The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Cult of Dan Lok - Brainwashed Student Lost $26,000 Testimonial

Einfamilienhaus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Feb 8, 2019
@GatsbyMag You are honest about your opinion and I respect that. But, If you ask me about my honest opinion, I can say that I have the feeling you cant understand how it is being a victim and this behaviour is really dangerous.
Not only in your business life. Also in your private life.

Maybe you just have read the first chapter of Millionaire Fastlane and found the only one information that supports your fatal way of thinking. And that's it.

Consider this everyone, life isn't all roses, sometimes what is considered immoral is right. Not all the time, but sometimes.

I hope you will never make the experience in your life to make a biggest investment based on wrong numbers which the company has falsified and you will lose everything. I hope you are not angry about them. It's your own decision to trust them right?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Pinnacle

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Oct 29, 2007
Edmond, Oklahoma
^^^

Also... see how many people in here are buying and raving about Masterclass dot com. It adds value and is a no-brainer for some at $200/year.

$200/year? What’s that a month? How much is Netflix per year at the moment?

I do feel sorry for the people getting fleeced. The gurus doing it know exactly what they’re doing (and I’m not saying Dan Lok is... I don’t know his stuff).

I have a particular distaste for the gurus and their cults. For the longest while it prevented me creating courses. Now I want to take them on.
I've looked at Masterclass dot com.

What makes it legit, in your opinion, versus these gurus?

It's about courses, too.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I've looked at Masterclass dot com.

What makes it legit, in your opinion, versus these gurus?

It's about courses, too.
Very good question.

Partly what @MoreValue said.

Partly because MJ, Fox, and other business people I respect have raved about it after buying it.

And partly because I can see their business model is to add insane value for your $200/year subscription, instead of that being the first rung in their “value ladder”. It looks to me that they’ve got the best of the best to create their courses, that they’re creating a productocracy, and that they intend to scale to be the Netflix of educational content.

A litmus test I use is:

“Would business owner MJ/Vigilante/Allen Crawley/Richard Branson buy this business course?”

If I think they’d laugh at all the up selling tactics etc then I know the course isn’t aimed at business owners. If it’s not B2B then it’s B2C, and I don’t want to be fleeced as their Consumer.

foodiepersecond

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Aug 2, 2019
Atlanta, Georgia
Also... see how many people in here are buying and raving about Masterclass dot com. It adds value and is a no-brainer for some at $200/year.

Its actually BOGO now. Anyone wanna go 50/50 for a MasterClass?

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
@biophase : The guru object of this conversation doesn't promise you'll become rich, but just "implies" it (have a look at his web site). It's probably not illegal, but he has built a system that makes its profits from un-informed people, giving very little value for the price he asks. This may be legal and as you say the "victim" may be as responsible as the guru, if not more. Still, don't you find it a disgusting way to make business? Especially you that gave so much value here in this forum?​

Yes I find it a disgusting way to do business. But for a person to call it a scam is reaching for me. I don’t think many of the courses are scams. I think that they target people who probably won’t follow through.

Everyone I know that got a soloflex never used it longer than a month. Was it a scam?

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
Everyone I know that got a soloflex never used it longer than a month. Was it a scam?

Obviously. It didn't lift the weights for them!

GrayCode

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
399%
Nov 23, 2015
When I was down and out a few years back making like 25k a year as a personal trainer I looked for help. I found:

Pat Flynn which led me to MJ DeMarco which led me to learn software engineering, which led me to John Sonmez which led me to Grant Cardone which by this time put me into retargeting campaigns of all the gurus. I found Ed Mylett (or he found me) which led me to Andy Frisella which led me to....Dan Lok, Gary Vaynerchuk you get the point.

But their free content was always enough and I was actually understanding what they were saying and it was changing my mindset. It worked. The problem is people become success zombies.

They think they need to hear the next podcast or buy the next course or etc. The reality is you just need to the F*cking work. Now I really only pay attention to:

MJ - because of the forum and he opened my eyes to scalability.
Grant Cardone - Because I like his swag and his message. Similar confidence.
Andy Frisella - Same kind of swag and mental attitude/fortitude.

