The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

That "ONE SECRET", Your Best Advice for the Aspiring Entrepreneur

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Sneaky second post, and the most important learning for me this year so far:

You are your biggest obstacle

We all have the "I am not enough" gene (evolution favours species with that gene).

*BUT*... that "I am not enough" gene will be with you at EVERY STEP of your journey.

Whenever you feel it whispering to you, just say:

I am enough.​

... because I said so​

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Iwokeup

Aut viam invenium aut faciam
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
1) What are you more frightened of? Trying and failing? Or not trying and ending your life poor, alone, and full of regret and fear?
2) Start today to live that life that you want tomorrow. Life isn't as endless as you think.
3) Think "How can I scale?", not "How can I replace my job?" (More money for the same time is still a job)

EDIT: If I can re-word 1, it would go like this:

Choose to Give a F*ck about the Things That Matter. All else doesn't matter in the scheme of things, you know?

Last edited:

splok

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Jul 20, 2012
This one concept has affected my life more than any other.
YOU, and no one else, are 100% responsible for every single aspect of your life, good or bad.
Even though this obviously isn't true, your life will be far better it you believe it anyway.

DrPenguin

Penning Bodice Rippers
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Oct 25, 2014
Tokyo
Obsessing over ONE thing until completion = Success.

Action is the best teacher.

Write down your goals. Make a plan for how to achieve them. Then getting working on them.

"I must do the most productive thing possible at every given moment." - Tom Hopkins

DrPenguin

Penning Bodice Rippers
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Oct 25, 2014
Tokyo
A few more I just have to add. These are the quotes that have resonated the most with me:

1. "The most that any one of us can seem to do is to fashion something – an object or ourselves – and drop it into the confusion, make an offering of it, so to speak, to the life force. - Ernest Becker, The Denial of Death

2. "
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the assessment that something else is more important than fear." -Franklin Roosevelt

3. Some people have been on the ride for a long time, and they begin to question, “Is this real, or is this just a ride?” And other people have remembered, and they come back to us and they say, “Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride.”’
- Bill Hicks

4. Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. - Jack Kerouac

axiom

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Dec 6, 2014
There’s the life you want, and there’s the one you have. The secret that only the extremely successful know is that the only barrier between the two is yourself.

Formless

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 27, 2013

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I have read every one of your responses, and I'm thankful for the answers thus far.

Remember to vote by using the like button on your favorite posts. It has been very hard for me not to vote... But I didn't want to swing any outcomes.

Keep them coming. They're literally are some life-changing posts in this thread already.

Thiago Machado

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
May 20, 2014
"You can't connect the dots looking forward you can only connect them looking backwards. So you have to trust that the dots will somehow connect in your future. You have to trust in something: your gut, destiny, life, karma, whatever. Because believing that the dots will connect down the road will give you the confidence to follow your heart, even when it leads you off the well worn path." - Steve Jobs

I think this quote is applicable to the situation in which these students are going through.

These people are seeking continuing education, entrepreneurship, and other means to promote personal growth and enhance their lives.

They're hungry.

They want to succeed.

Just being in that classroom and listening to you talk is a sign that they wan't more out of life.

It is a sign of seriousness, commitment, and an efficient use of their time.

Here's how I see this quote...

"You can't connect the dots looking forward you can only connect them looking backwards. So you have to trust that the dots will somehow connect in your future."

Most of these people have probably wasted a lot of time working a slowlane job or were wantrepreneurs in the past. They "thought" they were on the right path. They followed all the rules and didn't get the results they wanted.

This part of Job's speech is a way of telling them to look back and see where they messed up. Because they can't move forward if they continue to make the same mistakes over and over again. Hopefully, by correcting and learning from them, the lessons that they took from these mistakes will somehow "connect in their future".

"You have to trust in something: your gut, destiny, life, karma, whatever."

You need to believe in yourself, your business, your goals, and that the actions that you take every single day will be small steps that will move you forward to where you want to be in life.

"Because believing that the dots will connect down the road will give you the confidence to follow your heart, even when it leads you off the well worn path."

When they look back and see their mistakes, and fix them, learn from them, set goals, move on, take action, and believe in themselves, there on the right track, right?

Sort of...

There's more too it...

See, sometimes things may not be how you envisioned them to be. Entrepreneurship isn't a bag of sunshine. They will be faced with obstacles and challenges that they've never encountered before. But hey, no one ever said it would be easy. And if it were, then everybody would be doing it. At the end of the day, you need to fight through it and keep moving forward.

"Because believing that the dots will connect down the road will give you the confidence to follow your heart, even when it leads you off the well worn path."

(I had to repeat it)

If you can take lessons from your past failures and apply them to your life, you will most likely "fail less". You will become smarter, as well as more aware of yourself and your abilities. Your mindset will change. You will see the world differently. And I believe that in this case, the "well worn path" can be something else...

It can be ENTREPRENURSHIP.

A path that only a few people are willing to take.

It is a "well worn path" for those who have a fixed, slowlane mentality.

A "well worn path" for those who aren't brave enough to take risks.

And a "well worn path" for those who value "job security" over freedom.

The millionaire fastlane and this exact quote has impacted my life in many ways, and I think this quote easily resonates with the audience that you will be speaking too.

