The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Teaching My Productivity System as an Online Course

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

BlackLynx

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
279%
Jan 21, 2019
Belgium
This is the progress thread on my launching a productivity course.

BACKGROUND: I own a cybersecurity company - am quite busy and I regularly post about my cybersecurity services on LinkedIn. This is a side hustle that has shown much more potential than any of the services I am constantly promoting. Over the last 20 years I have created and fine-tuned my own productivity system. I kept the things that worked and threw out the things that didn't work. The system also has a physical manifestation - as I go about my day and complete certain milestones I'm building a tower in "Lego Duplo" bricks every single day.

I was looking at something to keep track of my progress and I happen to have small kids so I stole their bricks :)

IMG_5161.jpg

People are very curious about this tower I have on my desk and I always explain it's "my productivity system". I thought it was highly tailored to my situation and it would never translate but I taught the system to one of my colleagues and it seemed to be working for him as well. Very impulsively - about a month ago- I made a LinkedIn post about perhaps creating a pilot course teaching this method.

A day later - I had 25 people signed up to be in the pilot group - and about 10 people on a waiting list.

So I got to creating. I created about 2,5 hours of content - distributed over 12 modules.
The first students are reaching the end of the course and the feedback is -frankly- incredible. Not only are they delighted with the content - they are now all sitting with a Duplo tower on their desk and finding that the method is also adding value to their lives as well.

I once created a speed-reading course - didn't know what to do with it and put it on Udemy. I launched it for 100$ and nobody bought the course.
I put it on for free - and in 2 weeks I had 4000 people subscribe. I put it on sale for 50$ and subscriptions dropped to zero again. I vowed never to make that mistake again.

So I guess I'm in a luxury position. I seem to have created a digital product with proven value.
It's a digital product but with a material manifestation (the tower of bricks on people's desks) which seems to work as marketing as well.

I know a bit about marketing but am by no means an expert. I have no clue about price setting (was thinking about the 150$ range) - building a community around this - etc ..

So I'm hoping to drink from the fountain of wisdom from guys like @Andy Black , @Fox , @Cameraman , @lowtek and ofc @Lex DeVille

Next up is
- Collecting feedback from the pilot group and checking if I don't have to redo some modules
- Building a landing page for the course with the possibility to buy access to the course
- Setting up social media accounts for the course + closed Facebook Course Alumni group
- Creating a LinkedIn post on how people are over the moon with the course and inviting them to join my waiting list
- Also thinking about creating a "productivity podcast"

For people interested in the course itself : here's the link to the waiting list : BLACKLYNX Email Marketing -

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Mikkel

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
That sounds very intresting!

I don't want to post a link or name drop without permission from mods, but I grew up with a guy who currently has a class on how to sell services like this. He's sold two 7 figure businesses and is on his third business now.

I never took this course as it is not in my realm of intrest, but I signed up for his newsletter and also subscribed for his free material which seem well done. I have no idea the cost of this product but it may be of intrest as this is the type of projects he works with people on.

Once again, I don't want to post unless it is approved.

Either way, awesome job so far!

The visuals of your lego's might be eye catching enough on other social media platforms as well. Once you have your modules fleshed out, it may be worth trying to advertise on those sites.

Anyone on IG or TikTok needs a serious lesson on productivity!

BlackLynx

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
279%
Jan 21, 2019
Belgium
Either way, awesome job so far!

Thanks, if nothing else we can agree the response on this one LinkedIn post proves there's an enormous problem out there.

People are OVERWHELMED. The constant non-stop barrage of notifications. Companies trying to grab your attention.
There's a need for simplification.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Moved outside at the request of @BlackLynx as he/she believes it will help more people on the outside.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
This is the progress thread on my launching a productivity course.

BACKGROUND: I own a cybersecurity company - am quite busy and I regularly post about my cybersecurity services on LinkedIn. This is a side hustle that has shown much more potential than any of the services I am constantly promoting. Over the last 20 years I have created and fine-tuned my own productivity system. I kept the things that worked and threw out the things that didn't work. The system also has a physical manifestation - as I go about my day and complete certain milestones I'm building a tower in "Lego Duplo" bricks every single day.

I was looking at something to keep track of my progress and I happen to have small kids so I stole their bricks :)

View attachment 45772

People are very curious about this tower I have on my desk and I always explain it's "my productivity system". I thought it was highly tailored to my situation and it would never translate but I taught the system to one of my colleagues and it seemed to be working for him as well. Very impulsively - about a month ago- I made a LinkedIn post about perhaps creating a pilot course teaching this method.

A day later - I had 25 people signed up to be in the pilot group - and about 10 people on a waiting list.

So I got to creating. I created about 2,5 hours of content - distributed over 12 modules.
The first students are reaching the end of the course and the feedback is -frankly- incredible. Not only are they delighted with the content - they are now all sitting with a Duplo tower on their desk and finding that the method is also adding value to their lives as well.

I once created a speed-reading course - didn't know what to do with it and put it on Udemy. I launched it for 100$ and nobody bought the course.
I put it on for free - and in 2 weeks I had 4000 people subscribe. I put it on sale for 50$ and subscriptions dropped to zero again. I vowed never to make that mistake again.

So I guess I'm in a luxury position. I seem to have created a digital product with proven value.
It's a digital product but with a material manifestation (the tower of bricks on people's desks) which seems to work as marketing as well.

I know a bit about marketing but am by no means an expert. I have no clue about price setting (was thinking about the 150$ range) - building a community around this - etc ..

