The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What are MJ Demarco's religious/spiritual beliefs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eskil

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jul 18, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ

1AllSeeingEye1

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Dec 3, 2017
Beverly Hills

BrooklynHustle

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Apr 3, 2014
DMV
Last I checked the title of this section of the forum is, literally, named "General Mindset, Motivations and Beliefs" not "business and entrepreneurship".

Maybe that explains why I am asking a question about this forums creators belief system? If you need a more in-depth explanation let me know. Perhaps I could try make it even more simple for you two to understand. Maybe spell it out letter by letter with "-" so you can see each letter individually and string them together?
Impressive. Please continue :rofl:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
does briefly share his beliefs.

That post was nearly a decade ago and a lot has changed since, so I wouldn't say that posting is entirely accurate how I feel now. (I still, however, believe that Christian values (WWJD) are/were helpful as a guiding principle, and still are today.)

I'd elaborate further but, again, it would take more time to explain than I'm willing to spend ATM. Let's just say (for now) that I am not "religious" in any form, especially pertaining to dogmatisms, but I'm not atheist either.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
Why does this matter to you? This forum is about business & entrepreneurship.
I see both sides of this.

Belief systems are an important part of our journey when we first get into entrepreneurship. Shedding things such as 'making money is greedy and you will be bad' to 'add value to people and the more you give, the more you receive' is one example.

I joined this forum in 2011 (completely atheist). In 2014, my first business took off and I quit my job, despite the fear of 'what if I fail'.

In October 2015, all of my apps crashed during an iOS ranking algorithm update and I took on some serious debt. Heart palpitations and night sweats led me to the hospital on many occasions that winter.

There are 4 levels of personal development:
  1. Physical
  2. Mental
  3. Emotional
  4. Spiritual
If a problem can't be fixed at one level, it's time to dig deeper beneath the surface; to get to the root cause. I studied this a lot, and worked with hundreds of people helping them through struggles in their life the same. In my time, I realized that 99% of the things we deal with are solved at the third deepest level (the emotional level).

But for that final 1% of things I can't break through with clients with...

Taking on a spiritual (or religious) belief system helps us as business owners to help keep us emotionally aligned through the good and the bad times of our business.

For me, I do so in the form of law of attraction (not the bullshit feel-good emotions mainstream one), but understanding that I can shape myself into a stronger person through events life (or the universe) throws my way. That the bad things that happen to me (on the outside) are a sign of something within myself to work through.

And that sometimes really great things come out of nowhere in mysterious ways.

It took installing a spiritual belief system for that to help me on my journey.

Now, it has helped me with more than just balancing emotions.

I now can sense vibes from people I just meet to see if they are people that are going to be important people in my lives, or just someone passing through. I had one guy I met who wanted to be a customer, but I just sensed right away he wasn't committed to the goals I help people with.

Then, when I set the intent to make $2,000 to buy the plane tickets to travel through Europe last year, I saw a guy write something online and just felt a sense to message him.

He paid me $2,000 for my services, because I acted on that.

Most people on this forum don't agree with my personal beliefs...but it's fine because this is what works for me.

For the original poster... @1AllSeeingEye1

While it's great to model success and develop the belief systems of people who already are where you want to be...another important element to this is...

What works for you?

Does your belief system move you towards your business goals, or does it hinder you and hold you back? I have a friend who has a religious belief that money and greed is evil. Her religion is most important to her, so that belief works for her. But if she wanted to start a business, the question I would ask her...

What beliefs work for YOU (individually - what works for myself, or for MJ might not work for you)?

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
The following post is 8 years old but @MJ DeMarco does briefly share his beliefs.
How does your religion coincide with your success?
On the bright side, Fastlane did help to greatly improve my views and thinking processes on my own faith.

Here are some insights I came upon as time went by after immersing in the Fastlane doctrine for some time, and thinking what it had to do with my faith:

1. Although Fastlane is a business strategy, it is, at its core, one based on providing value and focus on giving before receiving. Many religions, if not all, support this notion.

2. The usual enemies of entrepreneurship such as action faking and wantrapreneurship are also found in religious sectors. Not because religion is bad, but because of people...we are still weak and imperfect all the same, with fears and desires of our own.

3. The many biases such as Lonny-leaping and event idealism as detailed in UNSCRIPTED exist in religious sectors. Not every 'gurus' path is the one that I should follow. And even behind every miracle or 'divine' help, there is process. No process, no miracles.

In my younger days, the hype was that you had to serve as a preacher or missionary to gain the best of blessings. Many kids were jumping onto that bandwagon, going for huge youth events or 'Revolution' seminars.

Last I heard of them, they didn't even end up doing that. But that trend had immense societal pressures upon me. I barely escaped by making lots of excuses not to go.

Which brings me to my next nugget:

4. Religion is a personal journey that no one will lead you by the hand. There is no F*cking list, like Fastlane entrepreneurship.
Sure, any religion has rules and beliefs. But the paths we all take are different.