I don't clamor for the next episode of anything for them and I only listen if I have truly free time (taking a sh*t, for instance)

I'm not even sure where I'm going with this except that I think that people who're comfortable call these people gurus mainly because they're too lazy to do the hard work or too thick-skulled to hear what they're actually saying.

Most people who get caught up like this guy did in the video was likely just super lazy. and when 8 months after Dan Lok's thing - he wasn't a millionaire he started bitching and calling him a worthless guru.

Also - No one is mentioning the dude interviewing him.

It doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out that on first glance he's like a guru-anti-guru. He is preying on those who fell through the cracks and hate these so called gurus and posts youtube videos for views to profit on ad dollars because he knows there are people who don't get it. So the guru-anti-guru is actually all the same as the rest.

The only difference is... He is making these people who don't want to do the actual hard work required for success feel good about their laziness by preying on their hate for the 'gurus'.

Thoughts? @biophase @Tourmaline @Andy Black

Also - If anyone thinks most of these guys haven't walked the talk, you're also missing the message of 'do the work'

Grant Cardone - 9 figure real estate business
Andy Frisella - 9 figure supplement/nutrition company
Gary V - 8-9 figure(?) marketing agency
Dan Lok - (not sure of his story, but I'm sure the message is similar)
John Sonmez - 7 figure blog
MJ DeMarco - 7-8 figure sofrware business

They all walk the walk. People are just not hearing the message. Do the work. Do the work. Do the work. Do the work.

Here

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Sep 6, 2019
I have a particular distaste for the gurus and their cults. For the longest while it prevented me creating courses. Now I want to take them on.
If you’re creating courses then def create them the way Mark Dawson does. He’s in the self publishing space and is the most honest course creator you can find. Somehow he still earns good money.

MoreVolume

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Oct 6, 2016
NC
What does Dan Lok even do?
Like what did he succeed in to give him the capital and knowledge to do what he does today?

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
I completely defend Dan Lok and all the other fake gurus

At the end of the day, 'fake' gurus are on the Fastlane and if anyone is stupid enough to spend $6k on a get rich quick course, the fake guru is doing a service to society by taking that money off their hands, because god knows where else they could spend that $6k on if they didn't find the course (drugs? criminal activity?)

These are grown men, age 21-35 (sometimes older) who have access to the internet, and have at least went through high school in the 1st world.

There is no elaborate emotional or sophisticated scheme/manipulation going on, at the end of the day, these people are DESPERATE, so they will fall for THE MOST BASIC OF TACTICS....hence why you see all these stupid ads like "I'm A Hot 19 Year Old College Girl Looking For Someone Like You To Sleep With" or "I'm Making $400,000 A Year Without Doing Any Work, Spend $1997 And Find Out How I Did It" ----- even a child could easily see through this BS, so why do internet marketers spend thousands of dollars on these stupid ads?

---> BECAUSE THEY WORK <---

Fake gurus only need ONE condition to thrive: a group of desperate, frustrated people looking for anything that can improve their status in society. These people do not need sophisticated emotional ploys to be influenced, they are so desperate that they will force themselves to believe in the story because they HOPE for a better status in life and to feel significant without doing the work required.

And if you guys are going to reply angrily to me for defending these fake gurus, what about your College Professors, Presidents, Prime Ministers, Popes, Priests, Parents, what about the millions of fake gurus in the world who scam you every day? Why don't you focus on them since they actually have a greater impact?

Internet gurus like Tai Lopez and Dan Pena are only notorious because of the nature of the things they are selling. Some of you guys really think (laughably) that there will be a day when most people will use their common sense and stop buying from fake gurus, WRONG.

Where there is a market of desperate, bored, lonely and frustrated individuals, there will always be an abundant supply of gurus ready to sell them on their hopes and dreams.
You sound like the kind of guy to keep wrong change that’s in your favor.

Because F*ck it it’s the cashiers fault they shouldn’t have f*cked up.

If you defend people that take advantage of others regardless of mental state, then you have no businesses being in business.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
^^^

I do feel sorry for the people getting fleeced. The gurus doing it know exactly what they’re doing (and I’m not saying Dan Lok is... I don’t know his stuff).

