The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

GOLD! Think big and then think bigger than that.

MoreValue

Bronze Contributor
Sep 9, 2018
This sounds like excuses to a problem or business that doesn’t exist.

Either way it is nonsense for two other reasons. Control and Ownership are independent of each other. Zuckerberg only owns 21-22% of FB but he is still very much in control.

Secondly, would you rather have 100% of a $1,000,000 company or 20% of a $20,000,000 or $100,000,000 company?
I was just sitting in my car today and thinking back to this post. Control and Ownership are directly tied together. Not independent. The reason Zuckerburg has control is because is the largest stake holder (ownership) in Facebook. But since his ownership is 21-22%, he is highly obligated to all other shareholders. This relationship is clear when you see it from the 51%-49% split.

I work for a early stage VC company here in Germany and we usually receive financial forecasts which have founder's salary included. However those salaries are of course low at first (1.5 - 3k €/month). We had one case where someone wanted to match their current salary as a freelance consultant in order to work on the project full-time, which came out to be almost 100k/year, which we found was way to high for a brand new startup. So salary can matter, but if you err on the lower side than I don't think it would be a problem most of the time. Just my 2 cents. Your mileage may vary.
Thanks for perspective, it is helpful.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

MTEE1985

Gold Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jun 12, 2018
Arizona
I was just sitting in my car today and thinking back to this post. Control and Ownership are directly tied together. Not independent. The reason Zuckerburg has control is because is the largest stake holder (ownership) in Facebook. But since his ownership is 21-22%, he is highly obligated to all other shareholders. This relationship is clear when you see it from the 51%-49% split.
Being the majority shareholder is a far cry from holding the majority of the shares. His 21% ownership means the other 79% could vote against him. He is in control because of his stake in Class B shares which give him a voting majority. Not an ownership majority.

This article may help explain it. The point being, if you are seeking funding, many of the VCs are looking to make money, not control your company. You can structure the shares how you want to retain control regardless of how much equity you may give up.

AppMan

New Contributor
May 25, 2019
https://www.texascentral.com/about/

This got me going today (my poor wife ;)) I think it’s interesting.

The facts are...
-The project will cost upwards of $15 billion.
-It is a private Texas based company and it has never built a high speed railroad before.
-They have the finances to complete the project.
-The project is underway and 100 percent approved on the regulatory side of things.
-There is zero chance that any of these guys put up the 15 billion.

So how are they involved in such a large scale entrepreneurship endeavor?

Like I’ve said before, they became the expert. They traveled around the world and talked with the entities that build, run and maintain high speed rails. They learned everything there was to know about them and brought it to Texas where they had an answer to every question an investor might of had. They raised enough money to finance a 15 billion dollar railroad. They are building a wild dream basically from a level competence and the leadership to surround themselves with the right people.

Are you on the millionaire fastlane? Or are you, as @GPM put so eloquently, on “The thousandaire fastlane! Make as much as a corporate job with 5x the stress and 100% of the risk!”

This should be a HUGE lesson in thinking big. These guys did and they put their pants on one leg at a time just like you. No one is born an expert at anything. Start thinking BIG!
I think simplifying this like this make more damage than benefit to mentality of people. I am sure this company either build good experience and reputation over the time also they might built some relationships to be able to get that contract. It does have the experience to match what is there but sure they should have a lot of experience in the related fields to be able to complete this project.
You are showing it as it was just someone gone around the world learned then come back put their bid and Bingo.

OP
OP
Kak

Kak

Capitalist Swine
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jan 23, 2011
I think simplifying this like this make more damage than benefit to mentality of people. I am sure this company either build good experience and reputation over the time also they might built some relationships to be able to get that contract. It does have the experience to match what is there but sure they should have a lot of experience in the related fields to be able to complete this project.
You are showing it as it was just someone gone around the world learned then come back put their bid and Bingo.
Why should we care what you “think?” Your assumption that any of this could do more “damage than benefit” is based on what exactly?

I said they became the expert. They literally did make those connections you are talking about and built legitimately valuable experience. They built what they needed from nothing. That is fact.

This entire thread is literally devoted to competency and becoming the actual person best suited to a project. Maybe you should read a bit more before you jump to conclusions and start slinging random accusations.

Speaking of competency, literacy is a foundation.

Last edited:

guy93777

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jun 5, 2019
This entire thread is literally devoted to competency and becoming the actual person best suited to a project.
competency is managing people's perception of you as well. a lot of gurus are just guys with great perception management skills. i won't tell the names. what are politicians anyway ?
you vote for a guy because you think he is the solution for the country. this is just a perception, not a fact until proven with results.
then the guy says " good bye " 4 years latter and everybody forgets about the promises he made . this is cleverness at work. this is perception management at work
same thing with dating, buying. whatever.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe to become an INSIDER.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom