The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Weirdest Business Model (worth copying)

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
I came upon this today and had to share it with my Fastlane friends. Please don't laugh....... this is deadly serious.

A man in Queensland Australia saw a need that maybe many people could relate to, but it seems that nobody has ever made a business out of it.

The need was for honest talking at funerals. Here's how he does it:
  • He visits people who are on their deathbeds in hospital. I don't know how he gets to know who is dying, but maybe he has good contacts in hospitals.
  • He interviews them, asking if there is anything they want said at the funeral other than the trite eulogies or wishes engineered by family members. In other words: What are your real last wishes?
  • For legal self protection he records the interviews.
  • He charges the dying person $10,000 to fulfill their wish to have those real wishes spoken.
  • When the funeral is under way he steps up to the microphone being used by the minister or MC, and tells them he is there at the request of the deceased who has asked him to read out his/her real last wishes.
  • Sometimes he tells all those standing behind the microphone to go and join the rest of the mourners.
  • Then he reads out his list, much to the chagrin of the vested interests who have said or would say otherwise.
He has a thriving business. His customers all die, but there are always more potential customers waiting, and as his reputation grows, so does his list of customers.

Walter
P.S. Is this fastlane? He doesn't even finish up with an email list.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain

On the plus side though I’ll bet few clients complain or request a refund.

Kasimir

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Sep 4, 2020
Switzerland
I came upon this today and had to share it with my Fastlane friends. Please don't laugh....... this is deadly serious.

A man in Queensland Australia saw a need that maybe many people could relate to, but it seems that nobody has ever made a business out of it.

• He visits people who are on their deathbeds in hospital. I don't know how he gets to know who is dying, but maybe he has good contacts in hospitals.
  • He interviews them, asking if there is anything they want said at the funeral other than the trite eulogies or wishes engineered by family members. In other words: What are your real last wishes?
  • He charges the dying person $10,000 to fulfill their wish to have those real wishes spoken.
  • When the funeral is under way he steps up to the microphone being used by the minister or MC, and tells them he is there at the request of the deceased who has asked him to read out his/her real last wishes.
  • Sometimes he tells all those standing behind the microphone to go and join the rest of the mourners.
  • Then he reads out his list, much to the chagrin of the vested interests who have said or would say otherwise.
He has a thriving business. His customers all die, but there are always more potential customers waiting, and as his reputation grows, so does his list of customers.

Walter

It's an amazing idea. Here in Switzerland, where I live there are some people doing the exact same thing and they are all winning the game. Some of them go a little in the direction of musician or others into comedy. But I think the market is big. But now with COVID it's difficult, but a least you have more costumers.

The basics are easy but it would be fantastic if it would be able to be scaleable. So that you have a team of speakers and a team of "normal" workers, who visit the people in the hospital. And you could lean back, that's the real thing.

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
290%
Apr 24, 2016
Sounds morbid. Also, definitely not for everyone. Is it normal for someone on their death bed to dish out 10K for this? I can't imagine our poor senior citizens in Bulgaria being able to afford anything close to that.

Wouldn't most people prefer to give that 10K to a loved one? I can definitely see a dying entrepreneur or overall rich person doing this though.

Kasimir

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Sep 4, 2020
Switzerland
Sounds morbid. Also, definitely not for everyone. Is it normal for someone on their death bed to dish out 10K for this? I can't imagine our poor senior citizens in Bulgaria being able to afford anything close to that.
In Switzerland, they charge up to 25k and they often visit you a little earlier when you have about 6 months to 1 year left to live. For there last wish some people do everything they can.

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
290%
Apr 24, 2016
In Switzerland, they charge up to 25k and they often visit you a little earlier when you have about 6 months to 1 year left to live. For there last wish some people do everything they can.

Wow. Why aren't you doing this?

And yes, I'm pretty sure it can be scaled so that you don't have to do anything apart from arranging the visit.

Kasimir

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Sep 4, 2020
Switzerland
Wow. Why aren't you doing this?

That's a great question. Would really love to set up a business, in this are. But I don't see myself talking at a funeral. I'm still very young and I would need to team up with somebody. And I personally don't know anybody who would be willing to start that with me. So maybe later in my life.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Is it normal for someone on their death bed to dish out 10K for this? I can't imagine our poor senior citizens in Bulgaria being able to afford anything close to that.

