The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What book are you reading? Right now. Post up!

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
Mar 15, 2018
How much of it was practical advice that you actually implemented and seen results?
Every book I read gets notes (if it’s good) and almost immediately I attempt to apply what I learned.

Otherwise why are you reading business books? For entertainment? Fiction is better for that.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
I'm almost finished with listening to The Comfort Crisis: Embrace Discomfort to Reclaim Your Wild, Happy, Healthy Self by Michael Easter. I recently saw the book mentioned somewhere on the forum by @MTF.

It's an interesting read and further encourages me to do more with this one life.

Mostly the book gives me more encouragement to do things that I normally wouldn't do or step outside of my comfort zone. I've already been going through stuff that's been making me want to challenge myself more in life, this book helps reinforce what I've been trying to do this year.

You've got one life. Don't be like everybody else. Continue to grow in many aspects of your life, challenge yourself, and step outside of your comfort zone.

Madame Peccato

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Jul 14, 2018
Morbegno, Italy
Nonfiction: Ego is the enemy by Ryan Holiday — I liked the 1st part the most so far. The 2nd one was just ok. Starting the 3rd part today.
Fiction: East of Eden by John Steinbeck — This one is taking me a long, long time to go through. I'm enjoying it, although usually I read a book like this in a matter of a couple of weeks. I've been taking my sweet time for East of Eden. Still a great read.

Boogie

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Nov 27, 2014
Midwest, USA
Up From Slavery - Booker T. Washington
A great book about unimaginable hardship and incredible perseverance.

81G58CnqtXL.jpg

Thanks for that recommendation. I'll have to add it to my way-too-long list of things to read.

Along the same lines, I read one of the three autobiographies of Frederick Douglass probably 20 years ago. Unfortunately, I can't remember which one to recommend it to you, but I enjoyed it.

They are great men because of their achievements.

Everyone in that age had to master survival, especially slaves, and they were better for it. It developed grit if not character. Collectively, people today (especially in the USA) surely must be the weakest, whiniest people ever.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I’m revisiting “Take The Lead” by Dan Wardrope. I got 2/3rd of the way through last year. Working on the last 1/3rd now.

p0stscript

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Feb 7, 2018
UK
Just started this one, interesting title since at this moment in my life I do not have any people I can't stand. The book does claim it will help me identify and assemble elements of effective communication, and this my reason for reading it.
dealingwpeople.jpg

Nate_34

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Dec 27, 2021
I'm listening to Grit by Angela Duckworth. I'm excited for the lessons ahead.

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
May 1, 2011
Finished:

perfectly wounded.jpg
8198kJh3PeL.jpg

They weren't as good as the reviews indicated but it's never a waste of time to read an autobiography of a person with a completely different life than yours.

Now finishing this:

51qBuYESeQL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

After that, I'm done for the foreseeable future with military-related books as it gets mentally taxing after a while.

nothingness

I make great coffee
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Mar 3, 2021
UK
51YMp4lK5WL._SX320_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Very worthwhile if you are into metaphysics, I skipped the first few "lessons" as I was looking for the creative visualization part. He also expands on Ophiels "Sphere of Availability" which is the part all of the law of attraction authors conveniently cut out from their work; if you are broke and living in your moms basement now then don't go trying to manifest a million dollar net worth; instead create an income stream.

David Fitz

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jan 30, 2020
Ireland
I'm reading Caeser. It's a long a$$ book but I'm getting through it.

I'm also reading Fall which is about Robert Maxwell, the father of Ghislaine Maxwell who was with Jeffrey Epstein

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
I'm almost finished with listening to The Comfort Crisis: Embrace Discomfort to Reclaim Your Wild, Happy, Healthy Self by Michael Easter. I recently saw the book mentioned somewhere on the forum by @MTF.

It's an interesting read and further encourages me to do more with this one life.

Mostly the book gives me more encouragement to do things that I normally wouldn't do or step outside of my comfort zone. I've already been going through stuff that's been making me want to challenge myself more in life, this book helps reinforce what I've been trying to do this year.

You've got one life. Don't be like everybody else. Continue to grow in many aspects of your life, challenge yourself, and step outside of your comfort zone.
I just finished listening to this book. I enjoyed it! It has definitely motivated me to think about how I'm spending my time and where I'm focusing my efforts.