No event will make me enhance my faith.
No guru will make me improve my faith. Well, they can offer some nuggets, but ultimately there is no one-doctrine fits all.

I eventually found other believers who practiced different prayer habits. Some prayed all day. Some prayed only sporadically. Others, hardly. But they excelled in their own way.

Same goes for my friends of other faiths.

5. There are no such thing as green pastures.
Some argue that their religion is superior to one another. Maybe it is. Maybe it isn't.

But the similarity between the most devout and benevolent of believers of all faiths is that they follow the similar process of discipline, value-focused execution and desire for self-education.

I used to be very biased against those who didn't share my beliefs. Yes, there was a time I when I believed that some evil spirit was blinding them.

Today, I decide that probably we are our own evil spirits. We make our own decisions that can doom or save us. So, I decided to appreciate others for things we can agree on, like morality and the common good.

This is akin to the conflict between me and other Slowlaners...I find it more profitable to discuss on things we can all agree on like sales, worksmanship and attributes related to a value skew.

When there are similarities sides can all share, greener pastures seem non-existent. It's just different pastures.

Different, not deficient.

6. Fastlane is a mindset.
Fastlane taught me to find my own answers, assess information, make mistakes and learn from them.

This helped me a lot in my own faith.
Slowly, but gradually, I began to be more able to identify which doctrine suited my situation, which route I should take, and which route I should not.

I found myself distancing away from 'religious' people who only knew about the backyard of the house, to get closer with more people who might not even have a faith, but knew far more than the backyard. Or in other words, I met UNSCRIPTED people.

And I never said this before...but it was my troubles with my own faith that also led me here....(not only my troubles with Kiyosaki lol)

When I lost my girl to the mechanisms of the Slowlane world, no religion could solve that for me. When one is hit with depression, one cannot make decisions right. So with my faith in the limbo, I went to look for answers.

And I came here. ;)

Instead of fixed answers, I found a new blueprint. A better way of thinking.

I went back to my faith, to whatever holy book and doctrine. Turns out, past all the influences of the gurus and the opinions of others, everything became clear.

I was free to live my faith as I needed to. Freed from fearing societal pressures or dogmas.

Fastlane is a mindset.

I know religion is quite the spicy potato around here...but well, something has to be said. Fastlane improved my life even more than financial or business terms. It did something more.

So @MJ DeMarco, thank you again for giving me these insights that improved my faith. Based on that earlier thread above, I understand that being non- denominational is very beneficial as you get a holistic non-biased view of the faith. You aren't religious, but yet you have helped me even more than some 'religious' folks.

Richie Rich

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Mar 26, 2012
Louisville, KY
That post was nearly a decade ago and a lot has changed since, so I wouldn't say that posting is entirely accurate how I feel now. (I still, however, believe that Christian values (WWJD) are/were helpful as a guiding principle, and still are today.)

I'd elaborate further but, again, it would take more time to explain than I'm willing to spend ATM. Let's just say (for now) that I am not "religious" in any form, especially pertaining to dogmatisms, but I'm not atheist either.

My guess is MJ is a Deist, like myself; it's just a guess, so please don't give me grief if I'm incorrect. I'm not an atheist either, but when it comes to the argument of destiny/divine intervention vs. free will, God (or whatever higher power you believe in/to be true) sets the board and leaves it to us to play the game (live our lives) as we see fit. Our success or lack thereof is not predicated on God/Higher Power doing the work for us, but on our own efforts and ambition. All men (read PC version: people) are created equal, but that's where it ends. What we achieve or fail to achieve falls on each of our own shoulders and not because some deity didn't answer our prayers or didn't give us what we wanted, like a kid at Christmas asking Santa for whatever his heart desires. Those are fantasies. The reality is that each of us alone is responsible for our own actions (or inactions) and we are ultimately responsible for our destinies/fates.

"There is no fate but that which we make" - John Connor (Terminator 2: Judgment Day)

Invictus
By William Ernest Henley

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds and shall find me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.

Invictus by William Ernest Henley

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Let's just say (for now) that I am not "religious" in any form, especially pertaining to dogmatisms, but I'm not atheist either.
We've had more than a few interesting and enlightening conversations in this area. Some of which has actually been hinted at by both of us in various threads throughout the forum.

:smile2:

DavidK

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
May 23, 2017
Hurricane, UT
I know many people (myself included) whom do not openly speak about beliefs, however still enjoy the discussion with certain company. As such, there are few opportunities to indulge. Perhaps a problem that needs solving?

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
Since when does God Himself have a religion? He IS the religion!

On a more serious note, I remember there were some lines in TMF and Unscripted where He mentioned "God" and Christianity, so I assume He's a Christian unless He has changed it since. Also, in His videos on YouTube, He wears a cross I remember.

