The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Undercover Billionaire, My Take on the Fake...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
So I just got back from a little vacation in Cabo San Lucas and upon my return home, I also returned with a little food poisoning. That hung me up in bed for 2 days and as such, I was able to catch up with this reality TV series that has the big thread here, which also was recommended that I watch.

While I read much of that thread, I did not read ALL of it as it started to deteriorate.

As of now, I’ve watched 4 episodes and really want to write my own thoughts on it here in a separate thread.

First let me preface the following:

1. I fully believe the American Dream is not only alive and well, it is more accessible than EVER before.

2. I fully believe that building a business from $100 cash (and essentially homeless) to a $1M valuation is possible in a short period of time, say 1 or 2 years (perhaps even in 6 mos)… however, the 90 days as posited on this show is just plain bunk and truly demonstrates how FAKE and SCRIPTED this show is. I’ll highlight why below.

3. All of the BUSINESS CONCEPTS and STRATEGIES highlight by Glenn are SPOT-ON… I found myself NODDING and thumbs-upping every single one…

4. Note that Glenn isn't "following his passion" or anything related to it, but purely fitting his business to market demand. He leaves the passion for his employees... something to make you go "hmmmm..."

In that respect, this show definitely has some teachable moments for all of us.

Unfortunately this show reminds me why I avoid reality TV because reality TV is NOT reality. It's 90% fake, 10% real.

What Glenn is doing in this show— the specifics— are completely contrived, scripted, and/or not repeatable due to the DOCUMENTARY FACTOR, which as the show describes in effect as, “We’re doing a documentary following an older man who has been in the corporate workforce for all his life and now wants to start over by starting a business.” In short, this pretense, even in being fake and not entirely true, is enough for Glenn to work magic as he rolls Erie around with his film crew.

His path (specifically “the team” aspects) are completely due to the DOCUMENTARY FACTOR that has given him a certain mystique and credibility when undertaking his journey.

Think about that for a moment…

THE DOCUMENTARY FACTOR.

Not sure how many of you know how a documentary works, but you can’t just throw ANY BYSTANDER on it without having them FIRST sign a ton of legal papers— waivers, indemnification, releases, more — it’s literally a clusterfuck of legal paperwork and this usually happens before the first contact. These people on this show aren’t just random folks, they had to be pre-screened and selected at some point, then approached, interviewed, and then sign legal paperwork.

When people watch reality TV, they seem to forget that there are 2 cameramen (2 large cameras), and a boom mic operator -- the person being followed literally has an entourage the feigns as fame, notoriety, and/or credibility. All of these help Glenn, every step of the way.

To give you an example…

Using @biophase and @AllenCrawley as an example, if a 55 year old guy (who looked somewhat desolate and desperate) walked into their warehouse (Allen and Kenric work together) and this older guy had this “great idea!” to start a restaurant or a brewery, they’d smile and talk to him for 5 minutes and then send him on his way.

However, if Allen and Kenric got an email 30 days earlier from the Discovery Channel saying “We’d like to include you (and in some respects, your business) in a Discovery Documentary where we are following the trials and tribulations of an older American who is trying to start over in his life as an entrepreneur after 40 years in corporate America, would you like to participate???”

They probably would, and minimally, pay serious attention.

Mostly EVERYONE WANTS TO BE FAMOUS, or at least, get the benefits of fame.

And then when the documentary subject arrives at their warehouse, 3 people are tagging along with him -- two camera men and a boom mic operator — this is the mystique, intrigue, and credibility that GLENN carries around with him as he trolls the streets of Erie. Allen and Kenric probably would pay attention, moreso than some random walk-in.

Without the DOCUMENTARY FACTOR that Glenn can leverage, folks like Allen or Kenric (and ANYONE in Erie) would NOT drop (or minimally postpone) their businesses and start working full time for some random stranger with a dream, and not only that, do it WITHOUT ANY PAY, or ANY written agreement! It’s complete BS.

I get “will you invest in my dream” emails every week. I have no choice but to ignore them, or decline them.