Wouldn't most people prefer to give that 10K to a loved one? I can definitely see a dying entrepreneur or overall rich person doing this though.

Well an aunt of mine snubbed all her sisters when she recently died and left about $1.5m to a charity and zero to any of her family (with no reasons given that I know of). I'm sure she would have liked to have had the last word at her funeral.

Kasimir

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Sep 4, 2020
Switzerland
Well an aunt of mine snubbed all her sisters when she recently died and left about $1.5m to a charity and zero to any of her family (with no reasons given that I know of). I'm sure she would have liked to have had the last word at her funeral.

I'm sorry about your aunt. But that's the thing. A lot of old people in our area are quite wealthy and most of them don't really care if they pay 1k, 10k, or in some cases even 50k for some great last words. My neighbor past away two weeks ago with a company so-called exit (they help old people die if they don't want to live anymore) and at her funeral there was also a person, who talked a little and said her last words, and she paid more than 10k that's for sure. But it should be about the money. It should be about executing the last wish from somebody. And if that generates you 100k/month it's great, but that's not the focus.

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
290%
Apr 24, 2016

Yes, definitely. It would also make for some rather interesting funerals when you, a stranger to everyone, grab the microphone and read a giant "F*ck you all" note from the now-deceased. Probably a good idea to be able to run fast and have a planned getaway or it could end badly for you.

I'm sorry about your aunt. But that's the thing. A lot of old people in our area are quite wealthy and most of them don't really care if they pay 1k, 10k, or in some cases even 50k for some great last words. My neighbor past away two weeks ago with a company so-called exit (they help old people die if they don't want to live anymore) and at her funeral there was also a person, who talked a little and said her last words, and she paid more than 10k that's for sure. But it should be about the money. It should be about executing the last wish from somebody. And if that generates you 100k/month it's great, but that's not the focus.

So from what I've gathered so far this is a common thing with the Swiss. Really interesting. It's probably empowering for them to be able to have "the final word" even after they're dead. Trusting this to a stranger who has no interest and bias in your family relations but got paid very well seems like a good prospect to carry out the task.

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria

Walter
Wow :D
What a world we live in.
To me this sounds unreal, almost like a plot of a movie.
I cant help but wonder, what kind of a need does this fill. What problem does it solve.
The dead have no needs, right? So strange...

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
There is often a lot of bitterness and fighting in families when a person dies. The one who is dying can be very distressed by it and could see having the last word after death as punishment for the bad behavior.

In some cases I suspect the deceased has been a grumpy person for much or all of their life and are willing to pay to hammer home their anger.

Walter

EVMaso

Calm Seas
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Apr 28, 2019
Vancouver, Canada

Walter

I read that article today too and thought the exact same thing!

Here's the link:

I'm not super into the death industry, but I suspect someone somewhere (aside from the OG guy) is going to make a killing with this idea.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
That article was more complete than what I first saw. Thanks for posting the man's full story, It is fascinating.

It is definitely a real, viable business, but a lot of people would be always looking over their shoulder if they started up such a business.

Walter

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Damn. That's so morbid. I can see the value in it but I can't imagine running such a business and having a happy life. Same for the funeral industry. I guess at some point it stops affecting you and you're desensitized but damn...

Kasimir

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Sep 4, 2020
Switzerland
In Switzerland where this is around a lot, it's not only to say something you weren't able to say when you were alive. It can also be possible to make a quite sad funeral a little funny or to get someone who is good at talking to create a good last moment for your relatives. It's only in a few cases to bring some hatred to people.

df1992

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
238%
May 26, 2020
London
I wonder if there is something in this but without the death?

How many people have family feuds/bad relationships all because of poor communication and would love to tell their dad/mum/brother/sister etc. truly how they felt about certain situations but could never actually face up to it.

Kasimir

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Sep 4, 2020
Switzerland
I wonder if there is something in this but without the death?

How many people have family feuds/bad relationships all because of poor communication and would love to tell their dad/mum/brother/sister etc. truly how they felt about certain situations but could never actually face up to it.
Think that exists already and it's called a family therapist, but most people are even afraid to do this...

Genius01

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Dec 18, 2017
Nigeria

Here's the link:

I'm not super into the death industry, but I suspect someone somewhere (aside from the OG guy) is going to make a killing with this idea.

