The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Worldwide C0VlD-19 Coronavirus Pandemic Discussion Thread...

farmer79

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
321%
Nov 24, 2013
Saskatchewan, Canada
Just to reiterate MTF’s point.

Did you know that animals die in a zoo everyday? I didn’t think about this until I started volunteering at a zoo. Each day there would be an emergency. It was rare to have a normal day where all you did was feed the animals and clean the cages.

If you have a couple thousand animals, you are going to have a medical issue or an animal die of old age daily. It’s just a law of numbers.

Can you imagine if your local zoo reported the death of each animal? It would look like that zoo is careless and can’t keep animals alive at all.

This is very true, I used to operate a Cattle feedlot and 1% deathloss was very good. So a 100000 head feedlot operation that is turning their inventory twice a year will have 6 a day dead.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
The coronavirus has exposed a lot of nutjobs and weirdfucks on Facebook.

Determined2012

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jun 22, 2012
Chicago, IL

A second wave. Wow.

I have been trying to keep up with this thread to stay informed, I think the best info is here and not on Facebook or instagram.

With that being said, for those who don't mind can you post about what you (personally) are doing, and or what you think people should be doing while all of this is going on. I haven't really saw those type of posts in here, or is there another thread for that.

As for me I am mainly staying home, go out less than 1 time per week usually. I am taking my vitamins (C and Zinc) and drinking lots of water and a gatorade here or there. Every morning I wake up I take a deep breath through my nose and hold my breath for as long as I can- just to make sure my lungs are still clear and that I won't cough from doing that. Beyond this I am not doing anything. But been wondering if there is more I could or should be doing. I am working on some personal development goal achievement and reading books for fun as well.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Here is my math of the day... And what concerns me greatly. I hope someone can shed some light on this, because I don't see how this isn't a problem... People seem to ignore this one MASSIVE problem... To make this truly go away we must contract the virus or vaccinate.

In my county we currently stand at 110 cases... It isn't growing exponentially, but linearly. Mostly because of various lockdown measures. We have flattened the curve TOO FAR here, our hospitals aren't in the least bit sweating it.

For the sake of argument let's use TEN TIMES that number per month... Let's use 1100. 1100 new cases per month. We have 556,000 people in this county. In order for us to get through this, I would expect at lease half, if not 90% of the residents will have to get this and recover... Right?

Let's call it half...

That is 278,000 people that NEED to get this. At 1100 cases per month... Remember, 10x what has actually occurred. It will take 21 years for this to circulate.

SO, privy to numbers like that, we have 2 options. Continue to flatten the curve for 21 years... Or move forward with life with a controlled burn. Utilizing as much hospital capacity as we can freely use in order to get out the other end of this. This also has the added benefit of letting us open some of the world back up and potentially lift some travel restrictions.

What am I missing here? How do we expect to "reopen" on some arbitrary day? That is nonsense.

Last edited:

James Klymus

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 28, 2018
Chicago, Illinois
What am I missing here? How do we expect to "reopen" on some arbitrary day? That is nonsense.

Well here in Illinois (I live outside of chicago), First the deadline to reopen was going to be the 7th. Then the governor announced an extension until the 30th of this month. The mayor of the city I live in extended its state of emergency declaration until the middle of may.

It does seem arbitrary, and Im worried that we're just kicking the can down the road.

How long can you order people to stay at home before they become upset and start acting more off of instinct? Especially those who are out of work. Sure we can go get groceries, pick up take out, but we were supposedly able to use parks and nature trails, but they shut those down too.

The weather is 70 degrees and sunny, and you expect people NOT to go to the park and walk on trails, Especially since everything else is closed and they've been locked inside for weeks already?

Luckily i'm still able to work, and I'm a delivery person so I get to enjoy the weather. But there's plenty of people who are stuck in the house, anxious to get out.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

A second wave. Wow.

I have been trying to keep up with this thread to stay informed, I think the best info is here and not on Facebook or instagram.

With that being said, for those who don't mind can you post about what you (personally) are doing, and or what you think people should be doing while all of this is going on. I haven't really saw those type of posts in here, or is there another thread for that.