However if one of those emails also included a “hook” like having my book featured on the Discovery Channel or giving me exposure, even if just for minutes, you’d think I’d pay attention? You’d think I’d might show up at some shit-hole house and pull moldy carpet for FREE? You bet your a$$.

If someone believes the American dream is dead, I don’t see this show helping, especially if they try to repeat the same type of things without having the benefit of a documentary crew following them around.

Side note: The billionaire, from his voice to his gestures to his willingness to get dirty in the mud reminds me of @SteveO on the forum. I feel like I’m watching him.

That said, here are the specifics that I found most troublesome...

1. Glenn’s journey is mostly benefited by the DOCUMENTARY FACTOR (see above).
    As Glenn wanders around Erie, he is entouraged by 3 people walking around with him: 2 camera men and a boom operator … You don’t think people will give him special attention? More so than some random bum?

2. His flip projects are probably illegal
    Trespassing on private property and stealing tires. OK. I can’t speak for Erie, but I know in Chicago or here in Arizona, you’d probably be arrested after a few days of trolling through abandoned property. Abandoned property still has an owner; a corporation, person, maybe a bank. You can trespass on private (or public) property and take what you want. I own land -- if someone rolls onto my property and mines a two ton quartz rock, they've stolen from me. This is either FAKE, ILLEGAL, or the beneficiary of the DOCUMENTARY FACTOR. None of it is good.

In my own example, I once tried years ago to load up my truck with a pile of large rocks I found in the middle of the undeveloped desert -- the rocks weren't dumped or anything, just natural landscape! Within twenty minutes, I had a state land official kick me off the property to telling me it was illegal and if i returned, I would be arrested.

3. Selling St. Patty’s gear in a private bar?
    Really? Try that. Go ahead and try selling stuff on private property and see how long it takes for the owner (or the bouncer) to KICK YOU OUT. I'm guessing 10 minutes. Again, the DOCUMENTARY FACTOR (see above) allows Glenn to get away with it. I'm sure the owner was OK with it, because well, my bar will be on TV!

4. Selling St. Patty’s gear during a parade.
    Sorry, in most jurisdictions you can’t do this either without a PERMIT or a LICENSE. They can be terribly expensive. Again, I’m guessing the DOCUMENTARY FACTOR once again gave Glenn this privilege, or he did it illegally.

5. Selling a random car on a random street corner, or on private property.
    Again, Glenn seems to get away with a lot of stuff. Here in Arizona, if you do that, typically your car will get towed within a day, either by the city, or by the land owner. But again, I’m sure Glenn benefits from having a DOCUMENTARY behind him, so he can just sell his cars on “his favorite corner.” Additionally, where is the title transfer? Notary?

6. Glenn can find cars for $1000 and flip them days later for 400% profit ...
    Not only once did lightning strike once, but twice and just in days! With 400%+ profits, why not just do that for 3 months?

7. The willingness of business owners willing to share their secrets with a potential competitor.
    Quite possibly the most ridiculous thing yet and the most audacious affect of having a documentary behind you. Imagine someone walking into Allen or Kenric’s warehouse and saying, “Hey, can you tell me how profitable selling dog gear is? Or personal grooming is? I’d like to maybe start something similar!” Ha Ha — you get a quick “thanks, but no thanks”

And yet, Glenn can do it with ease — to get the coffee lady to talk as well as breweries as if he has some special power. Well he does — the power of the DOCUMENTARY and the power of people wanting to be on television.

8. Glenn gets a bank loan to flip a house.
    Wow. Tell me, where can I get a loan with a FAKE NAME, NO JOB, NO ASSETS, NO CREDIT and NO SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER? Sign me up! If he has this special knowledge, then he used "special knowledge" something which he wasn't supposed to do.

9. Glenn gets a spot at the BBQ FEST.
    I’m guessing without the power of the DOCUMENTARY behind him … he would have never gotten a spot. These types for events are typically SOLD OUT months in advance, and also have registrations and applications so only the best are admitted. But Glenn gets a spot and at the last minute, and with no experience. Yea, right.

10. Glenn’s visit to the Hospital ER — it only cost him a $250 co-pay.
    In other words, he has health insurance and not only that, CADILLAC insurance. Since Obamacare has become law, deductibles are extremely high, $3K, $6K, and $9k. As an entrepreneur, health insurance is one of my biggest expenses, and on top of that, it is shitty insurance.

