The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What book are you reading? Right now. Post up!

DuPont

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jul 24, 2011
I am currently reading 2 books:

1. Nothing to Lose, Everything to Gain (a lot of the same principles and thinking with Millionaire Fastlane ) Ryan Blair

2. Unlimited: How to Build an Exceptional Life...Jillian Michaels

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

RAhul

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Aug 14, 2011
Reading built to sell...so far so good....talks about how a business should be able to exist without u if u wanna sell it...if it's too dependent on u, you're in for a lengthy earn out...which means you swap your position as a business owner to basically a job as an employee of another company taking orders from middle management!

dollarman

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Aug 21, 2011
The Richest Man In Babylon - George S Clason

The ABC's of Writing A Winning Business Plan - Garrett Sutton/Robert Kiyosaki

jmktok

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jul 4, 2011
I like Malcolm Gladwell... Blink, Outliers...all good. Just finished "Younger, sexier, next year" ... something like that, gave it to my sister... great book. Working on "Hot, Flat, Crowded" ... and The Glass Castle (Jeannette Walls)

premeddc

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
May 15, 2010
Hey premeddc,

Given this long list of books you have read - when did you start reading them, and how are you doing on your fastlane journey now?

Curious, as I believe I spend/have spent far too much time reading, not enough time doing...

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. Well, I started reading two years ago.I got laid off from my job and couldn't find any sales jobs ( I livedin downtown Cleveland at the time). So, I just got sick of beingturned down from jobs and decided to take matters into my own hands.Lucky enough for me, I lived about 5 houses away from a branch of theCleveland Public Library and lived about a 5 min. bus ride from themain library. I read from sun up till sun down. Soaking up books likea sponge. I'm being serious to. There wasn't a time or place that Ididn't have a book on my person. Friends would ask me to go out anddrink, I would, about once a month. The only problem was, once Iwas out, I always had a feeling I was wasting my time. Missingsomething good that would help me get out of the Rat Race. I was sopassionate that in my passion I started to see patterns ineverything. Once I saw that, I think I started to read even harder.Trying to find something I was missing. That's the irony of the wholething. My hunger is insatiable, It's a black whole of knowledge. It'sjust what makes me... me.

O.K. so, how am I doing in myfastlane journey? Well, I believe wealth comes from the inside. Ifyour not into quantum physics then you should be. The way to wealthis in understanding how the human mind works and learning to tap intothat technology. That’s right I said mind, not brain there is a difference. If you don'tknow the difference between the mind and the brain then shame on you.After reading all these books written by these incredible minds I sawa pattern, followed the bread crumbs, and started reading someparadigm altering material that I believe now has saved my life. Ithink MJ has it spot-on when he says, "It's the journey not the goalthat makes us fastlaner's."

Right now, I own a pet suppliesbusiness that I do part time. I'm not pulling enough passive incomeyet, but I will be at the end of this year. I also started buying asmuch silver as I can afford. If you don't know about silverand the biggest transfer of wealth in human history then you should.Right know, it's never been easier for an individual to become amulti-millionaire. That’s right boys an girls. This time in yourlife is something never before seen on earth. If you have thefinancial I.Q. to get it done you can literally go from 0 to 1,000MPH in a matter of a seconds. I am waiting out for that multimilliondollar deal. I like the way it was put in "Social Network...""You ever walk into a guys house and see him in a picture holding twelvetrout? No, you see him in a picture with a three-thousand poundmarlin. I'm looking for my three thousand pound marlin, and I won'tmove till I have set that hook.

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
Quote Originally Posted by Blacktye6000 View Post
The Millionaire Fastlane

How to read people like a book~Murry Oxman

48 Laws of Power~Robert Greene

The Seat of the Soul~Gary Zukav
Up next…

Who Owns the Ice House? Eight Life Lessons From an Unlikely Entrepreneur by Clifton Taulbert and Gary Schoeniger

How were the last three books you read?