Anyway, Fastlane itself is a religion to me.

Hello, I just asked mj as we are travelling together on a private jet towards Las Vegas, he said he’s a practicing Christian that attends Sunday church every weekend and believes in ghosts. Hope that helped you

How's your hustle coming along? Haven't seen updates from you for a while except funny jokes which made me lol hard everytime.

Is there a way you can turn your jokey personality into some hustle?

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Since when does God Himself have a religion? He IS the religion!

On a more serious note, I remember there were some lines in TMF and Unscripted where He mentioned "God" and Christianity, so I assume He's a Christian unless He has changed it since. Also, in His videos on YouTube, He wears a cross I remember.

Anyway, Fastlane itself is a religion to me.

How's your hustle coming along? Haven't seen updates from you for a while except funny jokes which made me lol hard everytime.

Is there a way you can turn your jokey personality into some hustle?
Lol I doubt that, but I’ve made a couple of sales although considering the progress I could of made this year it’s not to great, heading in the right direction for 2018 though! I’m on the way to Calgary as I’m typing this, I believe we are in the same industry? Biophase made a good post on the last page of my thread, you should check that out

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
MJ is a God himself.

And the one most likely to reject that musing... is... MJ.

No aspirations to be elevated. His books are breadcrumbs left for those who come behind him.

You'll note he doesn't sell seminars, even though he could. I told him to double the price of the Scottsdale meetup. He won't.

He doesn't sell "next level" courses. His content is all laid bare in a $20 book and some FREE YouTube videos. He created the INSIDERS for us, at our request.

He puts his pants on one leg at a time, grocery shops, and deals with family stuff just like you and I do.

Hell, he even refused to do a PR tour for the latest book (he could have.) He figured it people wanted it they would buy it (pull) vs. him promoting it (push).

MJ's no G_d. MJ's a guy that got some things right along a long journey, and then chronicled them for us to read.

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
I know that no one asked me...

but this is my toilet paper if you wanted to know.

- removed -

realized it fell under politics

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore

No aspirations to be elevated. His books are breadcrumbs left for those who come behind him.

You'll note he doesn't sell seminars, even though he could. I told him to double the price of the Scottsdale meetup. He won't.

He doesn't sell "next level" courses. His content is all laid bare in a $20 book and some FREE YouTube videos. He created the INSIDERS for us, at our request.

He puts his pants on one leg at a time, grocery shops, and deals with family stuff just like you and I do.

Hell, he even refused to do a PR tour for the latest book (he could have.) He figured it people wanted it they would buy it (pull) vs. him promoting it (push).

MJ's no G_d. MJ's a guy that got some things right along a long journey, and then chronicled them for us to read.

In any case, it would be good if we can wear some sort of pendant (like the cross but with MJ's symbol or face) around our neck. I would buy that for US$25.

arcola

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Feb 17, 2013
Los Angeles

Looks like I was right. I knew it.

He's probably believes in the god of spinoza....

TKDTyler

The Tea Guy
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
347%
Aug 25, 2014

That settles it; MJ is confirmed illuminati

Maxboost

Silver Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
215%
Apr 4, 2016
This forum is devolving into other once great forums. I petition to remove this thread as it serves no purpose other than to have " I am right, you are wrong" arguments. Let's focus on helping each other out which is why I love this place...

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
This forum is devolving into other once great forums. I petition to remove this thread as it serves no purpose other than to have " I am right, you are wrong" arguments. Let's focus on helping each other out which is why I love this place...
If it gets locked, it will just go quietly away.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
See title. I did not see it on his bio and did a search but nothing notable came up. Not sure if it has been posted here; if so please leave link to thread.

What are yours?

1AllSeeingEye1

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Dec 3, 2017
Beverly Hills
I'd elaborate further but, again, it would take more time to explain than I'm willing to spend ATM.

I am sure it would as it's probably very illuminating.

Let's just say (for now) that I am not "religious" in any form, especially pertaining to dogmatisms, but I'm not atheist either.

Ok cool. Maybe you should write a book about it one day; if you did I'd pick up a copy. Since you're a math guy Pythagoras would probably enjoy it.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Since you're a math guy

The mathematics woven into the universe is actually quite astounding, not to mention once you start looking into quantum physics, entanglement, etc.

Bottomline, the more I investigate theological stuff with science, the more I feel my "religion" falls somewhere into this...

theTruth.jpg

This makes me a "truther" ... where I feel all religions have value and truth. And each have prescribed ways of living honorably, peacefully, and happily. But each have also been perverted by mortal men and their thirst for power and influence thru their use of dogma.

Overall, I believe Christianity and Buddhism have great messages that align with my entrepreneurial philosophy and helped me tremendously over the years, so much so I enjoy their places of worship and reverence.

Unfortunately because religion is not a topic for discussion here, I now must close the topic. Hope this helps explain my "religion" or "spiritual beliefs."

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007