The thing about Masterclass for me is it’s mostly creative work like film/scriptwriting/etc.

I’m only interested in maybe one or two courses.

Yes I find it a disgusting way to do business. But for a person to call it a scam is reaching for me. I don’t think many of the courses are scams. I think that they target people who probably won’t follow through.

Maybe not “scam” in the literal sense but it’s certainly manipulative. I think you’re just arguing semantics here.

Buying a product and not using it is not the same as making claims about a service and targeting desperate people knowing full well that 99% of them will fail.

I’ve heard from people that torrented the course for FREE that said it was trash.

The course isn’t the product, the GURU is. You’re buying a NAME.

It doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out that on first glance he's like a guru-anti-guru. He is preying on those who fell through the cracks and hate these so called gurus and posts youtube videos for views to profit on ad dollars because he knows there are people who don't get it. So the guru-anti-guru is actually all the same as the rest.

The only difference is... He is making these people who don't want to do the actual hard work required for success feel good about their laziness by preying on their hate for the 'gurus'.
I don’t think he’s preying on them, he’s just giving them a voice.

Someone else said victims are too embarrassed to come out and admit they got scammed.

And how do we know this guy didn’t bust his a$$ trying to make it work?

Cause he wears a beanie on a YouTube interview?

He’s not selling anything, and has no course or product/service.

D

DeletedUser0287

Lol at people that sell courses here defending themselves.

People in this space selling courses prevent chargebacks by saying it is all the consumers fault.
“You didn’t work hard enough.”
“Your results may vary.”
“No guarantees.”

Any lash back against the guru/course seller gets turned back on the consumers fault.

The truth is that 99% of these people will fail and you know it. You can justify to yourself that you are being authentic and shit, but I can see right through it. If you course sellers didn’t state this you would have a 99% chargeback rate.

DaDream

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Apr 24, 2019
Miami Florida
That is a 57-minute video. Clicked into a few spots and it just seems like total rambling.

Can you give an actual breakdown?

Also on a side note, this dude is dressed horribly. If you are going to drop 5-10k on a sales program then at least try to wear a t-shirt that fits and take off your massive beanie.

---

Okay clicked to around 48 minutes in:

How they came up with the $26,000 lost figure is:
- Spent 2,500 on course.
- Spent 2k on upsell
- 6 months in his group at @200 a month
- Spent 1k on trip

Also added in 6 months without working for 2200 a month.

I don't know where they added in the other 6k.

So he took a course and then did nothing for 6 months.
Turns out he thinks the course sucks but... what did he do?

I am not a fan of Dan Lok at all but these gurus attract the exact people who are attracted to his instant-success-no-work-needed-marketing. The blame is equal on both sides.

---

These courses are hyped BS but people got to take a look in the mirror also. What were they hoping for and what were they going to do with what they learned?

This is like seeing someone buy a $5,000 treadmill, then not use it, and then complain the treadmill was a scam.
1) You didn't have to buy it. There are lots of other paid and free options.
2) You never even used it. Watching the treadmill instructional video doesn't count.

I wouldn't call this a scam - it is overpriced content you can get elsewhere for free or cheap.
I'd call it people making rash choices and then blaming others for their own lack of control/effort.

The other 6k came from how teachers get paid. Apparently at the beginning of the year they get paid a full hourly rate. If they are hired towards the end of the year the rate is half. I don't know if that's how it works but that was the claim.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
If you’re creating courses then def create them the way Mark Dawson does. He’s in the self publishing space and is the most honest course creator you can find. Somehow he still earns good money.
Thanks for the heads up. I did a quick search to see how he comes across just from the content found on Google.

It’s interesting how I trust people a bit more when the video production isn’t perfect and they’re wearing headphones and the lighting isn’t perfect. (Although I’m aware some people may well do that deliberately to be more “authentic”.)

I even discussed this with a friend recently. I was advised by someone to not record my YouTube videos with my “astronaut headphones” on, how that advice stopped me recording for a few weeks, how I think that was the wrong advice because I use the headphones when I’m working so should do exactly what I do when I’m working.

I haven’t watched Mark Dawson at all yet. It’s interesting how I’m curious just from seeing the thumbnails of his YouTube videos:

9BB1882A-A1A2-4C14-B106-6F191337FB61.png

Interesting how these thumbnails instill me with trust:

BCB2826C-183E-4A43-9240-4AA873CFD20E.png

Interesting how these thumbnails do the opposite:

A7CB80A9-5538-4F91-8EE0-0E441EB0ED67.png

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
How To Spot A Fake Guru

1. They are offering a free seminar/webinar with secret info that nobody knows!!!!

2. They ask you if you like money.

3. They ask you what you will spend your money on when you are rich.

4. They tell you that people who talk down about them are naysayers and losers.

5. Their content doesn't actually tell you anything at all, it just goes round and round telling you how great it is.

6. They make you aware of at least one picture/video of them in front of "their" Bentley/private plane/mansion.

7. They imply their rudeness and arrogance is what made them so successful, and encourage you to be the same.

8. They tell you that your friends and family who do not get on board with you doing their course are losers who don't understand and should be ditched.

9. There will always be one more, super secret, dynamite, money-printing course that once you take you will be as rich as Jeff Bezos.

10. They imply that it is spending money, and not working that will get you to accomplish your dreams.

11. When you analyse what actionable information you've learned on their courses and in their seminars, you will come up with a big fat zero.

12. Their followers come across as fanatical and/or unhinged.

13. When you search them online, all you can find is stuff on their courses and not anything about their previous business successes.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe

Ya, I hinted at this - this same "victim" is getting played again here.

This guy interviewing him plays him like a fiddle to make him look like the biggest idiot possible. He puts words in his mouth and leads him around to make the best "outrage" video possible.

Since this guy, "the victim", has a mindset of someone else is to blame it also means he places his own control in the hands of other people. If you blame other people for things that go bad all the time it all means you rely on other people for things to go well also. You can't have one without the other - either you accept control of yourself or you don't.

That is why this interviewer can play him so easy, the same way Dan's sales funnel did - he has a mindset of zero internal control. He lets others decide what to do/think/feel.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
They are offering a free seminar/webinar with secret info that nobody knows!!!!
You just hit two of my red flag words in one sentence: “webinar” and “secret”.

It’s a recording ffs. Anyone can see that. Or is this like the Nigerian Prince scam where the story is deliberately so unbelievable and the grammar so bad that it’s designed to separate the gullible from the herd?

Same as the word “secret”. I think that’s designed to get their market to raise their hand.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
What does Dan Lok even do?
Like what did he succeed in to give him the capital and knowledge to do what he does today?
Some in quora said that he is an owner of a 300k revenue per year internet business that teach people playing pingpong.

He claimed that he makes 5 digits monthly via copywriting.

There is no question that he is making big money now given his fan base and so many students signing up his premium courses.

I think what people are questioning if this is another “Tai Lopez”, someone who made 95 percent of wealth as a business coach, but somehow misrepresenting how successful they are before they start “business education” as a business.

I think it is reasonably safe to assume he got his first million through business effort of his own before he started coaching.

What I am going to say next will be wild guess for sure. Seeing how he spend his money on youtube advertising it seems that he started off with quite some money to be able to risk it, with elaborate crew and mansion set ups. You just cannot have the ball to burn hundred of thousands to test a market by being only a millionaire.

But it seems forever unclear on how he made his first 50 million before he starts his coaching business.

I think my best guess is that his wealth leaped from 2 million to 50 million by marrying a rich wife. He seems pretty henpecked.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
Who makes a full-time channel about exposing frauds?
Mike Winnet, which many people here like and was a successful entrepreneur who sold his company and now has a YouTube channel exposing gurus?

Maybe MJ should redact all the guru bashing in his book for fear of being an “anti-guru”.

SEBASTlAN

Marketing Wizard
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Dec 22, 2014
Los Angeles
When I was down and out a few years back making like 25k a year as a personal trainer I looked for help. I found:

Pat Flynn which led me to MJ DeMarco which led me to learn software engineering, which led me to John Sonmez which led me to Grant Cardone which by this time put me into retargeting campaigns of all the gurus. I found Ed Mylett (or he found me) which led me to Andy Frisella which led me to....Dan Lok, Gary Vaynerchuk you get the point.