CyrusVirus

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Jul 7, 2011
The Conversion Code - G. Livingstone (course, not book).
The Millionaire Fast Lane - MJ DeMarco
Wake Up Productive - Eben Pagan (course, video, not book)

I did Eben Pagan's Self-Made Wealth and Wake Up Productive course. It's really good :)

Here's the book I'm trying to read and make sense of recently.

Tao Te Ching by Lao Tzu.

Mr.Marnier

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
May 3, 2011
Currently reading Linchpin by Seth Godin, really like this guys insights, the book is so far covered in notes and underlined sentences, this is a good thing! well worth a read, I have 3 more of his to go with it, Purple Cow, Tribes and Poke The Box.

....I also have the Millionaire Fastlane on my ibooks which I refer to whenever i'm surrounded by sidewalk talk or contemplating an idea.

Blacktye6000

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Sep 17, 2011
Washington, DC
How were the last three books you read?

The 48 Laws of Power

I love the historical references!

By and large the best book I've read in my life. I wish I had the pleasure of reading it at 18. It's taught me how to deal with just about any type of person that's crossed my path.

The Seat of the Soul

Thought-provoking and dynamic…

I'm reminded of this idea; life just is, then we tell ourselves a story. It can be a good story or a bad story.

The Toltec Tradition~

This book has changed my life. I recommended it to many people. It is not about religion, it is about the spirituality that we all posess in whatever form we choose to express it. A person can take many things from this book if he or she is willing to open his or her mind to the richness of the message presented.

How to read people like a book… two stars

gabrielpark

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Sep 21, 2011
Reisterstown, MD
I usually read several books at a time and right now I am reading three books that reflect the Fast Lane mindset.

Just finished reading Warren Buffet's "The Snowball" bio, but it's a waste of time unless you're really a fan. The title of the book is the summary - build your fortune like a snowball. Reading that book - and being disgusted by how different Buffet is from the new "internet billionaires" - is what motivated me to seek "something else' that is more appropriate to ME... and that lead to The Millionaire Fast Lane.

I'm still reading The Millionaire Fast Lane (MJ DeMarco) I like how it boils everything down and cuts to the chase (well, at least in the later chapters.) I finally found a book that reflects my own mindset, and that's why I just joined this forum.

I'm almost done with the book "Growing Pains, Transitioning from an Entrepreneurship to a professionally Managed Firm" by EG Flamholtz and Yvonne Randle. I think you should think of it as a sequel to The Millionaire Fast Lane. It's supposed to be the best book out there on how to develop a large company structure. I'd recommend reading it as soon as it looks like you've found a way to "effect millions".

"Success Built to Last, Building a Life That Matters" is by Jerry Porras, Stewart Emery, and Mark Thompson is the other Fast Lane" book I'm reading. Here's a quote from Sir Richard Branson, who wrote the forward to it:
"From Bono and Quincy Jones to Maya Angelou and The Dalai Lama, they all challenged themselves to do more, be more and give back more than even they thought possible. Everyone wants success, but you can do better than that. This is an extraordinary book that finally reveals a meaningful 'secret formula' for success based on the lives of remarkable people."

That "secret forumula" is the Law of Effection that was more clearly explained in The Millionaire Fast Lane.

Komelika

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Sep 25, 2011
Albuquerque, NM
Just ordered The Millionaire Fastlane

Currently reading:

Start Your Own Business (a couple chapters into it)

Small Business for Dummies (nearly done, even the very basics can help me at this point)

On the shelf for future reading:

Import/Export for Dummies (wanted to explore the idea of selling Chinese ATVs, but doesn't seem to be a fit for me at this time)

What Your Contractor Can't Tell You (I'm very interested in building my own house in the near future. When I pay off my current home I am interested in contracting my own home build, selling my current house to pay off the new one and then repeating the process to sell future builds for profit. Seems a little slowlane, but I haven't read the book yet)

RAhul

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Aug 14, 2011
Check out Built to sell.

Also I'm currently reading the E Myth revisited....pretty interesting...

Got a couple of Donald trump books lined up right after....have u guys read any of those?

