• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

2. Forum *Official* Book Discussion
    Influence, The Psychology of Persuasion by Robert Cialdini

The forum has voted to discuss this book. Grab it and let's discuss!
    Buy: Buy | Discuss: Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion(Review | Discuss)

NOTABLE! What if you already know enough?

Discussion in 'Education, Learning, Books' started by Andy Black, Oct 13, 2018.

1. Thinh

Thinh Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $347
    Thanks @Andy Black, I needed to read that exactly right now.

Let's not learn just in case, but just in time.

Roz and Andy Black like this.
  2. Smuggo

Smuggo Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $656
    This is basically me for the last month. Trying to launch my first business and doing this all-around stuff. I need to remember this topic. Thanks! :happy:

Andy Black likes this.
  3. GoGetter24

GoGetter24 Gold Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,723
    The truth is you don't know anything until you get started.

Content knowledge and experience knowledge are not in the same league at all. Ten hours of content knowledge is worth less than one hour of experience knowledge.

At the same time, if you launch into something big without knowledge, you're going to get wrecked.

The solution is to start small projects, and finish them, and then to increase the size/difficulty of the next project, and so on.

Jello, Jirawan MM, Kalps and 3 others like this.
  4. S.Y.

S.Y. Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,792
    Gold!

Consume less, do more.

The best way to learn is practice. Practice brings your pseudo-understandings to the surface. It shines the light on your limitations.

That's said, learning from others is also important. Learning from books and podcast or blogs.. Has it place.

And if so, what is the solution?
    1. Have a bias for action.
    2. Just in time learning

PS: "The average CEO reads 60 books a year". Have you heard that before? It might be true. I don't know. What I know is this phrase made me focus on quantity over quality for a while. Beware!

Lee H and Andy Black like this.
  5. Thinh

Thinh Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $347
    Exactly: the average CEO. They read 60 books a year because they're CEO, not the other way around.

It's like lately you hear everywhere "successful CEOs like Tim Cook get up at 3am to go to work."

Yeah, he wakes up that early because he's the CEO of one of the most valuable companies in the world. He's not Apple's CEO because he wakes up at 3am everyday.

Andy Black likes this.
  6. Ninjakid

Ninjakid Platinum Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $12,436
    You will never know everything there is to know

7. Andy Black

Andy Black Any colour, as long as it's red. Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $182,216
    The Abundant Man likes this.
  8. ned.ryerson

ned.ryerson Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $738
    I often tell my students that if they would only execute the knowledge they already have they probably wouldn't need to learn anything new for quite a while

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Roz and Andy Black like this.
  9. Tony Tong

Tony Tong Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $295
    This is ...GOLD.

10. LiveEntrepreneur

LiveEntrepreneur Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,481
    Holy shit Andy, great thread! This part really caught my eye:

“You’ve been taught to consume and read your way out of problems.

You’ve been programmed whenever a new challenge comes up to instantly go searching for a book or course."

I'm definitely guilty of this.

Though I don't see how this has anything to do with the script, in terms of reading your way out of problems. It does make sense to me in terms of consuming.

Tony Tong and Andy Black like this.
  11. Andy Black

Andy Black Any colour, as long as it's red. Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $182,216
    I think it’s a big part of the script.

You need a degree in business or entrepreneurship before you start a business.

You need to spend money on a course before you’re good enough to help someone.

You need a piece of paper before you should even compete.

Here, get training as part of your package when you come work for us. That training would be thousands if you were to pay for it yourself. You need that additional training to advance your career.

What do you need?

OMDA, Olimac21 and LiveEntrepreneur like this.
  12. LiveEntrepreneur

Rep Bank:
    $1,481
    Ah, that makes sense. Though I have a question to you, if you are stuck on a problem you need to use a resource to solve it right? Are you only recommending free solutions like google to avoid the consumer mentality? Though Google I find is full of rubbish most of the time.

Andy Black likes this.
  13. Andy Black

Rep Bank:
    $182,216
    Do what you have to do to get over that hurdle. It could well mean paying someone to teach you, do it with you, or do it for you.

LiveEntrepreneur likes this.
  14. LiveEntrepreneur

Rep Bank:
    $1,481
    Ok thanks. I am struggling to uderstand it a bit but i think what you are trying to say is. When u have a problem u dont to go out and buy entire courses or books for that one problem. But sometimes it may require it? Is this right?

Andy Black likes this.
  15. Tony Tong

Tony Tong Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $295
    Here's my opinion.
    Yes sometimes you do need to self-educate and get a course or book, but instead of going chapter-by-chapter you jump straight to your specific problem and just focus on executing it, instead of reading the entire book and "revising old concepts" and get trapped in the joy of reading (which can feel more pleasurable than actually doing)

Andy Black likes this.
  16. whiz

whiz Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,516
    Good post.

