The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What I learned spending $40k and one year launching my app.

adaaaam

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
658%
Jan 12, 2020
Hi all, I'm am occassional browser, rare poster here. Earlier this year I posted about a music networking app I was building called Artyst. Well it finally launched just last week, so I thought I'd check in and share what I learned.

Hopefully this will be useful to someone thinking about launching an app. Maybe you can avoid some of the mistakes I made. Happy to go into more detail if anyone's curious!

--------

This post is the story of Artyst, my just-launched music networking app. I started working on this app over a year ago, in June 2019. The app finally launched on July 1st, 2020. I’ve spent a ton and learned a ton over that timeline. But I also made a ton of mistakes.
I’m confident I could get this project launched for a fraction of the cost in a fraction of the time if I was starting again from day 1, knowing what I know now. Here are a few lessons I learned.

Start lean… and stay lean
Like many tech founders, I’ve read The Lean Startup and made an effort to apply lean thinking to my work on Artyst. I spent the first few months sketching UIs, paying for app screen mockups on Fiverr, creating personas, launching a small landing page. I got feedback on these from musicians I know as well as by running Facebook + Instagram ads. This provided sufficient validation that the idea was worth pursuing. I believe this process was worthwhile, though I went a little too far worrying about details and revisions — it shouldn’t have taken more than a few weeks.
Unfortunately, staying lean was much harder. I’d defined a truly minimal version of the app to build. But after a few iterations with the developers, the final specs came out as an extremely bloated version of the MVP. I went from “create and search profiles” to “profiles, chat, news feed, featured section, and more with full iOS + Android support from day one”. A huge undertaking that dragged on several months longer than planned, resulting in several disappointing delays for my users. If I had stuck with the minimal version, I would’ve launched much earlier for less money and ultimately created a better relationship with my users.
Lesson: Start lean. But be careful also to stay lean. Watch out for scope creep. Keep your “minimum viable product” to the true minimum.

Build it yourself

Issues with paying for development
Working with developers has been the biggest cost in launching Artyst — in terms of both time, money, and stress.
I’m a career data scientist. I know how to code. But I’ve never done app development, so I went into this project with the mindset of “leave it to the pros” and decided to pay for a developer.
Initially, I went with a cheap developer from Fiverr for a few grand. He did some decent work, but after several crap deliveries and deadline overruns, I decided to move on. I’d wasted a lot of time, money, and stress.
Next, I decided to go with a “real” app development group. After getting several quotes in the $100k range, I finally settled on a “modestly priced” group for $25k. Yikes. But worth it, I thought, because these guys are gonna hit the deadlines and deliver a super professional app. That’s a ton of money, and I spent a lot of time talking to them before making the decision. How could they not?
… wrong yet again. Development went months beyond the expected launch date. Specs were ignored. I had to fight to get clear answers. A lot more time, money, and stress.
Maybe you are better at vetting developers than me. I don’t doubt you. Just be careful. Don’t assume price = quality. And don’t take anyone’s word for anything. Understand your leverage in each situation, understand the other party’s incentives, and always have a backup plan.

Benefits of building yourself
The alternative? What should I have done instead? Build it myself. If you know how to code, great — do that. But if not, you now have a ton of no-code options available. Sites like Bubble and Adalo that let you build web and mobile apps in a drag-and-drop manner.
I really regret not using tools like these from day one. I had concerns like, but then won’t my app be slow and clunky? Won’t the design be sub-optimal? Maybe a bit. But don’t assume it won’t be just because you pay for a developer. Won’t it limit what my app can do? Maybe… but increasingly, not at all. And even if my desired app function doesn’t exist with no-code, there’s likely a good enough substitute to make it worth using no-code for an MVP — you can always transition to code later after a successful V1.
Put simply, the benefits of building yourself (with or without code) are cost and control.
If you’ve got a stack of cash you’re willing to throw toward a moonshot app development, go for it. But most people don’t. I barely made it work. Coding yourself is typically free until you need hosting — and maybe still free then until you scale up. If you’re going the no-code route, most of these sites offer a free plan or at least a generous trial period. After that, you’ll pay per month, a couple hundred dollars on the higher tiers. Either way, much cheaper than paying for a full development.
And then control comes into play. If you’re relying on developers, you’re not in charge of the timeline. You can set deadlines, sure, but what are your options if they’re not met? And most importantly —the part I regret the most — what do you do after the initial build? If you want a bug fixed, a new feature added, a tiny UI tweak, do you want to have to pay thousands more and wait another month or three on your developer? Or can you tweak the app yourself same-day or, worst-case, over a long weekend?
Lesson: Built it yourself quickly and cheaply.