Every visit to the ER for myself since costs minimally $1,500 or more, depending on tests and treatment.

Glenn, compliments of his Cadillac Health Insurance plan (which is not disclosed in his cost structure) gets out of it with a mere $250 … again, where do I sign up for that?

11. What billionaire wouldn’t know that it would take months to get the proper licenses to brew beer?
    He has access to the internet and I refuse to believe he is that obtuse. No, this was just a pre-set SCRIPT designed to set us up for the strategy of THE PIVOT.

This entire show is kabuki theater -- the bonus of the theater is the drapes which are real ... Glenn's business advice.

And in my opinion, this "reality show" is NOT showing the average downtrodden American how to truly escape the rat race -- it might actually be proving the opposite. Can you imagine dozens of random people showing up in bars to sell stuff? Every street corner having cars for sale? Every parade filled with vendors? There are reasons why this stuff needs permits and/or permissions from private or public owners.

As an entrepreneur who started off in similar straits just as the fake Glenn on this show, it just isn't realistic. And it's probably going to give a lot of false hope and false expectations to those folks who are still in the "try" mentality of entrepreneurship.

Yes, you can flip cars, sell scrap, work odds jobs, and hustle hard to set yourself off on the right foot and build from there... however I'm not buying any of the "TEAM" aspects of this show. None of it. Period. It merely exists due to the presence and pretense of the documentary ... fame, notoriety, free business PR, whatever... and when the "unpaid, risk taking" team angle falls apart, everything else after does as well. The most realistic aspect here is the hustle/arbitraging.

I'll leave with this quote from @JAJT in the original thread...

Everything on Pawn Stars is scripted too. They bought a Jeep from my friend and he was even told when and how to smile or smirk when giving the interview.
My daughter and her boyfriend were on Divorce court. They were not married, and the shows producers helped them tailor their story (which was completely made up) to be more interesting. They are now married and since they've already been "divorced", it should last forever.
My cousin was on a Toronto dating show called Matchmaker many years ago. She said it was completely scripted and she met her "blind date" before filming so the producers could go over the script with them. They were given a list of ridiculous and racy questions to ask each other and encouraged to make out if they actually liked each other or to cause a scene and be dramatic if they didn't really click.
My aunt and uncle were on "Love It Or List It" they had them record both endings and the network chose which one they thought was best. They are still in the house and they love it, but the show says they listed it.
My friend was on What Not to Wear, and I was in the audience of people who were there to react when she came out from behind the curtain with her new look. She came out over and over again, but our cheering was never enthusiastic enough for the producers. After about 10 takes, we were screaming our heads off, totally hysterical, as if we'd just seen her rise from the dead.
I have worked on several reality shows. Some are more fake than others, but they are all heavily scheduled and formatted, never spontaneous.

I worked on a certain MTV dating show where one of the contestants tried to escape the house in the middle of the night, and one of the Production Assistants had to tackle him in the front yard and drag him back into the house. It's like prison, they are completely cut out from the outside world (no computer, books, phones, watches) and they are fed mostly booze. They all go insane.

I have a friend who signed up to audition for a show that she thought was "The Bachelorette", or something similar. I guess its standard practice to not give the actual name of the show, and just say, "We need good looking, energetic young women for blah blah blah."

So she got called back, went through a few different interviews and a screen test. Finally, they tell her that the concept is that she will be running a Pawn Shop with another woman. She is a dental assistant with no experience remotely related to the Pawn business.

"Pawn Queens" ended up being on for two seasons and they gave her a backstory about how/why she got interested in the pawn business. Not exactly SHOCKING, but it was pretty interesting to see that they basically looked for hot girls first, then put them into a proven concept ("Pawn Stars"-type reality show).

I had a friend on Cash In The Attic in the UK. The idea is that some antique dealers and so on will scout around in your attic/garage/shed and "find" valuable items to sell.

They found precisely F*ck all in my friend's house, so they pulled some paintings and a vase out of the van, "found" them, then asked him to go and get changed so they could film a segment from "after the sale".

