The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Fastlane Forum, Live Chat Rooms

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Any interest in this?

The Fastlane Forum actually had a chat function some years ago (guessing around 2010) but surprisingly, it wasn't used a lot. As such, I removed it.

However, a lot of time has passed and things change, from tastes to internet use expectations, so I'm OK revisiting the topic.

I'm willing to install a service if there is interest for it.

Your thoughts?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
I think it's a great idea! :happy:

I'm naturally in favor of a discord server as well, but that does require dealing with an entirely different system. However it would likely increase the Fastlane's presence on mobile devices which may be worth the effort.

GrayCode

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
399%
Nov 23, 2015
My opinion:
I think chatrooms will become a distraction to those just getting started along their journeys. They 'll feel an itching need to see all the new updates since they last checked and be focused on things that don't really concern them, when they should be building their fastlane.

The benefit to a forum is that I pick and choose what I want to chat about based on the thread. Even with live-chat channels, ala' slack or discord, it's extremely easy for someone to start some other random conversation in a channel not meant for that. Then there is more managing costs and etc for keeping people inline.

Personally, I think the forum is the way to go.

3 years ago, I would have LOVED the live chat idea. Now, I want to avoid dream-state entrepreneurial circle-jerk at all costs and focus on the process.

Now a question
@MJ DeMarco would there be more to manage if the live-chat was used often? Also, (not sure what software you would use for the chat) but could you easily move chunks of random convos around to their appropriate channels? Seems like more moderation.

On the other hand
I think a live chat functionality for INSIDERS only could be helpful. Maybe INSIDERS are more likely focused on their businesses and goals and so it'd be more productive chat, more signal, less noise?

D

Deleted74396

My opinion:
I think chatrooms will become a distraction to those just getting started along their journeys. They 'll feel an itching need to see all the new updates since they last checked and be focused on things that don't really concern them, when they should be building their fastlane.

The benefit to a forum is that I pick and choose what I want to chat about based on the thread. Even with live-chat channels, ala' slack or discord, it's extremely easy for someone to start some other random conversation in a channel not meant for that. Then there is more managing costs and etc for keeping people inline.

Personally, I think the forum is the way to go.

3 years ago, I would have LOVED the live chat idea. Now, I want to avoid dream-state entrepreneurial circle-jerk at all costs and focus on the process.

Now a question
@MJ DeMarco would there be more to manage if the live-chat was used often? Also, (not sure what software you would use for the chat) but could you easily move chunks of random convos around to their appropriate channels? Seems like more moderation.

On the other hand
I think a live chat functionality for INSIDERS only could be helpful. Maybe INSIDERS are more likely focused on their businesses and goals and so it'd be more productive chat, more signal, less noise?

I agree with this actually. I'm not successful yet and can see myself being more distracted by live chat. At least in the forum, even if I spend an hour here, it's not wasted as I'm either learning or helping someone else and getting into the habit of writing and producing written content moreso than live chat messages.

DoTheWork

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Jun 12, 2019
I'm not an INSIDERS, but I totally agree with this. I think would be a great addition, and more of a reason for people to become an INSIDERS.

Not Most People

"If everyone else is doing it, its probably wrong"
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Jan 28, 2019
Scottsdale, AZ

msufan

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Mar 13, 2013
I'm not an INSIDERS, but I totally agree with this. I think would be a great addition, and more of a reason for people to become an INSIDERS.

I agree. Nice perk on the inside and continues to encourage people to post which leaves more value for the future.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
I think that it would only reduce the amount of more thought-out content on the forum. I don't think it's necessary.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I like the forum as more of a content hub, not direct communication method. I view a chat type functionality like I do DMs, yeah I use them, but they are pretty inconsequential to my participation here.

If discussions call for deeper or personal interaction I generally take it to email, phone or Skype.

Sadik

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
Jan 26, 2017
Kolkata, India
Any interest in this?