I think a lot of us know what they've been through.

We can "feel their pain".

This is just my 2 cents on it.

I look forward to reading everybody's quotes. (Everyday I learn something new from you guys).

Thanks.

Thiago Machado

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
May 20, 2014
*** I do apologize for making this so big.

I just had a hard time explaining everything in short words. (I know I was supposed too, but I figured this might help someone) haha.

It seems like I'm the only one who exaggerated, (so if you guys want, I can cut this down).

Thanks.

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013
I wanted to quote the late Greg Plitt because he will remain my all-time motivator to break down my own self-imposed limitations:

(1)
tumblr_mg9mofwRNu1rjrmhlo1_500.gif

(2)
tumblr_mrkk9iULFE1sfdt3mo1_500.gif

(3)
b35b1e237b4b853d1d7605d5582d5cfd.jpg

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
"Money is like a cat. If you chase the cat, you'll never catch it. If you focus on what attracts the cat, the tuna, it will come to you."

I don't know if I got the quote exactly right. But that cat metaphor from TMF has stuck in my head like nothing else. This little contest aside, I believe you need to somehow incorporate that. People go their entire lives having a fundamentally flawed view of obtaining wealth.

---

Also, I don't know how anyone could think the ball's air pressure had an outcome on that blowout of a game. But since you're a Dallas fan, I know you're used to having excuses for anything, so I suppose I'll give it a pass and move on. ;)
My favorite too.
Also, my own "When you're driving at speed, don't let your passengers start yanking on the steering wheel."

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013
EDIT: nevermind, I removed this to not hijack this thread with other topics :p :tiphat:

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I love the cat quote, the tuna story (eat the bait, or hook the tuna?), and all the Black Friday posts from producers rather than consumers.

It would be interesting to see which quotes/stories/one-liners resonated the most with the students.

Ma Co

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
362%
Apr 2, 2012
Vietnam
“The best kept secret in the global economy today is this: When your service is awesome, you get so stinking rich you have to buy new bags to carry all the money home.”
- Tom Peters

If you learn the skills of people who make $20 I guess you can make $20 an hr. If you learn the skills that can make you millions, then...well, you get the point
-- Jay Abraham

"When you're externally focused, when you're connected and compelled to make the experience of the transaction better for the other side than even for you, you cannot help but succeed at higher levels than you ever dreamed possible"
-- Jay Abraham

Maxjohan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Mar 26, 2011
Well. Do we have to be orginal?

I would just say. "Who here have heard about CENTS?" Then go over them and recommend MJ DeMarco's book. A few will buy the book and have a much greater chance to hitting the fastlane.

But I don't know if it's a good fit for small businesses. But I would surely appreciate it.

Last edited by a moderator:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Since this is an intro class, I'd stick with the cat/tuna thingy. If I was going to speak, this is what I'd say:

You can survey the class before starting...

How many are here because they're tired of working for some corporation? (Most of the hands raise.)
How many are here because they want to be their own boss? (Some raise)
How many are here because they want a chance to work at home and not fight traffic? (Some raise)
How many are here because they want to get filthy stinking rich!? (Many raise)
How many are here because they'd like to earn a passive income?! (Some raise)
How many are here because they'd like a new career?! (Some raise)
How many are here to follow their passion or do what they love? (Some raise)

Great.

Because NONE OF THAT SHIT will help you succeed at entrepreneurship.

Then go into the cat/tuna (money/value) paradigm and how most miss the boat.

My second choice would be @IceCreamKid first post and how everything boils down to an event/process relationship.

luck-to-process.jpg

Last edited:

randomnumber314

speed of a drunk camel
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Jan 7, 2014
Minnesoooota,USA
Many people ask, "How do I make millions?" The answer is obvious, no one can answer that, there is no answer. The reality is that making millions, being an entrepreneur is twisting winding road of unclear decisions that eventually leads to the goal--and this road is wrought with more questions, more decisions, and risk--but you have to travel the road, you can't just look at the map.

edit: I think @MJ DeMarco's raging river analogy should be part of the class for sure.

randomnumber314

speed of a drunk camel
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Jan 7, 2014
Minnesoooota,USA
Then go into the (money/value) paradigm and how most miss the boat.

I don't want to derail the thread, but what cat/tuna paradigm?

Post your paraphrase and take away of the raging river.

Most people ask an experienced entrepreneur, "how do I make millions," the problem is an experienced entrepreneur knows there is no single answer to that question. The reality lies in different expectations: experience teaches someone you have to take action and struggle to learn; inexperience leads many to believe there is a step-by-step list somewhere to making it in business--this is not true, and the only way to learn how to make millions is to try and fail, and try again, and eventually you know enough that you get to your goal.

I'm not good at summaries ;)

EDIT: Mj's thread https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/threads/the-beautiful-roses-and-the-raging-river.52460/

Last edited by a moderator:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Alan LT

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Nov 1, 2014
South Florida
"The men who can manage men manage the men who can manage only things, and the men who can manage money manage all" - Will Durant

"It takes far more energy and work to improve from incompetence to mediocrity than it takes to improve from first-rate performance to excellence" - Peter F. Drucker

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.