I love how you said you could have consumed for 1hr but you decide to produce.

I came back this forum like a week ago to ask my lead gen question, and I was so happy with the value exchange that I've just been going on a rampage trying to answer/help on any posts I can

I find that I gain MUCH more clarity through posting than I could ever gain from reading

I end up backspacing my sentences, sitting and questioning myself, asking "why am I advising this" or "is this the right way to explain this?" or "how could I make this more clear?" etc.

Same with working - you can read all you want but it's only until you start working that you start going "ohhhhhh....."

Anyways, yeah - get started ASAP - but also be careful.

I got my first SEO client when I didn't know ANYTHING, I read for maybe 1 week, and never had an SEO client ever lol.

So I put a man's business - a man's livelihood - at risk. It all worked out but I still kinda feel a little bad for the risk. That's how he feeds his kids, yanno?

But when the pressure is on, you kinda learn really fast so...

I don't really know what to advise. Just find the balance between "I gotta read 3873873 books" and "I'm gonna rearrange this mans business strategy with no knowledge at all!"

There's a way to ease into these things. Especially with the internet. If you're a new copywriter, you don't have to take up a client right away. You can write 10 sales letters and post them on here to see what we think of them and where we can help.

If you do paid ads, you can take $100-500 and mess around selling a service in your area (even if you don't have a service) - just make a landing page and put your personal number on it. Then when people call for a plumber just get their address then connect them with a good plumber. Or tell them sorry wrong number - whatever

Or if you have an idea for a product or something - do the same thing. Say you wanna sell slippers that look like dog feet or something... Make a landing page and set up a checkout and everything, complete with your pictures and copy and blahblah

But when they put in CC info and go to buy, it's out of stock "Sorry, we'll have em in soon!"

Basically I'm saying to stop making ginormous plans unless you have experience making/conquering medium plans. And don't make medium plans unless you have experience making/conquering small plans.

Whatever big goal you have - there's a small version of it that you can start RIGHT NOW

Wanna open up a carpet cleaning company?

Ok just buy some secondhand cleaning equipment and some carpet tiles from home depot, then throw wine and shit on the carpet and start F*cking around and finding out how shit works, how various type of stains react with the carpet blahblah

Just spitballing ideas but you get the point

There's ALWAYS something you can do RIGHT NOW

Put down the book and pull out a blank piece of paper and be uncomfortable until you come up with an actual, actionable task you can do. Screw theory

Also don't get caught up in planning - that's mental masturbation too

Write ACTIONABLE tasks and do them

Be the boss and employee

Write instructions like a boss and follow them like an employee - that's how I've found to get shit done

17. Real Deal Denver

Real Deal Denver Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $8,898
    Love your posts @whiz. I'm guessing you're young. Mid twenties?

I've been slaving over a digital marketing plan for 3 months. By three months, I mean 10 hours a day minimum, 7 days a week. Yeah, I'd sure like to "jump in" and get it done. Doesn't work that way.

To summarize the work, it included learning how to create world class printed materials (flyers, etc.) creating logos (closely related), mastering photo and publishing software to make custom graphics, creating websites, integrating them with CRM software, creating custom emails (graphic), copy writing, learning SEO, learning keyword research, AdWords, Social Media - - - and combining ALL of this together as a marketing machine - WHILE creating the actual content/message/sales techniques along the way. One side (the methods) cannot exist without the other side (the product/service) and they have to mesh together at multiple levels. Oh, and better track it all the while, and do some A/B testing too. I also embed hidden codes in everything so I know what is most effective and thus where to concentrate my resources. I'm not saying I'm good at this. I am acceptable. I am a mere beginner, I'm sure, to many people here. In my industry, however, I'm a giant. It's all relative - I'm both a peon and a super hero.

The reason I mention all of this is this... there is no way on Earth anyone is going to jump into that and learn it as they go.

I recently finished my first phase. A phase is I have a product/service and the means to launch it full force. A ton of work. But guess what? Now that it's done, I have cloned it six times. It's targeted to six distinct audiences, tailored to fit key search words/phrases exactly. Within 24 hours I will modify it to approach a different market, and clone it again six times. After the third time, I'm going to focus one one segment out of my six markets and really work to boost that up. Then the next, etc.

Although it took me 3 long agonizing months (actually 6, if consider a work week to be 40 hours) I have now reached the finish line. For the first "phase" of the relay race. Or the first "inning." From here on out, it's divide and conquer.

Just wanted to show you a different perspective.

It's like learning Chinese. Sure I can do it. Anyone can. But it isn't going to happen within a month or two. Maybe a good year to have an acceptable level. Not good, but perhaps acceptable at least.