Get real users, provide real value, get real feedback
A consequence of all this feet-dragging on the Artyst release timeline is that I’ve had thousands of aspiring users waiting on this app for months. That’s a mistake. I should have given them something real to engage with from day one (or, at they very least, month one).

Acquiring users
Next to development costs, user acquisition has been my second largest expense. I’ve spent several thousand dollars running Facebook and Instagram ads to get page follows and email signups on the Artyst website. I can’t say I regret this — in the case of Artyst, social media ads have actually worked really well for gaining exposure. But this is by no means the only way to do it.
Most people won’t have the budget to drop this kind of money on ads, which is understandable. And even for those who do, it doesn’t always work well. This depends on where your target users hang out and how easy they are to nail down using Facebook’s ad audience parameters.
Looking back, I would’ve given more attention to non-paid social media marketing — the kind where you engage with users directly. For example, I would’ve followed Instagram and Twitter pages with high engagement among musicians (eg, XXL, Murda Beatz) and engaged with the commentors in their posts. Second, I should’ve made connections in online forums — there are several really good subreddits for different music niches that could’ve given me really valuable feedback and been a great source of early users. You can likely apply this strategy to your own niche.

Valuable relationships with users
While I built a decent audience for Artyst, my main regret is not delivering value much much sooner. I should’ve given them a small V1 to work with. I could’ve even created a forum for early users to start networking and building a community on until the first version of the app was built. It was a mistake to keep them waiting all that time.
Not only would this have shown more respect by not wasting their time, it would’ve also given me valuable feedback that I could’ve used to iterate much more quickly. If there was a UX flaw in my idea of how Artyst search should work, I could’ve learned that in the first month or two, instead of waiting a year later.
I had real users, but I didn’t give them a real product to use, so I had no feedback to use for directing the app’s roadmap.
Lesson: Deliver a real product ASAP. Get real users to give you feedback and iterate quickly.

Conclusion
In a nutshell: if I was re-starting Artyst today, I would do the following within the next month:
  • Make a small app on Adalo that supports user profile creation and search (messaging could be handled on linked socials)
  • Make a tiny landing page with an email grab
  • Engage with the music community on Twitter and Reddit (using my personal accounts) directing them to the landing page
  • (and probably still run some IG ads…)
  • Launched ASAP and begin iterating with real users
With this strategy, I’d launch in 30 days for less than $100 and be iterating live with real users from then on out.

This is a 50,000 foot overview of what I’ve learned launching Artyst over the past year. I hope it gave you some useful thoughts to consider as you dive in with your app.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

drahz

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Jul 24, 2019
Thanks for sharing and congrats. I read it all, but I miss how did it end up. Did you get paying customers, is it a profitable business?

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Nice post. I’m a big fan of engaging the maker as soon as possible.

What does this mean?
messaging could be handled on linked socials

adaaaam

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
658%
Jan 12, 2020
Thanks for sharing and congrats. I read it all, but I miss how did it end up. Did you get paying customers, is it a profitable business?
Thanks! Just launched on July 1st. Have several hundred users already, mostly due to the audience I built prior to launch.

As far as profitability... that's the long game. Will be running some ads, but don't yet know how far that will get us. Also have some premium features, like a marketplace, planned for the future that would generate income.

I'm definitely making profitability the priority for all my projects going forward. That was my biggest lesson here.

adaaaam

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
658%
Jan 12, 2020
Nice post. I’m a big fan of engaging the maker as soon as possible.

What does this mean?
Thanks!

I just meant that, to keep the first version as small as possible, I could have let artists meet on the app and continue the conversation on, eg, Twitter or Instagram.

Ultimately the app needed a "chat" function anyways, but adding that to the V1 feature list just delayed the iteration cycle.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Make a tiny landing page with an email grab
I did the same in this thread:
> EXECUTION - Growing an email list with Google Ads

I'm definitely making profitability the priority for all my projects going forward.
Yes. I like the phrases:

“Profitable from day one.”

and

“Start as close to the end as possible.”