So I'm hoping to drink from the fountain of wisdom from guys like @Andy Black , @Fox , @Cameraman , @lowtek and ofc @Lex DeVille

Next up is
- Collecting feedback from the pilot group and checking if I don't have to redo some modules
- Building a landing page for the course with the possibility to buy access to the course
- Setting up social media accounts for the course + closed Facebook Course Alumni group
- Creating a LinkedIn post on how people are over the moon with the course and inviting them to join my waiting list
- Also thinking about creating a "productivity podcast"
Nice LinkedIn post. I did something similar on Facebook (and LinkedIn) here:

BlackLynx

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
279%
Jan 21, 2019
Belgium
There's a lot going through my mind at the moment. So I'm going to try to regroup in this post and try to list what needs to happen now.

THE COURSE
The pilot group (25 people) are still going through the course as we speak. From the 25 that have started about 4 have reached the end and 2 of them have sent a mail with feedback. I thought I was going to refilm a few modules but that does not seem necessary. They are happy and the "system" is working for them.

I am going to invite all pilot group attendees into a closed Facebook group - where they can discuss concepts they learned and their progress with the course materials. Not sure whether to invite them AFTER the course or DURING the course. I am also going to send them a form to help me organise the feedback. Right now they are all over the place - as you can imagine (Thanks for the Google Forms tip @Andy Black )

Tomorrow I will work with someone to set up the landing page for the course - the LMS it's on and the payment system. This is just from a technical perspective to make sure that if someone wants to buy it - everything is automated etc.

CREATING COMMUNITY

The Facebook closed group is an obvious first step. Then I'll create a Facebook page for the course and I'll set up a link to the waiting list. You might have noticed I gravitate towards technical execution. I love automating stuff but I have to make sure I don't get lost in the automation.

PRICE SETTING

This is a topic I'm struggling with. In my mind it's a 150$ course. It's 2,5 hours of material - 150 seems reasonable. On the other hand - getting access to a community and having a system that allows you to keep focus might be worth more. The latest thinking is to offer it for 495$ - throw in some exercise templates - Group coaching calls

MARKETING

There's a few avenues I feel comfortable to explore - I'm not sure my customers are on Tiktok or Instagram. But they're definitely on LinkedIn and Facebook. Of course it's a bit weird I'm also promoting cybersecurity services on those channels as well.

I'm looking to start a podcast around productivity - I am going to try to interview business leaders and accomplished authors on their work habits and how they deal with sensory overload.

Today I'm also going to try my hand at copywriting and write a marketing email for the course (based on a template from another course)

ADVICE

Received some advice I should check out Russell Brunson's Clickfunnels - so that is also on my to do list

Let's do this !

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
There's a lot going through my mind at the moment. So I'm going to try to regroup in this post and try to list what needs to happen now.

THE COURSE
The pilot group (25 people) are still going through the course as we speak. From the 25 that have started about 4 have reached the end and 2 of them have sent a mail with feedback. I thought I was going to refilm a few modules but that does not seem necessary. They are happy and the "system" is working for them.

I am going to invite all pilot group attendees into a closed Facebook group - where they can discuss concepts they learned and their progress with the course materials. Not sure whether to invite them AFTER the course or DURING the course. I am also going to send them a form to help me organise the feedback. Right now they are all over the place - as you can imagine (Thanks for the Google Forms tip @Andy Black )

Tomorrow I will work with someone to set up the landing page for the course - the LMS it's on and the payment system. This is just from a technical perspective to make sure that if someone wants to buy it - everything is automated etc.

CREATING COMMUNITY

The Facebook closed group is an obvious first step. Then I'll create a Facebook page for the course and I'll set up a link to the waiting list. You might have noticed I gravitate towards technical execution. I love automating stuff but I have to make sure I don't get lost in the automation.

PRICE SETTING

This is a topic I'm struggling with. In my mind it's a 150$ course. It's 2,5 hours of material - 150 seems reasonable. On the other hand - getting access to a community and having a system that allows you to keep focus might be worth more. The latest thinking is to offer it for 495$ - throw in some exercise templates - Group coaching calls

MARKETING

There's a few avenues I feel comfortable to explore - I'm not sure my customers are on Tiktok or Instagram. But they're definitely on LinkedIn and Facebook. Of course it's a bit weird I'm also promoting cybersecurity services on those channels as well.

I'm looking to start a podcast around productivity - I am going to try to interview business leaders and accomplished authors on their work habits and how they deal with sensory overload.

Today I'm also going to try my hand at copywriting and write a marketing email for the course (based on a template from another course)

ADVICE

Received some advice I should check out Russell Brunson's Clickfunnels - so that is also on my to do list

Let's do this !
Check out New Zenler. That's what I use.

BlackLynx

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
279%
Jan 21, 2019
Belgium
Check out New Zenler. That's what I use.

I'm using an ERP system called Odoo - it has an LMS module which would be great because every single sale would get correctly auto-invoiced. But the New Zenler looks amazing !

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I'm using an ERP system called Odoo - it has an LMS module which would be great because every single sale would get correctly auto-invoiced. But the New Zenler looks amazing !
Ah. I'm not sure how well NZ handles VAT. It didn't before and I've not checked it.

BlackLynx

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
279%
Jan 21, 2019
Belgium
The LMS I was using does not have the option to create fully customizable landing pages - did some digging and decided to host the course on Thinkific.

It's one of the few LMS'es that actually host the video. Meaning people cannot distribute your course by getting your YouTube URL and spreading it. Feels safer.

Course is transferred and set up on Thinkific. Am I allowed to post the URL ? Prob not :)

Last edited:

informedconsent

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
54%
Jun 4, 2022
Enjoyed reading this thread and curious if you have any updates. It seems to have been going in a positive direction! Did you get your pricing down? It really depends on who you're targeting including what their income level is and what they're willing to pay. I've noticed to course are typically offered at specific numbers, not rounded ones--I think there's some field of marketing psychology or other studies things like this. So if you did want to sell at $150, it seems like it looks better when it's offered at $149.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.