The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Worldwide C0VlD-19 Coronavirus Pandemic Discussion Thread...

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Good bye cruise industry.

"Keep off cruises amid coronavirus outbreak, State Department says"

The Coast Guard delivered testing kits to the Regal Princess on Sunday morning and the CDC issued a “no-sail order” for the ship.
It is unclear how many people are on board, but it has a capacity of 3,560 guests, according to the cruise line’s website.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Private Witt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
221%
Feb 20, 2018
Oklahoma
Good bye cruise industry.

"Keep off cruises amid coronavirus outbreak, State Department says"

This is gonna be brutal for my bank account and so many others in Seattle. Already crippled by tech workers staying home and now the zillion tourists that come off those boats starting in April gonna kill those who have learned to work crazy hours and bank as much as possible during the April - October tourist season and live lean in winter when hella slow.

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
After spending trillions of dollars on useless wars in the Middle East and bailing out corrupt banks, the US government better not give Americans any crap if they need some money to survive during the COVID19 crisis. I never liked the idea of a "guaranted basic income", but we might need one soon. Or extended unemployment benefits. If they don't have it, they can print it, like they've been doing for themselves.

Last edited:

Thoelt53

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Dec 8, 2016
Boston, MA
After spending trillions of dollars on useless wars in the Middle East and bailing out corrupt banks, the US government better not give Americans any crap if they need some money to survive during the COVID19 crisis. I never liked the idea of a "guaranted basic income", but we might need one soon. Or extended unemployment benefits. If they don't have it, they can print it, like they've doing for themselves.

Why do we need the government to do anything? It F*cks up damn near everything it touches. What makes you think this would be any different?

My biggest fear regarding SARS-CoV-2 isn't the virus itself. What worries me are the draconian actions taken by governments world wide. We don't need more government. And unfortunately this situation opens the doors for governments to further exert control.

We're being lied to across the board. The numbers coming out of China are suspect at best, and the CDC/US federal government are proving to be totally inept, to the extent that it would seem deliberate. In some instances the CDC has outright refused to test patients for the virus. It makes no sense whatsoever. There is something malicious going on, and none of us know what it is.

Hope ya'll are ready to bunker down for a bit. We're in for a ride.

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
Why do we need the government to do anything? It F*cks up damn near everything it touches. What makes you think this would be any different?

It's different because most people live paycheck-to-paycheck and will not survive very long if they can't earn a living. I would rather the government pay people to stay home during a pandemic, than have full blown anarchy. I live in a very large city, and I'd rather not have millions of people running amok. Hopefully it wont get that bad, but right now, we still just don't know what is going to happen.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
It's different because most people live paycheck-to-paycheck and will not survive very long if they can't earn a living. I would rather the government pay people to stay home during a pandemic, than have full blown anarchy. I live in a very large city, and I'd rather not have millions of people running amok. Hopefully it wont get that bad, but right now, we still just don't know what is going to happen.

I don't think we're going to see people running amok in the streets, for the most part. Italy has been rather tame, as has Seattle. It's not like the aftermath of a police shooting, or a natural disaster. In a pandemic there is significant risk in grouping up with people to run amok, and so I think most people are going to ride it out at home, to the greatest extent possible.

If Seattle starts to burn then I'll be pretty nervous, but until then I'm doing common sense stuff.

nowap

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
221%
Jan 24, 2020
Warnings of an Italian doctor...

(the video is not the doctor. I cant find a video of his message with English subtitles).

He warns all countries in Europe to get ready for the virus.

- IC beds are overflowing
- Extra beds are overflowing
- 10% of patients need IC
- Age of severe cases are dropping - between 46 and 80 something.

He says what is going on in the hospitals is similar to a war, or an earthquake, etc.

They are looking to transfer patients to other parts of the country.

Soon, they must prioritize which patients get an IC unit... (those that have a chance of surviving and carry on having a life afterwards).

This is a first hand WARNING from a top doctor in Northern Italy working on the front lines..

Timea Szabo

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Feb 20, 2020
London
4 people in my local town have got it.
I saw my friend over the weekend who just recently came back from a trip in Italy . A member of his team on the trip has proved positive for C0VlD-19, so it is likely that my friend has it as well, although he said he was not showing any symptoms. I was in close contact with this friend, so if I don't already have it, I will probably eventually get it at some point.

If it is C0VlD-19, this virus is spreading like hellfire, and I personally think there is more to it than meets the eye. Not to mention, a lot of people who have the virus, show little or no symptoms at all, which is detrimental if they come into contact with elderly people, who are much more prone to death from this virus. Scary stuff.

Also:
24 members of the UK public to be infected with the coronavirus in order to develop a vaccine for it, in return for money.
Get paid £3500 to have Coronavirus

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
4 people in my local town have got it.
I saw my friend over the weekend who just recently came back from a trip in Italy . A member of his team on the trip has proved positive for C0VlD-19, so it is likely that my friend has it as well, although he said he was not showing any symptoms. I was in close contact with this friend, so if I don't already have it, I will probably eventually get it at some point.