Additionally, it's really reinforced my goal of trying new things this year. I've been wanting to challenge myself and step outside of my comfort zone. Having listened to the stories, experiences, and studies from this book definitely further encourage me to complete my goal.

If someone were to ask me if this book is worth reading, I wouldn't mind recommending it as I enjoyed listening to it. Although naturally, I did zone out at times. I think the ideas promoted in this book are great and if applied, can improve your life!

I'm going to continue to try and grow and become a better version of myself this year! I want to take more control of my life and live it more. The chances of me ever being born are so low... I can't just sit in an office and have the same day-to-day experience for the rest of my life.

Some interesting things that I remembered:
  • The people in Bhutan people think about death 5 times a day. This helped people be okay with death and accept that we aren't on this Earth forever. They know death is coming and they know that every second passing is coming closer to their death. They know that they may die at any moment. As such, they focus on the now, what makes them happy, and they're more grateful. I encourage looking more into this, it's very interesting and I'm trying to implement thinking about my death and what it means to me, more in my life as well.
  • I can't go into much detail since I don't exactly remember why, but, processed foods are not as bad as you think. If we didn't process food, food would go bad much quicker and there's a potential for more disease through micro-organisms. The problem is when there's over-processing, removing nutritional value, adding junk/filler ingredients, and people keep consuming but don't get hungry. People continue to eat high-calorie snacks/foods, don't get hungry, and keep eating more of these high-calorie snacks/foods trying to get full. You gain weight and fat when you're input # of calories is higher than calories burned.
  • Boredom is useful. It's used as a motivator. Use the energy when you're bored to do something productive.

Last edited:

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
I will now start: "Make It Stick The Science of Successful Learning" By Peter C. Brown.

Dan_Cardone

Losers make excuses. Winners find solutions.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
360%
Jul 23, 2019
Just finished “Biohack your brain” by Kristen Willuemier.

Not sure how much I agree with some of the nutrition advice in there. Will need to do more research.

Currently reading:

”Principals for dealing with the changing world order” Ray Dailo.

I recommend everyone at least watch his YouTube summary video of this book.

The second book I’m reading is:

”Winning a gunfight” by Tim Rupp

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
Mar 15, 2018
I will now start: "Make It Stick The Science of Successful Learning" By Peter C. Brown.

This is a very good book. Excellent advice for learning.

For example:
"Students find it confusing: they’re just starting to get a handle on new material and don’t feel on top of it yet when they are forced to switch. But the research shows unequivocally that mastery and long-term retention are much better if you interleave practice than if you mass it."

I am sure you'll enjoy it.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
285%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
I’m reading the almanac of Naval Ravikant.

So far the business section has a big focus on software and writing content to make money, very millionaire fastlane style. He talks about code working for you to make money while you sleep.

As for the happiness section the one takeaway I can think off the top of my head is.

Desire is a contract you make with yourself to be unhappy until you get what you want.

Edit: I have to add this quote from the book.

The more you judge, the more you seperate yourself. You’ll feel good for an instant, because you feel good about you’re being better than someone. Later, you’re going to feel lonely. Then, you see negativity everywhere. The world just reflects your own feelings back at you.

Last edited:

David Fitz

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jan 30, 2020
Ireland
I've been reading The 7 Habits of Higly Effective People.

I've heard of this book a lot and thought it was going to be one of those business guru books but so far it has been a good read.

He actually talks about going through the process and not looking for easy answers.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
May 1, 2011
To explore the minds of fighters and understand their world better, I read these four books in the last week:

breathe.jpg

An interesting life story of one of the greatest BJJ fighters in the world who is wired so differently than me I was at times almost offended by what he did lol. Some valuable lessons how to deal with adversity and pursue excellence (the guy was completely obsessed with jiu-jitsu). Out of all the four books, this was by far the best one.

61joJzm4MbL.jpg

Another jiu-jitsu fighter. A quite dark and depressing book at times with some f*cked up stories. Made me realize how terrible growing up is for some kids.

51PbPJ49MRL.jpg

It was interesting to see the world of fighting from the perspective of a guy who realized he was a better coach than a fighter. He himself dealt with a lot of difficulties trying to get MMA off the ground in Ireland. Also contains some interesting stories about Conor McGregor.

91vog2RCbDL.jpg

I wanted to learn more about this heavyweight boxer after seeing a video in which he opened up about his mental health issues. In the book he also covers his fight against depression and how it was scarier than his toughest boxing opponents.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.