It all seems like a complete waste of time, aside from the couple of hundred quid they gave him.

Moral of the story - don't come for the "reality" part of reality shows. They are entertainment first and occasionally you might learn a thing or two along the way.

I believe this to be the case with Undercover Billionaire -- tune in for the advice, the splendor of the drapes, ignore the theater.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
So what you're saying is, start a business and hire 3 college kids to follow you around with cameras and a boom mic and doors will open..?

Kidding aside.. this probably would work for someone with the guts to try it..

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
I really enjoy this show. Same with you MJ, I find myself nodding along to all of his little interlude parts, where he shares his wisdom. I do believe in the concept of this show, but you've made some very serious points that I never thought about. While I don't believe the show is scripted, the unintended consequences of having a documentary crew following him around really do throw a HUGE variable into the credibility here.

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
So what you're saying is, start a business and hire 3 college kids to follow you around with cameras and a boom mic and doors will open..?

I was thinking the same thing ... now, how to get that Discovery Channel letterhead without getting into trouble...

• Admin

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

I'm saying that the big players in this show already know the documentary is for something big, Discovery, CNBC, something. And that gives them the latitude to take risk, work for free, listen to Glenn, believe in Glenn, etc. I'm mean, Discovery believes in this guy, so should we!

As for 3 college kids following you around and faking a documentary, yes, that would give you a special credibility and people would give you more attention rather than not.

Hope you're feeling better.

I am, thank you.

• Admin

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Another thing that irks me about this show is the existence of the self-imposed deadline to encourage unnatural and artificial drama... as if it was just good coincidental timing to have a BBQ fest while also wanting to start a BBQ.

They do the "deadline" tactic on every real estate flipping show and it bothers the f*ck out of me. OMG, if we don't get this house painted and finished by next week we'll miss our open house, hence ushering in the worldwide apocalypse!

andyhaus44

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
May 17, 2017
St. Charles, MO
I'm saying that the big players in this show already know the documentary is for something big, Discovery, CNBC, something. And that gives them the latitude to take risk, work for free, listen to Glenn, believe in Glenn, etc. I'm mean, Discovery believes in this guy, so should we!

As for 3 college kids following you around and faking a documentary, yes, that would give you a special credibility and people would give you more attention rather than not.

I am, thank you.
Glad to hear that. You're welcome

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
I'm just in it for the lessons. I don't care if it's a full-blown movie along the lines of Scarface. I think the lessons are good, which is why most of us are watching.

I think it's safe to say everyone here already believes in the American Dream.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Personally, I don't think fake and real is the true question here... Obviously to make it into a show, certain unavoidable measures had to be taken. It Is not a blog or a book... It Is a TV show.

That said... Is it chocked full of valuable lessons? Yes

Do I believe that he could start a business from zero and be a millionaire in comparatively short order to the average person? Yes.

Do I enjoy the thought process going in to this endeavor even if it isn't 100% perfectly flawless in it's premise? Yes

I applaud his sacrifice to conduct his experiment. I applaud him putting himself out there and allowing us into his process to ride along and learn from an obviousy successful leader.

Real? Glenn is.
Fun? I am enjoying it.
Valuable to watch? Hell yes.

Last edited:

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Real? The thought process is.
Fun? I am enjoying it.
Valuable to watch? Hell yes.
I agree. I don't watch ANY reality tv. This is the first. I am enjoying the show for what it is. The hustle is real even if the results are contrived.

Tom.V

Tom
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Feb 20, 2012
San Juan

If it works for Saul Goodman...

QDF

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Jan 1, 2014
My thoughts aligned pretty well with yours on the show.

There is great value in it, but the whole challenge of starting with $100, a truck, and a 90 day timeframe is completely unnecessary.

He's not convincing anyone - the people who don't believe the American Dream is still alive are still just going to make excuses, and the people who already believed in it don't care whether he started with $100 or $50k, they just want to see how he builds a million dollar business.

In my opinion, the show didn't start to really get good until probably the 3rd episode. If it was a TV show that just straight up showed the process of a billionaire building a million dollar business from scratch - and they skipped all the bullshit in the beginning and were more realistic with a lot of the things you mentioned - the show would be a lot better. After all, it would still appeal to the same exact audience because of what I mentioned earlier.