I love the rich dad poor dad books but that guy keeps talking about the same old thing in every book and there is hardly any new input!

PHD

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Sep 5, 2011
Gold Coast, Australia
Just finished reading Warren Buffet's "The Snowball" bio, but it's a waste of time unless you're really a fan.

Congratulations! I couldn't finish it, about 3/4 of the way through I realised I had stopped paying attention 100s of pages ago due to boredom.

I just finished the Millionaire fastlane and will be heading to the library sometime this week to look for something new. Also reading ‘From 0 to 130 properties in 3.5 years’ by Steve McKnight, an Australian property investor.

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
Congratulations! I couldn't finish it, about 3/4 of the way through I realised I had stopped paying attention 100s of pages ago due to boredom.

I just finished the Millionaire fastlane and will be heading to the library sometime this week to look for something new. Also reading ‘From 0 to 130 properties in 3.5 years’ by Steve McKnight, an Australian property investor.

Haha..couldn't finish it too.. 20 euros wasted.. wish I had bought Cashvertising instead...

Limitless

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jul 19, 2011

Haha..couldn't finish it too.. 20 euros wasted.. wish I had bought Cashvertising instead...

I was about to buy and when I saw how long it was I said Fthat and got the audio version, Finished it in a couple days as I listened to it while doing mindless things. Whenever there is a long book that is not instructional I get the audio version if available.

I am currently reading "Willpower" and "Talent is Over Rated"

gabrielpark

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Sep 21, 2011
Reisterstown, MD
I bought "The Snowball" used, think it was about $10 including shipping. It was still a waste. I think my next book will be Guy Kawasaki's "Art of the Start" and possible his newest book "Enchanted". I've got samples on my Kindle and will decide if they're worth buying after I've read the first chapter of each. But now I'm in the pre-launch phase, setting up my corporate structures, recruiting sales reps, doing demographic research, and deciding on an "onshore" (American) customer service outsourcing company. It will take me some time to get through the next set of books but I don't really need the knowledge in them just yet.

snowbank

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 10, 2007
Austin, TX
Just finished reading Warren Buffet's "The Snowball" bio, but it's a waste of time

umm, it's one thing if you didn't like it. it's definitely not a waste of time though, as there's a lot of value in that book.

in my experience there have been books that i read when i was younger that i thought didn't have value, and then i would read them a few years later and couldn't believe how i missed it the first time around. i've found that the more i learn, the more i learn i missed the first time, because i didn't recognize the value in what i was reading. i was focusing on the wrong variables.

gabrielpark

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Sep 21, 2011
Reisterstown, MD
umm, it's one thing if you didn't like it. it's definitely not a waste of time though, as there's a lot of value in that book.

in my experience there have been books that i read when i was younger that i thought didn't have value, and then i would read them a few years later and couldn't believe how i missed it the first time around. i've found that the more i learn, the more i learn i missed the first time, because i didn't recognize the value in what i was reading. i was focusing on the wrong variables.
You have a point, of course it offers value to some people...but in my case I got more out of The Fastlane book. I should have specified that reading Buffets book is a waste of time if all you want to do is to learn business methods, since the gist of the book is summed up in the title, "Snowball". Buffet meticulously researched and invested in value stocks and methodically grew his investments. How long was the book? I just summarized the business method found in the book in one sentence. Yes, you could apply that approach to building your own businesses instead of financial instruments - but reading the book is not necessary if that's your intent. So I'll be a bit more precise - Warren Buffet's "Snowball" book is outstanding if you're a fan of Warren Buffet, it's a very detailed depiction of exactly how Buffet developed and applied his philosophy of value investing... but if you're interested in "getting rich quick" the same way that MJ DeMarco and other recent millionaires did, then I think your time is better spent reading books other than "The Snowball".

Edit: Also, sometimes when you read a book it is not applicable to the stage of life that you're currently in. If I had read Snowball when I was much younger then I might be in a better place now, but that was not the case. Being in my forties, the Fastlane approach is now more appropriate to me.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.