I’m a fan of paid email newsletters as an MVP for a subscription service. As per this long and rambling progress thread:
> EXECUTION - [Progress] Paid email newsletters

adaaaam

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
658%
Jan 12, 2020
I did the same in this thread:
> EXECUTION - Growing an email list with Google Ads

Yes. I like the phrases:

“Profitable from day one.”

and

“Start as close to the end as possible.”

I’m a fan of paid email newsletters as an MVP for a subscription service. As per this long and rambling progress thread:
> EXECUTION - [Progress] Paid email newsletters
Cool, will check out the Youtube series!

Paid newsletter is an interesting idea. I see some people on Twitter doing that, but not really for me.

My strategy going forward, sticking to the "profitable from day one" philosophy, is:
1. Find a problem in a niche community that can be targeted easily online (eg, something for which a subreddit exists)
2. Get at least one pilot customer / launch partner
3. Build out a solution alongside the pilot customer then launch.

Have just launched my first one of these, so don't have a big success story to share just yet. But already it feels so much better compared to other projects I've worked on.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Have just launched my first one of these, so don't have a big success story to share just yet. But already it feels so much better compared to other projects I've worked on.
Nice. What did you do different? What makes it feel better?

adaaaam

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
658%
Jan 12, 2020
Nice. What did you do different? What makes it feel better?
After finding someone who was looking for a very specific solution, I worked directly with him to deliver something he found useful. (The use case is a reporting platform for Apple Search Ads.)

I was able to code up static versions of the dashboards for him to use with each of his clients within about a week. No worries about SaaS-ifying it yet. Just a focus on iterating into a solution for this one person. Kind of like freelancing, with the intention of generalizing the final result to work for any user.

Once we'd settled on something he was comfortable using with his clients, I spent a couple more weeks building out a basic signup + admin interface and bam, there's a SaaS ready to launch. Still in the process of finding some other customers but have a few promising leads, plus I'm starting some marketing and sales efforts now. (Will do this earlier next time.)

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
After finding someone who was looking for a very specific solution, I worked directly with him to deliver something he found useful. (The use case is a reporting platform for Apple Search Ads.)

I was able to code up static versions of the dashboards for him to use with each of his clients within about a week. No worries about SaaS-ifying it yet. Just a focus on iterating into a solution for this one person. Kind of like freelancing, with the intention of generalizing the final result to work for any user.

Once we'd settled on something he was comfortable using with his clients, I spent a couple more weeks building out a basic signup + admin interface and bam, there's a SaaS ready to launch. Still in the process of finding some other customers but have a few promising leads, plus I'm starting some marketing and sales efforts now. (Will do this earlier next time.)
Very clever. I did something similar in that I’m paid to consult to businesses, learned where lots of folks could use help, and then created a course to help the DIY folks. Getting paid to deliver value and learn from your market is the way to go!

You may like this short chat I did with a forum member:
> HOT TOPIC - (Audio) Who have you helped?

adaaaam

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
658%
Jan 12, 2020
Very clever. I did something similar in that I’m paid to consult to businesses, learned where lots of folks could use help, and then created a course to help the DIY folks. Getting paid to deliver value and learn from your market is the way to go!

You may like this short chat I did with a forum member:
> HOT TOPIC - (Audio) Who have you helped?
I agree. Never going back to the old way! :cool:

adaaaam

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
658%
Jan 12, 2020
Thank you! How about learning how to code if you don't know?
Depends on your background. If you have some notion of coding / computer science concepts already, you may be able to get by with starter templates, YouTube videos and extensive googling.

If you’re brand new, it’s probably worth taking a formal course online. Last I remember, Codecademy was pretty good. But to be honest there may be better ones by now.

FastManCostin

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Aug 17, 2018
Houston
Thank you for this post.

I have been dabbling with the creation of niche marketplace app for about one month and I have considered hiring developers for ~$5000 to create an MVP. I have realized at this point I just need market feedback should do it in a much much cheaper fashion.

Thank you for sharing your experience. It was helpful for me because I can relate to a lot of what you are saying.

adaaaam

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
658%
Jan 12, 2020
Thank you for this post.

I have been dabbling with the creation of niche marketplace app for about one month and I have considered hiring developers for ~$5000 to create an MVP. I have realized at this point I just need market feedback should do it in a much much cheaper fashion.

Thank you for sharing your experience. It was helpful for me because I can relate to a lot of what you are saying.
Awesome! Glad you found it useful.

