The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

9 Dream-Killing Lies You Sell Yourself...

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
It's been a long, long time. But it seems like yesterday.

In 2007, I launched The Fastlane Forum. During this time, I've encountered 1000s of entrepreneurs and aspiring entrepreneurs. I soon discovered a complex reality that most people are liars—not to others, but to themselves. Here are the 9 common lies that want to convince you to sell your dreams for slaughter. And 9 easy paradigm shifts to insure your dreams stay alive and tracked for reality.

LIE #1: I'm not good at X.

Of course, you're not. No one is born an instant expert. We all crawled before we walked. Seinfeld's first words weren't a joke. Ronaldo didn't emerge from mom with a football. The question is, if you aren't good at X, what do you need to do to get good at X?

The fact is, "I'm not good at X" is not a fixed status but a variable one. You can suck at X today, but be better at it tomorrow. BETTER is the key; minor daily improvements create major results.

The sibling to this lie is, "Well, I just lack the education."

PARADIGM SHIFT: I'm not good at X today, but I can be better at X tomorrow.

LIE #2: I don't have time for business.

You don't have time because it isn't a priority. It isn't urgent. Other things come first. Game of Thrones. Call of Duty. Sleep and leisure. The 55th Yankees game you just watched. Would you "find time" if failure in the next three months meant the death of the loved one? You would. What's most important always finds time.

PARADIGM SHIFT: I don't have time with my current lifestyle patterns, but with the proper adjustments and reprioritizations, I can find time.

LIE #3: X just got lucky.

Yes, X did. Out of all the numbers in the alphabet, X was incredibly active, engaged, and committed to success. As such, X manipulated probability and gave themself a better chance of getting in luck's spotlight.

PARADIGM SHIFT: Luck is a function of probability, and my habitual actions can improve my chances for luck to appear.

LIE #4: Someday I'll start a business.

No, you won't. You're too comfortable, and comfort doesn't incite action. Most people allow their dreams to be bribed with a few hours of television, video games, or sleep. There will never be a perfect day, week, or month. Life is too aggressively chaotic with its own momentum. It is why Someday exists. Someday is a pacification to make yourself feel good for not quitting, but delaying. And we all know someday becomes never. Someday is a fat lie.

PARADIGM SHIFT: My best time to start a business is today. Someday is a pacifying excuse to disguise the truth of never.

LIE #5: There are no good ideas.

Never has there been one sentence that stinks of entrepreneurial ignorance. Most new businesses are built on marginal improvement and better efficiencies, not about becoming the next Steve Jobs. If life had no problems, there would be no ideas. Ideas are about solving problems, removing angsts, fixing inconveniences, delivering peace, sparking fun, and offering different ingredients.

PARADIGM SHIFT: If I see ideas as a function of life's imperfections, voids, and distress, I will have plenty of ideas.

LIE #6: I'm too old, stupid, or X.

If you have something I want or desperately need, I will not care about your personal histrionics or demographics. How much is it, and when can I get it? The injured man in the street comes to mind... if I'm bleeding in an alley and a man offers me a tourniquet, I'm not going to care how old the man is, how he's a bad father, or about his bankruptcy 24 years ago.

PARADIGM SHIFT: Relative value will be colorblind to my deficiencies and past transgressions. If I can provide value to culture, culture will overlook my self-constructed inadequacies.

LIE #7: I don't have enough money.

While this might be true, you also don't have enough discipline or focus. It's stunningly amazing how the people who claim to have no money also have no job, no education, no specialized skills, and no motivation to change the status quo. But you can bet they have the latest iPhone, a device that has instant access to unlimited knowledge.

I don't have money
really means no one will give me money, and I'm too lazy to earn my own through hard work, ingenuity, and persistence. To get money to start my business, I taught myself a specialized skill (web design) that 10X'd my earning wages. Money followed.

PARADIGM SHIFT: I can increase my income and build capital by investing in education and teaching myself a specialized skill that will multiply my wages by several magnitudes.

LIE #8: I don’t have the right connections.

While having a solid network of connections can be helpful, it is not essential for success. Connections is always a function of activity. It is a function of productivity and results. Do you think someone with 1 million subscribers to their YouTube channel is struggling with "the right connections?" Be active and connections will follow, plus money.

PARADIGM SHIFT: I can expand my network by consistently acting and moving on my goals.

LIE #9: Entrepreneurship is risk.

Starting a business is inherently risky, but avoiding the risk is riskier. As I like to say, the pain of regret is far greater than the pain of failure.

PARADIGM SHIFT: All of life is a risk, some risks have lifelong returns, others have lifelong regrets.