If it is C0VlD-19, this virus is spreading like hellfire, and I personally think there is more to it than meets the eye. Not to mention, a lot of people who have the virus, show little or no symptoms at all, which is detrimental if they come into contact with elderly people, who are much more prone to death from this virus. Scary stuff.

Also:
24 members of the UK public to be infected with the coronavirus in order to develop a vaccine for it, in return for money.
Get paid £3500 to have Coronavirus
Prayers to you and your friends and family.

Everyman

Get To The Choppa!
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Dec 31, 2015
Ireland
Let's put that virus nonsense into perspective.... (2017 but it has not changed dramatically)....
annual-number-of-deaths-by-cause.png

LuckyPup

Opportunity + Preparation = Success
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Aug 2, 2012
Midwest USA
The US government still wont release information about JFK's death 56 years ago. If it was man-made, I doubt we will ever hear about it. I remember life before AIDS, and it still hasn't been cured after 40 years. Things were different back then, simpler, with shiny clothes.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kl1LP81eSKY
Thanks for sharing this clip. I started playing it and my dog began groaning. Great way to start the day! :rofl:

Ubu_roi

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
338%
Jul 24, 2018
Europe
A few date ago I wrote here to @ChickenHawk that it would be ok to visit Rome.

Unfortunately this is not true any more.

Shops, bars and restaurants are still open, but museums, most attractions, and theaters are closed. What’s worse though is that everything is evolving very fast, and not for the better.

To people on this forum saying this is nothing, well, facts are proving you are wrong.

Never in my life I‘d have thought that a day would come where I could not freely go to Milan or Venice, or my gym would be closed by decree, or I could not go to a theatre.

LuckyPup

Opportunity + Preparation = Success
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Aug 2, 2012
Midwest USA
I think the problem is that they, like me, are pretty well prepared.
Only for the wrong thing.

I am prepared to sweep through the streets wearing reinforced motorcycle gear, bashing zombieheads in left and right. Showing up like the knight in the white armor, saving the neighborhood through the power of my mace.

But now we have an invisible enemy, and all I can do is to practice proper hygiene and avoid crowds. Business as usual, it is.

Bummer.
FACT: And you have plenty of beets to see you through the inevitable famine.

GoodluckChuck

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Feb 2, 2017
my house
If you are concerned about the virus itself and your health, check out the Wim Hof method. Its immune system boosting properties might come in handy when normal medicine is unavailable.

I've been doing it every day for the last month. I did it regularly last year and believe it helped me to overcome a nasty bug while visiting Vietnam.

One day I was enjoying a normal morning. I got to the office and began my normal routine of Wim Hof and coffee. I did the breathing exercise one day and was immediately thrown into a very high fever. It was one of the most intense fevers I've ever experienced. I did the breathing exercise twice a day and 48 hours later I was back to normal.

It's anecdotal but I think it's worth a look, especially for those that are at higher risk health-wise.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Let's put that virus nonsense into perspective.... (2017 but it has not changed dramatically)....
annual-number-of-deaths-by-cause.png

September 11, 2001 - Nineteen men hijack four commercial airlines loaded with fuel for cross country flights, to carry out a terrorist attack on the United States orchestrated by al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden.

That morning, I was waiting in the airport for a flight from MSP to LAX. It was a normal Tuesday...

until it wasn't.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
This thread would be great starting point for a PHD thesis on human behavior to a real or perceived danger.

One of my favorite posts in this thread.

I almost feel like I'm addicted to this thread just to see what people will post next. Is it news? A conspiracy? Unfounded claim? Interesting anecdote? Mathematical extrapolation?

It's almost like a soap opera that I just can't stop watching.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Fun fact: CDC budget was cut by 80% because US Government thought is was an unnecessary expense.

It is. If full commie lockdown in China didn’t contain this... More taxpayer money to the CDC wouldn’t either.

THE BIGGEST help to this crisis is private industry. You know, Clorox, Lysol, P&G, Purel, Costco, Walmart, 3M. They have done more to prevent the spread of the virus than all of the world’s governments combined.

When there is a cost effective vaccine or cure, if there ever is one, it will be a pharmaceutical company that comes up with it.

Last edited:

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
It is. If full commie lockdown in China didn’t contain this... More taxpayer money to the CDC wouldn’t either.

THE BIGGEST help to this crisis is private industry. You know, Clorox, Lysol, P&G, Purel, Costco, Walmart.

When there is a cost effective vaccine or cure, if there ever is one, it will be a pharmaceutical company that comes up with it.

"bUt bIg PHaRmA tHoUgH"

Ernman

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Feb 8, 2019
Florida, USA
Unless there are massive efforts not being reported I’m pretty embarrassed for the U.S. on a federal and state level for how poorly this is being handled. From aggregating multiple reports we’ve tested roughly 2,000 people total while South Korea is testing 10,000/day?
This is worse than embarrassing, this is dangerous.

Ernman

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Feb 8, 2019
Florida, USA
Covid 19 is just impossible to contain, it will just be circulating around the world like any other common malady, and we'll all just have to live with it.
Some experts are already saying this will be the case.

