The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What book are you reading? Right now. Post up!

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
A video series by Wang Cen, ex-partner of Sequoia Capital, on formulas and pitfalls in developing consumer business in China. It is supposed to be sold for 199Rmb but someone put it up online for free.

He is the most legit "course selling guru" that I have ever seen, with students worth 8-9 figures learning from him.

While the video is not in English. I think it is worth the extreme hassle to broadcast the sound using your phone, and having your computer as another device running live audio google translate.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Gnx7gQxBu8&list=PLr3HThlGCVDpgBRguPZVL9E-o9Lx0yExR&index=3

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Gnx7gQxBu8&list=PLr3HThlGCVDpgBRguPZVL9E-o9Lx0yExR&index=3

David Fitz

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jan 30, 2020
Ireland
I'm reading Put Your a$$ Where Your Heart Wants To Be by Steven Pressfield

It's a book that is basically about doing the work that needs to be done to get to where you want to be.

Very good book and and a short enough read too.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Anyone who has experience with bodybuilding knows David Goggin is just the more extreme triathlon version of Ronnie Coleman, and will end up the same

I've been saying this for years. The cult of Goggins and the mental illness required to part of his club won't end well for many, including its leader, despite the chest thumping.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
I've been saying this for years. The cult of Goggins and the mental illness required to part of his club won't end well for many, including its leader, despite the chest thumping.

What a shitty thing to say Mj.
  • Cult.
  • Mental illness.
  • Chest thumping.

And you’ve been saying this for years? Are you waiting to be proven “right” after all these years.

Why the hate? Geezz…

Goggins inspired thousands of people to move. He’s a force for good, yet he’s triggering you.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
What a shitty thing to say Mj.

Sorry I offended your idol.

Are you waiting to be proven “right” after all these years.

I don't need to wait, he's clearly proven my point based on the amount of times he visits the hospital due to self-inflicted injuries.

yet he’s triggering you.

Your response actually sounds like you're the one triggered.

Insofar as my "triggering" -- yes -- I get triggered about anything and ANYONE that endangers the health of my family.

From being forced to take an experimental vax, to self-proclaimed "health gurus" who say you're a weakling if you can't fight through intense pain. My "triggering" was recently sparked when I learned my step-son's radical new workout regime (which was killing his back and laying him out for days, including one emergency room visit) was inspired by Goggins YT vidoes.

Let's just say, I never corrected my son so quickly and he wisely stopped the insanity, and he's better for it.

His "advice" is likely hurting more people, particularily young men, rather than helping.

Going to the hospital X # of times because of your "mental toughness" is not mental toughness... it's something else...

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore

I don't need to wait, he's clearly proven my point based on the amount of times he visits the hospital due to self-inflicted injuries.

Insofar as my "triggering" -- yes -- I get triggered about anything and ANYONE that endangers the health of my family.

From being forced to take an experimental vax, to self-proclaimed "health gurus" who say you're a weakling if you can't fight through intense pain. My "triggering" was recently sparked when I learned my step-son's radical new workout regime (which was killing his back and laying him out for days, including one emergency room visit) was inspired by Goggins YT vidoes.

Let's just say, I never corrected my son so quickly and he wisely stopped the insanity, and he's better for it.

His "advice" is likely hurting more people, particularily young men, rather than helping.

Going to the hospital X # of times because of your "mental toughness" is not mental toughness... it's something else...
I think people need to take certain thoughts and ideas figuratively rather than literally when listening to Goggins.

Goggins is also at fault in explicitly promoting dangerous behavior in exercise. What is possible is different from what is recommended.

Guyfieri5

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Jul 13, 2019
Raleigh, North Carolina
Currently reading:

12 Months to 1 Million by Ryan Daniel Moran
OIP.3VB8sUAe4hG3T_K7Wh7HvQHaLH

I have gathered a ton of actionable steps for my own business. I would highly recommend it.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018

Lucky for me I have no idols.