That being said, I have a great deal of respect and admiration for Glenn, as I'm sure anyone who watches the show will. Maybe they'll make some changes if there's another season...

Bertram

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 25, 2015
Virginia
So I just got back from a little vacation in Cabo San Lucas and upon my return home, I also returned with a little food poisoning. That hung me up in bed for 2 days and as such, I was able to catch up with this reality TV series that has the big thread here, which also was recommended that I watch.

While I read much of that thread, I did not read ALL of it as it started to deteriorate.

As of now, I’ve watched 4 episodes and really want to write my own thoughts on it here in a separate thread.

First let me preface the following:

1. I fully believe the American Dream is not only alive and well, it is more accessible than EVER before.

2. I fully believe that building a business from $100 cash (and essentially homeless) to a $1M valuation is possible in a short period of time, say 1 or 2 years (perhaps even in 6 mos)… however, the 90 days as posited on this show is just plain bunk and truly demonstrates how FAKE and SCRIPTED this show is. I’ll highlight why below.

3. All of the BUSINESS CONCEPTS and STRATEGIES highlight by Glenn are SPOT-ON… I found myself NODDING and thumbs-upping every single one…

4. Note that Glenn isn't "following his passion" or anything related to it, but purely fitting his business to market demand. He leaves the passion for his employees... something to make you go "hmmmm..."

In that respect, this show definitely has some teachable moments for all of us.

Unfortunately this show reminds me why I avoid reality TV because reality TV is NOT reality. It's 90% fake, 10% real.

What Glenn is doing in this show— the specifics— are completely contrived, scripted, and/or not repeatable due to the DOCUMENTARY FACTOR, which as the show describes in effect as, “We’re doing a documentary following an older man who has been in the corporate workforce for all his life and now wants to start over by starting a business.” In short, this pretense, even in being fake and not entirely true, is enough for Glenn to work magic as he rolls Erie around with his film crew.

His path (specifically “the team” aspects) are completely due to the DOCUMENTARY FACTOR that has given him a certain mystique and credibility when undertaking his journey.

Think about that for a moment…

THE DOCUMENTARY FACTOR.

Not sure how many of you know how a documentary works, but you can’t just throw ANY BYSTANDER on it without having them FIRST sign a ton of legal papers— waivers, indemnification, releases, more — it’s literally a clusterfuck of legal paperwork and this usually happens before the first contact. These people on this show aren’t just random folks, they had to be pre-screened and selected at some point, then approached, interviewed, and then sign legal paperwork.

When people watch reality TV, they seem to forget that there are 2 cameramen (2 large cameras), and a boom mic operator -- the person being followed literally has an entourage the feigns as fame, notoriety, and/or credibility. All of these help Glenn, every step of the way.

To give you an example…

Using @biophase and @AllenCrawley as an example, if a 55 year old guy (who looked somewhat desolate and desperate) walked into their warehouse (Allen and Kenric work together) and this older guy had this “great idea!” to start a restaurant or a brewery, they’d smile and talk to him for 5 minutes and then send him on his way.

However, if Allen and Kenric got an email 30 days earlier from the Discovery Channel saying “We’d like to include you (and in some respects, your business) in a Discovery Documentary where we are following the trials and tribulations of an older American who is trying to start over in his life as an entrepreneur after 40 years in corporate America, would you like to participate???”

They probably would, and minimally, pay serious attention.

Mostly EVERYONE WANTS TO BE FAMOUS, or at least, get the benefits of fame.

And then when the documentary subject arrives at their warehouse, 3 people are tagging along with him -- two camera men and a boom mic operator — this is the mystique, intrigue, and credibility that GLENN carries around with him as he trolls the streets of Erie. Allen and Kenric probably would pay attention, moreso than some random walk-in.

Without the DOCUMENTARY FACTOR that Glenn can leverage, folks like Allen or Kenric (and ANYONE in Erie) would NOT drop (or minimally postpone) their businesses and start working full time for some random stranger with a dream, and not only that, do it WITHOUT ANY PAY, or ANY written agreement! It’s complete BS.

