The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Tired of Trading Time For Money

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

HealthyArtBoy

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Jan 16, 2023
Hello All,

So I am currently engaged in my current Fastlane strategy (which I will touch on in a different post). To get straight to the point, I am looking for a way to at the very least get much better pay for my time while I work on my business. Between taking care of my physical health and working on my business and having a part time job it feels like I have more than a full-time job already so the thought of going back to a full time job gives me crazy anxiety, but alas I need money to both survive and to start the business.

So my question to you all is: What skills do you suggest I be developing in order to start bringing in some decent cash where I'm not slaving away at a 9 to 5?? I've been hearing people talk about Amazon FBA, copywriting, coding,

My current skills are: Guitar, Music Production, Dance,( a bit of video editing but still novice here), but I've had a rough time turning these into $$.

Any advice would be much appreciated <3

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
1) I'd start by looking at your fledgling business. Can you scale that or divorce your time from your revenue somehow? Are you doing things you shouldn't in your business (busy work rather than work that moves you in the right direction)?

How are you getting new sales for your business? Can you improve that?

Are you retaining customers? Can you improve that?

Can you divorce your time from your money with your business before you add yet another project on your plate?

2) What skills do you need for your business? Can businesses or people pay you to provide that as a service to their business?

3) If you're looking for something on the side of your business on the side...

Given you know music production and a bit of video editing, my first suggestion is to look at creating videos for businesses.

Sure, you're initially trading time for money, but I'd argue you'll learn about selling your service, get good at a skill, and you'd learn loads just by rubbing shoulders with business owners.

You can then figure out how to scale.

You may want to check out the recent freelance threads to see the argument in the forum whether this is a good start or not. It can suit many who don't have money or skills yet.

Curious what other forum members think and suggest.

@Kak, @Antifragile, @Lex DeVille, @Fox, @BigRomeDawg, @MJ DeMarco, @BizyDad, @Simon Angel @mikecarlooch @Black_Dragon43

Luke23

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Jan 29, 2023
Hello All,

So I am currently engaged in my current Fastlane strategy (which I will touch on in a different post). To get straight to the point, I am looking for a way to at the very least get much better pay for my time while I work on my business. Between taking care of my physical health and working on my business and having a part time job it feels like I have more than a full-time job already so the thought of going back to a full time job gives me crazy anxiety, but alas I need money to both survive and to start the business.

So my question to you all is: What skills do you suggest I be developing in order to start bringing in some decent cash where I'm not slaving away at a 9 to 5?? I've been hearing people talk about Amazon FBA, copywriting, coding,

My current skills are: Guitar, Music Production, Dance,( a bit of video editing but still novice here), but I've had a rough time turning these into $$.

Well depending on how much you are making an hour with your current part time job, it may or may not make sense to start a new side hustle. It may distract you away from your business.

Guitar lessons you can make decent money.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
1. just get started. now.
2. turn $1 into $2
3. report back

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
Hello All,

A part time job should be a real part time job.

Key thing is reliability in income not high pay per hour.

If you need to develop a skill to get a part time job, whose goal is eventually bring in cash to fuel your main business which is not making money now..it is a route that is too long.

Go to your local job portal and check anything that is part time in nature.

HealthyArtBoy

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Jan 16, 2023
1) I'd start by looking at your fledgling business. Can you scale that or divorce your time from your revenue somehow? Are you doing things you shouldn't in your business (busy work rather than work that moves you in the right direction)?

How are you getting new sales for your business? Can you improve that?

Are you retaining customers? Can you improve that?

Can you divorce your time from your money with your business before you add yet another project on your plate?

2) What skills do you need for your business? Can businesses or people pay you to provide that as a service to their business?

3) If you're looking for something on the side of your business on the side...

Given you know music production and a bit of video editing, my first suggestion is to look at creating videos for businesses.

Sure, you're initially trading time for money, but I'd argue you'll learn about selling your service, get good at a skill, and you'd learn loads just by rubbing shoulders with business owners.

You can then figure out how to scale.

You may want to check out the recent freelance threads to see the argument in the forum whether this is a good start or not. It can suit many who don't have money or skills yet.

Curious what other forum members think and suggest.