Stop lying and get busy doing.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Subsonic

How you do anything is how you do everything
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
281%
Aug 16, 2022
Germany

In 2007, I launched The Fastlane Forum. During this time, I've encountered 1000s of entrepreneurs and aspiring entrepreneurs. I soon discovered a complex reality that most people are liars—not to others, but to themselves. Here are the 9 common lies that want to convince you to sell your dreams for slaughter. And 9 easy paradigm shifts to insure your dreams stay alive and tracked for reality.

Of course, you're not. No one is born an instant expert. We all crawled before we walked. Seinfeld's first words weren't a joke. Ronaldo didn't emerge from mom with a football. The question is, if you aren't good at X, what do you need to do to get good at X?

The fact is, "I'm not good at X" is not a fixed status but a variable one. You can suck at X today, but be better at it tomorrow. BETTER is the key; minor daily improvements create major results.

You don't have time because it isn't a priority. It isn't urgent. Other things come first. Game of Thrones. Call of Duty. Sleep and leisure. The 55th Yankees game you just watched. Would you "find time" if failure in the next three months meant the death of the loved one? You would. What's most important always finds time.

PARADIGM SHIFT: I don't have time with my current lifestyle patterns, but with the proper adjustments and reprioritizations, I can find time.

Yes, X did. Out of all the numbers in the alphabet, X was incredibly active, engaged, and committed to success. As such, X manipulated probability and gave themself a better chance of getting in luck's spotlight.

PARADIGM SHIFT: Luck is a function of probability, and my habitual actions can improve my chances for luck to appear.

No, you won't. You're too comfortable, and comfort doesn't incite action. Most people allow their dreams to be bribed with a few hours of television, video games, or sleep. There will never be a perfect day, week, or month. Life is too aggressively chaotic with its own momentum. It is why Someday exists. Someday is a pacification to make yourself feel good for not quitting, but deferring. And we all know someday becomes never. Someday is a fat lie.

PARADIGM SHIFT: My best time to start a business is today. Someday is a pacifying excuse to disguise the truth of never.

Never has there been one sentence that stinks of entrepreneurial ignorance. Most new businesses are built on margin improvement and better efficiencies, not about becoming the next Steve Jobs. If life had no problems, there would be no ideas. Ideas are about solving problems, removing angsts, fixing inconveniences, delivering peace, sparking fun, and offering different ingredients.

PARADIGM SHIFT: If I see ideas as a function of life's imperfections, voids, and distress, I will have plenty of ideas.

If you have something I want or desperately need, I will not care about your personal histrionics or demographics. How much is it, and when can I get it? The old injured man in the street comes to mind... if I'm bleeding in an alley and a man offers me a tourniquet, I'm not going to care how old the man is, how he's a bad father, or about his bankruptcy 24 years ago.

PARADIGM SHIFT: Relative value will be colorblind to my deficiencies and past transgressions. If I can provide value to culture, culture will overlook my self-constructed inadequacies.

While this might be true, you also don't have enough discipline or focus. It's stunningly amazing how the people who claim to have no money also don't have no job, no education, no specialized skills, and no motivation to change the status quo. But you can bet they have the latest iPhone, a device that has instant access to unlimited knowledge.

I don't have money
really means no one will give me money, and I'm too lazy to earn my own through hard work, ingenuity, and persistence. To get money to start my business, I taught myself a specialized skill (web design) that 10X'd my earning wages. Money followed.

PARADIGM SHIFT: I can increase my income and build capital by investing in education and teaching myself a specialized skill that will multiply my wages by several magnitudes.

While having a solid network of connections can be helpful, it is not essential for success. Connections is always a function of activity. It is a function of productivity and results. Do you think someone with 1 million subscribers to their YouTube channel is struggling with "the right connections?" Be active and connections will follow, plus money.

PARADIGM SHIFT: I can expand my network by consistently acting and moving on my goals.

Starting a business is inherently risky, but avoiding the risk is riskier. As I like to say, the pain of regret is far greater than the pain of failure.

PARADIGM SHIFT: All of life is a risk, some risks have lifelong returns, others have lifelong regrets.

Great Post, and something i wish everyone would understand.

On the other hand most people dont want these things to be true as that would mean taking responsibility.
Freedom may be the motto of america and most people there vote for it yet they throw it away when they could have it- Freedom is responsibility.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
We are stuck in a circular reasoning of perception and thought.

A scam perpetuated by our own inability and unwillingness to confront uncomfortable and embarrassing truths about ourselves.

What advice would I give somebody if they are stuck? Study logic, math and economics. Concepts like “it from bit” by John A. Wheeler can be helpful. We need to process information from our environment correctly.

We look for evidence to fit our beliefs and expectations. We then exclude evidence that otherwise would have led to another “truth”. We then believe our false belief even more based on our own empirical deduction.