Here's one TINY thing, just as an example of what I have to wrestle with. I just found the answer tonight, actually. You can't embed short code text into a button that links to a URL. That seems stupid to me, but my tech support says it can't be done. Programmers can figure out things, but they can't think too broadly. This should be an easy function to implement. It would be a great feature for the SAAS crowd out there to figure out. If you don't know what I'm talking about, skip it and consider yourself lucky. It's crap like that which I've been studying for months.

This has been the most frustrating thing I've ever done. Certainly the most concentrated. I hope it turns out to be worth it ~ Now back to work.

Edwin Fernandez likes this.
  18. whiz

whiz Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,516
    27 how'd you guess?

Hopefully it will be worth it.

When I'm saying "jump right in" I mean to verify things on a small scale before spending a crazy amount of resources (time, money) on an idea.

I think some people call it the MVP idea (minimum viable product)

You make the smallest feasible prototype of a product or service and try to sell it, and if you can, then you know you can scale it once you actually have a fully-fleshed product

I'm just saying I favor action because I see a lot of people planning out things, scrutinizing over every detail, and worrying about problems that they don't yet have...

Then they launch and no one buys, and they give up a week later

I'm talking about people new to entrepreneurial stuff - if you're experienced then go ahead and plan out something big

But I think if you're a noob, you should just stop being afraid of trying to be perfect - you should just get yourself out there and fail

Then once you've been around the block a couple times, then try a big product

But if you've never sold anything to anyone or made a dollar outside of a job, its important that you get that feeling ASAP so you know how it feels. You have to let your brain register it

Real Deal Denver likes this.
  19. Real Deal Denver

Real Deal Denver Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $8,898
    You have 27 written all over you!

That's a very good thing, by the way!

I started my first company when I was 25. Over the years, I've noticed that 25-35 are the peak years for most men as far as drive and focus. After that, the drive decreases, but is compensated in other ways.

But at 27? Whoa - you're a wild mustang full of vigor! Enjoy that, because it won't last forever. Since I'm so much smarter now, one of my projects is a time machine. Yeah, those late 20's/early 30's are a great time in your life!

Thanks for the additional insight, by the way. Your posts are always at the top of my list to read.

whiz likes this.
  20. NaPal

NaPal Done > Perfect Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,832
    Hit the nail on the head Andy.

There comes a point where you must put down the books and stop salivating over online forums and the success of others. IMO 3-5 books is enough. Browsing the forums for 2 months is enough.

It becomes a distraction. All of a sudden yours days are spent on books/forums rather than taking action. I believe the best examples on this forum are not regulars, because they get it, why add one more thing to the daily list when I could be producing for my ventures?

I frown every time I see a post asking "what wordpress theme should I use" or "I don't have a logo yet so I can't make a sale" or "I need a website, that's priority #1". None of this matters......This just shows the OP has not yet woken up.

If you don't know how to do something.....google it
    If you need recommendations........google it
    If you need to learn an industry........google it
    If you need anything..........google it

It's an interesting time we're living in.

ClaverCasley, Bora.s and Andy Black like this.
  21. Andy Black

Rep Bank:
    $182,216
    For those of you considering another course, another book or another podcast before you start:

What would you do if you already knew enough?

Isaac Oh, Zcott and Tidder Jail like this.
  22. 404profound

404profound Gold Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $6,589
    You cannot know what you need to know until you begin on a path to do something. Along the path you discover what you need to learn, and you learn as you go. You cannot know enough, because you cannot anticipate what knowledge is required until the next problem presents itself.

Tommo, OhMyGuersh and Andy Black like this.
  23. Ernman

Ernman Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,050
    Great thread Andy - thanks for kicking it off. For what little it's worth, I agree with your position. Research is important, but at some point one must do something to really learn. For instance, I recently started a YouTube channel. First it was watching various types of YouTube channels, then how to vids, then a YouTube for dummies, then...ok just start the channel and really learn. That forced me to learn how to use Camtasia and Snagit. Turns out there's was a lot more I could do with my Adobe photoshop that I wasn't aware of. And each post is - I believe - better than the last one. As human we are experiential, so we need to get out and experience things.

Andy Black likes this.
  24. PizzaOnTheRoof

PizzaOnTheRoof Burger Rotation Specialist Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,436
    Don’t know who came up with it but “Just in time learning” is the concept.

Learn. Act. Learn. Act. Learn. Act.

Andy Black and Ernman like this.
  25. TreyAllDay

TreyAllDay Whatever it takes Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $6,392
    Agreed. Take action first and learn as you go - that way you know what you need to learn.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

Andy Black likes this.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.