The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What are your top 3 entrepreneurship books?

For any book discussion

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
If we're talking about starting/running a business.

The E-Myth Revisted by Michael Gerber

Ready, Fire, Aim by Michael Masterson

The Lean Startup by Eric Ries

Obviously I wouldn't even be here without The Millionaire Fastlane opening my eyes.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Argue

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Oct 1, 2016
NYC

Ivan2BAlive

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
May 24, 2017
Louisville, KY

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA

PetePreneur

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Jan 28, 2017
UK
Do any of you guys use Blinkist to help you with books?

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
First two that popped into my head (other than MJ ones):

- Do The Work (or) The War of Art by Steven Pressfield.
- The One Thing by Gary Keller.

Given that most of us entrepreneurs face a tremendous amount of resistance in our lives and have very lofty goals, these two books expertly address those two very things.

Do The Work and War of Art personifies "resistance" and is extremely and highly relatable to the struggles that creators face. If you've ever struggled to do something so stupidly easy as write an email because you just weren't 'feeling it' that day and no matter how logically you wanted to you couldn't bring yourself to do it, even if it would take 30 seconds, well this book is for you.

The One Thing is just all-around amazing but really does a good job explaining how focusing on just one thing at a time can bring amazing results. I'd say it's a VERY good summery of MOST other entrepreneur books out there as well. I think I enjoyed it about as much as TMF in terms of my reaction to reading it the first time. I was really impressed with it.

Jamaal

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 30, 2015
Miami FL
Do any of you guys use Blinkist to help you with books?

I used Blinkist for a few months... I feel it's great if you really don't have the time to read full books and if you like to listen to bite size summaries through audio while riding in the car, but nothing beats reading the full book as blinkist can only fit so much in their short summaries.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
Titan: The Life of John D. Rockefeller, Sr. - Ron Chernow
Steve Jobs - Walter Isaacson
Benjamin Franklin: An American Life - Walter Isaacson
Elon Musk: Tesla, SpaceX, and the Quest for a Fantastic Future - Ashlee Vance
Zero to One: Notes on Startups, or How to Build the Future - Peter Thiel and Blake Masters

1.) The Millionaire Fastlane - MJ DeMarco
2.) Unscripted - MJ DeMarco
3.) Do The Work - Steven Pressfield
4.) The War of Art - Steven Pressfield

PedroG

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Oct 1, 2013
NH
- TMF
- Awaken the Giant Within
- DotCom Secrets

Haven't read unscripted yet. I need to read about 2 more books before I get to that one.

Last edited:

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
Easy!
  • How To Win Friends And Influence People - Dale Carnegie
  • Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion - Robert B. Cialdini
  • The Millionaire Fastlane - MJ DeMarco
These three books forever altered the course of my life and all the dealings that I have with everyone around me. Nothing else has had such a huge impact on my life.

As such, these three books also get read at least once a year (probably for the rest of my life)

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
If we're talking about starting/running a business.

Ready, Fire, Aim by Michael Masterson

The Lean Startup by Eric Ries

Obviously I wouldn't even be here without The Millionaire Fastlane opening my eyes.

Just received it today and looking forward to using it to blow some startup cobwebs out of my head.

Rawseed

Legendary Lurker
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
255%
Mar 1, 2018
Atlanta, GA
I'll give you my top three that haven't been mentioned.

Essentialism by McKeown
Competing Against Luck by Christensen
Primal Branding by Hanlon

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
These aren’t specifically Entrepreneurship, but they’re absolute must read:

24040556.jpg
Many scientific and philosophical ideas are so powerful that they can be applied to our lives at home and work and school to help us think smarter and more effectively about our behaviour and the world around us. Surprisingly, many of these ideas remain unknown to most of us.

In Mindware, the world-renowned psychologist Richard Nisbett presents these ideas in clear and accessible detail, offering a tool kit for better thinking and wiser decisions. He has made a distinguished career of studying and teaching such powerful problem-solving concepts as the law of large numbers, statistical regression, cost-benefit analysis, sunk costs and opportunity costs, and causation and correlation, probing how best to teach others to use them effectively in their daily lives.

In this groundbreaking book, he shows that a course in a given field--statistics or economics, for example--often doesn't work as well as a few minutes of more practical instruction in analyzing everyday situations. Mindware shows how to reframe common problems in such a way that these powerful scientific and statistical concepts can be applied to them. The result is an enlightening and practical guide to the most powerful tools of reasoning ever developed--tools that can easily be used to make better professional, business and personal decisions.​

Mindware: Tools for Smart Thinking by Richard E. Nisbett

Read the description of the book on goodreads, it says it all.

This book is so fundamental to accurate thinking. It takes the things being taught about the scientific method and allows you to apply them to real life. Accurate thinking may sound boring, but flawed reasoning leads to flawed results.

