The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

NOTABLE! What if you already know enough?

Defection

Contributor
Oct 29, 2019
Many of you are constantly looking for something else to consume so you can finally become a producer.
I chose to clear my head not fill it.
I know it's an old thread, but these quotes are gold. I feel that a lot of the newcomers to this forum can benefit a lot from what has been mentioned here.

At the time I read this, I had accumulated around 30 tabs at the top of my Chrome browser with threads that I was planning to read next.

I try to consume everything in one go instead of breaking things down into chunks to make them easier to digest.

I was also wondering how on earth @Andy Black finds the time to provide as much value to the forum as he does. The reality? I'll be reading 30 threads, he'll be implementing work.

I needed this today. It's time for me to start getting sh*t done. Thanks Andy!

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

elusive97

Bronze Contributor
Nov 28, 2019
Yorkshire
You’ve been taught to consume and read your way out of problems.

You’ve been programmed whenever a new challenge comes up to instantly go searching for a book or course.

This is how deep the script has it’s claws in you.
Andy the way you write and get across ideas is amazing, it's inspirational, I always get pulled in when reading!

I wasn't a great student and only reluctantly went to college at 16, but I feel like after engaging with too much of the ClickFunnels community I started to consume and research too much.

After stopping letting those take up my free time, I soon felt better about myself. Before I found FLF I was actually the opposite of what you mention at the start here!

I thought I was an incredible Facebook expert who could do anything, then I joined FLF (thanks to a Reddit suggestion) and saw that I don't have all the answers and do have more to learn.

Or at least, even if in practice I knew what to do, I'm not able to communicate these ideas effectively prior to experience with them. Talking to people with businesses totally different to ones I've ran, I've realised I don't have all the Facebook marketing solutions yet

I actually referred another Redditor here as I couldn't answer his social media marketing question, and it's only the part of his business that he's really struggling with. I want to help him so bad but I just haven't been able to. One thing I like about FLF is that there are so many people willing to help.

OP
OP
Andy Black

Andy Black

Any colour, as long as it's red.
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Thanks for reading, replying, and your kinds words.

I've realised I don't have all the Facebook marketing solutions yet
You don't need them all @elusive97. You just need enough to help someone.

Business is simple: Help people. Get paid.

Now then... maybe this call might help you:

Leo Hendrix

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Apr 15, 2014
The most obvious danger of consuming too much is that it turns you into a consumer.

A lot of that “free” (and paid) content out there is designed to turn you into someone else’s consumer. (And it’s not free btw... not unless you put zero value on the time it took to consume that “free” content.)

You probably knew this right?

But here’s something I’ve noticed from PMs with a couple of thousand forum members:

Many of you don’t think you know enough to get started.

Many of you are constantly looking for something else to consume so you can finally become a producer.

I think the more insidious, hidden, danger of consuming is that it makes you think you don’t already know enough to start.

I always imagine a young lad knocking on the door with a lawnmower in tow.

“Hey mister. Do you need your grass cut?”

“Not today thanks.”

“No thanks. Maybe another time.”

“Oh wow. I was just thinking of finding someone to cut my grass. Yes please.”

(I live in a very polite little world.)

You know what that lad didn’t do?

He didn’t think:

“I better get a logo.”

“I better get a website.”

“I don’t know enough about cold calling.”

“I better go to the library and get a heap of books out on how to start a business.”

Here in this forum we’d call all of the above “action faking.”

Many of us know to give ourselves a stern talking to when we catch ourselves action faking.

But did you know the super dangerous rabbit-hole awaiting you if you set foot in the library?

“Oh boy. I didn’t realise I needed to know about marketing as well as just starting a business.”

“Uh-oh... I didn’t even know I needed to create avatars of my ideal customers before I go knocking on doors. What if I go round the wrong estate?”

“USP?! Whoa. I’m glad I came into the library today. I didn’t even know that I didn’t know about USPs.”

“Scaling? Growth? What’s that mean? Should I even try to start a grass cutting business?”

“OMG... look at all this stuff I didn’t know I needed to learn before I even step out of the house and speak to people this fine Saturday afternoon.”

I’m working with a career salesman at the moment. I’m hoping to onboard him so he can help me get more local service business clients.

He kept telling me of all the courses he’s been on and all the books he’s read.

That’s ok. I won’t hold that against him. He’s been a salesman over the course of 20 years, and been on the road most of that time.

