The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Taking on Multiple Full-time Jobs

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

JemimaPuddleduck

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Mar 19, 2017
uk
Hi

Just wondered if anyone had ever tried taking on multiple home based/remote full-time jobs at the same time..?! It might sound a bit random, but I'm a grafter and usually I work pretty quickly, so was considering it as an idea until my business is more established.. At the moment with covid, most roles are home based so I would hopefully have more choice of role. I realise there are downsides to this, but I'm not really looking to build a career, so being fired from one of them wouldn't be an issue and anyway, I could just leave it off my CV ;) Look forward to hearing people's thoughts and ideas :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Hi

Just wondered if anyone had ever tried taking on multiple home based/remote full-time jobs at the same time..?! It might sound a bit random, but I'm a grafter and usually I work pretty quickly, so was considering it as an idea until my business is more established.. At the moment with covid, most roles are home based so I would hopefully have more choice of role. I realise there are downsides to this, but I'm not really looking to build a career, so being fired from one of them wouldn't be an issue and anyway, I could just leave it off my CV ;) Look forward to hearing people's thoughts and ideas :)

Do it, doesn't hurt to have extra money.

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
Promising someone to work gor him 100% is a 100% job
That 2 times is scam.
When Freelancing , its good.
Best ofcourse is working on your business. Happy if you have one.

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
I've done it in the past, and I've done it multiple times.

I've only done it for 2 full-time positions, not 3 or more.

Every time I did it, both positions offered me work from home and working the hours I wanted as long as stuff was done and metrics improved and I was available for meetings, etc.

I was able to work around the meetings pretty well each time too, never a conflict but I consider myself lucky on that front as that was the only thing I couldn't control but it worked out every time I did it.

Typically it is easier to find 1 position where you can work from home and work your own hours, then after 6 months find the 2nd position. This gives you time to get dialed into your 1st position and get a routine down, before you take on the 2nd one.

And no, you are not working for someone 100% like another poster mentioned. No one controls your life 100% of the day and the choices you make. For that, you couldn't pay me enough.

Most jobs just want you from 9-5 ( or 8-5 ). What I do before and after and on the weekends is my business. Especially if the job comes with the benefit of working your own hours as long as the work and metrics are hit.

Side hint, you can normally hire someone to help you with really repetitive tasks in your position, like reporting or XYZ stuff.

If you are really good at what you do, you can prob run circles around other people. What might take someone 8 hours, might only take you 4 hours. Plus hiring someone to help under you could bring it down to 2-3 hours.

I look at it as, I get paid to solve problems and provide value. Not minutes of a day.

If you can provide double the value of a regular person in less time, go for it.

Last edited:

DarkKnight

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jan 3, 2020
I've done it in the past, and I've done it multiple times.

I've only done it for 2 full-time positions, not 3 or more.

Every time I did it, both positions offered me work from home and working the hours I wanted as long as stuff was done and metrics improved and I was available for meetings, etc.

I was able to work around the meetings pretty well each time too, never a conflict but I consider myself lucky on that front as that was the only thing I couldn't control but it worked out every time I did it.

Typically it is easier to find 1 position where you can work from home and work your own hours, then after 6 months find the 2nd position. This gives you time to get dialed into your 1st position and get a routine down, before you take on the 2nd one.

And no, you are not working for someone 100% like another poster mentioned. No one controls your life 100% of the day and the choices you make. For that, you couldn't pay me enough.

Most jobs just want you from 9-5 ( or 8-5 ). What I do before and after and on the weekends is my business. Especially if the job comes with the benefit of working your own hours as long as the work and metrics are hit.

Side hint, you can normally hire someone to help you with really repetitive tasks in your position, like reporting or XYZ stuff.

If you are really good at what you do, you can prob run circles around other people. What might take someone 8 hours, might only take you 4 hours. Plus hiring someone to help under you could bring it down to 2-3 hours.

I look at it as, I get paid to solve problems and provide value. Not minutes of a day.

If you can provide double the value of a regular person in less time, go for it.
Did either of your employers knew about the second job? Any issues if one of them finds out?
Considering doing this with the situation we have with the pandemic and remote work and plan to follow the 'don't ask, don't tell' policy.

