The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
About Texas Central

This got me going today (my poor wife ;)) I think it’s interesting.

The facts are...
-The project will cost upwards of $15 billion.
-It is a private Texas based company and it has never built a high speed railroad before.
-They have the finances to complete the project.
-The project is underway and 100 percent approved on the regulatory side of things.
-There is zero chance that any of these guys put up the 15 billion.

So how are they involved in such a large scale entrepreneurship endeavor?

Like I’ve said before, they became the expert. They traveled around the world and talked with the entities that build, run and maintain high speed rails. They learned everything there was to know about them and brought it to Texas where they had an answer to every question an investor might of had. They raised enough money to finance a 15 billion dollar railroad. They are building a wild dream basically from a level competence and the leadership to surround themselves with the right people.

Are you on the millionaire fastlane ? Or are you, as @GPM put so eloquently, on “The thousandaire fastlane! Make as much as a corporate job with 5x the stress and 100% of the risk!”

This should be a HUGE lesson in thinking big. These guys did and they put their pants on one leg at a time just like you. No one is born an expert at anything. Start thinking BIG!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Envious

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Sep 26, 2017
London
https://www.texascentral.com/about/

This got me going today (my poor wife ;)) I think it’s interesting.

The facts are...
-The project will cost upwards of $15 billion.
-It is a private Texas based company and it has never built a high speed railroad before.
-They have the finances to complete the project.
-The project is underway and 100 percent approved on the regulatory side of things.
-There is zero chance that any of these guys put up the 15 billion.

So how are they involved in such a large scale entrepreneurship endeavor?

Like I’ve said before, they became the expert. They traveled around the world and talked with the entities that build, run and maintain high speed rails. They learned everything there was to know about them and brought it to Texas where they had an answer to every question an investor might of had. They raised enough money to finance a 15 billion dollar railroad. They are building a wild dream basically from nothing much more a level of competence and the leadership to surround themselves with the right people.

This should be a HUGE lesson in thinking big. These guys did and they put their pants on one leg at a time just like you. No one is born an expert at anything. Start thinking BIG!
I agree that thinking big is essential and it’s something most of us overlook.

But their CEO was the Vice President of a global engineering company and their president has 25 years experience as an executive.

It’s important to not underestimate their experience and connections they would have obtained over the years.

But it shows what it possible once people believe in you.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
But their CEO was the Vice President of a global engineering company and their president has 25 years experience as an executive.

Still not a railroad tycoon or a CEO for all of those 25 years. So what? The guy has leadership experience, you can build that too.

I’m not underestimating anyone. I’m applauding their ambition. I didn’t call this easy. This was probably 10 years of hard work behind the scenes before they even went public with their plans.

It’s important to not underestimate their experience and connections they would have obtained over the years.

You’re right, you need tons of experience to do anything worth a shit. Back to Amazon so I can upload my toilet paper holders to FBA. Maybe I’ll make 60k this year if my customers give me good reviews.

Last edited:

Dylan in Africa

Worldwide Educator
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Aug 25, 2017
Planet Earth

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
@Kak
From your posts I always thought that you think BIG, that in order to do something remarkable you need to think even BIGGER than what is wildly accepted.

Thanks for reminding me that

He does. When I started reading this post I literally thought it might be one of his businesses.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada

This just plain old hurts my head. "But". One of the worst words in the English language.

Let's paint 2 pictures. Mr. CEO and VP enjoyed their jobs. They spent 25 years working their way up the corporate ladder to eventually reach their coveted positions. They were mighty impressed with how their lives had turned out and continued to pat themselves on the back, all the while collecting their million dollar salaries, and retiring with their multi-million dollar retirement package. Nice work fellows. Great work, and I am sure you led excellent lives.

Picture #2. Mr. CEO and VP were mighty pleased with themselves. After working for 25 years and making it to the top of the corporate ladder, they decided that they needed to think bigger. Running a global engineering company and working as an executive no longer seemed like it was as large of a goal as it once was. Time to think bigger. Utilizing the experience that they had gained in the corporate world, and leveraging their contacts to their full potential, they started to look global. They got out of their comfort zone and interfaced with the best and brightest of the world, and came up with a plan to raise 15 billion dollars on a mega-rail project.

Fast forward 7 years. The project is a roaring success. Not one to sit on their asses, Mr. CEO and VP are taking the experience gained on this project, as well as the massive contact list of experts and investors, and blowing this up into another project, this one with a raised investment of 45 billion dollars.

One life sets up a single family for perhaps a generation or two of comfortable living, with essentially a "9-5" job. The other life sets up generational change which creates family empires and dynasty's which will have the potential to impact millions far into the future.

The choice is no ones but yours.

Envious

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Sep 26, 2017
London
This just plain old hurts my head. "But". One of the worst words in the English language.

Let's paint 2 pictures. Mr. CEO and VP enjoyed their jobs. They spent 25 years working their way up the corporate ladder to eventually reach their coveted positions. They were mighty impressed with how their lives had turned out and continued to pat themselves on the back, all the while collecting their million dollar salaries, and retiring with their multi-million dollar retirement package. Nice work fellows. Great work, and I am sure you led excellent lives.

