The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Most Inspiring Entrepreneur Ever - Madam C.J Walker

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

kristofferR

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Mar 24, 2011
http://kristofferR.com
Madam C.J Walker

cj-275x300.jpg

First, she was born in Louisiana.

On a farm.

In 1865.

Not really an ideal time and place to be born if you’re:

A woman.
African American.
But she had plenty of additional challenges to face.

She was an orphan at age seven.

At age 14, she got married …reportedly to escape the abuse that she was suffering at the hands of her brother-in-law.

She became a mother at age 17, and a widow at age 20.

She supported herself and her daughter by picking cotton on a farm, by being a laundress, and by working in a barber shop. From what I can tell, the most she ever made during that time was $1.50 a day.

But It Got Worse

At around 25 years old, she began to develop a a condition that caused her to start balding.

Can you imagine? As if she didn’t have enough to deal with …now the poor lady’s hair is falling out.

(And we whine when our cell phone drops a call every now and then… kind of embarrassing.)

Anyway …

Here’s Where It Gets Good

It shouldn’t surprise you that she quickly became a student of “how to fix this damned balding problem”.

In fact, she researched all kinds of treatments, and eventually discovered that sulfur could abolish the scalp disease that was causing people to lose their hair.

(Apparently, people lost their hair a lot back then because they didn’t bathe as much. They would get some nasty scalp infection and their hair would fall out. But if you treated the problem with sulfur, you could knock it out.)

So she did the only logical thing to do, which was to start her own business …selling a product called “Madam Walker’s Wonderful Hair Grower”.

Keep in mind, she was just starting out and didn’t have a big budget (probably NO budget at all) so she had no choice but to …

Go Out, Grab The World By The Balls, And Bend It To Her Will!

And the first thing she did was to go door to door, selling her product.

Listen – nobody really embraces a door to door sales person with open arms these days, you know?

But imagine what it must have been like for Madam Walker in the racist and male dominated environment she was working in back then.

…That took some cojones.

How many times do you think she was rejected?

How many doors do you think were slammed in her face?

How many insults did she hear?

I’m willing to bet she even was threatened …regularly.

But did that stop her?

Hell No!

Not only did she survive …she thrived.

Mrs Walker hung in there and sold more products, developed new ones, and finally opened up a factory in Indianapolis.

By 1913, she was traveling around the world training other women to sell her products.

…And by the time she died in 1919 at age 51, she had become

The World’s First Female Self-Made Millionare!

Against incredible odds, wouldn’t you say?

Man – what a story.

Did I mention that her parents were former slaves? I don’t think I did.

So her story is amazing, and I think her success is largely due to one critical characteristic:

The Amazing Ability To Get Off Of One’s a$$ And Get To WORK.

Seems we have a lack of that ability these days.

Think about it.

The real secret to success is to get out there and work like hell.

And when we think about Madam C.J. Walker, it’s painfully obvious that …

We Have Absolutely NO Excuse For Failure!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

kristofferR

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Mar 24, 2011
It truly is an amazing and inspiring story!

Yeah, the original story can be found here,
I just copied it and removed the irrelevant parts that was just cluttering up the story ;)

A

Anon3587x

Her hardships caused her less misery than you would think.
Many things change with the times.

All those problems she had, provided her with the same amount of misery as lets say a cellphone dropping a call would cause for us.

Sure she had a lot going against her but in her reality it was the norm.

You can't compare our norm to hers.

None the less she was a great women.
Thanks for sharing

kristofferR

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Mar 24, 2011
Her hardships caused her less misery than you would think.
Many things change with the times.

All those problems she had, provided her with the same amount of misery as lets say a cellphone dropping a call would cause for us.

Sure she had a lot going against her but in her reality it was the norm.

You can't compare our norm to hers.

None the less she was a great women.
Thanks for sharing
I don't agree at all. I don't dispute that we generally have much better lives today than in 1865, but surely you can't compare the feeling of insane racism, hate, being abused, being a orphan and have everything in the world working against you to the feeling of a dropped cellphone call. That's crazy.

The fact that the world was generally a much worse place didn't make her situation any better than the same situation today would have been.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
A

Anon3587x

I heard a scientist coin the term social Darwinism.

That was the only life she would of known so it wouldn't of bothered her.

Everything you just labeled to be 'insane' would of been normal to her as she had nothing else to compare it to.

kristofferR

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Mar 24, 2011
I'm probably just as much of a fan of Darwin as you are (reddit.com/r/atheism ftw), but I don't agree for several reasons.

A lot of these things happened not at birth, but a bit into her life. She knew (both emotionally and logically) what it was like to have parents and how it was to have someone you love. Both those things were torn away into her life (parents and husband), not at birth.

She also knew logically how bad it was to be black. She hadn't experienced a life without hate and racism towards her and her family, but she intellectually knew how the whites lived and how she lived. She knew that she was treated horrible, she didn't have to experience being white to know that.

I also don't agree that emotions are learned purely through environmental factors. Environmental factors surely have a big impact, but there's definitely a big genetical factor there too. We don't learn to be sad when bad things happen to us, it is how healthy brains are wired (suppressing the emotions can be learned however). Humans instinctively know that being abused and hated is a bad thing, it's not something you learn by contrasting good and bad experiences.

kristofferR

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Mar 24, 2011
I'm really open minded and always open to admit I'm wrong, but I see your point. We have more important things to spend our time on than to convince someone else on the internet about something! :)

duty_calls.png

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.