Good luck with your app! You able to share anything about it yet?

FastManCostin

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Aug 17, 2018
Houston
Awesome! Glad you found it useful.

Good luck with your app! You able to share anything about it yet?

It is essentially a two sided marketplace that allows users to buy and sell gold and silver and save money on premiums usually found on these products. But for now I will work on a bare bones no-code option and hear some market echoes.

I am a bit of a lurker on this forum but I will have to start an execution thread for this.

adaaaam

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
658%
Jan 12, 2020
It is essentially a two sided marketplace that allows users to buy and sell gold and silver and save money on premiums usually found on these products. But for now I will work on a bare bones no-code option and hear some market echoes.

I am a bit of a lurker on this forum but I will have to start an execution thread for this.
That's awesome! I'm assuming you mean physical gold and silver?
Either way, sounds like something you could get up fairly quick with some no-code tools. One part that might be a bit tedious is setting up the payment accounts + transaction processing between users. But that shouldn't be too bad using Stripe. Or maybe there's a better option?

Hadrian

QUEST MASTER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Oct 8, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
Excellent Post my good man! Indie App Developer here from Ireland and after being burned more than once I now try to warn everyone I can that developers are in the main like car mechanics who will rip you off and do as little as possible while charging you as much as possible!

In fact if you're in the app world you'll hear that bring ripped off for thousands is basically a rite of passage.. and there's no safe way unless you either learn to a.) code yourself, or b.) Use an Escrow (Milestone) Payment Method as provided by Upwork.com.

Good thread on no-code options here:

More good info here:

Definitely would like to set up an App Dev. group here to try to help each other make apps/share code/pool resources without it costing the Moon!

Any Takers?

Last edited:

Leo Hartas

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
May 17, 2018
United Kingdom
Thank you for sharing your experiences. It's so pertinent for my project which I've started a progress thread.

Me and my partner have sort of done a halfway house to the way you approached app development. I'm an artist and she a writer and although I've piddled about with coding in the past neither of us knew anything really but for our project to work we needed an app. We didn't have the funds to buy in the whole app development so initially we brought one of our sons into the business who was studying computer science at uni. This was a mistake because he just wasn't experienced enough to grapple with server side development. Just to get something working we decided to try making the client side app in a free game making program ourselves. It was painful to learn, but Amanda figured it out and got it working. We still endlessly go over it trying to improve the UI.

I found a freelance developer to sort out the server side at a cost of £5K. He originally agreed to £2K that it would take a month. This has overrun to about 6 months, as the cost also has also overrun. However, we work well together and he has got it up and running now with just some minor tidying up to complete. I am very aware that finding him, despite the delays and cost increase, was a stroke of luck as the much of the market seems to have a rip off mentality.

I was interested to read in your post about the 'lean' approach. I too read that book a while ago. For us it was difficult, we have a fixed product, books, our customer base will be mass market, mostly mothers and grandmothers. The books, app and website all have to be fully complete and functional for that customer base. From initial concept to launch, (which will happen in a few days, fingers crossed) it has taken 2 years. I don't really know how we could have done it otherwise. The same goes for the marketing, I don't think we could build an expectant audience before we had an unestablished product for the mass market. It's all a balance, if it turns out that we got it wrong I'm still grateful for everything I've learnt along the way.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Thread updated to GOLD, great share that I missed.

notorious

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Dec 29, 2021
Great thread. If you didn't already, I suggest you to read Paul Graham's essays. Especially "Do things that don't scale", it is essentially the new process you described but also why it works, etc.

A pattern I noticed in these kinds of thread is that you have to stay far away from freelancing websites for programming work since quality work is so hard to find. Same applies to those devshops. If you do decide to work with them then you need to really make sure they're delivering on their promises. As soon as they don't hit a deadline then scrap them and find a new one.

OverByte

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
May 18, 2014
Canada
Development is a skilled business. Most people that get burned go into the mindset i want something cheap, fast and feature rich. That simply doesn't exist. Pick two out of three. For v1 you should be trimming scope.

Seems everyone with 0 development experience wants to hire the cheapest developers they can find when they have no way to vet them and wonder why they get burned. Same thing when people buy day trading get rich quick schemes that sound too good to be true and then wonder why they just lose money.

