The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Worldwide C0VlD-19 Coronavirus Pandemic Discussion Thread...

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
The market (thus far, it is still ongoing) loved the press conference. I'm guessing it was the coordination with public/private interests. I was pretty impressed, but I am just one opinion. Money poured into the market, and the market represents millions of minds and trillions of dollars.

Also of note is volatility which to me, is the bigger indicator. The last market "rebound" had very little reversion which indicates the rebound wasn't trusted. This one had some power to it because the VIX backtracked 20%+. Still, at 50+, it doesn't portend the end of this, just maybe that the low has been locked in.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

GIlman

Still Gilman
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
605%
Oct 16, 2014
Honestly, that location is a shit-show normally with lines into the aisles.

It is very true, but we go there all the time and the volume of people in there was probably at least 4-5x normal. Every car stall was filled, even the ones clear out by the car wash.
The self checkout line was all the way back to the freezers and walk in fridge. Took us almost 1 hr to check out.

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Mar 3, 2013
Have you guys seen this? Couldn't find the youtube link so had to post the reddit one.

https://www.reddit.com/r/oddlyterrifying/comments/fhgm0w View: https://www.reddit.com/r/oddlyterrifying/comments/fhgm0w/wuhan_residents_powerful_and_chilling_message_to/

Basically, the woman says images from China about hospitals being cleared are fake and everything is still overflowing, nothing is improving.

That video file is wreaking havok on my Firefox. It's running multiple times and they can't be stopped. I also posted that video a few weeks ago.

NateKruse

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
294%
Jan 13, 2018
Jacksonville, North Carolina
It is very true, but we go there all the time and the volume of people in there was probably at least 4-5x normal. Every car stall was filled, even the ones clear out by the car wash.
The self checkout line was all the way back to the freezers and walk in fridge. Took us almost 1 hr to check out.
I've started using Instacart to have groceries delivered. The fees are very reasonable and it allows tips to be sent directly to the deliverer.

I think I will stick with the practice as long as it is available and affordable.

In my area they can get things from Costco, Sprouts, Target, Petco, and a whole lot of others.

Companies like this save time and reduce direct exposure to crowds. It makes perfect sense to me.

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
405%
Apr 16, 2019
I've started using Instacart to have groceries delivered. The fees are very reasonable and it allows tips to be sent directly to the deliverer.

I think I will stick with the practice as long as it is available and affordable.

In my area they can get things from Costco, Sprouts, Target, Petco, and a whole lot of others.

Companies like this save time and reduce direct exposure to crowds. It makes perfect sense to me.

I doubt those services would be available today or going forward. With the way the situation is, I doubt they'll offer you 10$ delivery fee. Bet you most online catalogues can't even stay up to date with current inventory levels.

Bearcorp

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Jul 2, 2012
Australia
I doubt those services would be available today or going forward. With the way the situation is, I doubt they'll offer you 10$ delivery fee. Bet you most online catalogues can't even stay up to date with current inventory levels.

We get groceries delivered from Woolworths, a few weeks ago you could order for the next day and pick a time, now they’re at least a week delay.

Ernman

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Feb 8, 2019
Florida, USA
Have you guys seen this? Couldn't find the youtube link so had to post the reddit one.

https://www.reddit.com/r/oddlyterrifying/comments/fhgm0w View: https://www.reddit.com/r/oddlyterrifying/comments/fhgm0w/wuhan_residents_powerful_and_chilling_message_to/

Basically, the woman says images from China about hospitals being cleared are fake and everything is still overflowing, nothing is improving.
That woman has put her life on the line to get that message out. Odd's are she will never be heard from again.

• nikita •

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
270%
Aug 24, 2017
London
That woman has put her life on the line to get that message out. Odd's are she will never be heard from again.

It's difficult for me to fathom how anyone can sacrifice themselves like that. She's definitely been "dealt with" by now :/

EDIT: Just found a comment that the video was from a month back when the virus was peaking in Wuhan. So maybe it really is better, I don't know.

GIlman

Still Gilman
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
605%
Oct 16, 2014
It's difficult for me to fathom how anyone can sacrifice themselves like that. She's definitely been "dealt with" by now :/

EDIT: Just found a comment that the video was from a month back when the virus was peaking in Wuhan. So maybe it really is better, I don't know.

yes. I saw this video several weeks ago, so it is old. Who knows what’s really gone over there. Hopefully things are as they say as that will bode better for those in the beginning of their own epidemic.