But their free content was always enough and I was actually understanding what they were saying and it was changing my mindset. It worked. The problem is people become success zombies.

They think they need to hear the next podcast or buy the next course or etc. The reality is you just need to the F*cking work. Now I really only pay attention to:

MJ - because of the forum and he opened my eyes to scalability.
Grant Cardone - Because I like his swag and his message. Similar confidence.
Andy Frisella - Same kind of swag and mental attitude/fortitude.

I don't clamor for the next episode of anything for them and I only listen if I have truly free time (taking a sh*t, for instance)

I'm not even sure where I'm going with this except that I think that people who're comfortable call these people gurus mainly because they're too lazy to do the hard work or too thick-skulled to hear what they're actually saying.

Most people who get caught up like this guy did in the video was likely just super lazy. and when 8 months after Dan Lok's thing - he wasn't a millionaire he started bitching and calling him a worthless guru.

Thoughts? @biophase @Tourmaline @Andy Black

Also - If anyone thinks most of these guys haven't walked the talk, you're also missing the message of 'do the work'

Grant Cardone - 9 figure real estate business
Andy Frisella - 9 figure supplement/nutrition company
Gary V - 8-9 figure(?) marketing agency
Dan Lok - (not sure of his story, but I'm sure the message is similar)
John Sonmez - 7 figure blog
MJ DeMarco - 7-8 figure sofrware business

They all walk the walk. People are just not hearing the message. Do the work. Do the work. Do the work. Do the work.
It's not hard to build a supplement company with a ton of hype and sponsorships.

99% of them (including the guy you mentioned) are made up of low quality/unscientific supplements. With the exception of Mike Matthews, I wouldn't look to any of them as a source of inspiration or admiration.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Mike Winnet, which many people here like and was a successful entrepreneur who sold his company and now has a YouTube channel exposing gurus?

Maybe MJ should redact all the guru bashing in his book for fear of being an “anti-guru”.

Not what I was saying at all - you went off on your own mental tangent there.

I will just remove that section and write it here in more detail.

@Lex DeVille has a great anti-guru thread, and of course, MJ has covered this as well. I am fully for that (obviously - I call people out on this all the time also) but this is just a small percentage of what these guys do. The rest of their content is extremely positive and actionable advice.

I am referring to channels that are all about "exposing" gurus/other stuff. I just think it is ironic - they have clickbait titles and thumbnails, they are edited to create max outrage, and they go so far the other way I find them equally hard to trust.

That is just my personal preference though. I also don't like news channels, newspapers, outrage media etc. I like keeping up to date but I don't like someone trying to play me emotionally - which is what I feel a lot of these "anti-guru" videos are designed to do.

There is a big difference between someone occasionally calling things out cause they have become aware of something versus someone who is doing it all the time and is building an audience based just around that.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
Not what I was saying at all - you went off on your own mental tangent there.

I will just remove that section and write it here in more detail.

@Lex DeVille has a great anti-guru thread, and of course, MJ has covered this as well. I am fully for that (obviously - I call people out on this all the time also) but this is just a small percentage of what these guys do. The rest of their content is extremely positive and actionable advice.

I am referring to channels that are all about "exposing" gurus/other stuff. I just think it is ironic - they have clickbait titles and thumbnails, they are edited to create max outrage, and they go so far the other way I find them equally hard to trust.

That is just my personal preference though. I also don't like news channels, newspapers, outrage media etc. I like keeping up to date but I don't like someone trying to play me emotionally - which is what I feel a lot of these "anti-guru" videos are designed to do.

There is a big difference between someone occasionally calling things out cause they have become aware of something versus someone who is doing it all the time and is building an audience based just around that.
I see what you mean and agree for the most part.

In my opinion these anti gurus are doing a service. You’re not going to spend $10k on an anti guru.

Though they could mention real alternatives to turn to who actually walk the walk like MJ.

GrayCode

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
399%
Nov 23, 2015
It's not hard to build a supplement company with a ton of hype and sponsorships.