The flawed inferences and conclusions we hold about ourselves and the world are what hold us back. And we are oblivious as to the mechanisms that led us there even if they are through the means of a flawed “logic”.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

No, you won't. You're too comfortable, and comfort doesn't incite action. Most people allow their dreams to be bribed with a few hours of television, video games, or sleep. There will never be a perfect day, week, or month. Life is too aggressively chaotic with its own momentum. It is why Someday exists. Someday is a pacification to make yourself feel good for not quitting, but delaying. And we all know someday becomes never. Someday is a fat lie.

Never has there been one sentence that stinks of entrepreneurial ignorance. Most new businesses are built on marginal improvement and better efficiencies, not about becoming the next Steve Jobs. If life had no problems, there would be no ideas. Ideas are about solving problems, removing angsts, fixing inconveniences, delivering peace, sparking fun, and offering different ingredients.

If you have something I want or desperately need, I will not care about your personal histrionics or demographics. How much is it, and when can I get it? The injured man in the street comes to mind... if I'm bleeding in an alley and a man offers me a tourniquet, I'm not going to care how old the man is, how he's a bad father, or about his bankruptcy 24 years ago.

While this might be true, you also don't have enough discipline or focus. It's stunningly amazing how the people who claim to have no money also have no job, no education, no specialized skills, and no motivation to change the status quo. But you can bet they have the latest iPhone, a device that has instant access to unlimited knowledge.

I don't have money

Nice! Busting up the limiting beliefs.

I see these

- I don’t have enough money to start a business.

The reality… MOST successful businesses with multi-millionaire owners required more financial resources than the entrepreneur had to start the business.

Loans, investments, partnerships with better resourced people or firms all often contribute to the success of a venture.

- I can’t raise money.

Translation: “that scares me.”

You’re right you probably can’t with that attitude. Not because you couldn’t, but because you haven’t created a bang up offer that excites an investor.

You should be excited about what you are selling and the value you are creating. Whether it is to investors or customers.

- I can’t create a bang up offer.

Translation: I think I’m too stupid to come up with a valuable option.

Solution: self eduction. Work to become a respectable expert on a market and don’t stop until you are. Masterfully understand your proposal’s relationship to the market you know so well. I promise that will move you forward.

Business isn’t a “dip your toes in” thing. It’s immersion. Whole a$$ it.

Last edited:

T0rch

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jul 9, 2022

I don't have money

This is GOLD, MJ....Thanks so much.

Stupid question: Is there a way to pin or favourite this post?

ericlozada

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Nov 6, 2022

I don't have money

Love this!

rjdgreat

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Jul 28, 2022

I don't have money

Thanks Mj for reminding us!

Help Future You

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
400%
Nov 18, 2020
U.S.A.
Spot on as always. I took some time myself to do an inventory of what excuses I have personally made over the course of my life that have prevented me from achieving the level of success I aspire to. I think they tie nicely into your concept of lies because in a way each of them is their own little version of a lie that caused me to get stuck (or never start).

In no particular order:
  1. Fear of failure – Worried you won’t succeed, can’t risk the bruised ego if you try something and it doesn’t work out. In fact this is all imagined. You are pre-experiencing failure in advance by even entertaining it as a thought. You are ascribing judgement that others will place upon you without evidence to support it.
  2. Lack of motivation – Don’t feel like starting today, as you said you just don’t want it bad enough
  3. Distractions and procrastination – Always something else going on that needs your immediate attention
  4. Perfectionism – All the lights need to be green, can’t start unless they are
  5. Negative self-talk – Limiting self-beliefs create mental roadblocks
  6. Poor planning and organization – No systems set up to be successful
  7. Overwhelm – Too many options to choose from, so choosing none at all
  8. External circumstances and factors beyond control – Out of your hands so why worry at all. Can't solve an algebra equation chewing bumble gum.
  9. Lack of support or accountability – Not a self-starter and need hand holding
  10. Poor mental and physical health – Health is wealth, and those in poor health only have one wish
  11. Resistance to change – Trapped in comfort zone and familiarity
  12. Prioritizing other people or responsibilities over personal goals – Too busy to focus on yourself as long as you stay busy with other peoples' problems and issues
  13. Fear of success – What if this changes you?
  14. Indecision and uncertainty – Not sure if this is the right path
  15. Taking on too much at once – Inability to prioritize effectively
  16. Excessive stress and burnout – Not achieving necessary balance, your cup is full of the wrong things.
  17. Disorganization and disarray – A cluttered mind leads to a cluttered life
  18. Inability to set and maintain boundaries – Afraid to say no, people pleasing, cycle of burnout repeats itself without measurable progress being made
I try to operate with the mindset of "Know thy enemy and know yourself; in a hundred battles, you will never be defeated."