The Fastlane Forum actually had a chat function some years ago (guessing around 2010) but surprisingly, it wasn't used a lot. As such, I removed it.

However, a lot of time has passed and things change, from tastes to internet use expectations, so I'm OK revisiting the topic.

I'm willing to install a service if there is interest for it.

Your thoughts?
There's a Live Content addon for this forum software. It updates threads in reaI time without having to refresh the page. It can work as an in-between thing between a forum and a chat. I agree that chat adds a lot of background noise to forum. But the pro is that it takes away a lot of low value content. Even then, that may actually reduce forum engagement... :)

The Live content thing can be done per usergroup, so you could give it only to INSIDERS...

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Maybe for the inside? It could increase community, and there’s not as many people on the inside so it would be less likely to descend into chaos. Plus you’d expect people on the inside to be taking more action and arguing less.

It would likely need to self-moderate more than forum threads as no-one would want to keep up on all the chats, and they’d be hard to untangle.

My gut is with MTF in that I think it would reduce thought out content, but then I also think it could be worth a try. Maybe there’s one INSIDERS chat channel and people working late at night can pop in and chat with whoever else needs a quick break or a small boost from being in the company of friends? I could see that working.

.B.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Jun 18, 2016
Belgium, Europe
I think that it would only reduce the amount of more thought-out content on the forum. I don't think it's necessary.

I go in the direction of MTF, GrayCode and Kak:
I fear that it would create more noise/ distraction and reduce valuable content.

The new forum already makes participating on the forum so much easier!
(i.e. shortcut to the TFF newsfeed on the mobile phone home screen
+ alerts on the smartphone
+ it's super user-friendly to navigate the forum with a smartphone).

Thanks MJ for that change! :)

I don't feel that chat rooms would really improve that experience.

At best, the only plus side may be what Andy Black says:
a "coffe-machine" type of chat-room that can be used to chill during work breaks, to reinforce the sense of community

I just wonder: what would the impact be of the time zone differences on the sense of community when participating in those live chat-rooms?
I live in Europe (GMT +1): I'm currently participating in this discussion while US members are asleep... I guess

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
1) No discord please, everything in the same platform.

2)How about enabling it at certain times, like an hour or two a day, or every other day, or weekly? Then it's best of both worlds. Like a little daily meetup you can attend with whoever is hanging out. I can see myself with it up on the screen to keep me company while I draw/paint/write

3) It could be useful for people to ask simple questions for whoever is there instead of creating a whole new thread.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
How about enabling it at certain times, like an hour or two a day, or every other day, or weekly?

Could be the best use of it, limit it to certain times.

Madame Peccato

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Jul 14, 2018
Morbegno, Italy
I like the "enabling it for certain times" idea myself. I don't know how to make it so that most people can participate it seeing the forum's population ranges everywhere from the US to New Zealand and accomodating timezones can be an issue.

Maybe opening it at different times for the 3 big timezones (US, EU, and Asia, and it doesn't have to be on the same day, or even at the same times, ie: 8 PM for all 3 regions), and of course anyone is welcome to join any open room, but the time slot will be specifically chosen to make it easy for people of a specific timezone to join.

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I like the "enabling it for certain times" idea myself. I don't know how to make it so that most people can participate it seeing the forum's population ranges everywhere from the US to New Zealand and accomodating timezones can be an issue.

Maybe opening it at different times for the 3 big timezones (US, EU, and Asia, and it doesn't have to be on the same day, or even at the same times, ie: 8 PM for all 3 regions), and of course anyone is welcome to join any open room, but the time slot will be specifically chosen to make it easy for people of a specific timezone to join.

I was gonna add that and then didn't include it idk why.

I have a friend in London (+7hrs) and a friend in NZ (+a million, so I just substract 7hrs but it's actually tomorrow) 1-4 PM CST seem to get us all awake and active (it's evening in London, next day morning in NZ and afternoon in Chicago, it would be morning/noon in West Coast)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.