AppMan

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
May 25, 2019
You can if there is no way to know if your are working or not on their tasks , many tech company run apps to detect user activity , so you will no fool them for long time . but I bet a lot of companies after Covid 19 who lack infrastructure to monitor employees remotely can be good candidate for that, also the job should not contain meetings otherwise you should find good excuse why we cant attend meetings if there are conflects .

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
Where I live, in Germany, you wouldn’t find someone to give you a higher payed job, who allows to do something similar significant at the side.
When I would do another (official) job beside my main job without telling my employer ( I would have the time) ,I would loose my job very soon.

So here I had to do it as a freelancer. At least the second thing. With the permission of my employer.

Ernman

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Feb 8, 2019
Florida, USA
Depending on the conditions of your employment doing what you suggest could be highly unethical. Notice, I said "could be". It all comes down to what you agree to when you are hired - what's in the employment agreement. I'm not a proponent of shady business dealings as they usually have a way of biting you in the a$$ later on. I'm also not trying to be "all high and mighty" with ethics and morality. There are practical issues associated with what you propose that could be a problem for you sooner or later.

You can do this ethically by working as a consultant or contractor and ensuring that your contract is clear concerning having multiple clients, the work being done, etc. There are many other benefits to this arrangements beside the moral/ethical ones as well. As a consultant you can set a flat rate for a project or campaign or access, etc. As long as your client is happy with your work or product they have no reason to know, and likely don't care, how much time you're spending on them.

valuepoint1

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Sep 4, 2019
I did 4 full-time jobs earlier in the pandemic, all were entry-level type roles that had easy work and low expectations, but everything was manual and sometimes I was working 10+ hours. Money was solid though.

I think 2 full-time remote jobs that both pay well is more ideal, and most people with a work ethic can handle too with smart planning and good prioritization. Stray towards jobs that give you strategic responsibility over manual tasks as well. You will learn a lot more in the former.

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
Did either of your employers knew about the second job? Any issues if one of them finds out?
Considering doing this with the situation we have with the pandemic and remote work and plan to follow the 'don't ask, don't tell' policy.

Neither knew of each other.

Not because I was trying to actively hide it. But because long ago I learned the less people know about you ( in general ), the better.

People have a habit of talking to much and divulging a lot about their free time and personal life. I don't do that.

DarkKnight

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jan 3, 2020
Neither knew of each other.

Not because I was trying to actively hide it. But because long ago I learned the less people know about you ( in general ), the better.

People have a habit of talking to much and divulging a lot about their free time and personal life. I don't do that.
Thanks for the advice. I concur with you. After some experience as a developer working in the corporate (political) world, I've begun to realize just how good is holding back personal info. in professional settings in the log run for sanity and employment purposes.
I follow your SaaS thread regularly and though I am far away from actually building a SaaS myself, that thread sure as hell is the best one on the FLF about SaaS and I learn a thing or two every time I give it a re-read. Thanks for everything you do.

I am a recent immigrant to North America and not familiar with the regulations here. I'd like to know if one of my employers find about the second job, could it land me in legal trouble here? We are talking about standard employment contracts and I don't plan to work a second job at a competitor.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Hi

What about doing freelance work on the side?

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
I dont wanna be an a**hole, but is this the forum where we quit jobs to build companies, or Yahoo Finance?

Might be easy for someone to say, that is already building a company.

But what about those trying to build a safety net before jumping ship?

Sometimes 1 job doesn't cut it for most people. They might need 2 jobs for X reason to save up enough to make the leap in the next 12 months to building their own company.

Besides, I know people working 2 jobs making more than someone who has had a "company" for 10+ years now. In the end, it's all about what options you make for yourself ( freedom, autonomy, financial security, etc )

Sean P

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Jul 4, 2014
Just wondered if anyone had ever tried taking on multiple home based/remote full-time jobs at the same time..?!
Most successful freelancers work multiple jobs, none of which could be considered "part-time", since each involves working at least a few hours every day.

In any case, with millions sitting at home now and looking for remote jobs the question you should ask your self is not "Can I take on multiple home based/remote full-time jobs at the same time?"

Instead it should be, "Can I get even one full-time remote job with the skills that I have at this time?"

