The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What book are you reading? Right now. Post up!

jjjhhhbbb

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Sep 20, 2020
United Kingdom
Thinking of reading the 10x rule by Grant Cardone, hearing some great things about it so far.
It's okay. It does a great job of getting you pumped up... But leads you down the road of "must read Grand Cardone Books". I went down that path.

Read 10X & Sell or be sold, then call it a day for Uncle G.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Chapas

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Nov 23, 2014
Shame on me. Stealing all your good recommendations without giving something back!

Right now I am reading Dictatorland: The Men Who Stole Africa. Picked it up randomly in my home-country as there was not many English books to choose from, and it definitely has surpassed all my expectations.

Didn't know much about the history of Africa before, and this got me really interested in the subject. It is divided into different chapters about 6-7 different countries. The stories about Congo and Libya was insane to read. Now reading about Nigeria, oil, tribes and coupes. What an interesting and painful history this great continent has lived. It really shows how 'we' f***** up Africa with our hunt for minerals, diamonds and oil, and how some of the most powerful and barbarous dictators started with good intentions, and then become more and more greedy and un-human as their wealth and power grew.

One of the most interesting books I have read over the year. Can highly recommend!

Jdes91

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Oct 5, 2020
Hey guys! Can anyone on the forum recommend books or sources of information for creating start-ups? Or specifically sources for information on how to start one in the middle of a pandemic? I've thought of checking out the lean startup as a possible place to start...

jjjhhhbbb

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Sep 20, 2020
United Kingdom
Hey guys! Can anyone on the forum recommend books or sources of information for creating start-ups? Or specifically sources for information on how to start one in the middle of a pandemic? I've thought of checking out the lean startup as a possible place to start...
In the middle of a pandemic...nothing springs to mind.

$100 start up is good, built to sell & I've heard start with why is good (it's on my list of next reads)

In terms of specifically for a pandemic, I'm sure there will be plenty of books coming to the marketplace for this.

Overlander

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
May 14, 2016
Elon Musk: Tesla, SpaceX, and the Quest for a Fantastic Future by Ashlee Vance

Incredible book, I find it hard to put it down and get back to work. Wish I'd picked this up years ago when it came out.

Last edited:

Max Shapira

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
613%
Jan 15, 2019

Not a book but a short article by the "startup legend" — Paul Graham.
Why to Start a Startup in a Bad Economy

And here is a great book by Rob Fitzpatrick, which is not specifically for a pandemic. However, will help you regardless of the current economic conditions:
The Mom Test: How to talk to customers & learn if your business is a good idea when everyone is lying to you: Fitzpatrick, Rob: 9781492180746: Amazon.com: Books

Good luck, buddy!

LifeisSuffering

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Aug 14, 2020
GOLDEN THREAD
I finished reading The way of art by Steven Pressfield; way of the wolf by Jordan Belfort; Descipline equals Freedom by Jocko Willink
Currently reading TMF by MJ DeMarco for the second time ( one time is not enough)
The 33 strartegy of war by Robert Green
Crucial Conversations ( i'm still in the half of it by this book is amazing and has so much valuable informations that help you improve your dialogue)

sfarieri

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Oct 11, 2020
Long Island, NY
Plug Your Book, Steve Weber
Writing Non-Fiction, Dan Poynter
Self-Publishing Manual, Dan Poynter
Four Hour Work Week, Tim Ferriss (Attempting to decipher if its slowlane, or fastlane.)
MJ, did you find out if the 4-hour work week is Slowlane or Fastlane?

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
Reread TMFL. Now listening to Elon Musk’s Biography and Why We Sleep.

changmd

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 23, 2020
Paraguay
The last book read are M.J. books, then I just stopped reading, I have been reading so many books, as I know that I am just action faking, well, still haven't taken any action yet, but I would rather let this emptiness take over me than faking taking action reading books.

Bones81

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jul 29, 2019
Unknown Market Wizards: The best traders you've never heard of

This is the latest in Jack Swager's Market Wizards series. These are great books for anyone who is interested in trading. It presents people who trade in completely different ways, yet have many things in common (primarily risk controls and discipline).

Martin.G

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jan 31, 2019
Argentina
I am reading Tiger Woods by Jeff Benedict. I don't like golf, or at least I don't enjoy it, but the same I can say about basketball but I love the book about Michael Jordan. Biography is the best to get closer to people who obtain something very impressive.

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
Currently reading:
  • Elon Musk by Ashlee Vance
  • Why We Sleep by Matthew Walker
I have a few books lined up to get through after my current reads (in no specific order):
  • Awaken the Giant Within by Anthony Robbins
  • The Ride of a Lifetime by Robert Iger
  • The Wealth of Nations by Adam Smith
  • The Pragmatic Programmer by David Thomas
  • Influence by Robert B. Cialdini
  • Leonardo da Vinci by Walter Isaacson
  • Re-read of Unscripted by MJ DeMarco
  • You're Not Listening by Kate Murphy

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
1. Dan Kennedy's No B.S. Ruthless Management of People and Profits
Basically he bashes Google's and academia's thinking that you have to molly-coddle employees for diversity, Generation X/Y/Z differences, work-life balance...and instead discusses approaches on returning employee management to the core purpose: to ultimately improve business profit

2.Vince James' The 12-Month Millionaire
A very old direct response copywriter, who went to prison for fraud.
But for much of his career, he did OK in direct response.
I first heard about him from Ben Settle's emails, where Ben outlined how Vince had to learn the costly lesson of not backing up his mailing list.