I get “will you invest in my dream” emails every week. I have no choice but to ignore them, or decline them.

However if one of those emails also included a “hook” like having my book featured on the Discovery Channel or giving me exposure, even if just for minutes, you’d think I’d pay attention? You’d think I’d might show up at some shit-hole house and pull moldy carpet for FREE? You bet your a$$.

If someone believes the American dream is dead, I don’t see this show helping, especially if they try to repeat the same type of things without having the benefit of a documentary crew following them around.

Side note: The billionaire, from his voice to his gestures to his willingness to get dirty in the mud reminds me of @SteveO on the forum. I feel like I’m watching him.

That said, here are the specifics that I found most troublesome...

1. Glenn’s journey is mostly benefited by the DOCUMENTARY FACTOR (see above).
    As Glenn wanders around Erie, he is entouraged by 3 people walking around with him: 2 camera men and a boom operator … You don’t think people will give him special attention? More so than some random bum?

2. His flip projects are probably illegal
    Trespassing on private property and stealing tires. OK. I can’t speak for Erie, but I know in Chicago or here in Arizona, you’d probably be arrested after a few days of trolling through abandoned property. Abandoned property still has an owner; a corporation, person, maybe a bank. You can trespass on private (or public) property and take what you want. I own land -- if someone rolls onto my property and mines a two ton quartz rock, they've stolen from me. This is either FAKE, ILLEGAL, or the beneficiary of the DOCUMENTARY FACTOR. None of it is good.

In my own example, I once tried years ago to load up my truck with a pile of large rocks I found in the middle of the undeveloped desert -- the rocks weren't dumped or anything, just natural landscape! Within twenty minutes, I had a state land official kick me off the property to telling me it was illegal and if i returned, I would be arrested.

3. Selling St. Patty’s gear in a private bar?
    Really? Try that. Go ahead and try selling stuff on private property and see how long it takes for the owner (or the bouncer) to KICK YOU OUT. I'm guessing 10 minutes. Again, the DOCUMENTARY FACTOR (see above) allows Glenn to get away with it. I'm sure the owner was OK with it, because well, my bar will be on TV!

4. Selling St. Patty’s gear during a parade.
    Sorry, in most jurisdictions you can’t do this either without a PERMIT or a LICENSE. They can be terribly expensive. Again, I’m guessing the DOCUMENTARY FACTOR once again gave Glenn this privilege, or he did it illegally.

5. Selling a random car on a random street corner, or on private property.
    Again, Glenn seems to get away with a lot of stuff. Here in Arizona, if you do that, typically your car will get towed within a day, either by the city, or by the land owner. But again, I’m sure Glenn benefits from having a DOCUMENTARY behind him, so he can just sell his cars on “his favorite corner.” Additionally, where is the title transfer? Notary?

6. Glenn can find cars for $1000 and flip them days later for 400% profit ...
    Not only once did lightning strike once, but twice and just in days! With 400%+ profits, why not just do that for 3 months?

7. The willingness of business owners willing to share their secrets with a potential competitor.
    Quite possibly the most ridiculous thing yet and the most audacious affect of having a documentary behind you. Imagine someone walking into Allen or Kenric’s warehouse and saying, “Hey, can you tell me how profitable selling dog gear is? Or personal grooming is? I’d like to maybe start something similar!” Ha Ha — you get a quick “thanks, but no thanks”

And yet, Glenn can do it with ease — to get the coffee lady to talk as well as breweries as if he has some special power. Well he does — the power of the DOCUMENTARY and the power of people wanting to be on television.

8. Glenn gets a bank loan to flip a house.
    Wow. Tell me, where can I get a loan with a FAKE NAME, NO JOB, NO ASSETS, NO CREDIT and NO SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER? Sign me up! If he has this special knowledge, then he used "special knowledge" something which he wasn't supposed to do.

9. Glenn gets a spot at the BBQ FEST.
    I’m guessing without the power of the DOCUMENTARY behind him … he would have never gotten a spot. These types for events are typically SOLD OUT months in advance, and also have registrations and applications so only the best are admitted. But Glenn gets a spot and at the last minute, and with no experience. Yea, right.