99% of them (including the guy you mentioned) are made up of low quality/unscientific supplements. With the exception of Mike Matthews, I wouldn't look to any of them as a source of inspiration or admiration.
Thanks for the advice.

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
Thanks for the heads up. I did a quick search to see how he comes across just from the content found on Google.

It’s interesting how I trust people a bit more when the video production isn’t perfect and they’re wearing headphones and the lighting isn’t perfect. (Although I’m aware some people may well do that deliberately to be more “authentic”.)

I even discussed this with a friend recently. I was advised by someone to not record my YouTube videos with my “astronaut headphones” on, how that advice stopped me recording for a few weeks, how I think that was the wrong advice because I use the headphones when I’m working so should do exactly what I do when I’m working.

I haven’t watched Mark Dawson at all yet. It’s interesting how I’m curious just from seeing the thumbnails of his YouTube videos:

View attachment 29101

Interesting how these thumbnails instill me with trust:

View attachment 29103

Interesting how these thumbnails do the opposite:

View attachment 29102
So true.
The 1-1 mentor vs multi-guru.
Personally I like a mix of the in the trenches look and production.

Sometimes people have good content and I literally can’t hear them because the audio is so crappy or their screen is pixelated from poor video conversion etc

James Klymus

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 28, 2018
Chicago, Illinois
I stopped paying attention to the whole guru scene earlier this year. And every time I see this on the forum, its akin to us gossiping about the Kardashians.

I realized that none of these people have any effect on my life, business, or relationships so I stopped listening. It was a distraction from my actual work and goals.

And it's the same message over and over again, and when a different person comes along, it's their version of the same message. I'm jaded at this point, and I've heard it all.

Plus, I've probably lost more money than this guy on "guru coaching" and courses, it doesn't feel good to know i was naive, but I learned and am better for it. I haven't watched the video, but If the guy is so upset about losing his money like that, then he probably isn't cut out for entrepreneurship anyways.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
is this like the Nigerian Prince scam where the story is deliberately so unbelievable and the grammar so bad that it’s designed to separate the gullible from the herd?

I think so, they realise that certain people react to certain words and scenarios. The ones that react to the most improbable ones are primed to be fleeced.

But it seems forever unclear on how he made his first 50 million before he starts his coaching business.
That's almost definitely because he didn't (or even hasn't) made 50 million before starting, or since.

And every time I see this on the forum, its akin to us gossiping about the Kardashians.

I'm a fan of a good analogy, and that's a great one!

Plus, I've probably lost more money than this guy on "guru coaching" and courses, it doesn't feel good to know i was naive, but I learned and am better for it.

Mistakes are only that if you don't learn from them. You've learned, you've grown, and now you're better for it.

GrayCode

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
399%
Nov 23, 2015
Ya, I hinted at this - this same "victim" is getting played again here.

This guy interviewing him plays him like a fiddle to make him look like the biggest idiot possible. He puts words in his mouth and leads him around to make the best "outrage" video possible.

Since this guy, "the victim", has a mindset of someone else is to blame it also means he places his own control in the hands of other people. If you blame other people for things that go bad all the time it all means you rely on other people for things to go well also. You can't have one without the other - either you accept control of yourself or you don't.

That is why this interviewer can play him so easy, the same way Dan's sales funnel did - he has a mindset of zero internal control. He lets others decide what to do/think/feel.
Exactly. The important thing here is that I don't think people realize the problem isn't with Dan Lok, it's with this person. Just because he didn't become an instant success after spending what he calls 26k on w.e he spent it on, doesn't mean the advice isn't actionable.

He takes no responsibility outside of saying he should have never done it. The anti-guru interviewing him backs up his poisonous mindset to make him feel right and keep the interview going. This guy is soft.

He doesn't have a winner mentality. He'll likely never make it outside of a 9-5, unless of course he spins up a youtube channel to become the next anti-guru AND round and round goes the merry-go-round.

It's only a matter of time until ...
Though they could mention real alternatives to turn to who actually walk the walk like MJ.
@PizzaOnTheRoof This is the anti-guru upsell. "I'll show you real alternatives" or "follow-me, I saw through the bullshit and I'm successful, I'll show you how"

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.