As for me I am mainly staying home, go out less than 1 time per week usually. I am taking my vitamins (C and Zinc) and drinking lots of water and a gatorade here or there. Every morning I wake up I take a deep breath through my nose and hold my breath for as long as I can- just to make sure my lungs are still clear and that I won't cough from doing that. Beyond this I am not doing anything. But been wondering if there is more I could or should be doing. I am working on some personal development goal achievement and reading books for fun as well.
There’s a couple of diary from the bunker/quarantine threads.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
It does seem arbitrary, and Im worried that we're just kicking the can down the road.

Exactly. Instead of dealing with this problem swiftly we are mulling about doing little good for the long term well being of our world.

Make no mistake, global poverty is a way bigger problem than coronavirus.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore

I've been working from home since early Jan last year, so with regards to the WFH thing which many countries and companies are doing nowadays, it's nothing new. I minimize going out (except for a few hours every sunday to do some sports and socialize a bit to maintain sanity), and make a conscious effort to stay as far away from people as possible. E.g: keeping a distance of 5 - 8 feet from people outside where possible.
When not possible, I inhale deeply and hold my breath until I reach a place where there's no crowd. I avoid all main streets and go through desserted lanes / small pathways, plan my route before stepping out the door, to avoid humans where possible when outside.
When pressing lift buttons or traffic lights, I use the tip of my key to minimize contact.

In cold / air-con places (subway, offices, malls etc.), I mask up.

But beyond that, everything else is out of our control, so there's no point worrying. I mean, you can take all the precautions in the world, but there's no way you can control what others do (e.g: your wife gets infected by the store cashier who got it from her husband's boss's wife's teenage son....).

This is a long term issue, and keeping the mind sane is as important. I don't believe in the herd immunity theory, but am a supporter of the 'flatten-the-curve-till-vaccine-or-cure-is-found' method.

Oh yes.....MINIMIZE the reading of those posts on FB and Twitter especially. Too much information overload from doctors and experts, and most of them are about grim news. I guess these docs and experts want to take this opportunity to get famous for their professional benefits. Youtube is a far happier place.

On FB and Twitter, weird little F*ckers are posting all kinds of doomsday crap. It seems they feel society is not messy enough, and seem eager to make it more chaotic, with many spreading all kinds of fake news. Know what's worse? Lots of people (at least on my FB) getting EXCITED and happy, with some even CHEERING whenever a country (previously it was China, now it's USA / Italy / Spain) hits a new high in the infected cases for that day. Absolute psychos and scumfucks, they have no idea of the economic tsunami that's going to hit all of us.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Here is my math of the day... And what concerns me greatly. I hope someone can shed some light on this, because I don't see how this isn't a problem... People seem to ignore this one MASSIVE problem... To make this truly go away we must contract the virus or vaccinate.

In my county we currently stand at 110 cases... It isn't growing exponentially, but linearly. Mostly because of various lockdown measures. We have flattened the curve TOO FAR here, our hospitals aren't in the least bit sweating it.

For the sake of argument let's use TEN TIMES that number per month... Let's use 1100. 1100 new cases per month. We have 556,000 people in this county. In order for us to get through this, I would expect at lease half, if not 90% of the residents will have to get this a recover... Right?

Let's call it half...

That is 278,000 people that NEED to get this. At 1100 cases per month... Remember, 10x what has actually occurred. It will take 21 years for this to circulate.

SO, privy to numbers like that, we have 2 options. Continue to flatten the curve for 21 years... Or move forward with life with a controlled burn. Utilizing as much hospital capacity as we can freely use in order to get out the other end of this. This also has the added benefit of letting us open some of the world back up and potentially lift some travel restrictions.

Well I think that if we get masks and those 5 minutes tests we may be able to return to something resembling a normal life. Especially if we can get N95s.

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
Mark Cuban answering questions about running a small business during the coronavirus. Regardless of his answers, here is a likely goldmine of potential problems to solve.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Well I think that if we get masks and those 5 minutes tests we may be able to return to something resembling a normal life. Especially if we can get N95s.