VDP

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Aug 11, 2019

THE BIGGEST help to this crisis is private industry. You know, Clorox, Lysol, P&G, Purel, Costco, Walmart. They have done more to prevent the spread of the virus than all of the world’s governments combined.

From your reactions, I get that you think there is no important role for the government here. Am I right? Either way just wanted to put my thoughts out on this subject.

A lockdown might not contain it but it can for sure delay it. If we look at Singapore and South-Korea, they are doing a way better job than most European countries in dealing with the virus.

To me, it shows that there are for sure ways to slow it down depending on the reaction of the government. Are they pro-active (Singapore) or are they reactive and do nothing till it's spread like in Italy.

The disease might not be killing all of us, but if the virus can spread freely and a lot of people that need medical help are not able to the death rate will be way higher than needed.

IMO it is the government's job to educate and take pro-active measures.

p.s. obviously it would be better if people self-educated but we can't expect that from the general public

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
So all the airlines are emailing my frequent flyer email addresses, with essentially the same message.

"Please keep flying."

They state that they have air purifiers (LOL) and that they deep clean the planes overnight.

I may not be a certified epidemiologist, but I have a few questions.

1. Have the air purifiers they use to recirculate your exhaled carbon dioxide, has this been clinically tested and proven to eliminate through their purification systems 100% of the airborne particles of coronavirus, influenza or even the shit you all cough out from the common cold?

2. How does them cleaning the planes at night help me for my 2PM flight in the seat that hacking martha deposited all of her sputum?

3. If I touch the seat, the tray table, the seat belt, the call attendant button, the light switch, the air vent, the bathroom door handle or any other unmentionable grossness associated with an in flight bathroom, can the airline guarantee me 100% that I can't get the flu virus from those surfaces?

4. The stewardess (sorry, flight attendant) has touched ALL of those surfaces, in the last half hour. Could she put on a pair of gloves BEFORE she serves me the diet Coke to trap those germs to herself?

5. What sanitary measures are in place at the airport other than the dirty mop bucket that the guy is using to clean some barf up in concourse B? Has the barf been tested for Norovirus?

6. On the average cross country trip, how many surfaces does the average air traveler come into contact with that could potentially be contaminated?

7. Why did the United States government recommend against traveling on cruise ships, but NOT issue the same warning for air travel which is infected with the same inherent risks?

I have a trip scheduled for April, and another one scheduled for May. I will either be driving in my own hermetically sealed and sanitized vehicle, or not going.

I am a germaphobe on a good day, before all this. This pandemic-in-the-making has me seeking a private island I can escape to. Unfortunately, blue lagoon is already taken and Brooke Shields is now an old woman.

Ernman

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Feb 8, 2019
Florida, USA
I'm afraid I have to disagree on this one @Kak . A properly funded CDC would have been further ahead on this power curve. Instead they are playing catch up ball against a relentless enemy. And it is data from the CDC that will allow the pharma's to jump start and get the vaccine cooking.

I'm a firm believer in the balance of government and industry. Unfortunately, our current leadership got it very wrong and many U.S. citizens will pay the price.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I'm afraid I have to disagree on this one @Kak . A properly funded CDC would have been further ahead on this power curve. Instead they are playing catch up ball against a relentless enemy. And it is data from the CDC that will allow the pharma's to jump start and get the vaccine cooking.

I'm a firm believer in the balance of government and industry. Unfortunately, our current leadership got it very wrong and many U.S. citizens will pay the price.

You cannot predict black swans. Any armchair analysis on this is revisionist history. CoronaVirus is NOT NEW, but this strain is BRAND NEW.

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
How does them cleaning the planes at night help me for my 2PM flight in the seat that hacking martha deposited all of her sputum?

Spat my coffee

The answer is no for all of the questions. Just like you could get a cold you could get anything else. It doesn't differ from using public transportation or being pretty much anywhere along with a group of people either. Unless you go sanitizing yourself like a freak and make sure you don't touch your face and nobody coughs near you, they can only mitigate the risk. I get sick just from being exposed to the dry air conditioner of the plane, everytime I visit homeland I get there with some kind of sore throat that lasts me a couple days. A couple years ago I decided to forego the flu shot (not 100% if it was that or not) but that year I got strep throat like 3 times in two months, compared to no flu pretty much never since I've been in middle school

Thoelt53

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Dec 8, 2016
Boston, MA

Government is notoriously slow and inefficient. You could give the CDC, or any federal agency, an unlimited budget and they would figure out how to spend every last penny in the least efficient manner.

Ernman

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Feb 8, 2019
Florida, USA
So all the airlines are emailing my frequent flyer email addresses, with essentially the same message.

"Please keep flying."
This is when the capitalist in me wants to cringe. I get it, the airlines are taking serious hits and want customers. But, at what long term price? Who do they think they're fooling? Hell, most of us got the random airplane grud before all this. Unfortunately, air travel has become a "need" in our modern age. Those who must travel will and others will adjust their schedules as their personal risk assessment dictates. Instead of encouraging people to keep flying, the airlines should say something along the lines of, "we know you're worried and here's what we're doing." IMHO

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.