Picture #2. Mr. CEO and VP were mighty pleased with themselves. After working for 25 years and making it to the top of the corporate ladder, they decided that they needed to think bigger. Running a global engineering company and working as an executive no longer seemed like it was as large of a goal as it once was. Time to think bigger. Utilizing the experience that they had gained in the corporate world, and leveraging their contacts to their full potential, they started to look global. They got out of their comfort zone and interfaced with the best and brightest of the world, and came up with a plan to raise 15 billion dollars on a mega-rail project.

Fast forward 7 years. The project is a roaring success. Not one to sit on their asses, Mr. CEO and VP are taking the experience gained on this project, as well as the massive contact list of experts and investors, and blowing this up into another project, this one with a raised investment of 45 billion dollars.

One life sets up a single family for perhaps a generation or two of comfortable living, with essentially a "9-5" job. The other life sets up generational change which creates family empires and dynasty's which will have the potential to impact millions far into the future.

The choice is no ones but yours.

Spot on. You’ve explained that in a way that has made me look at this completely different.

Perhaps I was projecting my own lack of abilities/experience onto them as I haven’t had much success yet.

Thanks!

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Perhaps I was projecting my own lack of abilities/experience onto them as I haven’t had much success yet.

Your opinions on this don’t matter. The facts about the company building this railroad are the same no matter what you or anyone says about them. There are only two options here: Take it as inspiration or find a way to make an excuse about why it isn’t inspiring to poor you and build the walls higher.

You are responsible for your “lack”. Do something about it or continue “lacking.”

Last edited:

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Your opinions on this don’t matter. The facts about the company building this railroad are the same no matter what you or anyone anyone says about them. There are only two options here: Take it as inspiration or find a way to make an excuse about why it isn’t inspiring to poor you and build the walls higher.

You are responsible for your “lack”. Do something about it or continue “lacking.”

When I worked for Walmart corporate, they forced us to take the "but" thinking out of our vocabulary.

What inevitably follows the "but" is a reason why something can't happen.

"But they had an edge..."
"But it snowed last week and that's why sales are down"
"But I don't have the capital"
"But I work full time"
"But he was born into money"
"But I've never done that before"
"But they've been doing this for 20 years"
"But they have first market movers advantage"
"But that would be a lot of work"
"But I am not sure how to do that"
"But they got lucky"

What if the founder of Walmart had said "I want to do this but KMart is already doing it..." because they were.

TommyZ

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Jun 4, 2017
Melbourne
Your opinions on this don’t matter. The facts about the company building this railroad are the same no matter what you or anyone anyone says about them. There are only two options here: Take it as inspiration or find a way to make an excuse about why it isn’t inspiring to poor you and build the walls higher.

Now that
Is awesome

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
What if the founder of Walmart had said "I want to do this but KMart is already doing it..." because they were.

Love this sentence. And the last three words are so powerful. I can hear the organ music as they are stated. Bam. Hits em right between the eyes.

Now THAT is writing at its highest level! The left hook you don't see coming, and it knocks you out!

THIS is one that I'm printing out and on the wall it goes!

Sagemoney

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
448%
Mar 12, 2018
Michigan
When I worked for Walmart corporate, they forced us to take the "but" thinking out of our vocabulary.

What inevitably follows the "but" is a reason why something can't happen.

"But they had an edge..."
"But it snowed last week and that's why sales are down"
"But I don't have the capital"
"But I work full time"
"But he was born into money"
"But I've never done that before"
"But they've been doing this for 20 years"
"But they have first market movers advantage"
"But that would be a lot of work"
"But I am not sure how to do that"
"But they got lucky"

Your opinions on this don’t matter. The facts about the company building this railroad are the same no matter what you or anyone says about them. There are only two options here: Take it as inspiration or find a way to make an excuse about why it isn’t inspiring to poor you and build the walls higher.

Man.....

Can I hang out with you guys?

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Last edited:

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

Hyrum

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
359%
Jul 5, 2016
Nebraska
So at what point does "Thinking Bigger" become "Thinking Too Big"?

I've been kicking an idea around for a few months that has loads of potential. But when I start doing financial projections, I get to feeling like Dr. Evil

100billion.jpg

I get the feeling that if I were to pitch in front of a group of investors, once I start talking about the numbers they'd dismiss it as implausible before I could finish explaining how I arrived at my projections. Any thoughts on how big a project can be before investors stop taking you seriously?

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada

I've been kicking an idea around for a few months that has loads of potential. But when I start doing financial projections, I get to feeling like Dr. Evil

View attachment 19181

I get the feeling that if I were to pitch in front of a group of investors, once I start talking about the numbers they'd dismiss it as implausible before I could finish explaining how I arrived at my projections. Any thoughts on how big a project can be before investors stop taking you seriously?

If your idea really is that great, and it is that big, if you don't do it then I guarantee you that eventually someone else will. They won't have had those hangups and will have gone forward with it. If they can do it, why not you?

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

View attachment 19181

I've been there. I raised millions.