And that makes him a "cult" and "mental illness" to use your words? Hardly. Lard asses at 400lbs screaming at the latest sporting event on big screen while working their way to a heart attack end up in hospitals too, but somehow they are not a "cult" or "mental illness" in our society.

Disappointed is more appropriate word. Because I see you and Goggins as not that different, are you a "guru" and this forum a "cult"? 90%+ of all people who sign up here won't become as wealthy as you. 90%+ of all who read Goggins' books won't become like him either. Maybe that 99% for both...

You both cover different topics based on your life accomplishments. You and I disagree on a lot of things, doesn't mean I ignore you on how to build businesses. Same with Goggins, no one says to do exactly what he does. But he's pointing to the figurative "lambo" that when your little pinky is hurting doesn't excuse from not running. He's teaching taking responsibility. And I like that.

Your job as a parent is to teach your kids. It's not Goggin's job. And maybe following world class, best of the best, toughest of the tough SOBs on the planet isn't the right approach. Instead of branding him as "cult" "mental illness" maybe your son can take valuable parts but throw out the parts that he's not ready to tackle? Remember, Goggins is a Navy Seal, a Ranger, Ultramarathonner (world class), Guiness World Record holder for pull ups and so on. He's by definition dangerous to follow!

You and I will never know which is more true. Is he helping more or hurting more? Unlike you, I don't have a family member suffer emergency room visits by following Goggins. I don't personally follow his workouts either (no chance!) but his mindset got me through moments where I felt like quitting but didn't - and I am better for it. It qualified me for world championship races (which I did not take on, but nice to know I could). So in my eyes, he's a force for good. Plenty of my friends became fitter because of him too.

It is a matter of being intelligent about your own life. Follow Goggins for mindset because life will throw curveballs at you. Follow you, MJ, for business framework like CENTS because it works. But never overstep your own reality. Take what works, throw out what doesn't.

Blindly following anyone, even in face of the evidence that what you are doing is a bad idea (like ER visits) is stupid. Glad you talked to your son to fix this and hope parents of other kids in similar situations do the same.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
541%
Apr 17, 2022
Mental illness.

The western world is currently experiencing the highest levels of comfort and convenience in the recorded history of mankind. This excessive level of comfort has paradoxically caused us a lot of suffering, because we as a species evolved in very harsh conditions and our mind is hardwired to seek and overcome challenges.

One of the reasons why David Goggins and other "mental toughness" guys have become popular is because they are like a breath of fresh air in this ocean of intoxicating comfort, laziness and apathy.

His message is positive. The world certainly needs a bit more resilience and courage. But I do not agree with his methodology and the fact that he takes things to such extreme lengths.

And unfortunately, (and I feel sorry for him) he shows clear signs of horrible trauma and severe mental illness. It is however a good thing that he found peace in doing extreme forms of physical exercise and trying to promote a positive message to the world, instead of engaging in a worse addiction (e.g. substance abuse).

But other than that, there is nothing good about self harm.
There is nothing good about self mutilation.

View: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/kHKq7azhjZo

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
ca$vertisement
Lol.

One word end to the awkward Goggins diatribes. Love it. :rofl:

For the record, I get entertainment value out of Goggins and generally like him. I’m also not too stupid to handle enjoying his intensity and even getting a bit pumped up from it.

Last edited:

msufan

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Mar 13, 2013
The western world is currently experiencing the highest levels of comfort and convenience in the recorded history of mankind. This excessive level of comfort has paradoxically caused us a lot of suffering, because we as a species evolved in very harsh conditions and our mind is hardwired to seek and overcome challenges.

One of the reasons why David Goggins and other "mental toughness" guys have become popular is because they are like a breath of fresh air in this ocean of intoxicating comfort, laziness and apathy.

His message is positive. The world certainly needs a bit more resilience and courage. But I do not agree with his methodology and the fact that he takes things to such extreme lengths.

And unfortunately, (and I feel sorry for him) he shows clear signs of horrible trauma and severe mental illness. It is however a good thing that he found peace in doing extreme forms of physical exercise and trying to promote a positive message to the world, instead of engaging in a worse addiction (e.g. substance abuse).

But other than that, there is nothing good about self harm.
There is nothing good about self mutilation.

View: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/kHKq7azhjZo
I read Goggins' latest book and this is an incredible summary of how I felt as well. He shows extremely obvious signs of trauma and his extreme harsh treatment of his body appears to be his way of attempting to regain a feeling of control and power. It's brutal to read his work, and I'm glad people on here recognize that he is no role model -- except perhaps for the similarly traumatized.

KiwiEC

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Jan 5, 2023
France
Currently hooked in The Art and Business of Online Writing from Nicolas Cole.

I have always paid attention to my online writings on LinkedIn or Twitter. This book is a great tool to improve that and it will help designing my upcoming website.
It's already listed into the Fastlane bookstore so I guess some of you guys did enjoy it too.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Last edited:

starttoday123

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Jan 7, 2022
USA
Maybe Buddha (historical figure not religious) wouldn’t agree with Goggins doing all of the extreme near death exercise because Buddha found the answer to “enlightenment”happiness was a balance of ascetic practices and indulgences plus he had many other teachings. But he said it was wrong for doing near death things to reach enlightenment which many groups were doing at the time. The first thing he did after his enlightenment was stopped starving himself near to death and accepted food offerings of milk when before he only accepted one grain of rice a day (supposedly), but he still was very disciplined but just not to the near death level, in more of a balance

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Currently hooked in The Art and Business of Online Writing from Nicolas Cole.

I have always paid attention to my online writings on LinkedIn or Twitter. This book is a great tool to improve that and it will help designing my upcoming website.
It's already listed into the Fastlane bookstore so I guess some of you guys did enjoy it too.
I liked it till it got into the nuts and bolts of how to create various types of posts. I liked his breakdown of how platforms get users and views first, then start to throttle reach and become pay-to-play. I can't remember if he said it in the book or some podcast he was on, but I also got an aha moment when he explained that the list isn't the asset ... the content/system that gets people onto the list is.

Djo

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Oct 31, 2022
I'm currently reading

Hard Times Create Strong Men: Why the World Craves Leadership and How You Can Step Up to Fill the Need​

from De Marco little known extremely valuable books collection.

This book speaks uncomfortable truths about masculinity, entrepeneurship, politics and women.

Stuff you would never hear from tv and main stream media.

It'll probably go against some beliefs you have.
Is it one of those toxic redpill books that advocates forgetting the existence of women ?

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I'm just about to finish "Sapiens - A brief history of Humankind" by Yuval Noah Harari.

Honestly one of the more fascinating books I've read in a while. I think it may be an uncomfortable read for some though, as it really picks apart a few "hard beliefs" people may have from a very dispassionate historical / evolutionary perspective - religion, capitalism, animal extinctions, societal norms, laws, cultural norms, the idea of right and wrong, nationalism, etc, etc...

I'm not a historian so I can't verify any given point in the book but at face value it's a thoroughly enjoyable read that had me thinking about things in ways I hadn't ever considered before.

DustinG

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Mar 28, 2011
I'm almost finished with Hangry, by the founder of GrubHub. Maybe not the best book title, but the book is amazing. Seriously one of the best startup stories/autobiographies I've ever read. He is an outstanding writer and storyteller.

hangry.jpg

Eurojanek

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Oct 9, 2020
"How Russia tricked the west in 1945"

Attachments

• powojnie.jpg
    powojnie.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 3

Tiago

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Mar 22, 2014
Dream Big by Jorge Paulo Lemann

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I am about to start “Built From Scratch” the Home Depot Story.

31734ED0-0F5A-4FC0-ACB5-7A25A4D8193F.jpeg

Pabblo

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
May 8, 2022
51JRbDKkaWL._AC_SY1000_.jpg

I found this book few days ago and I added this to list.
I am excited what i will learn Between the lines about psychology, marketing from guru. No one likes scams, but guru must be very good at human desires recognizing and manage that.
What do you think ?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.