The greater we all get at shining the light on what is holding us back the more equipped we can be to choose a path that neutralizes or eliminates these lies, fears, doubts, and distractions.

Isaac Odongo

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Nov 7, 2022
Uganda

I don't have money

I just have to keep going uphill the road trip.

Consolation

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Sep 6, 2017
Malaysia
Wow. ChatGPT is getting good at writing listicles. Ok.. I'm jk

Thank you so much for creating this forum, MJ.

genesisk5

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Mar 25, 2020
south korea
It feels great that I already knew how you'd refute all those lies. having read all your books, some over 10 times, and 30+ other entrepreneurship and self help books, I feel like I'm finally ready to actually move out. having signed up here almost 3 years ago and been inactive for some time, I've always been mindful of your words "A lot of people vanish away soon after making great promises" and I've been thinking that I'm gonna prove I'm not one of them. for the last 3 years I've been gradually growing up but like exponentially, and the last 1 month was quite different, to the point that my self from 3 years ago would never believe to grow into who I am today, how productive I am, how mature I am in terms of both entrepreneurial mindset and life in general. there still must be long way to go but I'm going to embark on this journey soon, this time for real. I hope one day I can post my success story here and share what I invented which is an expansion to MJ's CENTS.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
629%
May 9, 2017
Washington State

I've fired like 8 of my employees.

I've been fired from my business 0 times and will continue to be the boss's favorite forever and ever.

Nick Catricala

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
May 24, 2017
Canada

I don't have money

Hey MJ.. thanks so much for showing me what a big laier I am...

Awakened2022

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
322%
Jan 14, 2023
Stupid question: Is there a way to pin or favourite this post?
I just highlight the parts I want to save and share them with quotes creator(an app on my smartphone). Those who know better e.g @Andy Black should chip in.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I just highlight the parts I want to save and share them with quotes creator(an app on my smartphone). Those who know better e.g @Andy Black should chip in.
I just bookmark posts I like @T0rch.

I even put a lot of my own threads in my signature so I can find them again.

mikecarlooch

Apprentice & Student Of The Game
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
344%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida

I don't have money

I love this forum.

You will not find such an amazing group of people who think this way anywhere else.

Such a great write up.

mikecarlooch

Apprentice & Student Of The Game
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
344%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
Translation: “that scares me.”

One mental model I've started using to combat the belief of fear that's been helpful is...

Put a seatbelt on fear and let it ride in the passenger seat. It'll be an annoying passenger, but you control the vehicle..

sravyasri

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Nov 9, 2021
This is a good writeup!

Sufi

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Jan 1, 2023
North America
This is fantastic MJ, thank you so much for surfacing this & being so direct with your points. I’m actually going to memorize these 9 lies so I can catch myself falling for them when I have a tendency to follow any of them all the way to status-quo-town.

1gnaci0

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jul 29, 2020
Spain
10 seconds into this article and needed to put my sunglasses on because of the brightness.

It truly is gold what we have here.

I have a lot of work to do with all these Lies and paradigm shifts

Thanks for sharing @MJ DeMarco

Cheers everybody!

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
333%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe

I don't have money

Wow this is an amazing share MJ. Really appreciate you putting this out here, taking away the excuses people often put up for not doing anything!

Raedrum

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
232%
Jul 30, 2019
I particularly like the first one, this was a game changer for me since I've read TMF , to shift from asking myself "Can I do it ?" to "HOW can I do it ?" And not only for business, this is kind of a life philosophy.

I have never learned so much as I have since !

Alessandros

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Oct 3, 2021
Germany
I think we need a poll about the 9 lies: which are the most relevant ones? In my opinion it is LIE #1 and #2, but I can be wrong.

Albert KOUADJA

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Mar 13, 2022

I don't have money

Thanks dad MJ for sharing. I will keep them in mind and do my best to avoid them or at least overcome them.

I read your millionaire highway book, I had thought entrepreneurship would now be like water but when it was when I started to send emails without getting a response in return that I understood I I have bread on the board.

Try until you find a solution or nothing. if we don't succeed we will never stop.

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Great kick start. I have fallen into the rut of some of these lies. I can't keep up all of the time. OK - no guilt - I needed a break and time to regroup. Time to reenter the race. I will not focus on wasted time - as I now have bigger and better ideas. Far better. Ideas are like plants - they do indeed grow with nurturing and time. On a related note - maybe a follow-up to the lies post could be about how to restart. I tell myself there is no failure - I either succeed or I get a lesson. It's good to embrace the lies this post points out - but also good to not allow them to wrap their tentacles around me. This was the perfect post to hit the reboot button.

evanwilson

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jan 9, 2020
Canada

I don't have money

A great post. Some of these lies actually bounce in my head. Thanks a lot!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.