EVMaso

Calm Seas
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Apr 28, 2019
Vancouver, Canada
Welp, shit is hitting the fan in Canada now, at least in the Vancouver area. Grocery chains have started running low on things, and completely out of stock on the "pandemic essentials" (cleaning materials, tp etc.). I took the opportunity to top up and got swayed a bit by the herd mentality, and now I can conceivable stay in my apartment for several months if necessary.

If and when this is all over I'm gonna have to consume this stuff before I start buying groceries again, I just don't know if I can go through 20 cans of corned beef. :p Will probably end up donating lots of the canned goods I got to a food bank.

Featherdarling

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Mar 7, 2020
Alaska
The Italian lockdown is simply a travel ban, no?
[/QUOTE]

I just spoke and interviewed an Italian friend of mine today in Northern Italy. There's three rules that will allow you to leave the house now or you will get fined 200E if these rules are not followed (if the police see you since they have the ability to check people randomly). #1: If you have to go back home from the place where you are but only if you are not sick or do not have a fever. #2: If you need to go and buy something at the grocery store/pharmacies. #3: If you're sick and you need to go to a doctor.

Featherdarling

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Mar 7, 2020
Alaska
Welp, shit is hitting the fan in Canada now, at least in the Vancouver area. Grocery chains have started running low on things, and completely out of stock on the "pandemic essentials" (cleaning materials, tp etc.). I took the opportunity to top up and got swayed a bit by the herd mentality, and now I can conceivable stay in my apartment for several months if necessary.

If and when this is all over I'm gonna have to consume this stuff before I start buying groceries again, I just don't know if I can go through 20 cans of corned beef. :p Will probably end up donating lots of the canned goods I got to a food bank.

Kosovo and Montenegro were the last two European countries without any confirmed cases as of yesterday. We just got two confirmed cases today (Kosovo). One is Italian and the other is a Kosovar. The grocery stores are packed, but not that packed. They're buying a lot of muesli and milling a ton of flour here for their supplies (they love their dough). Montenegro is the last country in Europe with no confirmed cases. Boosting up your immune system is important, load up on your vitamin C ladies and gentlemen.

zblundell

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Oct 2, 2019
The UK is employing a unique "herd immunity" strategy where 60-70% of the population has to get the virus to build immunity.
That’s exactly what my doctor that I work for said.

EVMaso

Calm Seas
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Apr 28, 2019
Vancouver, Canada
Boosting up your immune system is important, load up on your vitamin C ladies and gentlemen.

Hehe, I snagged the last bottle of Zinc on the shelf. It was way in the back where you couldn't see it unless you really took a good look. Good thing too since my current bottle is running out and I forgot to get another one during my last supply run.

zblundell

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Oct 2, 2019

What’s that old saying? “B.S. without pics?” Only saying this if she has video evidence of the very sick people laying around dying. I heard a different story of the Chinese re-opening the factories and going back to work. Maybe she is telling the truth and maybe the translation is 100% accurate but a story is only a story unless you are able to see the factual evidence for yourself. Just an opinion so please don’t hang me or beat me with a bar of words.

• nikita •

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
270%
Aug 24, 2017
London
That’s exactly what my doctor that I work for said.

What else did he say about it? Does he agree with it?

What’s that old saying? “B.S. without pics?” Only saying this if she has video evidence of the very sick people laying around dying. I heard a different story of the Chinese re-opening the factories and going back to work. Maybe she is telling the truth and maybe the translation is 100% accurate but a story is only a story unless you are able to see the factual evidence for yourself. Just an opinion so please don’t hang me or beat me with a bar of words.

Yes true. It could just be a woman so worried she's spinning a story out of control.

zblundell

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Oct 2, 2019
What else did he say about it? Does he agree with it?

Yes true. It could just be a woman so worried she's spinning a story out of control.
I have some statistics but I’m not sure exactly how accurate they are. I believe there are around 120,000 cases of CV reported and 4,000 unfortunately have died. 70,000 plus people have recovered from the virus. The doctor told me that the people that have died were mostly elderly and have a history of respiratory problems. Smokers, COPD, pneumonia, etc. Don’t believe any passed that were under the age of 9 years old and the ones that did were over the age of 60. The Italians have an aging population of cigar smoking people and the Chinese I suppose are heavy smokers as well according to him. He believes the corona virus is no worse than the common cold unless you are prone to severe illnesses from viral infections. He also said kids are like pastry dishes and would most likely recover from CV but the older population are the most at risk. So I could understand limiting visitors to the nursing home and bingo halls. He also believes that this “outbreak” is being pumped up for political and corporate gains. I find it interesting that CEOs from Walmart, Target, Lap Corp, and others were present during the presidential address