Probably even more important than Mindware is this book, The Mood Cure: The 4-Step Program to Take Charge of Your Emotions--Today:

mooddddd.jpg
Are you a part of the bad mood epidemic? Here are the answers you've been looking for!

Julia Ross’s plan provides a natural cure for your mood. Drawing on thirty years of experience, she presents breakthrough solutions to overcoming depression, anxiety, irritability, stress, and other negative emotional states that are diminishing the quality of our lives. Her comprehensive program is based on the use of four mood-building amino acids and other surprisingly potent nutrient supplements, plus a diet rich in good-mood foods such as protein, healthy fat, and certain key vegetables. Including an individualized mood-type questionnaire, The Mood Cure has all the tools to help you get started today and feel better tomorrow.

The Mood Cure: The 4-Step Program to Take Charge of Your Emotions--Today". I posted a thread on another forum about her books and it started a sh--storm. Like page and pages of people saying it changed their lives. They’re books about nutrition and she explains how nutrition drastically improves our mood, focus and performance. It’s not fluffy self-help crap. It’s real, actionable advice.

If you read the reviews on Amazon/Goodreads you’ll see:

This book is a miracle. Can't say enough. Who knew that a fifteen-year anxiety problem could be caused by a dietary problem. I made a few changes to my diet and took some amino acid supplements, and the problem went away. It's a quick read, and the explanations make so much sense. This is one of those books that you wish you could share with everyone.

I started implementing the recommendations in this book, and I'm feeling better in less than a week! I only started with one supplement so if I improve, then I'd know exactly what was working. There's one more I want to try now.

My next one is, of course:

51Ihnen8KfL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Life. Liberty. And the Pursuit of Entrepreneurship.

It is waking up in the morning and pinching yourself black-and-blue that OMG, this is my life, and it is freaking awesome. You live in your dream house, but there's no mortgage. No alarm clock, no boss, no bills. No claims on the day's time other than what you choose. It is making more money before breakfast than you made for an entire week at your last job. It is a crazy expensive car parked in your garage, a victorious symbol that your dreams no longer sleep in fantasies, but are awake with reality.

Make no mistake, this life exists. I know, because it has been mine for nearly 20 years. And in a few short years, it can be yours as well. Better, you won't need 5 tedious decades of soul-suffocating frugality, thankless jobs, and patient investing with our trusted friends on Wall Street.

Unfortunately, you have been SCRIPTED to believe that such a life is out of your reach, or only possible for a certain type of person; someone with a certain college degree, a certain amount of VC funding, or a certain LinkedIn network of connected friends from Stanford. I am here to tell you, that none of it is true.

While I have been entrepreneur most of my life, I am no one special. You won't read about me over at Tech Crunch or in some Silicon Valley newsletter. While I have been an internet entrepreneur since the old "you've got mail" AOL days, I have never been funded by venture capitalists, I have never had a payroll with more than 5 people on it, and I have never studied computer science at school.

Despite this, I am able to create profitable businesses that create the type of UNSCRIPTED life described above. We are talking five- and six-figure monthly profits with valuations in the millions. Although I have had two successful exits, do not let that scare you; it is just a welcome side effect of the process.

Make no mistake, UNSCRIPTED is not about some trendy new marketing tactic that becomes ineffectively overused within months. It's not about stock-market fairy tales and depriving yourself of life's luxuries; Amazon already has a gazillion books on such trash. UNSCRIPTED was written to change your life.

It was written for you if life has become hopeless and dissatisfying. It is for you if your weekday is held hostage by the bribery of its paycheck. It is for you if you are sick of the suck and tired of the tiresome: the breakroom gossip, the office politics, the managerial butt-kissing, and whatever else boils when multiple human beings are tossed in a box and tasked with corporate minutia. It is for you if you yearn for the creative autonomy to pursue work that matters. It is for you if you have X-ray vision and can see what your parents cannot; that life's formulaic, scripted template has become dated and flawed.

But most importantly, UNSCRIPTED is for you if you have been an aspiring entrepreneur far too long, someone who cannot turn a corner, turn a break, or turn a profit. Someone who might already own a business, but like a job, it just steals time and barely keeps the bill-paying treadmill moving until next month.

So, if you are ready for the challenge, get ready for a sh*t-your-pants revelation that everything you have been taught is bullsh*t. Legendary bullsh*t.

Paradigm shift?

Heck no. The problem is the paradigm itself. You have allowed the paradigm to set the rules, call the shots, and dictate the decisions. The problem is, you have allowed ordinary thinking preached by ordinary people to produce exactly that; an ordinary life. The paradigm shift is realizing the paradigm is sh*t.

Start leading life, instead of life leading you

Anyway, those re my three all-time favorites.​

Last edited:

Kennypaul

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Mar 19, 2018