The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Gotta Think Bigger... Back To The Drawing Board?

SeanBissell

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Sep 7, 2012
Hey everyone,

Hope you're doing great.

My name is Sean Bissell, and I'm a... FastlaneMillionaholic?

Well not really, even if that was a real thing :)

But according to Amazon Kindle I'm 54% through the book and I wanted to step in here and get started before my "drive" possibly wears off.

I'm not exactly new to "building a business" and at the same time, this book is opening my eyes to the fact that I should probably be thinking a bit bigger than I am currently.

Right now my most successful business venture is in a pretty small market.

We've been in business for just over 2 years, and it's bringing in a little more than 100k a year revenue.

About 40% of that is profit.

So far, we've engineered it where it's pretty darn hands off. I can spend just a few hours a week (or less) doing anything with it, and it just chugs along, and hopefully it keeps on doing that and only gets better, makes more money, and gets more hands-off. (I have one business partner, and 1 part time contract employee.)

But we're pretty maxed out right now in getting new customers "passively" through advertisements.

It seems if we want more customers, the law of diminishing returns is gonna kick in, and the extra revenue may not be worth it.

We're working on doing a monthly membership thing, and at the same time, that's a ton more work than we were expecting, and I'm not 100% convinced it's worth the effort based on the "sell for a big lump sum" idea.

Soooo, I'm trying to mentally switch gears to get into a bigger market, and "serve millions" instead of "tens of thousands."

That somehow is breaking my brain, because it seems the costs to getting into that type of market are much higher, and I'm not exactly sure what the heck to do honestly. And starting something new is sorta intimidating.

Product creation seems scary due to the high costs, I don't like physical location type stuff due to start up costs either. Internet is cool, and I like info products. But I can't seem to "think big" enough with that type of market yet.

Gotta get my brain conditioned better.

Gotta finish the book :)

Gotta get moving.

I'm 30 years young, and this book is really making me feel OOLLLDDD!

Some random stuff about me (if it even matters.)

I'm a big "nutrition junkie" and somehow can spend *way* too much time learning/debating nutritional topics. And I really enjoy cooking and making my own recipes. I also enjoy hitting the gym.

Photography and making videos are also something I really enjoy, but just for fun at this point, as those don't seem to be very "leverage-able" skills.

Here's my YouTube channel if you're interested in spying on me :) SeanBissell's channel - YouTube

So that's my official introduction.

Hope I can offer some advice, and inspiration, and hopefully get some from you guys as well :)

Happy Tuesday!
-Sean

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
I only read the first few sentences but something jumped out to me.

You are 2 years in and making approx 40K a year. That is not too far off where I was with my business at 2 years. Now 3 years later and it should end up this year at over a mil. that is with zero advertising. zero pay per clicks nothing but posting on forums and offering free samples on fb.

You SURE you are filled up without doing advertising?

SeanBissell

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Sep 7, 2012
Patrick,

Thanks for the quick response, much appreciated :)

I'm not sure that we're at our "growth potential." At the same time, we're very dependent on advertising.

If we stop advertising, we stop sales. Almost instantly.

This is basically a very "direct marketing" style set up right now. It doesn't need to be, and at the same time, that's how we're essentially getting our traffic, and sales.

Because of the size of the market, there's not a *huge* amount of areas to expand, and there's not a real "distribution hub" or anything.

Maybe I'm not seeing something, or thinking clearly about the issue though. That's a total possibility.
-Sean

SeanBissell

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Sep 7, 2012
And by the way, awesome job on the revenue growth, especially with no advertising, that is *very* cool! :)
-Sean

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
What sort of business is it? No need for details, just what sort of industry.

To give you an idea my company is in an industry with approx 300 total companies.

It is sometimes so surprising how small a niche can be and yet there is still room for quite a few companies to all make some nice money.

My company is in a small niche in the health supplements industry.

SeanBissell

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Sep 7, 2012
Whoops! I just realized I totally posted this in the wrong area. Oh well :)

But Patrick, it's a subsection of gardening/agriculture actually. And it's an info product.

And awesome that you're in the supplements industry. I'm a bit of a supplement junkie myself :)

Probably too much of one really :)
-Sean

SeanBissell

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Sep 7, 2012
I should add, that we tried to sell physical products, and sold quite a few at $600+ orders, but they were difficult to ship and not very profitable. Maybe $100 a unit. Not worth the hassle.

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
Nice to meet you, Sean!

It sounds like you have a great foundation for the Fastlane. It will be interesting to see where you take it from here, and I wonder if you'll get any more insight from the last half of the book. For me, that was the real turning point, because it discussed fastlane criteria in-depth. I saw clearly where my previous ventures didn't exactly work, so now I'm onto something I might not have pursued otherwise.

(BTW, I love that percentage feature of the Kindle. In fact, I pretty much love everything about the Kindle. Never thought I'd go electronic, but here I am.)

SeanBissell

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Sep 7, 2012
ChickenHawk,

Thanks for the encouragement :)

I'm powering through the book, and yea, Kindle = awesome :)

I don't have the actual device, I just use my phone and cloud reader though :)

Happy Wednesday!
-Sean

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!