Just curious, but why don't you plan on scaling up your FBA business or your real estate one, as mentioned in your intro post? Either one of the two can keep your hands full, if done correctly.

spreng

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Jul 1, 2019
Hi

I've thought about this and wondered whether people are currently doing it with all of this wfh. It would certainly be an interesting experiment for sure. The risk you run, of course, is getting fired. In this stage in America's decline, you legit need to work 3 full time jobs to make 6 figures unless you get promoted quickly. And a lot of people don't have that sort of time to wait if they have a family to feed or sick parents to support. If you are actually intent on doing this, it can be done if you are competent and very smart. A lot of jobs i've found have been hiring just to fill seats due to the economics of seed phases in venture capital. So they overhire, and there isn't enough work to be done at all.... Just make sure you complete your job duties diligently so you can keep your ethical responsibilities intact.

G

GuestUser4aMPs1

Besides, I know people working 2 jobs making more than someone who has had a "company" for 10+ years now. In the end, it's all about what options you make for yourself ( freedom, autonomy, financial security, etc )

This.

Had a company for ~3ish years, sold right before rona. Now, I make more working for others and work less because of what I learned doing my own thing. By extension I have waaay less stress and am much happier than running a company.

Only downside is a job isn't an asset you can sell, but a business is — Hence why it's advocated here as a vehicle for getting rich, or at the very least a quick retirement.

@monfii I'm not trying to shill jobs here, but I know a lot of very capable people here that, like me, ran companies and then started working for others making low-to-mid six figures yearly. Also, they're happier and less stressed...and it's not like they sold out and don't build stuff anymore. I still work on my own things outside of work.

There's something to be said for both sides. The common ground should be no matter what, be in control of your destiny. Enough opportunities come my way that I never feel trapped, despite it not being my own business...And to anyone who ran a business knows, you can feel trapped even in your own business.

My $0.02

BD64

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Jul 26, 2017
Denver, CO
This.

Had a company for ~3ish years, sold right before rona. Now, I make more working for others and work less because of what I learned doing my own thing. By extension I have waaay less stress and am much happier than running a company.

Only downside is a job isn't an asset you can sell, but a business is — Hence why it's advocated here as a vehicle for getting rich, or at the very least a quick retirement.

@monfii I'm not trying to shill jobs here, but I know a lot of very capable people here that, like me, ran companies and then started working for others making low-to-mid six figures yearly. Also, they're happier and less stressed...and it's not like they sold out and don't build stuff anymore. I still work on my own things outside of work.

There's something to be said for both sides. The common ground should be no matter what, be in control of your destiny. Enough opportunities come my way that I never feel trapped, despite it not being my own business...And to anyone who ran a business knows, you can feel trapped even in your own business.

My $0.02
I second this. I've had multiple attempts at starting and working in my own business full-time that didn't pan out for me financially or emotionally.

Having a job has allowed me to have desperately needed structure and stability which has made progress at my own ventures much more successful in the past ~6 months.

I'm still far from Fastlane but with a good-paying, remote job I've actually seen increased income, become more productive, and been forced to be more strategic/process-oriented with my efforts.

D

Deleted78083

This.

My $0.02
Yeah, I get it, we are all different and have all different needs, and this is fine.

To me though, the whole purpose of the fastlane is that you work like crazy building your CENTS company for 10 years then retire so you're free.

Getting two jobs sounds very much like this whole "get rich when you are old" typical slowlane strategy not to follow as explained in the books.

BD64

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Jul 26, 2017
Denver, CO
Yeah, I get it, we are all different and have all different needs, and this is fine.

To me though, the whole purpose of the fastlane is that you work like crazy building your CENTS company for 10 years then retire so you're free.

Getting two jobs sounds very much like this whole "get rich when you are old" typical slowlane strategy not to follow as explained in the books.
Fair enough and yeah, I don't really agree with 2 jobs that you are working @ for 40/hrs wk each on. That just seems like an extreme sale of time for money and is slowlane. However, if used as means to an end which IS fastlane then I see no issue with it.

As others have pointed and as is the case with my job - some of them don't actually require or even care about the amount of time you put in... There are plenty of performance-based jobs, especially remote ones that only care about your output (results), NOT input (hours worked). Doing 2 well-paying full-time jobs in the time it takes most people to do 1 can definitely put you on the fastlane

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013

True, but that assumes:

1. You can build a company

2. That you can build a company worth something

3. You AND your company can survive 10 years

4. You can sell the company or arrange profit coming to you when you want to sell/retire

I fully understand that is the same with a job(s) too. Trust me on that. A job is not secure.

I just want to point out, it's not always as easy as "that you work like crazy building your CENTS company for 10 years then retire so you're free." There are plenty of people that never got Fastlane with their business who have been it for 10 years, let alone sell it and fund their retirement.

I've got a used appliance guy I know who has ran his business for 40 years. Got employees and steady business. But no one wants to buy his business. He is well into retirement, but can't find a buyer after 3 years of looking. His retirement will either be working in the business still, or closing down shop and laying off his employees. At his age he doesn't want a long term finance deal, he might not live 10+ more years.

I know another who is a landscaper who has done this for 8 years. A damn good one too. In his 30's. He wants out, but not at a loss. He can't find the right buyer either. Finally, last week all his customers got a letter he is no longer doing landscaping here at the last minute coming into spring. Most of his workers will be laid off ( and I lost a good landscaper in the process ). All the other landscapers are overjoyed at the new business they will pick up.

Both sides are a risk with unexpected outcomes.

Im all for building a company, but I want the other side to be clear as it can be too for reasoning purposes.

In a plan like this, the idea would be to not spend the income you make from the second job. It would be to save it and use it for your business, or investing, or RE or w/e got you to Fastlane.

I dont think anyone advocated working 2 full-time jobs your whole life so you could retire old and slowlane.

Last edited:

mr4ffe

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Nov 3, 2018
Stockholm, Sweden
I heard about an ex-Google engineer who did this with six jobs. He outsourced all his work to contacts he had in Sicily. IDK if anyone might know who I'm talking about.

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
What about monogamy at the job?
Why not get a job where you can control your income in a range?
Double hours with 20/80 can double or tripple your income!

BTW, is it possible in US to work 2 legaly taxed jobs without each other knowing?

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
What about monogamy at the job?
Why not get a job where you can control your income in a range?
Double hours with 20/80 can double or tripple your income!

BTW, is it possible in US to work 2 legaly taxed jobs without each other knowing?

If you don't talk about it yourself, how would either job know about each other?

Outside of your own business, if you need to make $140k a year.. it's typically easier to land 2 $70k a year jobs, than 1 $140k a year job. Also what happens if that 1 $140k year a job vanishes after 4 months, like the case with Corona Virus or another event? You could maybe luck out and keep one of your $70k jobs if the other doesn't pan out.

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
If you don't talk about it yourself, how would either job know about each other?
Ok.

I didn’t know about US customs.
In Germany a employer can download the data of the employees from governmet.
You can have one main job. That main employer can download all data.
It to pay taxes employer to state.
And to control!

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
Ok.

I didn’t know about US customs.
In Germany a employer can download the data of the employees from governmet.
You can have one main job. That main employer can download all data.
It to pay taxes employer to state.
And to control!
Did not know that.

Thiago Machado

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
May 20, 2014
@mr4ffe - do you have a link to that thread?

Seems interesting. I've heard about people doing this too but it's rarely talked about.

Outsourcing your own job seems like a good first step into entrepreneurship/people management haha.

spreng

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Jul 1, 2019
Outside of your own business, if you need to make $140k a year.. it's typically easier to land 2 $70k a year jobs, than 1 $140k a year job. Also what happens if that 1 $140k year a job vanishes after 4 months, like the case with Corona Virus or another event? You could maybe luck out and keep one of your $70k jobs if the other doesn't pan out.

It seems like every year, an industry dies or goes completely off the rails. Gen Z and millennials are getting tossed around from bad job to bad job. RIP

Ernman

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Feb 8, 2019
Florida, USA
I am a recent immigrant to North America and not familiar with the regulations here. I'd like to know if one of my employers find about the second job, could it land me in legal trouble here? We are talking about standard employment contracts and I don't plan to work a second job at a competitor.
Only a lawyer can provide true legal counsel. That said, I strongly recommend you read your employment agreement thoroughly. Most remedies in an employment contract get more harsh as your seniority increases. But you need to understand what your employment contract/agreement allows. Some companies allow part time jobs that don't interfere with your full time commitments to them.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.