How so? I am not arguing, just curious... Testing and masks is going to make the airlines reopen? Schools? Businesses? I don't see the connection between the two.

The foundational problem is people need to contract and recover, or vaccinate, or this doesn't actually go away. Preventing the illness just prolongs everything, which is useful in some instances, but not even close to all.

reedracer

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Jun 2, 2019
Kansas City

For the sake of argument let's use TEN TIMES that number per month... Let's use 1100. 1100 new cases per month. We have 556,000 people in this county. In order for us to get through this, I would expect at lease half, if not 90% of the residents will have to get this and recover... Right?

Let's call it half...

So well said.= THIS is why measures taken are not a total lock down. Nulling the curve does not get us out of quarantine.

I suspect if you stay in a linear progression the government may relax things like school for certain ages or public gatherings.

splok

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Jul 20, 2012

For the sake of argument let's use TEN TIMES that number per month... Let's use 1100. 1100 new cases per month. We have 556,000 people in this county. In order for us to get through this, I would expect at lease half, if not 90% of the residents will have to get this a recover... Right?

Let's call it half...

So first, this isn't an argument for locking everyone inside. I have no idea which path is better, and I'm not sure anyone else does either. There are just too many follow-on effects when massive changes are made to complex systems. I start to twitch a little when anyone is TOO certain about their prediction, in either direction.

But you asked for input, so here are some thoughts (I'm not pulling out any charts, just back of the napkin math here):

Having everyone contract the virus or vaccinate aren't the only solutions. If we can find/distribute a treatment that reduces the impact sufficiently, then it's far safer to open the flood gates. The shutdown can buy us time to do so.

Also consider that protective gear seems to be very limited at the moment, which makes hospitals very dangerous places for everyone. Until PPE production and distribution is sufficiently ramped up, the shutdown helps keep healthcare workers working. I imagine that even in the best of times, most hospitals would have serious issues if 20% of their workforce dropped out.

If you have 110 cases, then you really have 5x-10x that number since only the most serious cases are getting diagnosed (maybe 10-20% needing serious medical attention? feel free to tweak the numbers to match your optimism/pessimism). But if it takes two weeks to get sick, then what you're really saying is that you had 500-1000 cases two weeks ago. You have no idea how many you have now, which is what makes this scary. Maybe the shutdown is making it grow linearly where you are, but if left unchecked, it doubles every 2-3 days, right? So without the shutdown, you'd have had from 5 to 7 doublings from your 500-1000 two weeks ago? so then your 500-1000 would be 8000-64000. So your hospitals might be slow now, but what would happen if 800-6400 serious cases show up within the next two weeks?

A controlled burn might be better, but I'm not sure how you fine tune that control to match exactly the capacity of your regional hospitals when you're dealing with something this volatile. (Don't forget to figure in how long it takes people to recover.)

We tend to bias our perception of data to support that outcome that we want, so lets flip this around. Imagine selling a product that has the chart below as your sales numbers (ok, one chart). This product has literally the entire world's population as it's potential market, and people are likely to rush out and buy one just by being physically near someone that had one. Cost not being an object, if you had to order inventory today for the rest of the year, what would be a reasonable order? (feel free to substitute your regional cases/deaths for the thought experiment)

Is turning off the economy worth the number of deaths that you would order for the year? I have no idea, but we should at least have that number in mind when we think about it.

razor

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Feb 18, 2018
Denver
How so? I am not arguing, just curious... Testing and masks is going to make the airlines reopen? Schools? Businesses? I don't see the connection between the two.

The foundational problem is people need to contract and recover, or vaccinate, or this doesn't actually go away. Preventing the illness just prolongs everything, which is useful in some instances, but not even close to all.

Having the antibody tests would be huge, as we would know who is (at least temporarily) immune to the virus because they've already had it. This could also show us that 50% of the population (just pulling a number out of thin air for an example) has already been exposed, at which point we could mostly return to normal immediately.

I believe @ChrisV may be referring to the rapid screening test for active infections, which would allow us to have checkpoints around hotspots (e.g. if you want to leave NYC, you pass through a checkpoint for a 10 minute test to see if you have an active infection. If not, you're free to go). This would also be crucial for reopening the borders - after an international flight, everyone gets checked before they can be admitted into the country (or maybe they have a mandatory quarantine if found positive, etc.).