10. Glenn’s visit to the Hospital ER — it only cost him a $250 co-pay.
    In other words, he has health insurance and not only that, CADILLAC insurance. Since Obamacare has become law, deductibles are extremely high, $3K, $6K, and $9k. As an entrepreneur, health insurance is one of my biggest expenses, and on top of that, it is shitty insurance.

Every visit to the ER for myself since costs minimally $1,500 or more, depending on tests and treatment.

Glenn, compliments of his Cadillac Health Insurance plan (which is not disclosed in his cost structure) gets out of it with a mere $250 … again, where do I sign up for that?

11. What billionaire wouldn’t know that it would take months to get the proper licenses to brew beer?
    He has access to the internet and I refuse to believe he is that obtuse. No, this was just a pre-set SCRIPT designed to set us up for the strategy of THE PIVOT.

This entire show is kabuki theater -- the bonus of the theater is the drapes which are real ... Glenn's business advice.

And in my opinion, this "reality show" is NOT showing the average downtrodden American how to truly escape the rat race -- it might actually be proving the opposite. Can you imagine dozens of random people showing up in bars to sell stuff? Every street corner having cars for sale? Every parade filled with vendors? There are reasons why this stuff needs permits and/or permissions from private or public owners.

As an entrepreneur who started off in similar straits just as the fake Glenn on this show, it just isn't realistic. And it's probably going to give a lot of false hope and false expectations to those folks who are still in the "try" mentality of entrepreneurship.

Yes, you can flip cars, sell scrap, work odds jobs, and hustle hard to set yourself off on the right foot and build from there... however I'm not buying any of the "TEAM" aspects of this show. None of it. Period. It merely exists due to the presence and pretense of the documentary ... fame, noteriety, free business PR, whatever...

I'll leave with this quote from @JAJT in the original thread...

Moral of the story - don't come for the "reality" part of reality shows. They are entertainment first and occasionally you might learn a thing or two along the way.

I believe this to be the case with Undercover Billionaire -- tune in for the advice, the splendor of the drapes, ignore the theater.
I hope you're feeling better MJ.
I was so invested in the story line that the impact of the film crew and the aura of a documentary production never came to mind.
The documentary film aura cuts both ways. How many times have you met an action faker with their videographer in tow and said I'm not getting involved?
I wonder how many dozens turned them down.
Imagine the interior designer tearing down that old sheet rock with no one else showing up to work but the camera crew, and starting to realize she missed the clues and needs to bail on Discovery Channel.
The viewers will never see just how many turned them away.

Last edited:

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
I mean there were certain things I was skeptical about... like him getting those tires.. i mean you're grabbing tires off private property with a film crew? But whatever. I like it for the same reason I might like an interview with Elon Musk.. it's a chance to witness the thinking and gleam some of their business perspective.

All reality shows have to be entertaining.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I don't know how this will end, but they will probably do this...

They launch and they profit $300/day for a week. Extrapolate to $109,200/year profit. Someone gives them valuation of 10X, Boom, $1M business!

C.Hamp

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 30, 2019
Illinois
I hadn't heard of this show before reading this thread. And "reality" shows annoy me the most. But this discussion has piqued my curiosity.
Maybe I'll marathon it when it's done.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
So my positives since my take was mostly negative...
  1. Love the idea of BBQ / Brew while incorporating local breweries, especially in a small industrial town like Erie, and then leveraging their capital to produce their own brew. Really good value skew that encourages cross-collab.
  2. Flipping is a great hustle to building capital for those with no cash, even if you don't want to trespass on private property.
  3. The power of the internet and connecting buyers/sellers is incredibly powerful for folks with little capital
  4. Stressing the importance of taking care of yourself FIRST, you know, SURVIVAL. You can't build a business living in your car while starving. For most, this means odds jobs, or getting a job.
  5. Following passion? No, follow demand or need. Let employees follow passion.
  6. Opportunity is everywhere, even in an area that is struggling.
  7. Capital preservation, you don't see Glenn buying anything other than what supports his survival or business.
  8. All in all, the business advice, especially the focus on value and need, and where the dollars are.