“Dude. Don’t set “appointments”. Just meet for a chat over a coffee.”

“Dude. Don’t bring that hardback A4 book. Here, I got you a small black Moleskine.”

The best bit from one of our chats this week?

“Andy. This is great. I’m really enjoying just chatting to people. I love this word “chat”. I’m having to deprogramme myself from all that corporate bullshit I used to have to go through.”

Bingo!

Many of you are straight out of school or college.

You’ve been taught to consume and read your way out of problems.

You’ve been programmed whenever a new challenge comes up to instantly go searching for a book or course.

This is how deep the script has it’s claws in you. And the further you got into the education system the deeper those claws.

I get it. I was a good student. I got my degree. I worked a cubicle for nearly 2 decades. I took the courses. I Googled for “books on XYZ”. I took “evening classes on ABC”. I even decided I “needed” an MSc to get ahead.

I learned slowly that the lad with the lawnmower (who may very well have dropped out of school btw) was street-smart where I was book-smart.

And that he was streets ahead of me.

Then one day someone asked me a very simple question:

“Andy. What if you already know enough?”

Oh.

We all want to join team producer right? The best way is to produce more, not consume more.

What if you already know enough?

PS: This was all *produced* on my phone on a coach to the airport.

PPS: I could have consumed a podcast for the hour, or I could have produced a post in that hour. I chose to gain clarity by producing, to help others by producing, and to not clutter up my head with yet more “knowledge”.

I chose to clear my head not fill it.
Thanks Andy.

How does this contrast with just in time learning? What if what you are working on is best not learned on the job or as it comes up, and preparation is necessary for better execution/production?

OP
OP
Andy Black

Andy Black

Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Thanks Andy.

How does this contrast with just in time learning? What if what you are working on is best not learned on the job or as it comes up, and preparation is necessary for better execution/production?
I love just in time learning. I try to focus on the hurdle in front of me and not the one way beyond, and that’s what just in time learning is about.

Though I’ll say again that I’ve nothing against learning per se. I’m just aware that it can be a slippery slope as well as an action fake.

The lines that keep me in check are:

“You can’t invoice for input.” (Blaise Brosnan)

“Overthinking is the art of solving problems you don’t have.”

elusive97

Bronze Contributor
Nov 28, 2019
Yorkshire
I love just in time learning. I try to focus on the hurdle in front of me and not the one way beyond, and that’s what just in time learning is about.

Though I’ll say again that I’ve nothing against learning per se. I’m just aware that it can be an a slippery slope as well as an action fake.

The lines that keep me in check are:

“You can’t invoice for input.” (Blaise Brosnan)

“Overthinking is the art of solving problems you don’t have.”
But don't you need to learn quite a bit in advance to show you can solve the potential clients problem before they start paying you? For example those people I said I wasn't sure how I was able to help, had I been a call, even just saying 'honestly I'm not sure how to do that, but I'm a quick learner and will figure a way' isn't going to inspire much confidence and lead to a sale surely?

OP
OP
Andy Black

Andy Black

Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
But don't you need to learn quite a bit in advance to show you can solve the potential clients problem before they start paying you? For example those people I said I wasn't sure how I was able to help, had I been a call, even just saying 'honestly I'm not sure how to do that, but I'm a quick learner and will figure a way' isn't going to inspire much confidence and lead to a sale surely?
People want to hire problem solvers. Sure, they would prefer to hire someone with a track record of solving the problem they believe they have. But if you’ve solved similar problems then that’s often enough.

“Hey Andy. Can you help me run the Google Ads for my shepherd business?”

“Hmmm. I’ve only run ads for blacksmiths. I don’t know if will work exactly the same. At a guess I’d try A, B, and C. I think we’d know in a month or two if it’s going to work. Do you want to test it?”

“Sure. Let’s try that process and see where we end up in a month.”

I have a process and people buy that.

OP
OP
Andy Black

Andy Black

Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
That's a great way of putting it! I think the process is what I'm still figuring out, I need it to be broader than my existing one (when working for myself) to apply to more businesses more effectively
Just apply your current process to one business? Your process will evolve the more times you apply it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Sponsored Offers

Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
-- HALLOWEEN SPECIAL STARTS TODAY! Get any of my courses at Udemy's current best price through Friday! Use code: HALLOWEEN Use any of the links...
Top Bottom