Finally, the masks should help minimize the spread between people. It's obviously not 100% effective at preventing a single mask-wearer from being exposed to the virus, but if everyone wore masks in public, we may be able to slow the infection rate to a much more manageable level.

The good news is that we are working all three of these items in parallel and making good progress. I'm still hoping we can get back to normal in a few more weeks.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Having the antibody tests would be huge, as we would know who is (at least temporarily) immune to the virus because they've already had it. This could also show us that 50% of the population (just pulling a number out of thin air for an example) has already been exposed, at which point we could mostly return to normal immediately.

I believe @ChrisV may be referring to the rapid screening test for active infections, which would allow us to have checkpoints around hotspots (e.g. if you want to leave NYC, you pass through a checkpoint for a 10 minute test to see if you have an active infection. If not, you're free to go). This would also be crucial for reopening the borders - after an international flight, everyone gets checked before they can be admitted into the country (or maybe they have a mandatory quarantine if found positive, etc.).

Finally, the masks should help minimize the spread between people. It's obviously not 100% effective at preventing a single mask-wearer from being exposed to the virus, but if everyone wore masks in public, we may be able to slow the infection rate to a much more manageable level.

The good news is that we are working all three of these items in parallel and making good progress. I'm still hoping we can get back to normal in a few more weeks.
I don't know if other countries or states are finding this same situation. But I was reading the News from back home in Michigan and they found this might be happening as well with this Virus.

Last edited:

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
The entire purpose of a quarantine really is to beat back the numbers to the point that you can do prevention at scale again. When you were in the mitigation faze the only option is to isolate people from each other to prevent the rapid expansion of the infection in general.
This is what I’m understanding from the national news in Ireland. Everyone stays put as best they can while they try to find those with symptoms, do testing, do contact tracing, and get those people to self-isolate.

It can’t spread if people don’t come into contact with each other. Obviously people have to move about for essential tasks, but the hope is to contain, trace, isolate.

Maybe after that we can gradually reduce the current restrictions in a controlled fashion. What that might look like hasn’t been mentioned yet.

Every time I go to the shops I see people and businesses have adapted more. Everyone is socially distancing now, without it feeling so awkward. Supermarkets have someone at the entrance letting a shopper in when someone leaves, and managing the queue. Till operators are protected by clear plastic screens. A local pharmacy built a temporary drive-through with hatch. Disposable gloves are available in some shops and people are using them.

Local enterprise business courses are going online. Business lunches are being held over Zoom. Health professionals are creating landing pages to discuss their telehealth options.

Businesses are retooling and creating PPE gear or ventilators. Local sewing clubs are creating masks for health workers.

I think these are encouraging signs. People are resourceful. When they understand what needs done, and why, they often come up with clever ways how to do things.

razor

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Feb 18, 2018
Denver
I don't know if other countries or states are finding this same situation. But I was reading the News from back home in Michigan and they found this might be happening as well with this Virus.

Thankfully that seems to only be a rare symptom at the moment. You never know, she may have had something else that either caused the encephalitis or made her more susceptible getting encephalitis from the virus.

Lots of the other scary viruses (like the Nipah virus) cause encephalitis as a primary symptom, and their death rates are a lot higher.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
So okay, let me address the foundational argument.. the slow burn idea.

That's exactly what we want. That's what all those flatten the curve diagrams are about

But we're talking from different perspectives. I'm in a location that's getting hit hard by this, while you guys don't have it too bad yet.

So I think in certain parts of the country that aren't overwhelmed, that could make sense. If you could just slow burn it through just the healthy people, and not the at-risk populations... that could work to help build Herd Immunity.

But right now; like in New York... we're getting so overwhelmed that we can't even think about infecting more people. We have a out of control forest fire.. So getting to a slow burn would mean putting out the fire to a large degree.

So then the question would be: why not put the damper on places like New York (who are out of control) then open the damper in places that aren't being hit that hard.

And my answer is: I honestly don't know. It would depend on a few things. I'll list some potential problems with that though.