• nikita •

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
270%
Aug 24, 2017
London
I have some statistics but I’m not sure exactly how accurate they are. I believe there are around 120,000 cases of CV reported and 4,000 unfortunately have died. 70,000 plus people have recovered from the virus. The doctor told me that the people that have died were mostly elderly and have a history of respiratory problems. Smokers, COPD, pneumonia, etc. Don’t believe any passed that were under the age of 9 years old and the ones that did were over the age of 60. The Italians have an aging population of cigar smoking people and the Chinese I suppose are heavy smokers as well according to him. He believes the corona virus is no worse than the common cold unless you are prone to severe illnesses from viral infections. He also said kids are like pastry dishes and would most likely recover from CV but the older population are the most at risk. So I could understand limiting visitors to the nursing home and bingo halls. He also believes that this “outbreak” is being pumped up for political and corporate gains. I find it interesting that CEOs from Walmart, Target, Lap Corp, and others were present during the presidential address

Considering the sheer amount of things that are going on right now politically, I don't find it hard to believe that this virus is being blown out of proportion just to distract everyone.

The virus itself is a nothing burger (sorry, love that phrase), what it's causing due to the panic isn't. Imagine if we named all of the viruses and colds and told people to cancel their entire life for a month

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
The virus itself is a nothing burger (sorry, love that phrase), what it's causing due to the panic isn't.

The virus is 10 - 30x worse than the flu, by present estimates. That's not nothing and people need to stop saying it's nothing.

Panic isn't overwhelming hospitals - sick people are.

Not being able to get toilet paper isn't an emergency - that's just the result of panic buying. People do stupider things every Black Friday.

Not being able to get life saving medical treatment because there are literally 100 people in line ahead of you and 100 people behind you IS an emergency, however.

Even if everyone was being calm and collected, this would still be a huge, massive, deal.

Imagine if we named all of the viruses and colds and told people to cancel their entire life for a month

A minor mutation on the cold isn't an issue. Our bodies and societies are set up to handle common colds. Even though the flu kills people we're also set up to handle that as well.

This isn't a cold or flu. This is a novel virus that is sweeping the globe at an incredible rate with a mortality rate 10-30x worse than the flu.

Frankly, I'm totally okay naming a disease and taking some time off for any virus capable of sweeping the globe in a few weeks/months and crippling medical infrastructure in it's wake.

zblundell

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Oct 2, 2019
The virus is 10 - 30x worse than the flu, by present estimates. That's not nothing and people need to stop saying it's nothing.

Panic isn't overwhelming hospitals - sick people are.

Not being able to get toilet paper isn't an emergency - that's just the result of panic buying. People do stupider things every Black Friday.

Not being able to get life saving medical treatment because there are literally 100 people in line ahead of you and 100 people behind you IS an emergency, however.

Even if everyone was being calm and collected, this would still be a huge, massive, deal.

A minor mutation on the cold isn't an issue. Our bodies and societies are set up to handle common colds. Even though the flu kills people we're also set up to handle that as well.

This isn't a cold or flu. This is a novel virus that is sweeping the globe at an incredible rate with a mortality rate 10-30x worse than the flu.

Frankly, I'm totally okay naming a disease and taking some time off for any virus capable of sweeping the globe in a few weeks/months and crippling medical infrastructure in it's wake.
With all do respect sir do you have any statistical data to back up that this is 10 to 30X worse than the flu? According to the CDC website there are approximately 1600 cases reported in the US and approximately 41 deaths. 51,000 cases reported globally with 1775 total deaths according to the CDC. 22-55 thousand influenza deaths from Oct 1 2019 to February 1 2020. So if the rate remains constant as is, then the corona virus would be projected to kill approximately 7,000 people in a year. Hopefully the CDC is not lying to the American public.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
With all do respect sir do you have any statistical data to back up that this is 10 to 30X worse than the flu? According to the CDC website there are approximately 1600 cases reported in the US and approximately 41 deaths. 51,000 cases reported globally with 1775 total deaths according to the CDC. 22-55 thousand influenza deaths from Oct 1 2019 to February 1 2020. So if the rate remains constant as is, then the corona virus would be projected to kill approximately 7,000 people in a year. Hopefully the CDC is not lying to the American public.