Many times a $100 per hour dev will actually give you a cheaper and more functional product than a 10-50 per hour developer. The more complex the project the more this is true. If you dont know how to review the code and manage a software project then get a tech cofounder or pay for a reputable company.

stavedeve

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Aug 27, 2017
Minneapaolis
Hi all, I'm am occassional browser, rare poster here. Earlier this year I posted about a music networking app I was building called Artyst. Well it finally launched just last week, so I thought I'd check in and share what I learned.

Hopefully this will be useful to someone thinking about launching an app. Maybe you can avoid some of the mistakes I made. Happy to go into more detail if anyone's curious!

--------

This post is the story of Artyst, my just-launched music networking app. I started working on this app over a year ago, in June 2019. The app finally launched on July 1st, 2020. I’ve spent a ton and learned a ton over that timeline. But I also made a ton of mistakes.
I’m confident I could get this project launched for a fraction of the cost in a fraction of the time if I was starting again from day 1, knowing what I know now. Here are a few lessons I learned.

Like many tech founders, I’ve read The Lean Startup and made an effort to apply lean thinking to my work on Artyst. I spent the first few months sketching UIs, paying for app screen mockups on Fiverr, creating personas, launching a small landing page. I got feedback on these from musicians I know as well as by running Facebook + Instagram ads. This provided sufficient validation that the idea was worth pursuing. I believe this process was worthwhile, though I went a little too far worrying about details and revisions — it shouldn’t have taken more than a few weeks.
Unfortunately, staying lean was much harder. I’d defined a truly minimal version of the app to build. But after a few iterations with the developers, the final specs came out as an extremely bloated version of the MVP. I went from “create and search profiles” to “profiles, chat, news feed, featured section, and more with full iOS + Android support from day one”. A huge undertaking that dragged on several months longer than planned, resulting in several disappointing delays for my users. If I had stuck with the minimal version, I would’ve launched much earlier for less money and ultimately created a better relationship with my users.
Lesson: Start lean. But be careful also to stay lean. Watch out for scope creep. Keep your “minimum viable product” to the true minimum.

Build it yourself

Working with developers has been the biggest cost in launching Artyst — in terms of both time, money, and stress.
I’m a career data scientist. I know how to code. But I’ve never done app development, so I went into this project with the mindset of “leave it to the pros” and decided to pay for a developer.
Initially, I went with a cheap developer from Fiverr for a few grand. He did some decent work, but after several crap deliveries and deadline overruns, I decided to move on. I’d wasted a lot of time, money, and stress.
Next, I decided to go with a “real” app development group. After getting several quotes in the $100k range, I finally settled on a “modestly priced” group for $25k. Yikes. But worth it, I thought, because these guys are gonna hit the deadlines and deliver a super professional app. That’s a ton of money, and I spent a lot of time talking to them before making the decision. How could they not?
… wrong yet again. Development went months beyond the expected launch date. Specs were ignored. I had to fight to get clear answers. A lot more time, money, and stress.
Maybe you are better at vetting developers than me. I don’t doubt you. Just be careful. Don’t assume price = quality. And don’t take anyone’s word for anything. Understand your leverage in each situation, understand the other party’s incentives, and always have a backup plan.

The alternative? What should I have done instead? Build it myself. If you know how to code, great — do that. But if not, you now have a ton of no-code options available. Sites like Bubble and Adalo that let you build web and mobile apps in a drag-and-drop manner.
I really regret not using tools like these from day one. I had concerns like, but then won’t my app be slow and clunky? Won’t the design be sub-optimal? Maybe a bit. But don’t assume it won’t be just because you pay for a developer. Won’t it limit what my app can do? Maybe… but increasingly, not at all. And even if my desired app function doesn’t exist with no-code, there’s likely a good enough substitute to make it worth using no-code for an MVP — you can always transition to code later after a successful V1.
Put simply, the benefits of building yourself (with or without code) are cost and control.
If you’ve got a stack of cash you’re willing to throw toward a moonshot app development, go for it. But most people don’t. I barely made it work. Coding yourself is typically free until you need hosting — and maybe still free then until you scale up. If you’re going the no-code route, most of these sites offer a free plan or at least a generous trial period. After that, you’ll pay per month, a couple hundred dollars on the higher tiers. Either way, much cheaper than paying for a full development.
And then control comes into play. If you’re relying on developers, you’re not in charge of the timeline. You can set deadlines, sure, but what are your options if they’re not met? And most importantly —the part I regret the most — what do you do after the initial build? If you want a bug fixed, a new feature added, a tiny UI tweak, do you want to have to pay thousands more and wait another month or three on your developer? Or can you tweak the app yourself same-day or, worst-case, over a long weekend?