This is some really crazy stuff man!
The guy has to have a lot of guts to pull this off constantly.
Anyway, he's a private investigator....guess you have to have some good guts to be one.
I'm not sure this is something a regular person would want to get into, you'll probably have to be watching your back (and your front too, lol) at all times.

Suzanne Bazemore

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Sep 30, 2018
Spring, TX
That's a great question. Would really love to set up a business, in this are. But I don't see myself talking at a funeral. I'm still very young and I would need to team up with somebody. And I personally don't know anybody who would be willing to start that with me. So maybe later in my life.
@Kasimir, if it's something that really interests you, maybe consider doing it now instead of later. If you have enough money to hire someone, or you can pay them from what the client pays you, then you can hire someone who fits the bill of who you imagine speaking at a funeral. Think about this: as the idea gains in popularity, someone else might beat you to the punch, and how will you feel?

Kasimir

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Sep 4, 2020
Switzerland
@Kasimir, if it's something that really interests you, maybe consider doing it now instead of later. If you have enough money to hire someone, or you can pay them from what the client pays you, then you can hire someone who fits the bill of who you imagine speaking at a funeral. Think about this: as the idea gains in popularity, someone else might beat you to the punch, and how will you feel?

Oh real direct. Love it!
So now my excuse: ;)
You're totally right. why shouldn't I. I was just looking for an excuse for your answer and there isn't really one. Only that I don't know anybody who would be suitable. But why not keep looking for that, thanks! Keep you updated, if I find somebody.
Wouldn't that be a chance in other countries too? Here it's something with a little competition, but I think in other countries there is little to none competition, you could be the first one. :)

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
Wanna fast lane?
Make arrangement for large display tv or projector. Let person themself say what they want to and you play it on funeral.
Boom, you don't have to have guts to speak to gathered yourself.
And its pretty scalable.

Kasimir

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Sep 4, 2020
Switzerland
Wanna fast lane?
Make arrangement for large display tv or projector. Let person themself say what they want to and you play it on funeral.
And its pretty scalable.
Oh what an idea! Only need a local to help me build that up. But thanks for the idea. Why isn’t anybody else thinking of that? Am I missing something?

Suzanne Bazemore

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Sep 30, 2018
Spring, TX
Oh real direct. Love it!
So now my excuse: ;)
You're totally right. why shouldn't I. I was just looking for an excuse for your answer and there isn't really one. Only that I don't know anybody who would be suitable. But why not keep looking for that, thanks! Keep you updated, if I find somebody.
Wouldn't that be a chance in other countries too? Here it's something with a little competition, but I think in other countries there is little to none competition, you could be the first one. :)
@Kasimir - but I'm not interested. People on this forum can (and will) hold my feet to the fire about something else, lol.
I think @Kid's idea of recording the person is a good one. Then you don't have to hire anyone, except maybe people to go do the recording.
You know, people's last words might actually be positive, not negative, especially if you record them instead of offering to say it for them.

Suzanne Bazemore

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Sep 30, 2018
Spring, TX
Please don't laugh....... this is deadly serious.
@Walter Hay , this was actually an interesting concept - I'm glad you mentioned it, and I'm reluctant to say this, because I'm not trying to make light of your serious topic, but nice pun.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Wow. Maybe I’m just really weird, but this actually sounds fun and/or enjoyable to me. It could also be very meaningful. I don’t know why, but talking to someone old (I’m very young) has always filled me with wonder, especially someone at the end of their life. It’s like everything they say is much more profound, even the funny or sarcastic things they say. Giving the speech would also feel pretty profound. Great idea and story, @Walter Hay

is it Fastlane? Not as a one man show, but others already pointed out how it easily could become Fastlane. Also $10k sounds great but if you want to serve as many people as possible, in this case a lower price could work.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
Also $10k sounds great but if you want to serve as many people as possible, in this case a lower price could work.
If there is any bitterness involved, price is not likely to matter. I think you will find that many who are willing to pay for such a service will just pay the money out of the amount that they are leaving behind.

I would definitely expect that customers would be willing to pay a lot more for the video as referred to by @Kid:

Wanna fast lane?
And its pretty scalable.

Walter

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore

Walter

I think the logistics (physical, legal and trust issue) of reaching a deal with a “dying person” is the entry barrier big enough to deal with.

That is probably his or her secret source.

How do you know so much rich and bitter people who are dying and can trust you?

And why would they not to choose a lawyer and address the bitterness in the will.

I just do not understand how that market works.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.