It's almost as if you haven't read the thread and have no idea what you're talking about. Go back and start over then join the conversation.

zblundell

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Oct 2, 2019
It's almost as if you haven't read the thread and have no idea what you're talking about. Go back and start over then join the conversation.
How about you get a degree in medicine and then join the conversation

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Trudeau's wife just got corona virus

I think this disease is one of the best things to happen in the world.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ

5,421 deaths / (5,421 + 71,161) = 0.0707 ~ 7.1% CFR

Even using the (incorrect) calculation of:

5,421 deaths / 145,627 = 0.037 ~3.7% CFR

So yeah, 30x worse than the flu even using bad math.

Also, 9% of active cases require hospitalization. Pick 11 people you know at random. All of them have had the flu at some point. How many of them had to go to the hospital over it?

It's quite alright to be alarmed and afraid. It's quite alright to be in denial over what is going on, because it's shaping up to be the real deal once in a lifetime pandemic. But it's not alright to be hostile to someone who suggests that you reap the benefit of the collective brainpower of dozens of smart people before making us rehash stuff we covered some time ago.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
So if the rate remains constant as is

That's not how the infection rate works. There's the flaw in your thinking.

I was only able to spot your error in thinking because of the work that lowtek and others have put in sharing helpful information.

Don't get defensive. There are 49 pages of mostly awesome work being shared. No need to get testy, but your issue had been documented already.

But it's not alright to be hostile to someone who suggests that you reap the benefit of the collective brainpower of dozens of smart people before making us rehash stuff we covered some time ago.

But you did get on a high horse though. For one, he didn't "get hostile". You didn't suggest. You condescended a bit. New guy here is late to the party but he asked a legit question. I imagine it must be frustrating to answer the same thing over and over.

Take a step back. Take a breath.

Everybody, we are in this together. Keep it civil.

Unless someone says nothing burger. Then all bets are off. :rofl:

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
That's not how the infection rate works. There's the flaw in your thinking.

I was only able to spot your error in thinking because of the work that lowtek and others have put in sharing helpful information.

Don't get defensive. There are 49 pages of mostly awesome work being shared. No need to get testy, but your issue had been documented already.

But you did get on a high horse though. For one, he didn't "get hostile". You didn't suggest. You condescended a bit. New guy here is late to the party but he asked a legit question. I imagine it must be frustrating to answer the same thing over and over.

Take a step back. Take a breath.

Everybody, we are in this together. Keep it civil.

Unless someone says nothing burger. Then all bets are off. :rofl:

You're right. I started it.

@zblundell I apologize for being a condescending a$$ hat. I was out of line.

Entre Eyes

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Sep 7, 2019
Traveling to Higher Conciousness
There is near 0% probability trump hasn’t been tested, probably multiple times.

trump has his own personal physician on hand all the time. His health is monitored constantly. When he travels there is an actual trauma surgeon that travels with him, I personally know someone that was a presidential trauma surgeon.

however, trumps status may be considered a matter of national security.

Trump has never said he wouldn’t be tested. He has said he would, he just hasn’t said if he has. There are lots of reasons I can see why they would not want to disclose upfront if he had been test or not, and what his status is.

Please let's keep it real guys/gals.

Someone already had something serious to hide about his blood. Credibility...-1000

VentureVoyager

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
223%
Aug 19, 2017
Merida, Yucatan, Mexico

As of today, Poland has restored and closed its borders.
Anyone who's not Polish can't get in.
Anyone who's Polish and wants to return to the country from anywhere, will be quarantined for 14 days upon arrival.
All international flights and trains stopped.
Schools and universities closed.
Domestic trains, flights and buses work normally.
Whoever can work remotely will be most likely allowed or even encouraged to do so.
Shopping malls almost entirely closed, limited only to banks and grocery stories.

Just like in the US, Australia etc, people raid malls like crazy.

I'm actually pretty happy that the gov said enough with half measures and did something radical.

Mass assemblies were banned.
Everyone is asked to stay at home for the next 14 days, but the gov says it could be prolonged.

The only thing that is still opened is...churches. And the bishops are calling to increase the number of church services... Lol wtf.
But at the same time they graciously allowed (wow!) all the followers to watch Mass on telly or listen on the radio instead of going to the church, if they feel like. So at least that, as I was afraid about my mom, she's super religious. Fortunately, she agreed to stay at home.

Entre Eyes

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Sep 7, 2019
Traveling to Higher Conciousness
Ha! That reminded me about the strange cleaning rituals I'm witnessing at the gym these days. People coating their entire upper body with hand sanitizer after every single set.

Depending on the level of fitness, sounds somewhat sensual sprinkled with a tiny bit of Crazee' seasoning. :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.