They launch and they profit $300/day for a week. Extrapolate to $109,200/year profit. Someone gives them valuation of 10X, Boom, $1M business!

Of course they will, and it will occur on the 90th day... just like, OMG, we finished this house flip just hours before our open house. And don't forget the house flip which you know they will sell just a day before the loan payment is due, and some other expense at deadline (their lease, home rent, something) ... and it will make oodles of money, despite the depressed market.

Also don't forget that they will totally IGNORE home closing costs, title fees, etc. and the time for loans to process, which is by standard, at least 30 days. Just like the cars where there was no title or notary, for the house I expect no title search, no buyer loan process, nothing; just a handshake and voila, "Wow, we just sold this house and made $40K!"

God I hate "reality" TV.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
My rating for Underdog Brewery...

Weakness is control (brewery dependence) and time, slightly moderate for scale (replication).

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
What show is this? Man, I must be out of the loop.

:hilarious:

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Maybe I'll just take a documentary crew around with me now. Seems like the best route to wealth

Don't forget the stack of legal papers with the CNBC logo stating that you were specifically selected to be featured on a national broadcast for 8 weeks. Also make sure to have all your "team members" precontacted to receive their authorization and releases prior to pitching them (with your film crew in tow) on your dream idea.

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
My rating for Underdog Brewery...

Weakness is control (brewery dependence) and time, slightly moderate for scale (replication).

View attachment 26998
He might even be able to scale it and turn it into a chain with the publicity it got. He probably won't be able to use local goods, but hell.. it may be scalable.

You could only do that in Time Square with all the tourists. Actual New Yorkers would be like "you have 4 seconds to get that camera out of my face."

New Yorkers are notoriously non-reactant to celebrities.

We got our own s--- goin on.

Last edited:

steelandchrome

Author of The Retail Leader Book.
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Nov 6, 2016
Goodyear Az
So you are saying I shouldn't show up and ask Kenric and Allen to coach me for free and help me start an ecom business? I am local and ready to learn!!! ;)

Anyways,
I watched the whole thing up to now and agree on the documentary factor and also caught the BS about titles, notary, bank loan, expecting to close and fund a flip in the timeline, etc.. I figured it was worth it for the lessons but to take all with a grain of salt.

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
So my positives since my take was mostly negative...
  1. Love the idea of BBQ / Brew while incorporating local breweries, especially in a small industrial town like Erie, and then leveraging their capital to produce their own brew. Really good value skew that encourages cross-collab.
  2. Flipping is a great hustle to building capital for those with no cash, even if you don't want to trespass on private property.
  3. The power of the internet and connecting buyers/sellers is incredibly powerful for folks with little capital
  4. Stressing the importance of taking care of yourself FIRST, you know, SURVIVAL. You can't build a business living in your car while starving. For most, this means odds jobs, or getting a job.
  5. Following passion? No, follow demand or need. Let employees follow passion.
  6. Opportunity is everywhere, even in an area that is struggling.
  7. Capital preservation, you don't see Glenn buying anything other than what supports his survival or business.
  8. All in all, the business advice, especially the focus on value and need, and where the dollars are.

Of course they will, and it will occur on the 90th day... just like, OMG, we finished this house flip just hours before our open house. And don't forget the house flip which you know they will sell just a day before the loan payment is due, and some other expense at deadline (their lease, home rent, something) ... and it will make oodles of money, despite the depressed market.

Also don't forget that they will totally IGNORE home closing costs, title fees, etc. and the time for loans to process, which is by standard, at least 30 days. Just like the cars where there was no title or notary, for the house I expect no title search, no buyer loan process, nothing; just a handshake and voila, "Wow, we just sold this house and made $40K!"

God I hate "reality" TV.

What an opportunity.

You want celebrity status and to increase your book sales by 10 times MJ?

Here you go.

Do a show. It could be one of the crowning achievements of your entire lifetime.

I'm serious.

The stage awaits. Very few people could fill this role. You are among the very best of the very few.

Do it. Next stop - presidency? Could happen. This thing could take on a life of its own...

Bertram

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 25, 2015
Virginia
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.