at the rates of speed id want, i am consistently moving up and i can feel it.

Hope that helps someone

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
Big one: I went vegan in my late 40s. Every chronic ailment that I dealt with in my 40s (and spent $1000s of dollars on trying to diagnose/fix) disappeared in my 50s. Even had a scar on my face for 48 years which suddenly disappeared. Nothing dramatically changed at 48, other than dropping my Paleo, heavy protein low-carb diet to mostly plant-based, raw food and/or unprocessed food. On top of that, going plant-based has given me a great respect for all forms of sentient life which I felt I always had, but didn't live through my actions. I'd never murder a chicken, or pay someone to directly do so, but I'd have no problem eating one (and hence, indirectly paying someone for the slaughter). Going plant-based resolved this "I love animals" incongruity, a big source of cognitive dissonance in my life.

Buy a Water-Pik flosser for your mouth and combine with daily brushing. It will save you longer cleanings and big dental expenses. Nothing worse than laying in a dental chair for 2 hours with a rubber dam strapped to your mouth.

Big one: I stopped my daily visits on social media, and it improved my life.

And I stopped watching any network news, or news put out by big-tech/big-media platforms.

I stopped paying attention to politics, whereas before, I paid attention in an effort to make my "vote" count. Voting is worthless as the morons far outweigh and outbreed any intelligent opposition. I'll never vote again for the rest of my life as the last election showed me everything I need to know about that clown show, legit or not. Voting shows I consent for one of the two political parties, which I do not. They're both corrupt organizations who maniupulate the masses for their own gain.

Big one: Stop worrying about what other people think, quite possibly the hardest thing to do for me outside of going plant-based. This is a big one for young people -- the less "F*cks" you give about what random strangers think (not customers) the more success and happiness you will have.

Big one: I stop participating in organized religion which, like politics, is mostly about control, money, and manipulation, and instead, I started focusing on spiritual growth and enlightenment. When I noticed most churches (including my large Christian Church) were more opulently appointed than my own home (imported stone, marble, granite, shimmering chandeliers) the light bulb went off. No, this doesn't mean I'm an atheist, it means I have more faith in the higher power than I do humans entrusted with bringing truth to bear about a higher-power.

Bottomline, I'm all-in on living my life right now, while not giving any fuel to "what may happen," "who said what," or "who might do what" a few months from now.

In a funny case of irony, I stopped going to Reddit and it improved my life. Although this thread posted above has some great gems worth a read.
Thanks for suggesting the Water-Pik flosser. Mine arrived yesterday.

I was thinking about it in the past but forgot about it and decided to take the plunge a few days ago after reading your reply.

I'm always looking for things that improve my quality of life or health.

iivalky

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Jul 9, 2022
Canada

Mine is pretty simple, yet it is so effective. I wish I started my career far earlier. If I did so, I couldn't even imagine how much I could have scaled it... My business could be ten times larger than it currently is, even if I started it just a few years earlier.

Brandaris

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jun 29, 2022
Netherlands
1. Exercising
2. Making the choices you think are best and not doing what is 'expected' from you.
3. Quit social media / large news websites etc. All those are programmed to make you addicted and will consume more time than you like.
4. Skip the friends that only consume time and energy.
5... probably many more

But big disclaimer here: all the 'bad' choices I made in the past have eventually led me to realize what I should and what I shouldn't do. Someone telling me those things would not have helped, I need to see/realize it myself before I actually change something.

I guess it all boils down to taking action. Make your own choices and pursue them with 100% commitment. That's the quickest way to learn from them and grow into the person you want to be.

Vinz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Jun 12, 2021
May be one of the most common responses, but the #1 is lifting.
Totally changed me. I'm a completely different person and the confidence is fantastic.

Also positive affirmations tracks. May sound cringy. But just try it. Subconscious reprogramming is a real thing. You need to program it with something that helps you. To do that you need to constantly send to your mind positive messages.
It's wonderful when their effects start to show !

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
1) Had kids. I didn’t become a dad till I was 37.

2) Learned to say No. I’m still not good at it. It’s amazing how much faster things grow when you focus on them.

3) Let it go. Friends who went a different direction. Being right. Trying to force things to go at a certain pace. Etc.

John TenBrink

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jan 26, 2018
Raleigh

Living out a stronger understanding of LOVE and GRACE and reciprocating more LOVE/GRACE to others.

Admittedly, In my early days, I lived fast and selfishly based on insecurities.

Since LOVING more and extending GRACE, my joy skyrocketed, I walk more humbly, and I found immense freedom from self!

Ceesjan

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Jan 6, 2015
1. Daily meditation. I've been doing this consistently for the past year and it helped me tremendously.
2. Going out there and connecting with people who are on a similar journey. Where 10 years ago I didn't have many entrepreneurial friends, nowadays most of them are. Included changing my lifestlye completely, and in my case, living overseas for most of my 20s.
3. Finding mentors. In my opinion, one of the fastest "shortcuts" out there (not a big believer in shortcuts but if there are any shortcuts, having a mentor comes close).

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.