A consequence of all this feet-dragging on the Artyst release timeline is that I’ve had thousands of aspiring users waiting on this app for months. That’s a mistake. I should have given them something real to engage with from day one (or, at they very least, month one).

Acquiring users
Next to development costs, user acquisition has been my second largest expense. I’ve spent several thousand dollars running Facebook and Instagram ads to get page follows and email signups on the Artyst website. I can’t say I regret this — in the case of Artyst, social media ads have actually worked really well for gaining exposure. But this is by no means the only way to do it.
Most people won’t have the budget to drop this kind of money on ads, which is understandable. And even for those who do, it doesn’t always work well. This depends on where your target users hang out and how easy they are to nail down using Facebook’s ad audience parameters.
Looking back, I would’ve given more attention to non-paid social media marketing — the kind where you engage with users directly. For example, I would’ve followed Instagram and Twitter pages with high engagement among musicians (eg, XXL, Murda Beatz) and engaged with the commentors in their posts. Second, I should’ve made connections in online forums — there are several really good subreddits for different music niches that could’ve given me really valuable feedback and been a great source of early users. You can likely apply this strategy to your own niche.

While I built a decent audience for Artyst, my main regret is not delivering value much much sooner. I should’ve given them a small V1 to work with. I could’ve even created a forum for early users to start networking and building a community on until the first version of the app was built. It was a mistake to keep them waiting all that time.
Not only would this have shown more respect by not wasting their time, it would’ve also given me valuable feedback that I could’ve used to iterate much more quickly. If there was a UX flaw in my idea of how Artyst search should work, I could’ve learned that in the first month or two, instead of waiting a year later.
I had real users, but I didn’t give them a real product to use, so I had no feedback to use for directing the app’s roadmap.
Lesson: Deliver a real product ASAP. Get real users to give you feedback and iterate quickly.

Conclusion
In a nutshell: if I was re-starting Artyst today, I would do the following within the next month:
  • Make a small app on Adalo that supports user profile creation and search (messaging could be handled on linked socials)
  • Engage with the music community on Twitter and Reddit (using my personal accounts) directing them to the landing page
With this strategy, I’d launch in 30 days for less than $100 and be iterating live with real users from then on out.

This is a 50,000 foot overview of what I’ve learned launching Artyst over the past year. I hope it gave you some useful thoughts to consider as you dive in with your app.
this is great. THanks for sharing.

MrGeist

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Mar 18, 2022
This post was really high-value for me. I had never heard of Bubble or Adalo.

Thank you very much for sharing!

Damien C

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
258%
Mar 19, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
As a developer, I always deeply cared about my client's outcomes and strived to hit deadlines and deliver value for money. What you said is 100% spot on, and a very common experience for anyone engaging developers.

Most of my clients after coming to me had already been burned once, twice, thrice. They were jaded, and rather suspicious and paranoid. They rode me hard, they wore me down, to the point where I withdrew from the market entirely. I got sick of continually justifying my worth and over-explaining in addition to completing the work. I thought, F*ck it. Nobody gets anything anymore. I will go and work in a different industry (Marketing) and code for myself only.

As you said, if you want something done right, and done right the first time and to spec, you should probably do it yourself or at the very least, be across what's going on. If you don't know what is going on under the hood, if you don't know the lingo, unless you get super lucky and hire somebody decent and honest (rare) you're going to get taken for a ride at some point. You are essentially placing blind trust in the technical lead.

Even armed with all the technical knowledge in the world I have still managed to hire complete disappointments / failures on assignments both local and abroad, price having very little to do with anything. "Yes sir, yes I can do that sir" "All under control sir" ... day before deadline: "Sorry sir, it is not working" Then they have the audacity to submit invoices anyway! Sadly, as the tech space is largely unregulated, you have charlatans everywhere.

I have had the most success outsourcing by breaking down large projects into small chunks of micro projects with crystal clear instructions and outcome only payments, then "glueing" it all back together myself. I will never hand over a full project to anyone again, too many fools take a brief and blow out the schedule / delivery date to "whenever" if that.