Yes the projections in my discussions with investors were in the hundreds of millions with conservative assumptions. Like you, I felt like a crazy a**hole. Don't.

They can only say no, and some did. DO IT!

Last edited:

Hyrum

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
359%
Jul 5, 2016
Nebraska
I've been there. I raised millions. The s got added recently.

Yes the projections in my discussions with investors were in the hundreds of millions with conservative assumptions. Like you, I felt like a crazy a**hole. Don't.

They can only say no, and some did. DO IT!

Thanks! Glad to know it's not just me.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
This thread has to be in the top GOLD, you have to read this.

@Kak Thanks

I don't know about GOLD, but I do think it should be an ongoing thread, a reminder at all times to think bigger.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
To me, it seems the difference is that these guys aren't trying to 'make themselves rich' and make 'F*ck you money'. They're trying to solve a giant problem and become lauded in the history books as men who transformed the way Texans commute to work.

There's a difference in incentive. Dr. Aguilar isn't thinking about how to make a business that 'covers his nut'. He's thinking about how to use the free market to solve a major problem. He may very well have been thinking about this problem for a long time. (Fun fact: Elon Musk was once asked 'I'm 21 what should I do', and he said 'pick a difficult problem that will help humanity if solved and work to solving it', implying that you should devote your life then to solving that problem)

Nobody in this thread without the desire to do something like this will EVER, and I mean EVER, even attempt it. They'll leave this thread thinking 'wow, that IS big' and then go back to working on their Shopify stores.

Oh, by the way, Elon Musk is currently working on 5 of those problems as we speak. Are you working on solving a big problem?

I'll admit, reading this made me rethink my life, despite having read Zero to One and listened to several Elon Musk speeches.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
To me, it seems the difference is that these guys aren't trying to 'make themselves rich' and make 'f*ck you money'. They're trying to solve a giant problem and become lauded in the history books as men who transformed the way Texans commute to work.

There's a difference in incentive. Dr. Aguilar isn't thinking about how to make a business that 'covers his nut'. He's thinking about how to use the free market to solve a major problem. He may very well have been thinking about this problem for a long time. (Fun fact: Elon Musk was once asked 'I'm 21 what should I do', and he said 'pick a difficult problem that will help humanity if solved and work to solving it', implying that you should devote your life then to solving that problem)

Nobody in this thread without the desire to do something like this will EVER, and I mean EVER, even attempt it. They'll leave this thread thinking 'wow, that IS big' and then go back to working on their Shopify stores.

Oh, by the way, Elon Musk is currently working on 5 of those problems as we speak. Are you working on solving a big problem?

I'll admit, reading this made me rethink my life, despite having read Zero to One and listened to several Elon Musk speeches.

This is an excellent point. It also reminds me of the Simon Senik book Start with why. These guys have a why.

The other point I was trying to make in this thread is that it is POSSIBLE to do these things. Ventures like this arent just for Elon Musk. Regular people we have never heard of can eat the elephant one bite at a time too.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
This is an excellent point. It also reminds me of the Simon Senik book Start with why. These guys have a why.

The other point I was trying to make in this thread is that it is POSSIBLE to do these things. Ventures like this arent just for Elon Musk. Regular people we have never heard of can eat the elephant one bite at a time too.

That's an excellent point, too.

There's a guy working at Tesla named Andrej Karpathy. He's a smart guy and many probably have never heard about him. People in the 'machine learning' world know who he is, but outside of it? Pretty much unknown.

He's working on the problem of training neural networks in an efficient manner so that they can learn like humans, but with the speed and computing power of computers. His dissertation was on natural language processing. Basically, can AI understand and develop language and instructions like people do, and how can AI teach in a human-learnable way?

Andrej Karpathy is not an entrepreneur... yet. He also makes a salary just like anyone at Tesla (although a fairly hefty one, most likely). But he's working on a very big problem and, in the next 10 years, if you see his name on some amazing AI software suite or something like that, it won't be a surprise.

Maybe we should all be an Andrej. Figure out a big problem to solve, and work with the best and brightest to do so.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
By the way, here's a tweet Andrej posted last month:

Andrej Karpathy on Twitter

"It is starting to look like deep learning workflows of the future feature autotuned architectures running with autotuned compute schedules across arbitrary backends. I don't know if I should be excited or scared."

I don't know half of these words but I understand what his last sentence means. No one human is going to be able to peer into the 'brain' of a deep neural net and figure out what's going on: it's going to learn almost completely on its own... no real help from humans. Maybe Andrej is getting ahead of himself and is going to doom us all. Or he's going to solve a major human problem. I don't know.

Ray Goslin

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Dec 13, 2016

View attachment 19181

I get the feeling that if I were to pitch in front of a group of investors, once I start talking about the numbers they'd dismiss it as implausible before I could finish explaining how I arrived at my projections. Any thoughts on how big a project can be before investors stop taking you seriously?[/QUOT

View attachment 19181

Ray Goslin says
Elon Musk going to Mars. Is there anything bigger. He doesn't think it can't be done, but rather how can I do it, and then finds the way.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.