Read the first few chapters, and curiously, unlike most copywriting books, he jumps right into the math of calculating product and shipping costs, plus backend strategy, to see if the market opportunity was sound.

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
I finished listening, "Elon Musk" by Ashlee Vance and "Awaken the Giant Within: How to Take Immediate Control of Your Mental, Emotional, Physical and Financial Destiny!" by Tony Robbins.

Now, I'm listening to Influence by Robert Cialdini and the Pragmatic Programmer by David Thomas. I'm halfway through the first chapter of Influence and it's interesting learning about "fixed action patterns" and certain "trigger features" that we have. The book gives an example of a turkey, how if it hears chirps from its newborn it send a trigger that will make the turkey believe that it is their baby but if the newborn does not chirp then the turkey will not believe so and sometimes even kill the newborn. I can't wait to hear about what certain triggers humans have.

MHP368

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Aug 17, 2016
Sahuarita AZ
Just finished "How to Get Rich: One of the World's Greatest Entrepreneurs Shares His Secrets" by Felix Dennis

My god that man could write. Seriously that dude was a storyteller.

It has some gems worth their weight in gold but honestly nothing groundbreaking...other then maybe his rather insistent push on the whole mindset angle / what it will cost you, its been mentioned before, I have a Jim Rohn quote on the tip of my tongue in this regard but can't quite paraphrase it.

I think Felix talks about the difference being "an insatiable devil in your mind telling you you must be rich" , at the end of the book he even doubles down on recommending most people not even try because of what it will cost them and the fact that most will fail.

Great read though. I've read so much nonfiction that a lot of it melds together, which is should as authors tend to add a lot of filler so the sale price can be 25 bucks for a paperback instead of 15 or 20. Felix Dennis had a way with words (apparently took up poetry in his later years so, makes sense)

I'd recommend it just to break up the monotony of your reading list. Also because of his own take on the philosophy / lifestyle angle it definitely gives you something to mentally chew on other than another perspective on productivity or marketing or something.

LifeisSuffering

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Aug 14, 2020
Currently I'm reading Remote, show you how to start your company with no office needed and how manage and build your culture using internet and Saas tools
I also read the past week: Atomic Habits and Ego is the enemy (it's a must this book)

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
Can you tell me your review about this Book
I give this book a 3.5/5 and the reason being is that you can find this information in all self-help books. If you’ve read a few books in self-help, you’d already know this stuff.

The key takeaway is your beliefs are important for your decisions. Change your beliefs ->change your decisions. (Sounds like TMFL)

Change what you perceive as pleasurable and what is painful. For example, make smoking perceived as painful and reward yourself when hitting small goals, don’t wait until the end to reward yourself. By setting small goals you’ll be able to get a feedback loop going more quickly.

Set goals with a plan and take massive actions to fulfill those goals.

But the main thing is just decisions and beliefs. Compound your daily decisions towards your goals.

BlackSuperman

What Legacy Will You Leave Behind?
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
341%
Sep 6, 2020
United States
It was recommended on the forum so I decided to give Super Thinking a read. So far I am loving it and it is immediately applicable. As of now, I am trying to make less wrong decisions and more right ones by applying the mental models from the books every day.

I would highly recommend any person who wants to elevate their critical thinking as well as their ability to be present. It has boosted both these aspects of my life.

Raja

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Dec 31, 2019
Do you guys complete reading a book in a day?

Raja

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Dec 31, 2019
I will be reading your best year ever.

BlackSuperman

What Legacy Will You Leave Behind?
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
341%
Sep 6, 2020
United States
@Raja It is usually recommended on this forum that when you read, it should also relate to action taken.
I can't speak for everyone else but I personally complete maybe 1-2 books a month, depending on the length and purpose.

So right now I am reading Super Thinking and after 2 weeks I am still only on Chapter 3. So it really comes down to the purpose of your reading (analyze and apply or leisure entertainment) and then walk one of two paths from there (slow but actionable or fast and interesting).

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
F9AABF73-D836-40E9-9567-00403BAA992B.jpeg

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Just finishing The Book on Flipping Houses by @JScott !!

Fantastic book, extremely thorough, feel like I've learned more about real estate from this book than the last 5 years of on-off experience in real life.

What really surprised me was how much I learned about what agents and brokers do, how listings work, how banks and foreclosures and title companies work... There's a whole tiny "universe" of business explained in this book in great detail.

I've looked for books like this for a long time: thorough, detailed, non-generic advice. Specific industry knowledge.
Very rare in any book!

I love the deep dive into an industry that isn't the primary one I've worked in - if anybody knows other books like this for other businesses, I'd love to hear. I've tried textbooks, but even those don't go as deep or as practical.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.