You shouldn't be looking at price when hiring developers, you should be looking for:

1. Someone with a proven, public track record of delivery.
2. Someone with exceptional communication skills.
3. Absense of, or a low ego. Working with stubborn know it alls never goes down well.

Then, if those are present, negotiate a milestone based contract with clear, measurable and specific deliverables. Ideally a fixed price with some wiggle room for it to come in slightly over.

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 11, 2018
This thread reminds me why I will never, ever develop bespoke software for anyone again. Unrealistic budget expectations (build my behemoth for a few grand), scope creep (now I was thinking I reaaaaally need this and that in the app, but I have no extra budget and you charged me sooooo much already, surely you can squeeze it), change of requirements (I just realised this idea won't work as it is, customers need these changes - basically, redo 50% of it), even doggy co-workers who don't deliver as expected. That, and the inherent complex nature of software development that makes things take longer, no matter how skilled someone is (I've seen this in all sorts of teams, from juniors to some of the best you can find out there). Working with milestones can help a lot, but most clients want to know how much they will spend at the end of the project before they spend all their money on a half-baked deliverable that needs a few more milestones. So, in practice, it's rarely a good solution.

There is a reason why one of the previous companies I worked for, with some of the best developers I've worked with, stopped doing this kind of projects altogether, even if they had the technical skills. Last time I tried myself, it almost worked out, if it wasn't for a doggy co-worker who didn't deliver shit and a manager unable to do his job and replace him. Had he been fired and replaced with another folk who knew his stuff and was very capable of delivering (he probed this by working with us for a few weeks and getting stuff actually done), the project would have been tight but still a 100% success. So I'm not going to say it's impossible to nail. But still, the chances of bespoke software development going south are too high, and even if it goes well, the low margin/profit you usually get is rarely worth the stress.

In short: yeah, do it yourself.

Damien C

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
258%
Mar 19, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
This thread reminds me why I will never, ever develop bespoke software for anyone again.

Amen! Glad it is not just me. The problem is on both sides - rip off merchants giving everyone else a bad name, and those with capability being driven out of the space entirely. I was devastated that I had to take 12-24 months out but I was just done with the corporate clients who prefixed every request with "Quick, simple, easy" - I thought if it's that simple and easy, why don't you just F*** do it yourself?

It has taken me a long time for me to be able to fire up an IDE and look at code again without feeling completely sick and stressed out. I used to absolutely love it, but unrealistic expectations sucked the joy right out of it for me. Especially the "death marches" - where some corporate moron with no technical knowledge or expertise would simply decide that the product would be shipped on or before xx/xx/xxxx and you just know it was never going to work yet you push ahead anyway. Then, they go ahead and shelve the product *after* you almost kill yourself creating it. F*ck that.

It's actually been great coming back to a more entrepreneurial forum and seeing everyone aspiring to learn how to code. After going and working on the marketing side of an agency, I truly believe wordpress and all these WYSIWYG tools to be bloated pieces of shit. They're good for brochure like websites and a couple of 'Contact Us ' forms but that's about it really - and even those seem to take billions of clicks and checkboxes to produce anything worth publishing. There's nothing better than being able to open up an editor, and force a page or program to look and do exactly as you want it to do, without navigating the maze of checkbox hell.

To truly sculpt and create large scale digital products with a great user experience that customers want to use, I think you are still going to need to use at least *some* code to achieve this. The promises of "no code" and "low code" are much like the "paperless office" promise in the year 2000.

I've decided to get back on the bandwagon and not abandon the craft entirely, I am a little rusty now but I spent the better part of 8 years learning and building myself up so it's not something I am going to completely abandon just because I've had a breakdown

I wish everyone the best of luck with their projects and learning. I really believe anybody can pick it up if you have discipline and tenacity. You are however looking at years and perhaps decades to reach a peak level of efficiency and productivity, and this is why you have to fork out so much $$$ if you want somebody else to do it.

Hanabi

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
328%
Jan 22, 2022
Florida

--------

Build it yourself

Acquiring users

Conclusion

Thank you so much for writing this, Adam! I've been reading about navigating the MVP process for apps, and you were the first one to mention the problem of having aspiring users needlessly waiting while the app is being built. I'll take everything you said to heart as I continue to go through this process. Best wishes to you.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
OP hasn't been back to the forum. Great insights for sure.

Make sure you find a strategic partner when you launch an app.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.