First: since the chain is only as strong as it's weakest link, the ventilators are a rate-limiting factor as far as I can tell. These things cost as much as a car, and New York State alone is projected to need 30,000 of them. We might be in a situation where after NY hits its peak and things start slowing we have to send the ventilators to Arizona or Texas or whoever is in crisis next.

So the capacity of the healthcare system is dependent on numbers of doctors, numbers of tools, numbers of nurses, numbers of hospital beds, numbers of ventilators, etc

So do we have enough ventilators to let this thing slow burn through the rest of the country? Unless the private sector can come up with something like they're trying to i really doubt it. The federal government only has 10K ventilators left.

But then you have intergenerational households. 29 year old college student johnny who is taking online classes classes but lives with his parents catches it, and doesn't know he has it, and is spreading it.

Then how do you semi lift a lockdown? I mean I'm not against it just I think a number of things would ha ve to be worked out.

Just like I said 'why give everyone who is at risk in air tight, completely safe hotel rooms" i mean it's a great idea.. but how do you actually implement that.

Because if you have a mask it's safer to be out in public. We actually have the vaccine, it just needs to undergo testing to make absolutely sure it's safe before you administer it to the entire US population; so that part can't be rushed. So given the ventilators situation, at least in affected areas we just need to keep the numbers down enough to not break the healthcare system until we have a vaccine. In terms of testing, knowing who is infected is hugely helpful. This disease spreads so quickly because people who are asymptomatic are spreading it. In other words people are spreading it because they don't even know they have it. Most people aren't catching it because they're around people who are obviously sick.. it's the people who are sick and don't know it.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Someone Needs to design a hat that projects a 6 ft radius ring around people. That flashes red if anyone violates the perimeter with big bold backup warnings on red projected on the pavement. So many opportunities when social norms are being shattered.

maybe a dumb idea. Maybe a million dollar winner. But helps solve a problem of helping to establish social distancing.
You might be able to do that with bluetooth since basically everyone carries a phone at this point. If you get within 6 inches of another cellphone it can beep.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ

For me,my worry is not actually getting the virus. It’s the chance that you can get it and have no medical help.

Imagine calling 911 and they say, sorry we don’t have enough ambulances.

I don’t think this has to play out until nobody can get infected. It just needs to last long enough so that there will be healthcare options for people who need it.

If we had unlimited ventilators and nurses and doctors, I don’t think the government would have shut things down.

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014
Guys, are we really still talking numbers?

Let's say we get 10 million worldwide cases in 1 year until the vaccine is ready to go. What difference does that make? Deaths? I don't recall all these "all lives matter" posts when it comes to other diseases (of course all lives matter but sometimes nature wins). Why haven't we advocated for those as some of you are so intensely for this? What's the difference? There were 9 million worldwide cancer cases last year. Were we arguing on the forums about numbers, flattening the curve, deaths, conspiracies, etc? This is nowhere near as significant as cancer is. It's a new virus. It's supposed to spread. It's supposed to infect. It's supposed to kill. Otherwise it wouldn't be a virus. Why are we all of a sudden so fearful? So shocked? So surprised? Did some people honestly think they were on top of the world? That nothing would touch them? That you have unlimited amounts of lives in the bank? One virus has shut down the world. Think about that for a second. Instead of talking numbers, talk about purpose, talk about how this reality check has changed your way of thinking (or are you still the same egoistic person?).

Talk about things you CAN control. Lockdowns? You can't lockdown 7.8 billion people for 1 year. That's impossible. And there's no need to. As soon as the lockdown is over, there will be cases again. Maybe less, but there WILL be cases again.

Invest in your biggest asset: YOUR BRAIN. This will pass just like every winter passes. Stop feeding yourself with negative information. It doesn't help. If you had the choice of knowing you're going to die tomorrow, would you opt to know? Of course not. So start feeding your mind with positive information. Maybe this is a wakeup call to change your way of life. Maybe not. All I'm saying is think about tomorrow. This will pass. What are you going to do after it does? What will all this consumption of numbers, deaths, projections, give you? NOTHING. Learn a new skill. Start a new business. Get closer to your family. That stuff will leave something for you after this is said and done.