@Kak, @Antifragile, @Lex DeVille, @Fox, @BigRomeDawg, @MJ DeMarco, @BizyDad, @Simon Angel @mikecarlooch
Sorry I didn’t clarify. My business is still in the fetus stage no sales or brand. Im currently developing the product. looking for something that can add to my value and start paying me as I work to bring the idea to reality. Something that is more lucrative (time/money wise) than a 9-5.

#2 is a good question to think about. Thank you! As for 3, getting started creating for businesses, I’ve always had a hard time getting gigs, and work as a freelance anything. I’m not very knowledgeable on marketing myself or how to get businesses to want my service, so any advice here would be super appreciated

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
The common theme here is not being able to make sales.

Gun to your head, if you had to make a sale of anything this week then what would it be?

Yup...

OP has skills and wants to learn new skills because others say those skills might turn a quick profit.

Learn to sell the skills you've got. That's probably the best answer for anyone starting.

The skill isn't the problem. The systems for selling any skill are the problem.

Regardless of the skill, OP has to figure out the how part.

• How can I sell guitar or music?
  • Who might need guitar or music services immediately or in the very near future?
  • Where can I find my first customer?
  • How can I reach more of those people?
  • How can I reach more of those people faster and with less work?
  • How can someone else reach more of those people faster and with less work for me?
  • Now that I've built this thing, how can I systematize my entire process so someone else understands it easily?
  • Who might be interested in replicating my success with this?
  • Where can I find my first customer?
  • How can I reach more of those people?
  • How can I reach more of those people faster and with less work?
  • How can someone else reach more of those people faster and with less work for me?
  • Now that I've built this thing...

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Apr 24, 2016
Hello All,

If I were you, I would do this:
  1. Make a list of your favorite guitar/music production channels (which I assume you're following on YouTube)

2. Analyze how their videos are edited. Take note of who has the most subscribers/views, what their editing style is, and why it works

3. Reverse-engineer said winning style until you can edit videos in that same way
    ***Most of the time it's fairly simple, considering content creators need to pump out videos on the regular AND it has to be sustainable.

4. Find other channels in this niche that are fairly established (enough to be able to pay you) but with poorer editing

5. Check out their videos and take note of how you can improve their editing to match the successful ones

6. Download one of their videos and apply your newly-learned editing style

7. Find their business or personal email
    ***Install the chrome extensions Snov.io or Hunter, or check LinkedIn if you're having trouble finding them

8. Email and connect with them by leveraging your shared passion. Tell them you've been watching them for ages and that you're 100% sure you can help them go more viral with changes to their editing, and attach the video you edited

NOTE: You can do this for FREE for the first few videos just to show them the impact of your editing. Save every single comment like "Hey, this new editor is pretty sick!" and show it to them. Now you can negotiate payment.

9. Rinse & repeat with other channels until you get work

10. Work with the content creators to track results/ask for the data for every video you edit

11. Compile proof of the value you generated into a portfolio and negotiate more $$$

12. Reach out to even bigger channels

Last edited:

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Learn to sell the skills you've got. That's probably the best answer for anyone starting.

The skill isn't the problem. The systems for selling any skill are the problem.
People starting out should print this out and remind themselves daily.

It's not about acquiring more "skills". It's about helping people with them, and getting paid (aka making sales).

So if anything, sales and marketing are essential skills to get a business going, since you need sales to be in business, or freelancing.

That's why I suggested the video editing. It's helping others businesses make sales via video/content marketing. It could help your own business.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
If I were you, I would do this:
  1. Make a list of your favorite guitar/music production channels (which I assume you're following on YouTube)

2. Analyze how their videos are edited. Take note of who has the most subscribers/views, what their editing style is, and why it works

3. Reverse-engineer said winning style until you can edit videos in that same way
    ***Most of the time it's fairly simple, considering content creators need to pump out videos on the regular AND it has to be sustainable.

4. Find other channels in this niche that are fairly established (enough to be able to pay you) but with poorer editing

5. Check out their videos and take note of how you can improve their editing to match the successful ones

6. Download one of their videos and apply your newly-learned editing style

7. Find their business or personal email
    ***Install the chrome extensions Snov.io or Hunter, or check LinkedIn if you're having trouble finding them

8. Email and connect with them by leveraging your shared passion. Tell them you've been watching them for ages and that you're 100% sure you can help them go more viral with changes to their editing, and attach the video you edited

NOTE: You can do this for FREE for the first few videos just to show them the impact of your editing. Save every single comment like "Hey, this new editor is pretty sick!" and show it to them. Now you can negotiate payment.

9. Rinse & repeat with other channels until you get work

10. Work with the content creators to track results/ask for the data for every video you edit

11. Compile proof of the value you generated into a portfolio and negotiate more $$$

12. Reach out to even bigger channels
Great step-by-step plan.

I love how this combines @HealthyArtBoy 's current skills of guitar AND video editing.

Stack your skills on top of each other to make your "high ground".

Two related radio interviews I did years ago:

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Apr 24, 2016
Great step-by-step plan.

I love how this combines @HealthyArtBoy 's current skills of guitar AND video editing.

Thanks, Andy.

I did what a fellow forum member did for me years ago. Most come here expecting concrete steps. And I think that's the right approach — to have a step-by-step plan to fall back on whenever you hit a roadblock.

It's one thing to venture into No Man's Land and stumble into problems. The overwhelm can be too much for some. People get impatient, run out of money, have responsibilities, etc.

However, when you have a list of things to do and a problem arises, you know you just have to deal with that problem and then you're right back on track.

HealthyArtBoy

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Jan 16, 2023

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Apr 24, 2016
Honestly almost teared up from reading your responses. I truly do appreciate you guys for taking the time to give me such great advice. I will apply your ideas and report back here with the results. Thank you!
@Andy Black @Simon Angel @Lex DeVille
@Kevin88660 @ZCP @Luke23

You're welcome and good luck!

And remember to report both the good and the bad. Sharing my failures is when I've actually had the most success as people offered me very actionable advice. When you only share your wins, all you get is a "good job, keep it up!"

bexor

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Mar 14, 2022
Great step-by-step plan.

Great step-by-step plan.

Hello Andy,
Sometime ago you had shared a YouTube video, in which they explained how to create video ads using stock footage, to sell to local businesses via cold email.
I've lost it,maybe you remember it
Thanks in advance!

P.s.
Thanks for all the great content you share for free in the forum!

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Hello Andy,
Sometime ago you had shared a YouTube video, in which they explained how to create video ads using stock footage, to sell to local businesses via cold email.
I've lost it,maybe you remember it
Thanks in advance!

P.s.
Thanks for all the great content you share for free in the forum!
I'm wracking my brains but don't remember that video.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ

HealthyArtBoy

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Jan 16, 2023
I got tagged to comment on this post, and kind of forgot about it.

Enough time has passed that I thought I'd ask, how's it going so far?
Means a lot that you decided to check in with me! Thank you for that.

So I contemplated all the advice mainly that of @Andy Black @Simon Angel @ZCP. And I've been incorporating it with a few differences. Instead of focusing on selling my weakest skill (video editing) I've been selling my strongest one (music production and music teaching).

So far I've reached out to 4 influencers, edited their videos with my original music in the background and some with different video cuts to demonstrate I can edit videos as well. Sent the attachment to their business emails with a message of how much I love their work and would love to add value to their cause by helping them with music production as an intern.

So far no response from any of the influencers. Currently getting ready to reach out to a few more.

On the teaching side of things, I'm currently in the negotiating phase of acquiring a new (higher paying) piano student (fingers crossed!).

in summary: nothing major has happened as of yet, but action is being taken so progress is still being made!

please let me know if you guys have any other ideas of what I should be doing to get more clientele. Is it just as simple as reaching out and asking as many people as humanely possible? If so how can I do that more efficiently, improve probability of success etc.?

Last edited:

BigRomeDawg

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
223%
Jan 22, 2014
Canada/USA

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore

How about part-time cardio/zumba instructor at your local community?

HealthyArtBoy

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Jan 16, 2023
@HealthyArtBoy schedule a call with me through my signature link

We're doing a ton of video work, I can either bring you in on some or I can just break down my sales process for you to help get you going
Just Scheduled a call with you on Feb 27th @ 2pm. Looking forward to it and thank you so much!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.