Life is short - hopefully this pandemic reassures everyone of that. Don't waste it on meaningless things. Have you always dreamed of a driving a Ferrari, a Lamborghini? Are you in a position to pay the monthly payments? If so, don't think twice. Pull the trigger. Don't care what people tell you. Billions of people have lost the majority of their assets from this one downturn. I'm not talking about your average Joe, I'm talking about seasoned investors. What did all that "not now" do for them? What are you really saving for? Once your business or your corporate career becomes successful (using your definition of success), start to enjoy your life immediately. Eat good food. Drive nice cars. Live in nice homes. Buy that $900 cologne. Buy that $40k watch. Buy that $250 steak. You never know when a *virus* will get to you.

Last edited:

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Thankfully that seems to only be a rare symptom at the moment. You never know, she may have had something else that either caused the encephalitis or made her more susceptible getting encephalitis from the virus.

Lots of the other scary viruses (like the Nipah virus) cause encephalitis as a primary symptom, and their death rates are a lot higher.
I wonder the same thing if there was something prior. I would think there would be more cases showing the same. Although, how many of them have had MRI's or Scans. Probably not many. Hopefully it's an isolated case. Although, I'm sure U of M will keep close tabs on it.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Imagine a 7-day 24-hour curfew with EVERYTHING (including supermarkets) closed (you can only leave your house in case of a medical emergency). Now imagine that the shutdown is effective IMMEDIATELY with no prior warning whatsoever.

Guess who's under a very similar lockdown now - with NO end date announced.

Therefore, she declared that supermarkets and minimarts will be closed with effect from Friday, April 3, 5 pm until further notice. Persons are allowed to be on the roads only:
  • To go to the pharmacy
  • To seek medical assistance
  • If they are part of essential services
  • If they are doing business with any of the exempted businesses.

Small village shops and bakeries remain open but village shops (more like kiosks) pretty much sell only junk food (and I imagine you can only pay with cash, which thankfully I withdrew some time ago just in case so maybe we can get some junk food if we're desperate) and you can't live on highly-processed bread alone.

We were prepared for this as we purchased supplies for at least 2-3 weeks last week. Just to be better prepared we decided to get some supplies again today morning (before they announced the curfew). We stood in a line for an hour and a half just to get inside but got what we needed, including some additional fresh fruits and vegetables and foods with a longer shelf life. Now we should be fine for about a month with the supplies we have.

We could have decided to go shopping tomorrow given the extremely long lines but decided it was better not to put it off. Now we can only be thankful for our prudence.

Crazy, crazy stuff. I'm glad we're prepared.

If you're putting off grocery shopping, do it now. It might be too late tomorrow.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
For me,my worry is not actually getting the virus. It’s the chance that you can get it and have no medical help.

Imagine calling 911 and they say, sorry we don’t have enough ambulances.

I don’t think this has to play out until nobody can get infected. It just needs to last long enough so that there will be healthcare options for people who need it.

If we had unlimited ventilators and nurses and doctors, I don’t think the government would have shut things down.
I know I've seen in the Netherlands these buses transporting clients. I wonder if they can get some ready in other areas. I can't find the video. It looks kind of like a Grey Hound Bus, but can transport 6 patients I think. They were using them to transport to other hospitals. I think pretty much it's inventing as we go to help people. Although, I'm not sure how many Ambulances they make. I would think there would be back up emergency vehicles. Even with Military! We all know they have a Medical Staff and equipment.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I wonder the same thing if there was something prior. I would think there would be more cases showing the same. Although, how many of them have had MRI's or Scans. Probably not many. Hopefully it's an isolated case. Although, I'm sure U of M will keep close tabs on it.
I know I saw earlier in Czech Republic they invented ventilators with snorkel gear. Not sure who came up with tha first since you see Belgium as well.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6qQLsUa7jk

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014
Well, we just reached 1 million confirmed cases worldwide. Crazy how that exponential math works.
Why is this shocking though? It's expected. It's a new virus. There's 7.8 billion people on earth. Of course it's going to spread like crazy.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Last edited: